Chapter 15

I'm a Chaser
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After leaving snot all over Youngjae’s suit, I decided that it was definitely time to go.

So, the night pretty much ended on that note. I went home with my parents like nothing happened. I told Eunji that night what had went down, she rushed over and we ate ice cream like no tomorrow. I don’t know what happened with Daehyun and Eunhee but I didn’t really care to know. I needed to focus on myself for once and withdraw myself from the drama.

But, even if I wasn’t looking for drama, it still showed up on my doorstep.

“Daehyun, what are you doing here?”

Daehyun was standing outside my door and I wanted nothing more than to close the door on him. But, I couldn’t hit him, it would ruin that pretty face and that would just be a waste.

“Ta Dah!” He was holding something behind his back and pulled it out to show me. I gagged and he looked at me in surprise. “What’s wrong?”

“I have been eating mint chocolate chip ice cream all night.” I waved my hand in front of me. “I can’t look at another carton.”

“But, you love it.” He tried to defend it.

“Why did you bring that anyways?”

“To say I’m sorry.” He looked down at the container. “I’m sorry for using our friendship in that way.”

“I understand.”

He looked up again. His face said it all. He wasn’t expecting my response to be that. “You forgive me?”

“Of course.” The whole night, I realized I was the one in the wrong. I was going to be a lawyer, yet I believed the rumors about Eunhee so easily. And rumors and I never got along anyways so what was I doing listening to them. “Actually, since we’re coming clean now, there is something I want to be forgiven about.” He looked at me with curiosity. “Daehyun.” I took a deep breath. “I liked you.” I blurted. “Not like as in liking each other as friends, I actually thought of you as a potential boyfriend. Even after I knew you liked Eunhee and even after I knew you guys were dating, I was still trying to make you look my way. I know it’s horrible but I couldn’t stop myself. If I kept going, I would have ended up hurting you and Eunhee and I apologize for it.” I inhaled a breath and looked up at him. “I hope this doesn’t change our friendship because I still want to keep you around.” I laughed out loud after seeing his expression.

His eyes widened and he opened his mouth to say anything but nothing was coming out. I didn’t blame him. What could he say here? I looked down at the ice cream container. “Maybe I will take it.” I took it from his hand. “Now, you can go home.”

“Wait!” He stopped me from closing the door. “You l-like m-me?”

“Liked, Daehyun. Get it together.” I joked. “I wish you and Eunhee happiness. From the bottom on my heart.”

“Oh.” He gave me a blank stare. Isn’t he supposed to be happy? I waved my hand in front of him. “Earth to Daehyun.” I chuckled. “You should be relieved! What are you doing with that expression on your face?” I laughed again. I felt relieved so why didn’t he look like he felt the same way?

“Right.” He laughed weakly. “I’ll see you around.” He gave me a smile but it wasn’t as bright as I thought it would be. Weird. I brushed off the feeling and smiled back. “See you at school.” I watched him turn around and head to his car. When he drove off, I closed my front door.

 “Soojin, we need to talk.” My mom called out.

 

 

 

Why didn’t I say I would rather clean my room or eat ice cream until I would throw up? Why did I have to say blind dates out of all the possibilities in the world? Because she really was out to get me to change my mind. For the next few weeks, there were dates already set up for me. Wonderful woman, really. She was desperate on changing my decision…but there was no way I was going abroad. Not in this lifetime.

So…back to the problem at hand.

I was thinking of rolling my eyes but I had to make sure that I wasn’t actually going to roll them while I was in front of company.

It really is a struggle.

“ – My family owns three hotels and that's just in Korea.”

“That’s very interesting.” I took a sip from my water so I wouldn’t groan out loud. I really didn’t care! But, the guy is so damn gullible that he took what I said to heart. He gave me a contented smile and I gave one back.

“What about you?” He leaned forward to rest his chin on his hand.

“My family just owns a firm…just one.” I stated nonchalantly.

He nodded his head. “And it’s big and very renowned.”

I hummed an agreement.

“You’re graduating soon, aren’t you?”

That’s right. Graduation was next week already. Time has been breezing by. I was still in the process of getting over Daehyun and Daehyun had been happy with Eunhee. His mom finally gave him her blessings and their love is going strong. But, because I have been so busy with blind dates, Daehyun has been the last thing on my mind. Also, I recently found out that I was on the list to potentially receive the scholarship. That’s right, everybody! Kang Soojin had finally defeated math!

“Yes – “

“Soojin?”

I looked up to find a familiar face. “Himchan?” I looked beside him to see a very pretty girl. Most likely his date, glad to see he finally found someone. He gave me a big grin, happy to see that I still recognized him.

“How have you been?” He turned to look at my blind date and stopped himself. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to intrude.” He shook the guy’s hand. I looked down at my watch and silently begged for it to be 9 pm. That was the scheduled time for me to be home. And when I looked down, I wanted to scream out to the heavens above because it was two minutes to 9.

I placed my lap napkin onto the table. “Sorry for cutting the dinner short but I promised my mom to be home. Thank you, for the dinner.” I bowed and grabbed my stuff.

“Can I call you again about a second date?” The guy stopped me. Oh gosh, what is his name again?

I politely smiled. “You have to discuss that with my mom.” I turned to Himchan. “It was nice seeing you again but I should go. See you around.” I just wanted to be home. I turned and left the restaurant.

I walked towards the sidewalk and looked for a taxi. I should really start taking my car.  

“Soojin!”

I turned around at the call of my name. Himchan jogged over and stood in front of me. “Let me take you home.” I looked over his shoulder but didn’t see anyone following him.

I looked back at him confused. “What about your date?”

“Don’t worry about it.” He grabbed my hand and pulled me with him without hearing my response. He opened the passenger door for me and he, in turn, got into the car.

What kind of situation is this? How did I end up in Himchan’s car? I looked over from time to time to look at him until he noticed. He laughed. “Is there something on my face?” He kept his eyes focused on the road.

“No, I was just wondering why I’m in your car.” I answered light heartedly.

“Don’t you think it’s meant to be?”

I was taken aback by the question. It was true that it has been a few months since the last time we met but, we both live in Seoul. It was bound to happen sometime.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Well, after all this time, I catch you at a restaurant and now, I’m taking you home.”

“So what you’re saying is, this is fate.” I said jokingly. I’ll play along for a bit, it’s nice talking to Himchan again after all.

“So, you agree?” He turned to me with anticipation.

I looked at him shocked. “Eyes on the road!” I pushed him slightly and he laughed at my reaction. Then he proceeded to playfully flip his head back and forth between the road and me. “Himchan!” I laughed and placed my hand on his cheek to keep his head straight. “You’re so immature!” We both laughed and honestly, I felt better. It was strange, I wasn’t close to Himchan, yet I felt so relaxed around him. It was the same feeling when we were on the blind date. 

It was faintly disappointing to see that we arrived at my home. Himchan got out the car and went over to my side so he could open the passenger door.

“Well, thank you for taking me home.” He ignored me and leaned against the car and looked at me. “Is there something on my face?” I joked, repeating his words.

“Are you still with that Daehyun kid?”

Himchan never fails to surprise me with his blunt questions. “We were never together. We’re just friends.” I answered without missing a beat.

“Then, you’re still on the market.” He concluded and I nodded.

“Sure, I guess.”

“So, it wouldn’t be a bad thing if I asked you for your number.”

I laughed. “What about the girl from earlier?”

“Isn’t it obvious that I picked you over her?” He retorted. “I’m not a mean guy and for you, I left a very pretty girl who had a bright future in the restaurant so I could take you home.”

“What are you saying?” I decided to see how far he would go.

“So the least you can do is to give me your number and maybe agree to another date.” He cleared his throat and folded his arms playfully.

I nodded my head. “That’s a valid statement you have there.”

“Soojin!” I turned my head from Himchan and looked to the side. What I saw had me confused.

“Daehyun? What are you doing here?” He quickly met up with us and I straightened up. When he was slowly disappearing from my mind, he had to show up again. He keeps ruining everything. All m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter