Promises

Promises

“Promise me that you won’t leave me here alone” the 7 years old Hana spoke cutely to her same age friend. The boy patted her head and nodded his head. “I promise that I would not and will never leave you” He answered as he held her hand.

“Ready or not, here I come!”

“Oh no, he’s coming” Hana whimpered, holding the boy’s hand tightly. “It’s alright, Hana. I’m here” He kissed her forehead for the first time. She looked up and smiled widely. “Thanks”

 

From the corner of her eyes, she saw him smiling brightly to the girl of his dream. Her heart was crushed once again but she was used to it already. Slowly, she closed her locker and headed out of school.

She had tried to forget about her feeling for him and just move on but it was impossible. How can she just let it go so easily? He had made a big impact in her life, and set a special label in her heart. She just wished he would do the same thing as her. Her mind was occupied by him, his smile, his personality, his charm; everything about him just came to her.

Her legs weaken as she wanted to just cry her heart out but no, she had to be strong. Strong. He once said to her that she was a strong girl to overcome everything. If only he knew that it was hard thing to do right now.

“Hana!” She turned around, only to see him.

“Hey Jongup” She managed to greet him and strike a smile.

He put his arm around her shoulder and smiled sweetly at her.

That smile.

It broke her heart knowing that his girl would see his smile more often than her.

“Why didn’t you wait for me?” He asked sadly. She sighed and looked at him. Why didn’t you wait for me, Jongup? Why can’t you give more time to prepare to confess to you? Why?

“I want you to spend more time with your girlfriend more” She lied. “Oh come on, at least wait for me for 5 minutes” Jongup bring her closer to him and ruffled her hair.

“Stop it, Jongup”

“You can’t make me” He leaned in to her face and stuck out his tongue. She stepped back and looked away. Her face was red seeing him up close.

“Listen, I actually have to tell you something” Jongup said, fixing her hair carefully. She stayed silent and nodded.

“I won’t be able to go to your dance competition”

Hana’s mind went blank, she felt like crying all over again. Please don’t tell me it’s because of your girlfriend, Jongup. Please.

“I have a date with my girlfriend, and she really want the date to be that day” He gave his sorry face and sighed. “I know you’re mad –”

“No, I’m not”

Jongup stared at her. Her expression stiffened and showed no emotion. Maybe she really is not mad.

“It’s just a competition anyway” She reasoned, with a slight smile. Even though she was hurt, she couldn’t do anything about it. He was supposed to be with his girlfriend, not her, they were deeply in love too… while she gets a one-sided love.

“You’re the best, Hana! I promise I’ll come to your other competition” He hugged her tightly and whispered to her ear.

“Yeah” Was the only thing that came out from her lips.

 

“Where’s Jongup?” One of her close friend, Jimin, asked her while stretching his arms. She just shook her head and gave a sad smile to him. Jimin knew it immediately. He sighed angrily and crossed his arms. “Again?”

“It’s alright, Jimin” She reassured him. “It’s not alright, Hana. Look at you! I can see your disappointed expression clearly” He exclaimed. He pulled her up from her seat and looked deeply into her eyes.

“If you love him so much, you gotta step up in the game” He said, with a hint of anger. Sometimes Hana even wonder why Jimin was always being like this whenever Jongup was absent from her dance competitions. He gets worked up over her love life which was supposed to be hidden away from him and everyone. But he managed to solved the puzzle of her love life.

“I know you’re worried about me, Jimin, but let’s just focus on this routine –”

“No”

“Jimin –”

“Kim Hana, you are going to fight for him because you’re madly in love with him” Jimin said firmly but all she sees was his eyes showing pain… or was she just imagining it?

“Do you love him, Hana?”

 “I d-do”

“Be confident, Hana” He patted her arm lightly. “Let me ask you again” He said and breathed deeply.

“Do you love him?”

“Yes, I do!” She exclaimed loudly, gaining a smile from Jimin. “Good, now let’s get him” He winked and dragged her out. Her eyes widened and tried to stop from being drag but Jimin was too strong.

“What about the competition?”

“We can ditch that, we’re going to meet your source of happiness” He answered, smiling that looked like a force in her eyes.

 

“Where is he?” Jimin looked left and right, already confused with the way where Jongup is. Hana turned to face Jimin and tapped his shoulder. “Can we take a rest for a while?”

They were searching for Jongup for an hour and Hana was definitely tired. He sighed and nodded his head, bringing her to the nearby bench.

“Why are you helping me anyway?” She asked as they sat down. Jimin just shrugged and ignored her question. Hana pouted and wiped her sweat.

“You shouldn’t give up so fast, Hana” Jimin muttered, enough for her to hear it. “But I’ve waited way too long” She stated, tapping her feet and sighed.

Jimin stared at the girl in front of him, that beautiful face with a sad expression hurt him to the max. He wanted to make her happy all the time but he couldn’t, he wasn’t her happiness, the one that can make a smile. It was all Jongup’s work to do that.

He grabbed her hand, which sent him a tingling feeling but he was able to keep a straight face, and pulled her up. “Let’s continue” He spoke, smiling forcefully to her. She raised her eyebrows, feeling suspicious. “Okay”

 

“Jongup, can you hand me that magazine?” Hyomi, Jongup’s girlfriend, asked while pointing it. Jongup smiled and stood up immediately to take it. He grabbed it and scanned the magazine. It’s about girls stuff again. He rolled his eyes and gave it to his girlfriend.

It was obvious that Jongup was bored to death. He wanted to do something exciting and fun but Hyomi wanted to relax. If only Hana was here, she would definitely up for some excitement. He smiled thinking about her, ignoring the calls from Hyomi.

“Babe?”

Jongup finally snapped out from his thoughts and looked at Hyomi. “Yeah?”

She crossed her arms and shot some annoyed face at him. “Hana’s looking for you outside” She rolled her eyes and read her magazine. Jongup’s head turned around, seeing Hana outside the café with someone he knew.

Jimin.

He fixed his shirt and headed out.

“Hey Hana and… Jimin” Jongup greeted happily to Hana but throwing invisible draggers to Jimin. “What are you doing here?” He asked, clearly confused of the sudden appearance.

Jimin whispered something to Hana and pushed her lightly forward. Jongup was really confused now. “Um Jongup, I just wanted to say…” She bit her lips and closed her eyes. “That…”

Jongup began to feel nervous. Why? He had no idea. “What is it, Hana?” He whispered softly. Hana opened her eyes and looked at him. “I like you… since a long time”

Jongup didn’t know what to do but looked at Jimin.

All he saw was an angry Jimin.

“Hana – I’m quite speechless now but…” Jongup rubbed his neck and gave a sad smile to her. “I can’t do this, not when…”

Jimin suddenly pushed Hana back and grabbed Jongup’s collar harshly. “Jimin, stop!” Hana shouted, her tears slowly flow down. The rejection feeling arched her heart so badly. She tried to separate the both of them but again, Jimin pushed her away.  

Jimin couldn’t take it anymore. Why is Jongup doing this? He brought Jongup far enough so that Hana wouldn’t able to hear their conversation.

“What the hell are you doing?” Jimin asked Jongup harshly. Jongup pushed Jimin away from him and groaned. “Stop it, Jimin. I know what I’m doing”

Jimin kicked the nearby trashcan angrily and screamed. “Jimin! You have to stop this”

“I can’t, I just can’t handle her crying anymore. It hurts me!” He yelled. Jongup sighed and looked at his friend. He felt sorry for Jimin, it was his fault. Everything was his fault. But it was a natural thing. He can’t control those feelings.

“Jimin, look, I gave you Hana to show your feeling to her and I even stay away from her” Jongup explained, grabbing Jimin’s shoulder to make him calm down.

“I know”

“Then what is the problem?”

Jimin rubbed his temple and kept quiet for awhile. “I couldn’t do it, Jongup. She loves you, like madly in love. How am I supposed to fight that?” He spoke.

“And you love her too, Jongup. I knew since the day we three met each other” He continued. His heart hurt that moment, he hated how he was the third wheel, and he was the one that felt with one-sided love.

Jongup was speechless, he felt guilty. “J-Jimin, I’m sorry”

“No” Jimin stared at him. “I’m the one that supposed to say sorry, if I didn’t fall for her, you would be together with her already” he weakly smiled. “Listen Jongup, I want you to make it right”

Jongup sighed.

“What about you, Jimin? You love her too” He stated. Jimin chuckled bitterly and shook his head. “It would be better if Hana is with you since she loves you”

“And I’ll be fine” He finished his sentence and lead the way back to where Hana was.

 

“Jimin… Jongup” Hana said, avoiding Jongup after seeing him standing beside Jimin. “Hana, I think you should talk with Jongup now” Jimin said, as he patted her back. Hana blinked and shook her head furiously. “No, I don’t want to talk to him” she pulled Jimin closer and whispered to him.

Jimin pulled away and kissed her forehead like he usually does to assure her that it would be fine. He started to walked away from his friends with his hand turned into a fist.

Hana stared at her friend walking away and then looked at Jongup. “I’m sorry, Jongup. I didn’t mean to interrupt your date with Hyomi” she waited for him to reply but a sudden contact on her lips was felt. Her eyes widened seeing Jongup was kissing her so passionately. Slowly, she gave in and kissed him back.

But does this mean? Does he like her too?

“J-Jongup” She tried to part them both. “Mhmm” He replied with one last contact on his lips with her. “I-I”

“I like you too, Hana” Jongup confessed with a confident smile. Surprised, Hana couldn’t process those words in her head.

“Y-You do? But what about Hyomi?” She stuttered, a little embarrassed. “It’s a long story” He chuckled.

Little did they know, Jimin saw everything. He was jealous, that was a fact but he couldn’t do anything. He sighed and placed his hand on his chest. It was as if he can hear his heart crushing down.

“Damn it” He muttered and closed his eyes. “You said it yourself, Jimin. If you love her, you gotta let her go” He whispered silently.

He turned around from the scene and his footsteps became heavier as he walked further and further.

 

“Where are you?”

“Somewhere”

“Where, Jimin?” Hana asked, a little frustrated. After the whole confession from Jongup, Jimin started to stay away from them.

Jimin rubbed his temple and sighed. “You don’t need to know, Hana” He answered, taking another sip of his beer.

“I need to know, Jimin. Please” She begged. “Can you give your phone to Jongup?” Jimin asked her, ignoring her statement. She reluctantly handed it to her now official boyfriend who was beside her.

“Jimin wants to talk to you” She said. Jongup nodded and stood up, taking her phone to somewhere far. “Hey” Jongup greeted the person on the phone. “Hey”

“Jongup, please, take care of her” Jimin suddenly said. Jongup was confused and mad. He wanted to track down Jimin and tell him to stop being an idiot. “What do you mean? Park Jimin, you better tell me the truth now!” He screamed through the phone. Jimin went oddly silent.

“I’m going somewhere tomorrow and” Jongup breathed in, waiting for Jimin to continue. “And you won’t see me anymore”

“Sorry” He said, a little hesitant to tell his friend.

“Jimin, you don’t have to do this” Jongup gripped the phone hard. “No, I have to do this”

Jimin let out a bitter laugh. “Remember when we were kids, we told each other that love is a useless thing and that we won’t be hurt if we don’t have it” He reminded Jongup.

Oh boy, Jongup remembered that moment well.

 

“But I love you, Yongguk. I really do but why did you cheat on me?” The girl inside the screen who Jimin can’t recall her name. “I never liked you” The man, Yongguk, slammed the door shut angrily.

The girl fell on her knees and cried. “Yongguk –”

The TV screen became black after Jimin immediately switched it off. The 9 year old boys looked at each other. “That was boring” Jongup finally spoke. Jimin nodded to agree and crossed his arms.

“What if we fall in love when we’re older?” Jimin asked. Jongup shrugged. “I never thought of that”

“It’s probably gonna get in our way of lives, and it will be complicated too” Jimin said. Jongup nodded and replied him back with ‘yeah’.

“Can you imagine we both falling for the same girl?” Jimin suddenly asked jokingly. Jongup raised his eyebrow. “Then we will have to fight with each other”

“True, maybe we shouldn’t even try to fall inlove”

“I guess so”

“Promise not to fall for the same girl?” Jimin let out his pinky to Jongup. Without hesitation, he sealed their promise.

But that promise broke not too long. As a matter of fact, it broke the moment Hana came to the living room, dressing like a pretty princess outfit.

 

“You felt it too, didn’t you?” Jimin asked through the phone. Jongup sighed and said yes. “Now tell me where you are, Jimin”

Jongup knew Jimin was drunk. The way he speaks was blur but Jongup managed to understand. “You don’t have to know, Moon Jongup” and he kept saying it again and again.

 

Hana woke up to the sound of her alarm clock. She got up and dress for school. On her way there, she had two unread messages. One was from Jongup saying good morning and another was from…. Jimin.

“Jimin?” Hana mumbled as she clicked to read. They haven’t been texting or talking for a week or so since Jongup confessed to her. She had only conclusion about Jimin but it was hard for her to even believe it.

From: Jiminnie~

Hey Hana, I know I haven’t been talking to you these days which I am really sorry about it. I know I’m an idiotic, stupid, annoying and the list could go on forever, so I’m putting a stop sign in our friendship. This is going to sound pretty nothing to you since you have Jongup but here goes nothing…

I like you too, Hana.

You might not want to see me again after knowing that. This is why I’m moving away from here. From you. You maybe not noticed but I’ve been inlove with you since the day I met you. It felt different in my little heart that day, but I decided to ignore it since I was young to know about love.

I really hope you don’t find me, Hana. And tell Jongup that too. I want you both to be happy together… just without me in the picture. Jongup is your source of happiness, not me.

I need a time off by myself. And maybe I could try to forget this feeling but you would understand how hard this is.

Hopefully we’ll meet in the future.

Goodbye, Hana.

 

Hana’s tears came down to her cheek as she finished reading the text. “Hana?” Jongup’s voice was heard. She turned and jumped to him. “He’s gone….” She hugged him tightly and Jongup hugged her back.

“It’s gonna be okay, Hana” He said, her hair. “I want to find him, Jongup” She pulled his arm but he stopped her. “No, Hana. I promised him that I wouldn’t find him and to take care of you”

“Besides, I’ve already broke a promise to him”

A little confused, Hana stared at him. “What promise?”

“To not fall for the same girl”

“W-What?”

“I don’t want to talk about it, Hana. It’s just that…” Jongup searched something from his bag and took out his phone. “Read this”

Hey Jongup, can you tell Hana that I’m sorry… because I broke my promise to her? Thanks bro.

“Promise? What promise?”

“I promise that I would not and will never leave you”

 


Finally posted the story. Yay!

I wasn't really satisfied with the ending though T_T

Anyway, I prolly make a sequel for this... You guys might be curious what will happen to Jimin and the couple so yeah.

Please comment about this one shot! Thanks!