Chapter 2

Fighting Spirit

Sulli awoke and found herself back in her room. Birds were chirping again. Sunshine shone into her room. She sat up and felt woozy. She feeling her head, she staggered out of bed. She looked out of the window and saw the charred ground. She turned around and saw a dagger, polished and clean lying on the table.  Then everything came flooding back to her. The attack. And Luhan. Luhan!

She instantly began changing up into a fresh dress, with hopes to look for Luhan in the hunting grounds. Just as she was pinning her hair up, a voice said from behind her, "Sulli, your highness." Sulli turned around and saw Yuri, one of the seniors of the Warriors. Sulli instantly ran over to Yuri and gave her a tight hug.

"Yuri jie-jie! you're here!" Sulli said excitedly. She pulled her and they sat at the table. "Are you injured?" Sulli asked. Yuri smiled and shook her head but then her expression fell. "What's wrong?" she asked. Yuri looked at the dagger Sulli was holding and looked at Sulli. She stood up and asked, "Your highness... Let's talk in the gardens."

"Jie-jie, what do you want to tell me?" Sulli asked as she walked alongside Yuri. Yuri turned and clasped her hands together with Sulli's. "You've been wondering where Luhan is right?" Yuri asked. Sulli nodded her head. Then Yuri's expression dropped. Sulli had never seen her so sad before. "Yes?" Sulli asked. Suddenly, she had a wild thought... Oh no... Yuri looked up at her and said, "Sulli, Luhan is missing. He was taken away."

Sulli suddenly found it hard to breathe. "What?!" she asked Yuri in utter disbelief. Yuri just hugged her and said, "I'm so sorry, my princess. I'm not lying." Sulli just dropped to the ground and began crying. Yuri knelt down beside her and patted her back and comforted her.

She whispered, "I've sent out search parties, my dear." "Is there any news of him?" Sulli sniffed. Yuri shook her head sadly. "I'll inform you if there is news of him." A fresh wave of tears flowed down her cheeks. Yuri felt very bad and guilty for the princess. She was supposed to protect the royals. Although she didn't physically harm Sulli, she knew that the girl was hurt deeper than a real cut. She could have done more.

Yuri noticed the dagger hanging from a sash on Sulli's dress. She picked it up and said, "Sulli, look." Sulli looked at the dagger. "Luhan... He gave you this right?" she asked. Sulli nodded her head weakly. Yuri felt the blade's edge under her fingers. "This dagger... Only the Warriors have them. This dagger is presented to evrery one of the Warriors after completing a brave act." Then she smiled as she recalled the day Luhan received the dagger from the Emperor's brother.

"Sulli... Do you remember why Luhan got this dagger?" Yuri asked. Sulli's face brightened a little after hearing that. "Y-yes! He saved me from drowning in the pond." she said. "When Luhan gave you this dagger, it's like he's giving you a part of his soul." Yuri said thoughtfully. "He wants you to remember him, and what he did for you and-"

Just then, a servant came running up to them. She curtsied and said, "The Emperor asks for the princess' and the Second-in-command of the Warriors' presence in court now." Sulli wiped away her tears and stood up. She then said, "Thank you, and be at ease. You may leave now." The servant curtsied again and went off in another direction.

Sulli looked at Yuri. If her father required them both to be in court... "Let's go now." Yuri said as she returned Sulli Luhan's dagger. Then they both ran towards the court. ~


Luhan found himself tied to a pole in an unknown wooden shed the moment he woke up. The shed was dark, except for a lantern and a few beams of sunlight shnig through the holes in the walls. Where the heck am I? he thought as he registered the surroundings. He looked at his legs and saw a deep cut which was still bleeding. Then he remembered the siege. Sulli!

He instantly awoke completely and struggled to untie his hands. He used his strength but the rope was too tight. He considered yelling for help but he a thought passed his mind: If he was captured, the kidnappers must be somewhere near. And he didn't want to get their attention.

Luhan continued trying for a while, until his fingers were blistered and sore, but there was still no improvement. He was trying again but then a loud voice rang out, "Well well well. My dear Luhan." He heard a couple of footsteps coming towards him and he turned around instantly. He swallowed his gasp when he realised who the person was.

"Master Heechul!" he squeaked, which sounded totally weird. The man laughed and said, "Yes it's me, Luhan." Luhan looked at Heechul. A piece of jade was hanging from his waist - a sign of royalty. He was the brother of the Emperor. Luhan focused on him and asked, "Why am I here? Can you release me?" Heechul just smirked. He drew his sword and walked towards him.

Luhan thought that he was going to cut the ropes but hebent down and pressed the blade against Luhan's neck. "What are you doing, Master?" he asked, very aware of the cold blade. Heechul spat, "Master! Master here master there!" Then he glared at Luhan. "Everyone calls me that! Master! Why not Emperor?" Luhan stared at Heechul and asked, "Isn't your position high enough? The brother of the Emperor?"

Heechul gave a sarcastic laugh and said, "I want to be the Emperor! Not his brother!" Luhan swallowed as a chill ran down his back. "You want to take over the throne?" Heechul smirked again. "I trusted you!" he yelled. "Why?" Heechul pressed the blade deeper into his neck. "Hmm... You're a smart one, are you?" Luhan broke into cold sweat.

"Why?" he mused. He withdrew the sword and stood up. Luhan took a deep breath. "Was it fair, that Leeteuk got to be the Emperor?" he asked. Heechul turned around and faced him. Then he roared, "He was younger than me! I was the better warrior! He was such a bookworm!" Luhan just said forcefully, "Let me go!" Heechul smiled and shook his head. "No no no. You're a very important pawn in this game, Luhan."

He stared at Heechul in shock. "What?" he asked. Heechul walked around the shed as he said, "I have always known that you loved Princess Sulli, Luhan." Luhan yelled, "Don't you dare harm her!" Heechul laughed, "See? I knew it." He sheathed his sword and said, "I plan to eliminate the Royals. Everyone of them." Heechul clipped off every word in the last sentence.

"You can't do that!" Luhan argued. Heechul ignored him and continued thoughtfully, "After that, I will move on to Korea, and destroy them." "No you can't!" "Yes I can! Don't underestimate me!" he shouted. Luhan must have looked quite horrified, because Heechul snickered and said, "Aww don't worry, I might spare them." Then he looked at Luhan. "If you do whatever I say."

"Never in my life." Luhan spat. "If not, I will kill everyone, starting with the princess." Heechul said menacingly. He gave Luhan a look that said, "Try it if you dare." Heechul smirked as he walked towards him. "You will give me an answer by this evening, Luhan. Or everyone you care about, will die." he said. Then he walked out of the door and closed it with a loud slam.


Jonghyun paced up and down the hall, waiting for Heechul to arrive. He had sent for Jonghyun to meet him at the west gate, but he hadn't arrived yet. Just then, Heechul came walking hurriedly through the gates. Jonghyun went up to him and bowed, "Master." Heechul's lips curled in distaste bu he quickly regained his smile.

"Why are you late, Master?" Jonghyun asked. Heechul's expression fell and he explained, "Oh... I was out looking for Luhan..." Jonghyun nodded his head sadly. Luhan had been captured by the mysterious people in the attack the previous night and he hadn't heard of him since. "Um... Master, why have you summoned me?" he asked.

"Oh." Heechul said. Then he took out a scroll from his sleeve and passed it to Jonghyun. "Take this, to Korea. It is a letter from the Emperor." he told Jonghyun. Jonghyun shifted his feet uncomfortably and said, "I'm sorry Master, but without the Emperor's permission I cannot leave China." Heechul just waved his hands and took out a Royal seal and handed it to Jonghyun.

"There. Can you leave now?" Heechul asked impatiently. Jonghyun nodded his head nervously. A part of him was thinking: Don't trust this guy! But that idea was so riduculous he ignored it. "I suppose so." he replied. Heechul smiled and then said, "Then it's settled. Please send it as fast as possible. I'll be going now. I have other... work, to do." Heechul spoke the last few words as if he was savouring the thought.

Then he walked away, leaving Jonghyun more mystified than ever. But, it was his duty to deliver the scroll to the Emperor of Korea, and preferably come back in one piece.  ~