Never grow old.

But Peter doesn't end up with Wendy.

People have this misconception that Peter Pan eventually ends up with Wendy. He doesn’t. In JM Barrie’s original work, Peter Pan, the story ends with him promising to visit Wendy every spring. The Darlings offer to raise the Lost Boys, him included. But Peter doesn’t want that. He’d rather stay in Neverland. He doesn’t want to grow old.

Minseok is similar to Peter that way. He doesn’t want to grow old, nor grow up.

It has been 7 years since he became a part of EXO. Seven long years, and he still goes back to the first day they went on stage. He clings on to this memory, never wanting to let go.

It was when he decided he had finally found his Wendy.

They were all holding hands as they bowed to the crowd. He it all in, the cheers, the applause, and the lights that are shining so brightly on them. He finally feels like a star. He looks at the person beside him and smiles.

“Lu Han, I think you’re my Wendy.” And the boy answers with a small squeeze of their hands and a smile, complete with twinkling eyes.

But that was seven years ago. s have their own careers now. Some have solo projects, others are in sub-units, and Minseok eventually finds himself spending more and more of his time alone in their dorms. The other boys have moved on, not unlike Peter’s Lost Boys.

He lies alone on his bed, the bed that was once referred to as theirs, not justhis. He’s clutching the pillow that Luhan left. He was such in a hurry to leave Minseok’s side, as if being in his presence would destroy him. He needed to depart, Luhan said. He needed to leave in order to move on. Being with Minseok was too much for him. It used to be so amusing and so euphoric, but that ceased to be the case. Not when Minseok refused to let go of EXO.

They were already going their separate ways and were on the verge of disbanding. Minseok rejected that reality, however. He keeps a tight grip on his desire to bring the group back together. It’s not that the agency forgot about him, it was he who made the decision not to do any activities outside of his group.

This is why Luhan left him, because he can’t let go.

Minseok was devastated. He thought Luhan was his Wendy, and they would be timeless.

But Peter and Wendy don’t end up together.

 

And Minseok is left behind, in his own version of Neverland.