How to save a life [Prologue]

How to save a life [Prologue]

--


A 7 yr old Kyuhyun prodded about the Cho Residence, clutching his favorite toy in hand, he ran aimlessly towards the living room in search for his mother.

"Umma~!" 

"Ah, Kyuhyun..what is it?" his mther cooed, lifting him up so he could sit in her lap.

"Where's Appa? I thought he'd be home early.." Kyuhyun pouted, making his mother chuckle in amusement.

"Appa will be coming home late again, sweetie.." Kyuhyun remained silent.

"You know he's just doing his job, saving other people's lives..besides, you also wanted to be like him right? So I'll guess you can understand his situation.." his mother continued, gradually placing a kiss on the youngster's forhead.

"Will I really become a doctor, Umma?" Kyuhyun's eyes sparkled, lifting his toy in front of him.

His mother smiled at his son's innocence. "Of course you are, that is if you study really hard." she reassured him and gave him a tight hug.

"Oh, I will!" he beamed. He got off his mother's lap and ran back to his room.

"So, he really wants to become a doctor, huh?" Cho Kyujong appeared out of the corner.
"Kyujong.." their mother mouthed.

"Guess, I'll be the blacksheep then." Kyujong folded his arms to his chest.

"Honey, you know that being an architect isn't to your father's liking."

"I know"

"But, I'll go in with what I want...If it makes me happy..won't you be happy too?" Kyujong asked, desperation written all over his face.

"Oh honey.." Cho Min ah breathed, taking her son in her arms, whispering encouraging words.

"I'm sure your father will understand"


--

5 years later..


"Umma! Appa! I won the Science contest!" 12 year old Kyuhyun came shouting at the front door.

He shoved the medal and certificate in front of his father's face. Cho Kyungjae laughed.

"That's my boy!" he ruffled his son's hair as his mother and elder brother looked on smiling.

"You're getting smarter than me, little brat?" his brother teased. Kyuhyun stuck his tongue out at him and felt himself being pulled." "Congratulations, little bro"

"Thanks, hyung" Kyuhyun smiled.

He turned to look at his father, and slowly approached him. "Do you think I can become like you, Appa?"

Kyungjae smiled. 

"I'm sure you can, Kyuhyun"

"I'm sure you can."

they were a nice and happy family, just like what fairy tales explained. They would talk about their dreams and differences, soon accepting the fact that Kyujong was to become an architect. And all went well, for Kyuhyun's father..his brother and himself.



But not all stories end with a happy ending.


---


"I'm sorry, Mrs. Cho...but we lost him." one of the hospital surgeons said.

"He received multiple head injuries, resulting to a blood clot to the brain.." the doctor continued. "We tried to revive him, really we did..but, the injuries were just too fatal."

"I'm sorry"

Min ah collapsed to the tiled floor, clutching Kyujong's shirt with her hands and started to cry hopeless.

Kyuhyun sat there in shock, eyes wide open and holding his scholarship certificate to Seoul University. A tear dropped to his face, without him realizing it.

He bowed his head. His mentor was gone.

His father.

His inspiration.

A week after the funeral, he would lock himself in his room and start studying, burying his face in different books and not even bothering the pleas of his mother and brother.

He would constantly skip meals, leave his room in a pile of mess and would always wear a frown. He was slowly losing it.

One tiring night, he laid down on the couch in their living room, flashbacks were playing in his mind.

"Do you think I can become like you, Appa?"

Kyungjae smiled. 

"I'm sure you can, Kyuhyun"

"I'm sure you can."


His father's voice was still lingering on his ears.

"You said you wouldn't leave...." he muttered under his breath, tears now flowing at the side of his face.

"You said you'll watch me graduate... and place the medal on me" he continued.

"YOU LIED!" Kyuhyun screamed, eyes now red and puffy as he hugged the pillows beside him. Shoulders shaking as he sobbed down.

"Kyuhyun?" his mother appeared, slowly making her way to her son's curled up form.

"Shh...Kyuhyun, just let it out..," his mother coaxed. Patting her son's back.

"You've hold on for too long, dear..." she began to cry. 

"Cry..its alright. You've been very strong, Kyuhyun.." 


--


By the time he turned 20, Kyuhyun lost everything. He doesn't know why, but freak accidents always take a turn to meet them.

He lost his brother Kyujong, in one of his recent assignments. Apparently, being an architect requires one being on the field, the same day when the accident happened, one of the four metal pillars came crashing down on the construction sight below, killing 9 people, including Kyujong.

His mother died of too much depression.

And by that time, Kyuhyun thought that he had already lost everything. Being orphaned at a young age, he needs more than comfort to ease his broken life. 

He was soon taken under the wing of his remaining relatives, who raised him as his own and later shaped him to what he is now.


But never, in his lifetime, he ever opened up to anyone. His world remained closed.