16:00

The Hands of Fate

Her reflection mirrored the same expression of disappointment she had since she’d gotten changed. Tonight was her date with Soohyun and she did not feel at all comfortable with the way she was dressed. The emerald shirt and black skirt she had on which she’d tucked in at the waist didn’t give the impression of a date outfit. More like an office or business staff.


She breathed out in a huff wondering whether to call him and cancel. Then again the reason was extremely ridiculous.
“You’re going out with him aren’t you?” How Jiyong had managed to slip into the room without notice was beyond her. He examined her clothes without blinking. “I can tell because you only wear that shirt to interviews. It must be the only nice thing you own.”

 

Gain wanted to desperately bite his head off. It was none of his business what she did and he’d picked the wrong time to point out obvious facts. He saw her annoyed gaze which was emphasized by the eye makeup and began to leave.  She wasn’t sure if he would return but decided not to become bothered. Kwon Jiyong would not be allowed to ruin the night.

 

Going to her jewellery collection she put two types of earrings against her lobe. One was simple pearls and the other gold droplets. There was a tap on her shoulder and she turned around to see Jiyong holding something on a hanger covered in a black bag.

“Here, try this.” Gain had every right to suspect his motives. It could be some sort of lewd outfit like the one she’d worn when she’d worked there. Taking the zip she pulled it down to reveal what he’d found. She drew a breath, her eyes widening as she saw the garment.

 

It was a dress with a modest neck, beige, and a black ribbon around the waist and embroidery that sat in the middle of the flowing skirt. Staring at it she was drawn to silence as the fragrance caught her attention. She knew that perfume…


“H-how did you get this? This is Marie Claire. This is…”

Jiyong let out a small laugh without smiling. “You’re surprised right? Don’t worry about where I got it. All that matters is you pair it with that brown jacket you have and wear the pearls you’re currently holding. Also, have a good night.”

Taken back for a moment Gain calmly nodded. He went without her thanks but with her confusion. Why was he being so nice to her? How did he manage to find that dress? Gain wondered whether he would expect any repayment when she returned.

 

~*~


There was a knock on the front door. Jiyong’s swift steps led him to answer. His appearance took Soohyun by complete surprise.

“Ah, umm is Gain here?”  Jiyong visually judged him based on what he was wearing, an off-white shirt, black trousers and the leather jacket.

 

“Yes hold on for a moment,” he said going back in letting the door swing behind him. Soohyun had to catch it before he was shut out.  Moments later Jiyong returned with Gain following. She’d let her hair down, had her jacket on open to see the dress, stockings due to the weather getting colder, black heels and the pearl earrings.


Soohyun seemed to have lost his tongue when she came into sight. The pocket watch did not really work for her outfit but she didn’t care. Her life was more important than matching every single thing she wore.

“Thank you for waiting,” she said to him.

 

“No problem,” he now began to grin. Looking over her shoulder he spoke to Jiyong. “Don’t worry I won’t bring her home late.” Jiyong scowled in return and closed the door.


Gain stared at Soohyun. “What did you say that?”


“What? Isn’t he your guardian?”

“No, he’s younger than me.” That made him extremely surprised. “Actually Soohyun he is the same age as you.” She added while he opened the car door for her.

“Gain one, Soohyun nil,” his response made her smile as he shut the door and got in. At the restaurant Soohyun picked a table for them on the edge with two seats. They sat opposite each other, facing their partner over the menus and the shakers.


“Did I mention you look lovely tonight?” Soohyun asked, his bashful side coming out. She shook her head. “Ah,” he feigned annoyance before slowly reaching forward. “Well you do,” he held her hand over the table which gave Gain sparks like comfortable pin pricks. All she could do was sit and smile back.

Their meals came and they put the physical contact on hold to eat. Both of them talked in between mouthfuls about anything and everything they felt compelled to share.

“I’m sorry that my father let you go without much warning.” Soohyun began, irritation starting to creep into his tone. “If he knew what a relief you had been in helping us so he could come home earlier, then maybe he would have thought twice.”

It was Gain’s turn to reach over the table and lightly touch his hand. “Soohyun, I’m not angry at him. I’ll find another job. Jiyong, despite the impression he gives is not a bad person. Because of him I was able to meet your family and you to begin with.”

Her answer caused Soohyun to contemplate and possibly change what he was about to say. He held her hand tight as though he was holding onto her. “That maybe so though… I don’t know if I’m overreacting but; I don’t think Jiyong likes me.”

Gain had to agree with that much to her chagrin. “He does take a while to get used to but—“

“—it was as if I was stealing something he wanted right in front of him.”

 

No way. Gain felt compelled to strongly disagree with him. Yet somehow his statement, his suspicion of Jiyong seemed to be very well thought.

“Anyway,” Soohyun said breathing out as well. “Forget about what I said. I don’t want you getting mad at him because of me.”

“I wouldn’t Soohyun, its ok.” But she restrained from saying that she would confront him about this later.


~*~
 

After eating and Soohyun paid much to Gain’s insistence on splitting the bill they went for a brief walk along the streets. They were now more comfortable with each other to the point that Soohyun could slip his arm over her shoulders without her asking why.


He came to a stop. “Look at all the stars,” Soohyun pointed up at the twinkling shapes making Gain lift her head. “It’s as if God himself is lighting the night for us.”

“Could you be any cheesier?” She said laughing and moving away jokingly. He pulled her back to him with an arm around her waist this time. Jiyong had held her waist before but Soohyun made it pleasant.  He turned his head to her, spotting the pocket watch around her neck.


“I always wondered about this.” He brushed the chain of the watch with his fingers. “Is it alright if I have a look?”


Gain paused. How would she ever explain to Soohyun what it would come about if it left her body? The thought of him freaking out over her suddenly choking was a painful image. With a breath in she lifted it slightly to him; the chain touching the back of her neck staying down. She gave it to him for a hold, peering closer at the face of the watch.

“Hmm, usually they have the year on them in a small section. Did this one not come with it?”

Gain said no to this. “I have to get it added,” she lied. He nodded and gently placed it down, still standing nearby. All of a sudden his lips pressed against the side of her head making her freeze.

He moved away while she touched the spot. “What was that for?” Gain asked going slightly red in the cheeks. Beaming from his success Soohyun spoke as though he’d hit the jackpot.


“I don’t have to get questioned about kissing the most beautiful woman in all of Korea do I?”

“You are extremely cheesy,” Gain retorted giving him a shove onto the road. He stepped back on and grabbed her in a waist lock.


“And you are exactly what I need to become un-cheesy.” Gain couldn’t believe what a kid he could be if he was in the right mood. He tried to kiss her again but she leaned away from him as far as she could while still in his grasp. After much struggling and playing they stopped for a minute to catch their breath.
 “By the way,” he started to muse softly. “You said yes to this date but I never really heard from you how you feel about me.”

Gain raised her eyebrows at him in question. “Are you asking if I like you?”

“Uh huh,” he boldly told her, a playful smirk stuck on his mouth. “I’m not going to let go until you say that you like me.”

“I like you.”

 

He released her with his lips turned down, pretending to be sad. “I was expecting you to resist; that would have been half the fun.”

 

“I’m not going to put it off.” She said sincerely. “I like you Soohyun. You’re kind, smart in the way you think about your inventions, the way you care about your family and—“


She didn’t get to finish. Because Soohyun had cut her off with a welcomed kiss. A kiss on the sidewalk and under a starry canopy stretched across the dark sky. Her heartbeat changing speed caused the day hand on the pocket watch to skip a second.

 

~*~


Well, how did we like this chapter? I bet you’re all giddy from glee ^^