Second letter

Penpals

Days went by and Youngjae didn't thought about the letter, or Daehyun. He was staying inside his room playing video games and occasionally eating with family. He felt no need to be with others, that required too much energy which he lacked. His parents were out working and majority of the day their house was silent. Sometimes Youngjae could imagine he lives alone and feels happy like he felt before. He tried to remember how he felt before accident, but those memories were gone. He couldn't bring back feelings and started to believe that he never felt happy.

Mrs. Yoo checks the mail on the way home and between bills and junk mail she finds a letter addressed to her son, the name on the back says it's from Daehyun. She smiles as she walks to Youngjae's room, knocking lightly before she goes in. "Look what I found." Youngjae looks up from his bed to see his mom holding an item in the shape of an envelope. She walks to him passing it to his hand. "Don't worry, I didn't open it." She smiles and leaves the room while the boy slowly examines both sides of the envelope. His gaze lingers on the way Daehyun wrote his name. It's always interesting to see the way others write your name. He opens the envelope carefully, taking the equally plain notebook page out. He still can't believe Daehyun had replied him and he waits no longer as curiosity kicks in.

Dear Youngjae he starts reading and his eyes widens at the informal tone used.

I was happy to receive a letter from you. My ad had been up on the page for a while, but you're the first person who had responded. It feels special. I know that it was your therapist who picked my address, but it was you who wrote the letter.

I'm also glad we're close by age and I feel sad reading about how you feel. You might frown and think that I don't understand how it feels, but that's why I'm here. To understand and to help you. But first of all, I want to be your friend.

It's my first letter and you don't know anything about me, so here it goes.

As you know, my name is Daehyun, I'm residing in Busan. The climate is nice whole year round here. I always wondered how does it feel in Seoul? Are Winters cold there? I would love to see the snow and the way it covers all objects with its pure white blanket. I watch those American movies where kids play in snow and they have white Christmas and my heart swell with jealousy.

I was born in Summer and I feel the best in this season though. I love to bath in sun and swim in the sea which is so near. If you ever visit Busan let me know, I will take you to the best beach where the sand is soft and the water is clean.

We have lots of fresh sea food restaurants and stands in the streets and I love seafood. Sure, it has a weird smell and taste most of the time, but overall it's refreshing. What kind of food is popular in Seoul?

Our cities are in the same country, but so far away from each other that I wonder what are the differences and similarities between them?

As you know, I go to High School. It's my last year and I enjoy it fully. Studying is not so fun, but I meet my friends after school and we play football or go to the beach.

Youngjae stops here closing his eyes to feel the sun on his face and smell how salty sea air is. It was a gloomy day in Seoul, air is heavy with fumes and he felt envious. Daehyun has sent the sun and the fresh air with his letter and Youngjae had embraced it hungrily. Suddenly he felt too suffocated between these walls and he got up holding the letter and exited his room going downstairs before he was caught. He was putting the sneakers on when mom came from the kitchen, bringing nice smell of dinner with her. "Where are you going?" She asked, surprised. "I'm going outside for a bit." Youngjae muttered and stepped to the door opening it. "Don't stay too long, dinner is almost done." Youngjae hummed in response and left. Mrs. Yoo saw the letter in his hand and she returned to the kitchen with a lighter feeling in her heart.

Youngjae walks behind the house of their private house's yard and sits under the plum tree that always casts a nice shadow which isn't needed today, but he finds himself comfortable before returning to reading the letter.

I'm going to tell you about my family now. It's nothing special. My dad works in the office and my mom is a teacher. I have an older brother who currently studies in uni. I think we get on just fine. We fought like all siblings do, but now we grew up and got closer. I can look up to my brother who always takes good care of me. He recently found a girlfriend he dates and we spend less time together, but that's ok.

I hope my letter wasn't boring. I was excited to find a letter from you and I replied immediately hoping that this will reach you soon. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Daehyun

Youngjae slowly folded the paper, his thoughts invaded by new visions of the city so far from him, this boy he barely knows who wrote him a casual letter. He could imagine Daehyun's family, all of them tanned from constant sun and everyone happy. Weather in Seoul described Youngjae's mood better.

Suddenly he realised something. He didn't want to admit, but as he read the letter his mind started buzz like wild bees as he mentally started writing a reply. He closed his eyes finding it enjoyable.

He started as soon as he finished eating dinner, the feeling of excitement was so unfamiliar. Youngjae took the notebook which was also a supporter for writing comfortably as he moved to sit on his bed and started. He followed the tone Daehyun used.

Dear Daehyun. I don't know how you found my letter exciting. To me it was just one side of notebook sheet with the words I forced out of myself.

Seoul is gloomy, dirty and loud. I am sure Busan is a nice place, but don't idolise Seoul. Our Winters are cold and the snow piles up, but it's not white and beautiful when it turns to dirt on streets. I hate it how the cold enters the house and I don't feel safe in my own room. I’m born in Winter, yet I’m not fond of this season. Funny. I'm sure I would love the sun and the sea, which I haven’t seen for such a long time interval. By the way, I can’t swim.

You asked me about food here. I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I don’t go out much and I never liked eating out. The food my mom makes is good. We rarely have seafood here, but I’m not sure if the rest is typical to this place. You should look up this information if you want to know.

I’m sure that the difference between Seoul and Busan are the Korean we use. As far as I know, you use dialect, right? Too bad I can’t feel it from the way you write, but I would like to hear you speak it.

Your family seems really nice. I only have parents. My dad works in a bank and my mom is a lawyer. They are both busy people, but when they are home they keep glancing at me with those worried expressions, even though I’m fine right now. I wasn’t able to walk for half a year and my legs still sometimes feel stiff, but then I walk around and it gets better. I want them to stop worry about me.

P.S. You haven’t told me why are you into this?

Youngjae

He looked at what he wrote  and frowned, displeased again, but he didn’t feel like rewriting it. Just like the first letter, he folded the paper before bringing it to his mom. “You answered it already?” Youngjae shrugged his shoulders. “He replied me asap so I thought I might as well do that. Not like I have anything else to do.” “Ok, dear. I will send this out on Monday after work.” He shrugged again. “Fine by me.”

That night when he laid in his bed unable to fall asleep his thoughts kept wondering to sunny Busan and Daehyun there playing football and smiling. He envied that happy boy who got everything Youngjae didn’t. He couldn’t understand why he needs to do this.