Chapter 8

That Simple

Thank you for those who have read, commented, subscribed, and even voted 'That Simple' also a huge shoutout to UShaby for creating the beautiful poster.


“I see…” I mumbled under my breath. Currently, only Jihyun, Lee Jieun and I are in the council room. Yoseob had excused himself earlier on after Eunkwang and Doojoon’s visit to the council. “I guess, you’re gonna have to stick with me.” I decided. “Vocals, right?”

Jieun nodded excitedly, Jihyun gave me a small smirk and patted Jieun’s back once. “Well then, I leave you in Gayoon’s capable hands. I’ll be going!” Jihyun gave a backward wave as she walked away from the council and headed to the main auditorium. “Um… I hope I’m not much of a burden, I’m Lee Jiuen, I’ll be in your care!” Jieun smiled and bowed respectively.

As I was still seated, I finally stood up and waved my hand. “No need for too much politeness, I’m Gayoon and I’ll be glad to help you out.”

Jieun beamed, “Thank you sunbaenim!”

“‘Unnie’,” I said as I walked passed her and headed to the door. “Just ‘unnie’ is fine.” Jieun smiled sweetly and followed me out.

As I walked with Jieun to Mr. Jung, I made a couple of stops to take care of things for the festival and asked Jieun more about herself. “What made you move here Jieun?”

“Oh, it was a recommendation from my agency! And an oppa I know is here.” she must be talking about Yoseob. I nodded my head, pretending to not know whom she’s talking about. I continued the walk to the music room asking Jieun about herself and she would ask me questions in return.

“You have to reserve the front row for me okay unnie?” she was more enthusiastic about 4Minute’s performance than her own and it really made me glad. “Of course, but you better be early!” I chuckled at her cuteness.

Somehow, I feel very light around her. She really does have a way with people, she allures them with her pure charm and her cuteness and innocence really explodes as she starts to talk, a very child-like person not just in appearances alone.

“Unnie is in special course right?” Jieun asked again for confirmation, I nodded in reply. “It’s the same as advanced course but we’re Cube’s. It’s possible to switch though, Soyu did.”

Jieun let out a quick ‘ah’ in understanding while nodding her head. “You would be in LOEN right?” I asked, wanting to keep the conversation going. “I can’t dance though…” Jieun sighed looking down in disappointment. “You’ll be fine,” I assured without looking.

The conversation went on until we reached Mr. Jung’s music class. “Some advanced kids are going to act as support for the normal course choir,” I explained while opening the door to a group of students and one very excited vocal instructor. “Gayoon!” he practically squealed.

As an honorable member of the student council I have chosen the wise decision to ignore him and not acknowledge his existence what-so-ever, “Everyone,” I addressed the group of students as a whole. “This is Lee Jieun, she will be joining you from today on.” A chorus of greetings and welcomes seemed to overwhelm Jieun who in return just fiddled with the hem of her skirt. “Jieun, don’t you want to introduce yourself?” I nudged her shoulder with my elbow as encouragement.

“A—ah I’m Lee Jieun, first year advanced class, please take care of me!” She sounded a bit frantic as she bowed ninety degrees.

“Isn’t she a cutie?” “Awh man, that’s cute!” “Don’t pick on her!” “Of course we will!” comments erupted from the class, turning Jieun a light shade of pink. I let out a small giggle before turning my back again to face the door. “I leave her in your hands!”

Feeling assured after leaving Jieun in the capable hands of her seniors, I decided to go on with my work.

xxx

“I mean could you believe that?” Hyolyn took a fierce bite off her apple and pouted, leaning her cheek on her palm for support as she complained on and on about her day. “And the guy still has the guts to say a erted comment, ugh, I should have finished him.” I nodded my head, showing her that she has my full attention regarding the matter.

She starts to put emphasize in her words by waving her hand as the story progresses, “Poor me was all alone too,” I choked on those words, knowing Hyolyn she would have showed the person no mercy either way. “Hey!” Hyolyn protested but I was still choking from her hypocritical words.

Hyolyn and I share the same history music class so we decided to stay in that classroom to escape all the franticness that is happening outside. Because of the strong image given off by 4Minute we have always been avoided by others because they felt intimidated by us but gratefully other than our own label mates, the members of SISTAR and Miss A are open to us.

I snatched the apple from Hyolyn’s grasp and took a good bite of it, Hyolyn didn’t even bother to protest as she was already used to our close friendship.

“And how’s Yoseob, huh?” I choked for the second time in the conversation because of Hyolyn’s abrupt question. “How should I know?” I retorted, getting stupidly defensive. It was now Hyolyn’s turn to roll her eyes at my pathetic denial, “What’s that girl you told us about again? Lee Jieun was it?”

I groaned, remembering that I had told the girls about Lee Jieun and that stupid dream with Suzy in it that I have been getting in frequent nights. “Shut up, she’s a good girl.” Hyolyn’s eyes widened in surprise, “What? She’s here already?” I nodded a confirmation while biting on the apple; somewhat surprised the news hasn’t reached Hyolyn’s ears.

“I had to take her to Mr. Jung’s choir earlier, she’s a good girl. And she’s like a kid.” I explained to my dark-skinned companion who listened attentively, clearly interested in the new girl.  “She’s in LOEN, so we’re all practically working with her.”

Sitting back, Hyolyn took back the apple from my grasp and took one final bite from it.

I smirked unconsciously before I became aware of the time. “Shoot, I have to go.” I declared, taking whatever I brought in the class with me in my arms. Hyolyn shot her brow upwards at me, as if asking me why I was in such a rush. “You know, practice stuff.” Hyolyn nodded understandingly before standing up to meet my height.

“I guess I should get going too.” She stretched out her figure, too tired from sitting for too long in her little chat session with me. “See you!” she waved me off while heading to the opposite direction I headed to.