Chapter 4

Fighting Spirit

The moment Jonghyun stepped into the yard, a knife flew past and he caught it. He looked up and saw a tall guy walking towards him. The guy stopped in front of him and smirked, "Well well who's this? He caught the knife well, a new recruit?" Jonghyun was about to say something but Suyeon glared at him and said, "He's not a new recruit, Minho." The guy called Minho looked at him like he was deciding his fate.

"So who are you?" he asked. Jonghyun stared at him and replied, "Leader of the Warriors, Kim Jonghyun." After Minho heard that, he said, "From China?" Jonghyun nodded. "Soft-spoken for a leader, huh." he said. "Anyway, nice to meet you." he said as he sheathed his sword. He held out his hand and said, "Choi Minho, leader of the guards." Jonghyun looked at him suspiciously but he accepted the handshake.

"Why is he here, Suyeon?" Minho turned towards her and asked. Suyeon replied as she gripped the hilt of her sword, "The Emperor of China sent a letter, requesting that his family and the Warriors come over for a stay. Jonghyun delivered the letter here." She glared at  Jonghyun. "What? Was it my fault that I was sent here?" Jonghyun argued. She rolled her eyes and continued, "So, since he's here, the Emperor said that we should let him have a tour of the palace first."

Minho's face lit up instantly and said, "Oh really? Then-" "I'm his partner, Minho. The Emperor said that." Suyeon quickly said, frowning at him. "Fine." he huffed. 

Minho then turned towards the group of teenagers practicing sword fighting in the yard. "Everyone! Come here and introduce yourselves!" The group broke and walked towards them and stood around them. Jonghyun counted the number of them. There were strangely only four of them, all about the same age. 

"This is Jonghyun, everyone. He came over on the orders of Emperor Leeteuk. Be nice to him okay?" Minho said as he patted Jonghyun's shoulders. Jonghyun then realised that Minho wasn't that bad after all. "Introduce yourselves please. Kris, would you kindly start?" he asked .

A boy standing at a corner looked at him and nodded his head. "Hi! I'm Kris. I just got here a month ago." the boy said as he stared at Jonghyun as if he had come from outer space. There was something more than just curiosity in his eyes - hatred. But he smiled again and the weird light in his eyes disappeared, so Jonghyun thought he was hallucinating. He smiled and waved to the boy.

Minho moved to the girl standing next to him. Jonghyun saw that she had short hair, really short hair and she looked very tomboyish. "This is Amber." Minho said. The girl rolled her eyes and then said, "Yeah hi. I'm Amber and Minho oppa shouldn't have introduced my name for me. Don't mind Minho, he's always annoying." Minho glared at her but if Amber noticed, she didn't seem to care. "And um I'm also in charge of weaponry." she continued. Jonghyun nodded. 

 

Minho gave her a dagger eyed look and then moved on. Jonghyun had to control his laughter when Amber made a face behind Minho's back. Minho, not knowing anything, moved onto the next person. 
 
He gestured to the next girl to introduce herself. No, actually , he seemed to be pointing to a boy standing next to the girl as well. "Hello! I'm Yoona." the girl said and smiled meekly. The boy was a whole lot more cheerful and said, "I'm Taemin! Nice to meet you, hyung!" He then waved at him. Yoona looked at him and hushed him, "Taemin! Don't be like that." "What's 'hyung'?" Jonghyun asked stupidly. Suyeon smirked and replied, "It means older brother." "Ah... Okay." Jonghyun said. Then he turned his attention back to the girl and the boy.
 
Hmm... They seemed quite close close to each other, which was either they were boyfriend and girlfriend, but they were obviously not that age to date. They had the same playful smiles and... Bingo. A pair of identical wicked looking hunting knives hung from their belts. "Are you two twins?" Jonghyun asked. The girl named Yoona grinned and nodded. Taemin then said excitedly, "That's amazing right? The Emperor most of the time wouldn't even allow siblings to join." Yoona added, "You know, actually we're not allowed to join, because we're not actually from Korea." 
 
Jonghyun asked, feeling surprised, "Then where are you two from?" Taemin shrugged and said, "Taiwan. Our dad came over to Korea for new business." "Oh. That's cool. Then can you speak Chinese?" Jonghyun asked, feeling interested. Yoona was about to answer when Minho said seriously, "That's enough. Remember the rules!" Yoona shut instantly and Taemin looked onto the floor. "What rules?" Jonghyun asked Suyeon who was standing beside him. Her face looked a little nervous but her expression
changed quickly which told him not to ask further. He decided to shut up. 
 
The next guy, well he had this dangerous look to him. "I'm Chanyeol. Pleased to meet you." He didn't sound at all pleased. "Umm okay." Jonghyun said warily as he watched the guy pick his nails with a knife. 
 
Minho turned towards him and said, "That's all for today. The rest are-" A loud voice rang across the courtyard, "Who's here? The Emperor told me there is a Warrior here." A lady walked into the courtyard, her cloak billowing behind her. The first thing that ran through his mind: She looks like Empress Song Qian. 
 
The rest of them got to their knees instantly. Suyeon said with tinge of respect, "Mistress Boa, you've arrived." The way the rest were treating the lady, Jonghyun knew that he should be kneeling down too, but all he said was, "Who are you?" Suyeon tugged the edge of his shirt without looking up and whispered, "Kneel down!" But Jonghyun did nothing. The lady looked at him and laughed, "Bold one. No wonder you are the leader." "Um thanks?" Jonghyun said as he his sword. 
 
"At ease." the lady called Boa said. The rest of them got up uncomfortably. Suyeon saw her looking at Jonghyun and said slowly, "Mistress Boa, this is Jonghyun, leader of-" "Yes yes yes. Leader of the Warriors, trusted messenger of the Chinese Emperor, personal guard of the Crown Prince Kibum. I know." Boa smiled at him. "How did you know all these?" Jonghyun asked, which caused Suyeon to glare at him and say, "Can you be more respectful? She's the older sister of the Emperor. She's in charge of us as well." "Oh." Jonghyun said, feeling a little stupid. "I'm sorry, miss." he said. Boa just smiled and said, "It's okay, dear. And welcome to Korea. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here." Jonghyun nodded his head. 
 
Boa then looked up and cleared , "Guards! The Emperor has decided that the rest of the Warriors from Korea will be coming the day after tomorrow. There will be a small competition. So please prepare." All of them nodded their heads. Boa nodded and left. 

"She has lots of confidence." Jonghyun noted as he watched Boa walk out. The rest of them split up and continued practicing. Suyeon blinked and said, "Yeah. Now let's continue the tour. I think you're going to hate this place if you stay here any longer." She grabbed Jonghyun's arm before dragging him out. 

"Come on you have to do better than this!" Suyeon complained the moment they stepped out of the courtyard. Jonghyun looked at her in surprise and asked, "What?" She let go of his arm forcefully. Jonghyun rubbed his wrist thoroughly. She really had a strong grip. "You didn't talk much! Now the others probably think that you're some sort of a loser. I know you're not." she said in an angry tone as she turned to face him. "How are you so sure that I am not a loser?" Jonghyun asked, feeling amused.

Suyeon glared at him and kicked the ground. "I can't believe I thought you were the..." her voice faltered and she bit her lips. Then she regained her angry expression and yelled, "Gah! I should have killed you just now! You are the most annoying person I've ever met!" She turned away and stomped towards a row of buildings. Jonghyun suddenly felt guilty. He didn't know why, but he felt that that girl had some troubling stuff and yet he was just making her life more difficult.

He had noticed that Suyeon had been looking at him carefully ever since she had known that he was 1) From China 2) He being a Warrior. He couldn't finger on what was wrong with him. "Seriously..." he sighed. Then he looked up and ran after her. "Hey! I'm sorry!" he called.


The sun was dipping down as they finished touring the place. "Why did Kris and Chanyeol look as if I came from space just now when I was meeting them?" Jonghyun asked. That question had been bugging him for the whole day. Suyeon sighed and replied as they walked along the pavement, "You see, frankly speaking, it's already quite a bit of shock when foreigners come into Korea. but then you said that you were from China. And you know the history between our two countries."

"Oh." Jonghyun suddenly felt very stupid. No wonder they had been giving him weird looks. Even Minho had looked at him weird when he had introduced himself. It was as if Suyeon could read his mind, because she said with a small smile, "Don't worry about Minho. He seems very cocky, but he is actually very nice." Jonghyun nodded his head.

Servants hurried past them as they got ready for the evening. Suyeon pointed towards a bunch of towering buildings in the distance. "That's the Royal residences." Jonghyun kept quiet.

After a while of quietness, Suyeon asked quietly, "Are you sword skills better or archery skills better?" Jonghyun thought that it was rather out of the blue but he replied, "Archery." "Can you show me?" she asked. Jonghyun froze in his tracks. Why was she asking all these all of a sudden? But shooting one arrow was not that weird right? He nodded his head and took out his bow. He nocked an arrow and aimed at an apple hanging on a tree.

He concentrated for a few seconds then let the arrow fly. It landed right in the apple with so much force that it fell from the tree. Jonghyun smiled to himself. It was easier than he expected. He turned his head over to see Suyeon and his smile faded instantly. She was staring at him with those kind of scary and... unpredictable eyes. Like a predator after its prey. After realising that Jonghyun was looking at her, she smiled meekly and said, "It was good. I can't shoot as well as you." Yep. Something was wrong with her. "Let's get back to the chambers."

The whole way back was in silence. Nearing the entrance, Jonghyun asked, "So... Your name. It's Suyeon right?" She hesitated for a while and then looked around. After seeing that there were nobody around, she whispered, "I'm going to tell you this. Only the Emperor and the princess knows about this." Jonghyun made that 'go on' hand gesture.

She sat at the edge of the platform outside the chambers. Jonghyun followed her and sat down beside her. "My real name, is Jessica. The name 'Suyeon' was given by the Emperor." Jonghyun repeated her name. "Je-si-ca. Sounds like..." He scratched his mind for answers and when he found the appropriate answer he stared at her. She smiled sadly as him and said, "Yes, I was born in America." He felt very mystified. "Then why-" "Why could I join the guards?" she asked.

"You know, I told you that it was sort of against the rules to have a foreigner in the Guards? I was special." she said as she traced something like a map on the dusty pole beside her. Jonghyun took a wild guess, "Something happened to your family, then somehow the Emperor took you in." "Correct. My father, he..." she faltered. "He died because of a sickness."

Jonghyun looked at the ground.

"Sorry."

"You don't have to feel sorry. It happened so long ago."

"What about your mother?"

She hesitated and then replied, "I was taken from her when I was a small child. Kidnapped. I don't know where she is." Her face was stormy, as if a lot of feelings were passing through her. Jonghyun could understand her.

"You know, my father also died when I was young."

"How?"

"War."

-pause-

"Your mother?" she asked. Jonghyun wanted to cry when he thought of his mother. The memory was still so fresh in his mind. "After my father died, I had a step-father. My mother had to do everything he wanted. He was terrible." Jonghyun said bitterly. "One day, he was drunk. He came home and beat my mother. She pleaded with him to stop, but he continued."

Suddenly, the nightmarish screams of his mother came back into his mind again. It was so comforting in a way, but so... haunting at the same time. "Then?" she asked. "She died from his beatings." It was like a grenade that dropped. Suyeon had this look that was so shocked. It would have been funny, but Jonghyun wasn't in the mood to laugh. "That's terrible!" she said finally. "I know right. I ran away from him. Not that he cared anyway. The days after I left, I grew so hungry, I almost died from hunger. But a kind lady took me in. She was like a second family to me." Jonghyun said. He said it quickly, like water gushing out of a flood gate. After he said it, he realised he felt much better.

Suyeon nodded her head. "How did you become a Warrior." "If there was one thing I learnt from my mother's death, it was never to be defenseless. From that day on, I swore that I would learn to fight. I practiced archery first. The lady that took me in saw that I had an interest for archery, so she bought me a bow. A few years later, there was a message saying that recruits were needed for the Warriors. I signed up, and I passed." Jonghyun said.

"Mine was different." Suyeon said. "After I got kidnapped, I managed to escape. I did not know where I was going. Along the way, I naturally learnt how to fight. Somehow, I ended up at Korea. The Emperor was having a walk at the borderline at that time. He saw me and after I explained everything to him. He asked me to show much fighting skills I had at that time. I showed him, and instantly took me in."

"The lady that took you in must have been very kind..." Suyeon muttered. Jonghyun heard that and laughed, "Well she was. Anyway, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's an orphan." She smiled at him and looked away. She stared at the horizon for quite a while. Suddenly the words she said earlier flashed through her mind, "I can't believe I thought you were the one..."

"There's something wrong with you." he decided. Suyeon turned her head and looked at him. "What's wrong?" she asked. "You've been looking at me weird since you met me, and you said 'I can't believe I thought you were the one...'. So, either I look really bad, or there's something that you know about me." She looked at him and said, "There's nothing wrong." Then she blinked her eyes repeatedly. Strange, she had been doing that since just now. Jonghyun looked at her and saw her eyes glinting. Oh... No wonder. She was tearing, but she didn't want to cry in front of him.

"You're lying." Jonghyun said. Suyeon took a deep breath and glared at him, "No I'm not! There's really nothing wrong." "Sure?" "Yes." "Double sure?" "Yes!" "Then why are you tearing up?" As if on cue, a tear fell from her eyes. "There. I told you." he said as he watched the tear land on the floor. She glared at him but then another tear rolled down her cheeks.

"You're not going to tell me it's nothing right?" he asked. Suyeon wiped away the tears and sniffed. She looked at him and asked, "Do you believe in prophecies?" Jonghyun laughed and said, "Yes! But they don't really happen, right?" He looked at Suyeon and stopped laughing. She was glaring at him, the worst she glare she had given him yet. "Laugh for all you want." she said in a soft voice as her expression softened. "When I was young, I was told that a Warrior, an archer, to be exact, would reunite me with my mother."

Jonghyun pondered on that for a while. "But, it can't only be me right? I mean, like there's quite a few of them that hasn't come yet." Suyeon shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe." She stood up and said, "Let's go back. It's late." Jonghyun nodded and followed her. He looked at her expression on her face and knew that she was not telling him everything, but he didn't want to ask, in case she really skewered him this time.

Before they stepped into the house, Jonghyun asked, "So what do I actually call you?" She turned around and smiled. "Just call call me Sica."

 

 


Okay this chapter's done! Please comment and subscribe! Thank you~