How to save a life [Chapter 1]

How to save a life [Prologue]

--

 

"Dr. Cho, your presence is needed at the Emergency Room" one of the nurses on duty mentioned.

"Dr. Cho?"

He snapped back to reality at the sound of his name.

"Ah yes, what is it?" Kyuhyun quickly mumbled.

"Your presence is needed at the Emergency Room" the nurse repeated.

Kyuhyun nodded, standing up from his post and slung his stethoscope around his neck.

Cho Kyuhyun, M.D, Surgery-Cardiology, was now his title, he deliberately continued with his studies despite the terrible loss. Instead, he graduated ahead of the others; complete with honors, and was known as one of Korea's best doctors at the young age of 23.

Yet, albeit the success he got into, he remained composed. Only showing emotion when the situation needed it. He still longs for his family, that's a fact, and ever waiting for the day that his father will whisper in his ear:



"I'm proud of you son, keep it up"



But that was all too late. All that mattered now was living up to his dream and carrying his father's legacy.

He made his way towards the Emergency Room when he was greeted by Donghae.
"Ah, good, you're here." Donghae exclaimed.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. "What is it now, Dr. Lee?"

The other doctor frowned, "Seriously, this guy's got attitude problems..but, I wouldn't blame him though.."he thought.

"You can call me by my first name, you know" Donghae taunted.

"I'd rather not, besides, I think it's proper to use formality while we are in our professional fields" came Kyuhyun's reply.

"Yeah, yeah...whatever..tss" Donghae waved a hand at his statement.

"Follow me"



--


They entered a private ward with an unconscious man on the hospital bed and a young boy standing beside him.

"I'm assigning him to you" Donghae began, crossing his arms to his chest.

"Great..." Kyuhyun lazily replied.

"Heh, I know I could count on you" Donghae grinned as he handed Kyuhyun the patient's records.

"Geez..why don't you do it?" Kyuhyun asked.

"I'm the boss of you, kid. Now stop complaining and start working" Donghae answered back.

"Don't forget, you have to check on him from time to time, 24/7. This lad's got comprimising issues.." Donghae added as he turned to leave.

Kyuhyun shrugged and proceeded to check on the records.



Name: Lee Sungmin

Age: 25

Birthdate: 01/01/86

.

.

.


He was going through the records of his patient when he heard a voice cracked. His ears perked up and lifted his head.

"D-Doc... is my brother gonna be ok?" the young boy asked.

Kyuhyun cleared his throat, seeing the boy's tear-stricken face, he couldn't help but to feel remorseful.

"I'll do whatever I can Mr...?" his statement more of a question.

"Lee Sungjin" the boy answered.

"Right, Mr. Lee Sungjin, your brother is in good hands." he eyed the man in the bed.

Sungjin let out a relieved sigh, wiping his tears with his hands.

"Hang in there Sungmin-hyung.." he whispered.

Kyuhyun pursed his lips. "Do you mind telling me what happened?"

"Oh... he broke up with his boyfriend recently.." Sungjin lowered his head.

"Broken-heart issues? tsk, what a pain" Kyuhyun thought.

"He got so depressed of what had happened, that he couldn't get over it for a month or so... until I found him unconscious on our bedroom a few hours ago. The doctor awhile ago said that he got ovrdosed with some pills that I didn't knew about.." his voice started to crack.

"And what's worse, he got this heart ailment that's been draining him. I think his depression only added to it." Sungjin ended.

Kyuhyun sighed. Suicidal issues are SO not my gig. he silently reminded himself. And yet, he finds himself having the urge to help this man.

"I reassure you Mr. Sungjin, your brother will be safe" Kyuhyun repeated, determination eminent in his voice.