Trapped

          After dismissal, Hanbi dumped her textbook into her worn out backpack.  It never crossed her mind to buy a new one because she didn’t like wasting money.  Plus, she thought this backpack had character.  It had been there with her since day one of middle school to the end of her high school graduation.  It carried many memories with her.  And strangely, she became attached to this inanimate object up until now.  As Hanbi struggled to zip the backpack shut, Daehyun interrupted.  “Are you alright?”  Hanbi paused and then laughed curtly.  “Why wouldn’t I be, Dae?”  she finally answered.  The male was quite worried; he noticed how annoyed she was after her argument with Luhan.  During class, Hanbi would fidget with the ends of her hair, which she rarely does.  Daehyun squinted his crescent-shaped eyes at her.  “Binnie, don’t lie to me, because you know what I do to liars.”  He smiled knowingly as he inched towards her.  “Don’t you even think about it…”  Her eyes widened as she immediately stood up from her chair and sprinted across the opposite side of the room.  If people saw how vulnerable Hanbi looked right now just because she was scared of being tickled, they would be in complete shock.

 

         Hanbi and Daehyun headed to the campus’s café to cram in some studying.  College life wasn’t all about partying; Hanbi had to work her off over the past year just to get decent grades.  Besides, those get-ups didn’t appeal to her, especially not when people were just desperate to get in someone else's pants.  But Luhan could party day in and day out, and still manage to be one of the top students at their school.  This made Hanbi bitter.  How could a bastard like him be smart?  He didn’t deserve it.   Why did life have to be so unfair?

 

         Hanbi glanced at her wrist watch, realizing there was an hour remaining until her next class.  Daehyun observed Hanbi as she began studying her calculus notes.  She slouched forward, focusing at the examples she had written down.  Every now and then Hanbi would shift uncomfortably in her seat.  Daehyun could tell she was struggling, but she was too stubborn to ask for help because he knew she wanted to use her own efforts instead of someone else's.  The latter couldn’t take his envious eyes off of her.  Hanbi was always someone who never gave up and never stopped trying.  He remembered one summer where he lost his silver pendant that his deceased mother gave him.  It fell off his neck while he was swimming in the lake with his friends and he cried for days because he valued it more than his own life.  The next few weeks, Hanbi returned to the lake and searched endlessly for it.  When it rained she brought an umbrella, when it was 90 degrees outside she brought a bottle of ice cold water to drink.  He could only watch Hanbi from the sidelines after hopeless weeks of searching while Hanbi continued searching her heart out.  Daehyun found it hard to believe that such a person like her even existed.  In the end she couldn't find it, there was no traces of it anywhere.  But knowing that Hanbi cared was already enough and he was grateful.

 

        Hanbi suddenly felt a pair of slender arms wrap around her from behind.  If there was anything she hated as much as Luhan it would be skin ship.  And someone’s grave was going to be dug barehanded by Hanbi herself for laying a finger on her.  Without having to think twice, she extended her arm behind her and twisted the young male’s ear.  “Ow!” Zelo cried, “What was that for?!”  He retracted his body and rubbed his sore ear.  The rest of the guys that followed Zelo erupted into laughter.  They were enlightened, seeing Hanbi like this everyday made their lives refreshing.  “Easy on the kid, princess.  If you keep doing that to him he won’t have an ear.” Yongguk said.  Zelo stomped away to spend money on food that he wouldn't eat: that was his nature when he was in a bad mood.  Strange it was indeed.  “He should know better.”  Hanbi flipped the page of her notebook and chugged her macchiato down.

 

         “So what are you studying?  How to be feminine?” Youngjae joked as he sat in the empty seat next to her.  Hanbi threw him a scowl.  The guy teased Hanbi every chance he got about her being unfeminine, it just amused him to piss her off.  “No, she’s studying how to not be so irresistibly y.”  Himchan winked at her which made Hanbi cringe.  There was no doubt Himchan was the biggest flirt next to Luhan, but the difference between them was that Himchan didn’t use women or step all over their feelings.  “You guys are so dead.”  Jongup said matter-of-factly at Youngjae and Himchan.  Jongup was really the only person Hanbi could tolerate besides the other three.  He sided with her in most situations and didn't flirt with her or try to piss her off. 

 

         When Zelo came back, he brought a thick slab of chocolate cake with him.  He then sat at the corner of the table and stared at it.  Everyone was busy chatting, ignoring Zelo.  Hanbi looked up from studying and at Zelo, feeling slighty guilty.  “Zelo.” She hissed, coming out harsher than it was meant to be.  Hanbi at apologizing, it just got underneath her skin.  The male sighed thinking that she was still mad at him.  She then scribbled something down on a scratch piece of paper and aimed it directly at Zelo’s head.  Even though it was childish for him to act that way she had to say sorry.  She valued their lame friendship, and she also knew she went a bit overboard for yanking his ear.  It was just Hanbi's natural instinct acting on its own.  As soon as Zelo opened the note, his gummy teeth showed.  The young male jumped out of his seat and ran towards Hanbi, giving her a quick hug before she could slap him.  He was the biggest baby she’s ever met, but she learned how to grow fond of him overtime. 

 

         The group of friends were enjoying themselves in the café: laughing at Hanbi, making fun of Hanbi, and testing Hanbi’s patience.  While she sat there trying to study, but losing her complete sanity.  How did she become friends with a bunch of idiots like these ones?  It felt like she was babysitting a bunch of monkeys whenever she was around them.  “You guys are annoying.” she growled.  “Oh come on, princess.  You know we’re just messing with you.”  Yongguk said.  “You’re like a sister we wish we had, but at the same time we really don’t.”  they snickered.  But Yongguk wasn't lying, the guys loved Hanbi like their own sister.   She impacted their lives each even though she met them last year.  There was no denying how strong her friendship with them had grown; it was almost as strong as her’s and Daehyun’s.  If she could show her love for them, she’d do it by strangling them all to death.  Oh, how sadistic Hanbi was.  But that was one of her many problems, she had another 99 that dealt with Luhan. 

 


 

 ❀ Author's Note:

I want to thank -redridinghood for leaving a lovely comment on the first chapter & for subscribing :3  Oh my glob, can we just stop and appreciate Luhan's cute blinking face.  Like mah feels~