a familiar stranger

The Empty Book

I found myself at Daehyun’s door within minutes of leaving the house, not due to speeding of course, but more from the curiosity burning a hole within me. I knocked on his door, almost obnoxiously and I felt sorry but I needed answers and I needed them now.

"Sojung?" Daejung said when he opened the door. The smell of dark coffee hit me in the face again. I was probably never going to get used to this smell.

"Is Daehyun there?" I asked immediately.

"He's in his study, is something the matter?"

"I just have a few questions. May I come in?"

"I mean, I guess." Daejung said cautiously. "It seems important." He opened the door wider so I could get in.

I wanted to tell him it wasn't really important, but more of urgent, but I figured that wouldn't make sense so I dropped the topic and climbed the stairs up to Daehyun’s room.

I knocked on Daehyun’s door twice before waiting for a reply.

"Is that Sojung?" There was a silence before he opened the door, only a creak.

"How'd you know?" I smiled when I saw him. For some reason, when I saw his swept hair and thick lips, I almost forgot why I came.

"Daejung doesn't knock before he comes in." He explained easily. "Why'd you come?" He asked bluntly.

"Well," I said as a plopped down on the floor, the same place I woke up to earlier. "I heard about your new novel."

Daehyun had no response for me after that statement. I looked around the room, and it was still the same. The loose papers complimented the tan leather bindings of the books stacked neatly on his bookshelf while the dark brown curtains let in an occasional ray of sunshine. And of course, Daehyun was in the middle of this artistic mess, but at the same time made it seem like everything belonged where it was.

"What about it?" He finally said.

"When did you write it?" I asked, bluntly like he did,

He turned to stare at me. "Why do you need to know?" There was an edge in his voice.

"Is there a reason I can’t?"

He looked away. "Is there a reason why you should?" I saw him clutch the edge of the table and his knuckles turned white.

"Look," I began. "I'm only wondering because I've been here a lot recently, and I've never actually seen you write." I paused to check on his reaction, and there was none. "I'm not looking to steal your technique or anything. I'm merely curious." He suddenly bolted up from his chair.

"Take your stuff and get out." He whispered. Since I was sitting on the floor, he seemed so tall, so demanding.

I got up to match in height with him. It wasn't my place to challenge him, but at this point, he was being rude.

"Alright I don't know-" I was cut off by Daejung’s sudden entrance.

Daehyun was right. He doesn't knock.

"Don't fight kids." He warned before smiling at us. "Sojung I think it's time you come downstairs now."

"Alright Daejung-oppa. " Daehyun turned his head slightly when I said oppa. I just needed to get out as soon as I could.

I made my way downstairs where I saw Daejung sitting on the couch with a cup of water.

"Here, have a seat." Daejung motioned with a smile. Every time I look at Daejung I always wonder how brothers can be so different.

I took his offer and sat down on the black leather sofa.

"Sorry about Daehyun." He said. "He gets really irritable before he's about to publish a book. Its really stressful, right?"

"I mean it's not that bad." I answered shortly. "He's published so many books already though."

"Books aren't something that you get better at writing over time. They're more varied. You might come up with a revolutionary idea one day and absolute trash the next. Its a matter of what happens in Daehyun’s head." Daejung explained.

I nodded my head in understanding. "I do have one question though." I admitted.

Daejung smiled. "What is it?"

"So... when does Daehyun write?" I asked Daejung. His reaction, though not as extreme as Daehyun’s, also went down. "What? Is it a big secret or something?"

Daejung put his cup of water down and leaned back into the sofa. "I wouldn't call it a secret. It’s just a difficult truth." He sighed again after finishing.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Daehyun didn't seem to want to tell you, so I don't want to just disrespect his decisions." He paused and looked in the direction of Daehyun’s study. "I can tell you something though."

I looked at him with curiosity after he said that.

"Look for Kim Seohwa."  


Kim Seohwa. That name kept recurring in front of me.

What did Daehyun’s first love have to do with all of this? Why is she still so important? And why was Daejung so secretive?

Every time I drove back from Daehyun’s house, questions swarmed my brain. I just couldn't figure him out. It began as me seeking advice from my senior, but now I wanted to know so much more. I know it shouldn't be my business, but the answer always seems right in front of my face, except I can't find it.

I pulled the car over as soon as I saw a convenience store.

"Excuse me." I said as soon as I walked in. "Do you have a phone book?"

"Yeah it's right over there." The cashier pointed at the window next to the hot water machines and true to his word, three thick yellow books were lying there.

"Thanks." I answered before making my way over there.

"Kim Seohwa. Kim Seohwa." I muttered in my head while flipping through the pages. "Why, South Korea, do you have so many Kims?"

After flipping through all the books, I found a total of about 24 Kim Seohwas, all residing in Seoul or close around it.

"Oh?!" I heard someone exclaim behind me. I turned around, and saw a young lady in her twenties. "Are you Park Sohee?"

I raised my eyebrow. "Yes, you recognize me?"

"Oh my God I am such a fan of your works." She told me.

I laughed, it was the first time I met a fan in real life. It was strange being called by my pen name.

"Please just call me Sojung." I smiled as I shook her hand.

"Oh, Park Sohee is your pen name right? Ugh, sorry how could I forget?' She exclaimed. "I love your book so much. We''re about the same age too! I'm Kim Seohwa, by the way."

My eyes widened. "K-Kim Seohwa?" I confirmed.

"Yep!" She smiled brightly at me.

I stared at her. "Do you know Jung Daehyun?"

She stared at me. "Well I've read his books..." her voice trailed off.

"Do you know him personally?" I asked.

"I mean I guess you could say that..." the brightness in her voice left, and she started avoiding eye contact with me.

I knew who this is.

She is Kim Seohwa, but not just Kim Seohwa. She's Daehyun’s Kim Seohwa.

Jackpot.

 

a/n: omg let me first apologize for not updating in like months. Basically i usually update during school vacation but i went to China in April and then the whole Kris situation happened and now im kinda struggling with finals but i managed to get a chapter in!! i'm honestly so sorry for the extremely late update. :'(

sorry if there are grammar mistakes or anything, i wrote this on my phone. >.< and also, i know it's almost too coincidental at the end, but i just wanted to speed things up :D any predictions as to what happens next? ^^

thanks for reading! don't forget to comment, upvote and subscribe ^^

(please comment XD i want to know what you guys think^^)