The Worst Night [1.2]

My 24 Hour Bodyguard

  Real rehearsals were scheduled to start today for the drama club. We were practicing our roles as European nobility from the middle ages.

 

Yuri: Right you lot! You are all the shining stars of Marie Antoinette's court. Let them eat cake!

You: Ohoho! Come, make me a tower of cakes!

Victoria: O desire a vase b with chocolate! Hahaha!

Yuri: Not bad (your name), Victoria. But your laughter needs work. Like this! Ohohoho-!

You: Ohohoho!

Victoria: Ohohoho!

Yuri: We are to be performing Romeo & Juliet this year, and we will be aiming to take the supreme award!

You: We'll do our best!

Yuri: Now..

 

  I thought I saw Yuro's glasses flash as he turned his attention to Sungmin, who was standing in the back corner of the room.

 

Yuri: Prince Sungmin

Sungmin: Huh..?

Yuri: I'm talking to you, Prince Sungmin. No, Romeo Sungmin! I believe it should be you to play Romeo in this year's production!

Sungmin: Huh!?

Yuri: From the first time I saw you I knew.. You are destined to become a star of the stage!

Sungmin: ...

 

  What is Yuri thinking.. He's already calling him Romeo.. Sungmin was looking at me for help. I shook my head silently in response. Nobody can stop Yuri once she gets going..

 

Sungmin: I'm not interested in performing.

Yuri: Hm.. I thought you might refuse at first. You will need some persuading on your journey to become a prince.

Sungmin: This isn't the three kingdoms, you jnow.

Yuri: I'll concede to you this time. But I promise I will have you as my Romeo!

Sungmin: Honestly..

You: Please Yuri, could you help us with our laughs one more time?

Yuri: I like youe enthusiasm, (your name). Today I wil teach you how to carry that sound without breathing in between!

You: Th-thank you!

 

  For the rest of the day I practiced laughing shrilly for three sets without breathing. Practice is over, I had returned to my apartment with Sungmin & was assisting him with dinner.

 

You: u..uh..

Sungmin: Something wrong with your voice?

You: I practiced those shrill laughs for too long. I think I strained my throat a little.

Sungmin: It hurts my ears listening to it.

You: Today was pretty tough.

Sungmin: Your club captain is an odd one.

 

  Sungmin was frying some shrimp & gestured to me as if to pick up a plate.

 

Sungmin: We can eat as soon as these are done. Take the salad to the table.

You: Okay.

 

  Today he made fried prawns, baked white fish, onion soup & a salad.. It's like eating out at a restaurant.

 

You: It's not what I usually eat at home.

Sungmin: What do you want to drink?

You: oolong tea, please.

Sungmin: I'll have some wine.. Or, maybe it's best if I stick to tea as well.

You: Shall we eat then?

Sungmin: Go ahead.

You: mmm! This taste really good.

Sungmin: Really?

 

  He protects me & makes me great food. I feel a little spoilt..

 

You: It's hard to get fried food so crispy at home.

Sungmin: Is it?

You: Do you always make your own food?

Sungmin: I've been so busy lately. I haven't had the time.. Are you one of those people who doesn't do housework?

You: After my mother passed away I went to live with my grandmother. I had to get a part time job to pay my school fees, so my grandmother did most of the housework for me.

Sungmin: You had to pay your own school fees..? So you've been working hard since high school.

You: I have a student loan now, so it's a little easier.

Sungmin: Isn't it hard juggling a job & school activities?

You: It is when we have a performance coming up.. But I do find I can work harder when my friends are surrounding me.

Sungmin: Hmm.

You: I was worried about living alone. But Yuri, Victoria & the others from the drama club have become like a family to me, so I am never lonely.

Sungmin: I can see how it would be hard to feel lonely with that club captain around.

You: haha, you're right there. This year's performance is very important, as it will help Yuri in her career. So we want to win more than anything.

Sungmin: I see.

You: You live alone too, don't you Sungmin? Don't you ever feel lonely?

Sungmin: Not really. I lost my mother when i was small & my father was always away for work. I got used to being alone at young age.

You: I'm sorry..

Sungmin: why are yoou apologizing?

You: for asking you something so personal..

Sungmin: I wouldn't have told you if i didn't want to.

You: Sungmin..

 

  I feel as if Sungmin is starting to act a bit nicer towards me. Or maybe i'm just imagining it.. I started to enjoy my meal, and the fact i was sharing it with Sungmin made it even better. Yet again we found ourselves standing before the bed after our nightly showers.

 

Sungmin: Time to sleep.

You: I'm sorry, but I won't be sleeping just yet. You go ahead.

Sungmin: What is it?

You: Oh, I just have an outfit that I really need to finish tomorrow.

 

  I placed the unfinished outfit & my sewing machine on the table.

 

Sugmin: You'll finish early tomorrow right? Can't you do it then?

You: I want to have it done by our next practice, so I'll do it tonight. I might be a little loud, but please bear with it.

 

  I could hear Sungmin sigh between bursts of sewing.

 

Sungmin: You work too hard..

You: Did you say something?

Sungmin: no, nothing.

 

  He stood silnetly off to the side for a while before peering down at my work.

 

Sungmin: You're not very good at that.

You: I've improved a lot since when I first started.

Sungmin: It's deviating off to the sidea little. Give it here.

You: But..

 

  Sungmin took the material from my hands & began to sew at a speed many times that of my own. W-wow.. He's spot on.

 

Sungmin: Is it all right to sew the frills to the arms as they are there?

You: Oh, yes..

 

  The frills were full of volume as he finished attaching them.

 

You: They always become flat if I sew them..

Sungmin: They turn out well if you leave a decent amount of room.

You: I'll remember that.

 

  He's good at sewing as well. He really is quite feminine..

 

Sungmin: Will this do?

You: Yes! Wow. It would have taken me twice as long to finish that..

Sungmin: I've had a lot of practice.

 

  He's had a lot of practice sewing..? I swallowed my next words & thanked Sungmin instead.

 

You: Thank you.

Sungmin: I can't sleep if you're not sleeping.

You:  You can go to sleep without me.

Sungmin: In what world does a bodyguard go to sleep before the person he's protecting?

You: I see your point. I'm sorry to have kept you waiting. Let's sleep.

 

  He had no response as I climbed into bed.

 

You: You didn't have time to buy mattress today either. I'm sorry.

Sungmin: It would need to be a day when you have no practice. how about tomorrow?

You: Tomorrow I.. Oh!

Sungmin: Don't yell in my ear.

You: Sorry. Tomorrow the drama club members are all going out for drinks. Would it be all right to go?

Sungmin: Drinks? You need to tell me these things sooner.

You: I'm sorry. It was planned a long time ago & I forgot..

Sungmin: Going out to drink in public means that there will be a lot of unknown entities around.

 

  That makes sense. It would be dangerous in a place like that, from a bodyguard's point of view.

 

You: That's fine. I'll tell them I can't go.

Sungmin; You don't need to sound so bitter about it.

You: I didn't mean.. It's just that tomorrow was meant to be when we make the final decisions for, this years performance.

Sungmin: Then go.

You: Huh.. I can go?

Sungmin; You want to be the best in this years performance right?

You: Yes.. But isn't it too dangerous?

Sungmin: Not with me there to protect you.

You: Thank you! You're so confident.

Sungmin: My apologize.. Now sleep.

You: H-Huh..? 

 

  I had meant it as a compliment. Did I upset him somehow..?

 

You: Good night, Sungmin.

Sungmin: Good night.

 

  I turn out the light as usual & went to sleep.

 

Yuri: Cheers, to the champions of this years stage competiton!

All: Cheers!

 

  Victoria whispered softly beside me.

 

Victoria: Sungmin came with you again today. Is he worried someone might take advantage of you if you drink too much?

You: Oh, well.. Something like that.

Victoria: I wish I was in love! Well,  I plan on getting drunk tonight!

 

  Food had been laid out on the table & drinks were brought out. Yuri started a competition with the boys to see who could drink who under the table.

 

Yuri: hahaha, it's going to take more than this to get me drunk!

Club Member A: I..give..up.

Club Member B: Me too.. I can't drink tequila..

Yuri: You lot are a bunch of babies. After the tequila we're going for some absinthe!

Victoris: Looks like Yuri is going to clean the boys out easily.

You: Yeah. Even Changmin gone bright red, and he keeps putting his beans back in the bean pods.

Sungmin: I remember those toys.

You: Me too.

 

  I had felt the same way too.. I glanced towards Sungmin. I feel bad for Changmin, but Sungmin looks much more like a prince right now.

 

Victoria: That said, even Changmin pales in comparison to someone like Sungmin. Don't you think so, (your name)?

You: Oh.. I don't know..

Victoria: See, Sungmin is the only one in the room without a face color of beetroot. You are good with alcohol then, Sungmin.

Sungmin: I suppose.

Yuri:I thought it might come to this. One on one now! Prince Sungmin!

Sungmin: I'm just drinking at my own pace. I have no interest in drinking competitions.

Yuri: Your indifference is only fuelling my enthusiasm.

Victoria: ...

You: What's wrong Victoria? You're silent all of a sudden.