Once upon a time ...

Maid of Honour and the Best Man - Tetralogy (4 part series)

 

Seunghyun’s POV

He was stuck in his apartment for the night. He has no mood to hit the club or to ask his girlfriend come over for some fun. He was lying on the sofa reminiscing the moment he was in high school. Indeed he was in a relationship with Yoobin for about a month. He has liked her for quite some time in secret. However he was never daring enough to approach her. One of his boys, Daesung has made a bet with him to date someone in school for a month after which he had to dump her. You know the usual stuffs high school boys are up to. For some crazy reason, he decided to ask Yoobin out. In actual fact, he wanted to cancel the bet before the one month is up but unfortunately Yoobin came to know about the bet and dumped him instead.

Ego as how normally one would say it, was on the rise in Seunghyun’s pride. Since then he had made countless teasing, name calling and other irritating thing a boy could do to affect Yoobin’s life. You name it, he had tried almost everything to the point he ended up disappointed when she left Seoul. A few years after high school, when he saw her at Youngbae’s party, he was astounded to see the boyish girl he likes have turned feminine and is growing prettier. With more attention by other boys, Seunghyun made her drunk indirectly so that the boys would see the crazy side of Yoobin and back off. That too made her left again.

During Sunye’s father funeral, Yoobin was there to help the family go through the ordeal. Being a family friend she was close to Sunye’s male cousins. Seunghyun who hates it once again managed to drive her crazy. He actually farted then pretended it was her who did it. He added extra salt to the appetizers made by Yoobin that was meant for the funeral attendees and lots more. Again and again he managed to drive her away. Back to the states.

Now many years later, her presence once again ignites the childishness in him. If only Yoobin knows how he feels towards her. The feelings have never changed. He has loved her then and continues loving her still. He sometimes wonders why he does all those things to Yoobin. She affected him in such a way that is indescribable. He hates it for being such a jerk to her but he can’t help it.

As he sips the red wine, he instantly remembers the quarrel at the boutique. He knew he went too far but there is no intention of him in asking for forgiveness. He hates the idea that she is seeing someone. He wonders what would happened and how would she react if he declares his love for her. He doesn’t even dare to execute that thought fearing it could affect the way things are right now.

He slams the glass on the wall and watches it break into pieces. All he ever wanted was her. How come she seems so far even though she is very near?

Yoobin’s POV

As she soaks in the bath tub with her favourite bubble bath soap, she couldn’t help but think about Seunghyun. Sometimes she hates herself for being easily affected by what Seunghyun said and do. The childish bet that he made in high school is still fresh in her mind. She had really loved Seunghyun then. She had stopped loving him since... right?

In her mind, she could not fathom why Seunghyun hates her so much. It wasn’t her who hurt him first or have she ever stated any fight first. She wonders what pleasure he derives from hurting her. She too wonder why up till now, she still hasn’t gotten used to it.

Today in the car, she kept on reminiscing the part when he said...

Yoobin: Why, are you jealous? (She playfully .)

TOP: What if I said I was?

She smiled at the thought of it. But she quickly relinquishes those thoughts. “Kim Yoobin, what is the matter with you.” She scolded herself. She actually wish at moments like this her boyfriend would be here beside her, but no, apparently he has been busy with something. He could only join her at the rehearsal dinner tomorrow. She began wondering on what was the point in having her boyfriend in Korea when he is too busy with his business. After the bubble bath, she sleeps her way dreaming about Seunghyun.

@ Seunghyun’s apartment

Yoobin has been knocking in the door to his apartment for the past 10 minutes. From irritatedness it turns into anxiety. She couldn’t even get him on the phone. She is so tempted to key in any password to get in house. She eventually did. She keyed in his birthday but it did not work. Something inside her tells her to press the love codes she and him used to have when they were in high school. During that time it was the era of pagers. So they always send to each other 1771554 or basically it says ‘miss u’. She deliberated for a while until she finally relented and pressed the keys.

Surprisingly, it opened. She was super duper shocked! She walks in the apartment which was the exact same layout as hers. She walked in slowly and was surprised to see Seunghyun on the sofa drunk. She saw the shattered glasses on the floor as well the 2 empty wine bottles. Her heart sank. “Is he troubled? Why is he drinking so much? What’s wrong with him?” she asked herself.

She went to the kitchen to get a towel and soaked it in warm water before she gently wiped his face. Seunghyun stirred and eventually wake up. He opened his eyes and was shocked to see Yoobin was in his apartment.

Yoobin: Hey...

TOP: Hey! (He rubs his eyes)... How come you’re in my house? Did you stalk me? (He pretended to .)
Yoobin: You didn’t lock the door. (She lied as she stutters nervously.)

TOP: I didn’t? Hmmmm...

Yoobin: What’s wrong with you? Why are you drinking so much?

TOP: Nah, nothing. I was bored. (He lied too.)

Yoobin: Come on you better get ready; we need to be at the garden party for the tea before the rehearsal starts.

TOP: Arraso!

Yoobin helped him to his room because he was swaying. Once he got in there, she exits the room and cleaned the messed in the living room. Once she was done with the cleaning, she was exploring his place. She entered his personal studio. “So this is where he makes music.” She said to herself. It is such a cool place. She saw the organ keyboard and touches it. It has been long since she played that instrument. Just as she was about to leave the room, she saw the picture on his desk. Lo behold! She was lost for words. It was the picture they took when they were in high school. If one doesn’t know, they would assume that it was a picture of 2 boys but no, that was her many years back.   She quickly closes the door and sat on the sofa. She was shaken.

TOP: Yoobin!

She jumped from her seat.

TOP: Hey sorry for scaring you, I really didn’t mean to.

Yoobin: Sorry I was just stoning and didn’t realize you were here. You cleaned up well Mr. (She voiced out pretending like she hadn’t seen anything.)

TOP: Well, I am after all Choi Seunghyun. (He smirks earning a glare from her.)

Yoobin: OMG! I shouldn’t have said that. Anyway did you bring your tie? We may need it for the rehearsal dinner. I don’t think you need one for the tea though.

TOP: Yes Binnie...

They eventually left. Yoobin was dressed in a halter silver dress. She let go of her hair and in Seunghyun’s eyes, she looks gorgeous. The ride to the venue was quite actually. They barely opened their mouth. Once they reached the venue, Yoobin headed to see Sunye. It was a very much relaxed event. More of one which makes the people involved in the wedding to just sit back and enjoy the good time with the company.

Yoobin and Seunghyun had fun too catching up with the groom’s and bride’s family.

Mr Dong: Seunghyun ah, Bae is getting married soon? When will your turn come?

TOP: You know me, I’m a busy man.

Mr Dong: Really? Well lucky you have Yoobin.

TOP: Yoobin?

Mr Dong: Yup Yoobin, you guys have been together since like what... high school?

TOP: No uncle we’re just mutual friends.

Mr Dong: Are you sure about that? (He teased the shocked Seunghyun.)

On the other side of the event, Yoobin was talking to Sunye’s grandmother.

Granny: Binnie ah, Sunye will soon be someone’s wife. I too want to see you settle down soon honey.

Yoobin; Halmoni, what are you saying? You know I’m busy with work.

Granny: How long will you and Seunghyun wait till you guys are ready to get married?

Yoobin: Seunghyun? Jakaman (wait...).... halmoni Seunghyun and I are not together. W e are just mutual friends.

Granny: Didn’t you two date last time?

Yoobin: We did but it was long over.

Granny: Are you sure?

@Rehearsal

The rehearsal was done at a church nearby. By this time everyone is busy getting ready.

TOP: It’s just a rehearsal, why do we even have to dress up for this.

Yoobin; Stop whining, you know Sunye is a perfectionist, just go along with it.

Once the rehearsal at the church was done, they moved on the garden dinner party. By the time they reached there, Boa and Jaejoong was already there. Yoobin quickly hugged her boyfriend. Boa rushed to Seunghyun’s side. During dinner, Seunghyun could help but stare at Yoobin. He loves seeing her slightly messy bun with a red rose inserted. She looks so foxy and hot. Yoobin was in fact aware of his staring. She was hoping Jaejoong would say something or do something about it but he seems out of sorts these past few days.

Yoobin: Baby are you alright? You seem out of sorts.  What’s wrong?

JJ: Nothing sweetheart.

Seunghyuntoo noticed his girlfriend was in her own world. Not that he actually cared, but seeing how concern Yoobin was towards her boyfriend makes him jealous. Once the dinner ended, everyone was mingling with each other. Yoobin was looking around for Jaejoong because he suddenly went missing.

TOP: Wei, what are you looking for?

Yoobin: Have you seen my boyfriend? I have been looking for him for half an hour already.

TOP: (Obviously irritated with the question he answered...) do I look like I babysit him?

Yoobin: Stop it Seunghyun, that’s not funny!

TOP: Whatever you moody woman... ( He left her.)

He went to the mini bar and got himself a scotch. Times like this a quickie could do him good, but he wonder where Boa went to. “Did she just leave me or what?” he asked himself. Yoobin who was already not in the best of mood has been pacing up and down began to irritate Seunghyun.

TOP: Woman, what is wrong with you?

Yoobin: Shut up Seunghyun!

TOP: Whoa, don’t go around being pissy just because your boyfriend left you without telling you!

Yoobin: You!! (Shealmost fumes!)

TOP: I’m sorry... come on cheer up,

Yoobin: Arraso, Seunghyun ah..... ( She pleaded.)

TOP: (Honestly if she were to call his name like that again, he swear he would just kiss her.) ... Yeah why?

Yoobin: Can I have your car keys; I need to get my flats. My feet are killing me from walking around in these heels... Please ... (She pleaded with her doe eye.)

TOP: Women are really troublesome! (He gave her the keys.) Remember to lock it once you got your stuffs arraso!

Yoobin: Yes sir!

She quickly makes her way to the car park. Seunghyun soon realize, she must have not even remembered where he placed the car, so he ran after her. Yoobin who was lost looking for the car was so shocked to discover that nearby in a Bentley that belongs to someone she knew, were 2 people making out. She moves closer and was so shocked to see her boyfriend and Boa were doing ‘it’. She was lost for words. Her knees turned jellied. She dropped the car keys and almost fall but soon realizes that someone just hold on to her. She turned to see Seunghyun supporting her. She pushes his arm gently and staggered towards the party. “Stay away from me.” was the only thing that she managed to force out of . Seunghyun stayed rooted there.

Yoobin informed Sunye that she wasn’t feeling that well and she needs to go home. She was very strong, she didn’t cry in front of Sunye because she doesn’t want to ruin the mood. She left shortly in a cab. On her way home, only god and the taxi driver knows how hard she shed those tears.

It took him some time to think and act. He went to the car and knock on it. Boa was so shocked. Both she and Jaejoong quickly put on their clothes back. Seunghyun seriously wanted to punch Jaejoong’s face but he held it in.

JJ: Did Yoobin saw us? (He asked ashamed.)

TOP: You should be ashamed of yourself. She left without making a fuss. (He replied sarcastically.)

JJ: ... ( He quickly make his way back into the rehearsal dinner to look for Yoobin.)

Boa: What? Why are you staring at me?

TOP: (He claps and said...) Wow, You are really one respectable woman, aren’t you?

Boa: Don’t bull me; it’s not as if we are a committed couple. In fact we weren’t even one. I’m out of here. This party is boring.

@ Apartment

Seunghyun still failed to make Yoobin opened the door. He knows she must be hurting right now. He wants to be there for her but she never even gave him a chance. After an hour, he returned to his apartment. He left tons of messages on her phone which remains unreturned. He wonders if she’ll turn up at the actual wedding tomorrow.

Only god knows...