The First Fire

The Golden Apple

He walked down the familiar dark street, on whose end his house stood. His house or rather his parents’ house was located in an affluent neighborhood what was definitely a privilege that not every average student at his age could have. However, he wasn’t an average student at all. He was no one else than the son of Choi Jinhee, the famous thriller novelist, and Choi Soohyang, a distinguished trauma surgeon of the National Universty Hospital.
Slowly and carefully, he opened the front door. On his toes, he silently went upstairs to his room. As he passed by his parents’ room and saw them sleeping, the young man let out a relieved breath. Even if the whole university and more knew about his player’s attitude, there are two persons who should never know about it – his dad and his mom. Disappointing them was something he wouldn’t even think of.
Doffed his jacket, he was about to jump on his bed as the lights of the neighbor house across the street lit up his room.

“You gotta kidding me,” he murmured, rolling his eyes.
Looked through the window down at her house, he saw her standing right before the front door, unmoving.

“What the…?” He said confusingly.

“Go in and shut off the ing light! Someone wants to sleep here.” That was what he would shout out loud if there weren’t the risk to wake up his parents.

Annoyed, he lay down, pulling the blanket over his head to block the lights. Because of the alcohol, he had expected to fall asleep as soon as his eyes were closed. Yet, he was wrong. The lights coming from the other side of the street didn’t let him. Frustrated, he kicked away the blanket, ran to the window.

“Hey,” yelled the young man. His voice, however, disappeared as soon as he noticed his neighbor sitting on the ground, leaning against the wall.

“What on earth is she doing?”  He mumbled. This was one of those moments you normally only saw on movies. This was the moment the hero would save the beauty and they’d fall in love… if only the girl were anyone else but Baek Sora, his arch enemy.

To ignore or not to ignore, that was the question. She was the last person he would want to help and he was the last person she would want to help her. Still standing at the window, he took a deep breath while his eyes kept on staring at the unmoving neighbor. He tried to ignore her. However, the sight of a fighter being so vulnerably weakened his ego.

Tick tock tick tock tick tock said the clock on the cold wall.

”,” he exclaimed, flung the door open and raced down the stairways.  He hadn’t even notice the noise had woken up his parents.

Luhan, what are you still doing at this time?”

“Where are you going without your jacket? It’s freezing outside.”

Luhan heard his parents’ surprising voice calling after him, but he kept running across the street.

Ran after their son, Luhan’s parents were shocked by the sight of their son carefully picking up a young girl on the ground. 

Mom,” Luhan called for the doctor in the family.

“What happened to her?” His mother asked worriedly and turned to her husband, telling him to call emergency.

“Is she conscious?”  She questioned as she reached her son and their neighbor.

“I am,” Sora answered quietly.

 

“What do you eat? Pure fat?” Luhan asked sarcastically as he lay Sora down on her bed. In order not to go to the hospital, she had promised to let Mrs. Choi take a look at her.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized with her breathless voice. “That you’re such a that you can’t even carry a girl.”

“You,” replied Luhan but suddenly sunk his voice as he heard his parents’ steps. After being kicked out of the room by his mother who wanted to take a look at Sora, he sat down next to his father on the sofa.

“I still think we should rather call emergency. She was as cold as ice. She couldn’t even walk” His father said.

“I think it is ok. Mom is a great doctor. She’ll take care of her.” Luhan replied.

“Hannie, she needs a hot bath. Would you please run a bath for her? ”

“Of course, mom.”           

 

Luhan almost fell asleep while waiting for his mother. However his tiredness disappeared as soon as soon as he saw his mother coming out of Sora’s room. Just like his father, his eyes widened.

“Mom, are you crying?” He questioned worriedly.

“Honey, is she hurt so bad? Should I call 119?” His father asked.

“Luhan,” said his mother finally. “Can you please check on her?”

Confusingly, the boy looked at her, then at his father and then back to her.

“Please,” she repeated.

“Of course,” answered Luhan and went upstairs.

“What’s wrong? Why did you send him away?” Mr. Choi asked his wife.

“The poor girl,” Mrs. Choi said. Her voice cracked as she tried her best not to break out into tears. “She has fresh bruises on her thighs.”

Her husband gasped. “You think she was…?”

She nodded and let out a bitter sob. At that Mr. Choi pulled her into his embrace, whispering.

“Should I call the police?”

“No,” she answered quietly. “The police and their questions aren’t really helpful at this moment. I think it’s better if I talk to her first.”

Mr. Choi nodded.

 

Without any warning, Luhan entered Sora’s room. She quickly wiped away her tears, hoping he didn’t see it. Yet, he did. He couldn’t help but stare at her. Sure, he disliked her attitude, but he had never impugned she was beautiful. She was thin, but not as skinny as those girls who were a lifelong on diet to look like they were anorexic. She has an athletic figure that made her look awesome in jeans. Maybe that was the reason she never wore dresses. She has long, black hair, what was – as funny as it sounded - quite unusual. Nowadays it was easier to find an Asian girl with brown, blond or red hair than one with natural black hair. She never wore makeup. Not that she needed it anyway. She had a pretty face with big brown eyes that could easily trick people, making them think she were innocent, fragile or weak. Yet she was anything but that.

Well that was what he had thought, until now…

“The poor girl, she has fresh bruises on her thighs.”

His mother’s voice repeated again and again in his head. He wasn’t sure how to feel.

Sorry?

Angry?

Worry?

Or guilty?

“What are you staring at?” She asked hostilely, pulling the cover up to her shoulders to hide herself from his glances.

“Don’t worry there is not much to see anyway.” He lied.

“What? You’re unused to be alone with a girl whose clothes are still on?” She fired back.

“No, just not used to be alone with a girl I don’t want to undress.”

“No problem, feel free to leave anytime! Hey, how about now?”

“I would love to, but my mom wants me to check on you, so I’ll grace you with my presence for the next five minutes. Enjoy them!”

“Fine, just make sure you don’t touch anything, so I won’t have to burn them. And I’ll enjoy the moment you left my room.” Sora warned.

“Whatever! I have imagined your room very different than this. It’s pretty normal, without skull and crossbones and so.” Luhan admitted.

“I’m not a witch.” She replied dryly.

“You seem like one.”

“And your room is full with girl posters and tapes?”

Luhan let out a sarcastic laugh and finally sat down.

“What the hell really happened to you? My mom is freaking out and my dad is about to call the police.” He questioned.

For a mini second she was surprised by his sudden seriousness, but then she remembered he was Choi Luhan.

“Oh no, don’t do that. Don’t act like you care. It doesn’t suit you. It’s so disgusting. You caused me all of these troubles after all. Whatever those people did, you are worse than them all.” She scolded the player.

“How the is this my fault? I didn’t put them up to …” Luhan silenced, looking for a proper word.

“… touch you.” He said.

“No, it’s not your fault.” Sora replied sarcastically. “You only released pictures of me at a hotel with a drunken idiot, what was by the way none of your business. Because of your selfish everyone treated me like I were a . It’s quite ironic, because you’re the one ing around for fun, don’t you think?”

“I wouldn’t have done that if you hadn’t ran around, told girls – for no reason – I were a playboy, what was none of your business either.” He argued.

 “For no reason? You dumped my best friend. You broke her heart so badly that she left the country. I think it’s understandable that I don’t want anybody to suffer like her anymore. I just told those girls the truth. It’s their right to know it.”

“Don’t blame me! It was your friend’s fault.”

 

Luhan got out of the shower and realized he had forgotten the towel. , he started on his way to her closet what was so big that it could be called an extra room.

“Babe, where do you keep your towels?” He shouted to his girlfriend.

Since he didn’t get an answer, he didn’t have a choice to check the drawers one by one. As he opened the third drawer, he frowned. It was full with pictures. To be more precise, they were pictures of him with other women.

 

Luhan couldn’t explain why he neither had the heart to tell Sora the truth that her best friend was a crazy, obsessed stalker nor that the pictures of her at a hotel with the mysterious man, the picture that ruined her reputation was taken from her own best friend. So instead of that he lied.

“Your friend was not very good in bed.”

“,” She yelled, slapped him hardly.

Funny how he had seen it coming and still took it willingly. Because she had that very weird effect on him, he just couldn’t explain. 

Hey guys, so that was the very first chapter. I hope you guys liked it. Would be very nice if you let me know what you think about the start. I hope we'll a great time together during the story. 

PS: Oh and I know Luhan's surname is not Choi, but in this story it is, so deal with me, ok?