Chapter 6

That Simple

Firstly, I would like to say sorry for the late update and short chapter

Thank you for those who have read, commented, subscribed, and even voted 'That Simple' also a huge shoutout to UShaby for creating the beautiful poster.


I lay on my bed, starring at my phone and replying text messages from Yoseob. I had already beat Jiyoon earlier and took a shower first and considering that I’m already in my comfortable pajamas, I have nothing else to do but stare at my blindingly bright phone screen.

‘Can’t you at least tell me what the dream was?’ I read and sighed before replying him the same answer I said earlier that day.

“Hey Gayoon.” Soyu, our other roommate, entered the room with her school bag slung on her shoulder, obviously she had been practicing as well. I waved my hand at her, not in the mood to say anything else from both fatigue of practice and Yoseob’s text messages and quite few voice mails.

Soyu walked over to her bed and threw her bag on her desk before opening the closet. “Jeon Jiyoon! Hurry up!” She exclaimed while picking out comfortable pajamas of her own.  “In a minute!” Jiyoon exclaimed back from inside, her s.

I bed, still messaging Yoseob, and groaned.

‘Good night Seob’ I texted and waited for his final reply of the night before leaving my phone to charge on my bedside table. “Tired Gayoon?” Soyu asked, her eyebrow rising just in time for Jiyoon to open the door to the bathroom next to me. My eyes met hers to reply, “You have no idea.” And I shut my eyes closed, letting myself fall asleep.

xxx

“Heo Gayoon, what do you think you’re doing?” Suzy appeared in my dreams again, forgetting about this thing called ‘honorifics’ even though it must have slipped my mind as well considering I was too busy trying to focus my voice to speak up actual words considering much like earlier, I couldn’t speak a single word.

“Suzy, what’s happening?” I tried to say but nothing came out again. She and I stood facing each other, gazing up into each other eyes in the same blank space. The two of us were consumed by dead silence, none of us sputtering another word.

The sudden familiar warm laughter filled my hearing and I could see Yoseob with his arm around a girl, showing her his precious laugh. My lungs stopped functioning at the sight beyond Suzy’s back.

I tried speaking again, saying his name desperately though nothing came out my dried mouth.

In one swift movement, Yoseob cupped her chin and leaned in to plant a kiss. The tears that I tried so hard to hold back went free falling down my cheeks, leaving them tear stained.

xxx

I gasped for air, sitting upwards in my bed, Jiyoon and Soyu sleeping soundly in their perspective beds. I touched my cheek and it felt wet, I must have really been crying. I let out a shaky breath then sat still to let me calm my nerves a bit. The clock read 5 am but how am I supposed to fall back asleep?

I kicked away my blanket and entered the bathroom, cleaning my face of any evidence.

Creeping out slowly so my two roommates won’t wake up, I took my key and sneaked out. I crept slowly out the girl’s third dorm, careful not to make any noise to wake anyone up.

I smiled at myself, grateful that I managed to sneak out without anyone noticing my temporary disappearance. I sat on the bench that overlooked the lake we had behind campus. It was silent at night, dead silent, not even the crickets disturbed the silence, I liked it a lot like that. It was all for myself, not a thing to distract me.

I hummed the song that we're bound to perform absentmindedly to get my mind off unwanted issues. My right index finger circled the empty spot next to me repeatedly in an attempt to calm my nerves. My breathing lightened right on cue, I relaxed.

My eyes trailed from one end of lake to the other, letting my thoughts fly away. I leaned back at the bench, eyes closing for a moment but not sleeping. The calm beating of my pulse became an addictive rhythm and my steady breathing was the soothing melody to go with it. I love it.

I gathered my thoughts, letting myself sink at the memory of Yoseob’s sweet voice washing my worries. I sighed. Guess you’d never realize how much someone means to you until another person gets involved, in which case, Lee Jieun.

Jealousy is cruel, isn’t it?