Fourth letter

Penpals

He unlocked the square metal box and looked inside expectantly, but beside their daily newspaper there was nothing. No envelope with an address to Yoo Youngjae. He sighed before closing the box and turning the little key to lock it. Youngjae doesn't know when did he got so impatient in waiting for a reply from Daehyun, but he was checking the mailbox now everyday when it was usually one of his parents to do that. Cold raindrops finally broke free from the clouds that were waiting above whole morning and he ducked his head in the sweater running inside. Just by that time the rainfall turned into a downpour falling rhythmically on the windows and Youngjae remembered he forgot to take the newspaper.

 

Day after day Youngjae visited his mailbox and like the day before there was nothing from Daehyun. He thought that the boy must have abandoned him. He probably decided that exchanging letters with a sick person isn't fun at all and when Youngjae had told him about what happened to him Daehyun got scared he won't be able to help. And he shouldn't. This is what the therapist is supposed to do. She needs to meet Youngjae and talk to him, give him all kinds of medicine to help him get through this depression as soon as possible so that he could feel well returning to school. His parents saw how restless Youngjae became and they thought he's going through panic attacks again, but the boy told them the reason and they told him to give some time to Daehyun. Writing old fashioned letters is about waiting. It takes time for the letter to reach the recipient and more time for the other person to sit down and take the time of writing an answer properly. Then the letter travels again. They lived in the same country, but the distance between Seoul and Busan required few days for mail to travel. And Youngjae waited. It is said that if you waited for long already you can wait some more. And that's when Youngjae was granted for his patience by a long awaited reply.

After finding the longed envelope with his name on it Youngjae escaped to the back yard. There were some bushes growing and he found a comfortable spot behind them. He needed some privacy where no one could see him and this was it.

After carefully opening the envelope and taking out its contents he swiftly looked around to make sure no one is around and started reading.

 

Dear Youngjae,

I apologize for making you wait, this took me longer than I intend to.  I hope you're not disappointed in me. I was about to write the reply when I received another letter from you which surprised me, but soon I understood. I saw why you decided to tell me about the dream that keeps haunting you and it helped me to find out more about you. I'm thankful for your decision to tell me.

You asked me why I am doing this. Really, why.

In your eyes I look like a happy-go-lucky guy that has a lot of friends and play football under the sunny sky. But how much do you actually know about me Youngjae?

In reality I'm a sensitive human being who is not ignorant towards other's pain. I thought of a way to do good when I came across the web page and signed up. I found letters exciting, too bad no one is writing them these days. I wanted to give it a try so you have no idea how happy your letter made me. I hope I can make you happy too.

I want to know your fears, dreams that haunt you in the dark of the night, your insecurities and hope that one day you return to the social world out there. I'll be the hand you can hold when you step outside.

Here, I sit by my desk writing this to you and I think how great it would be if we lived in the same city and could meet up and hang out. I would help you take the first small steps towards the brighter tomorrow, but we live far from each other and I can only send you these letters.

I'm sorry I asked you about food there. I guess I should come over and try it by myself. As long as you would be my guide.

Daehyun

 

Youngjae felt a single tear run down his cheek and fall into his lap. He felt guilty for being cold towards this boy who only tried to help him. He was disappointed in friends and people, in general, to be able to accept Daehyun with open arms.

He folded the paper and closed his eyes imagining how great it would be if they could meet. Youngjae wouldn't be afraid of going out, as long as he doesn't have to take a car ride, and go to the city. He also wonders how food tastes like, it's been too long when he was out.

He wanted to call Daehyun his friend, the only friend he actually had.

 

Still feeling guilty the boy returned to his room and picked up the usual notebook and a pen, scribbling down the words that were pouring directly from his heart like a rainfall. Youngjae was different this time:he took his walls down and allowed his emotions to speak. Youngjae told Daehyun how he wished they met and hanged out trying out different food until they were so full they could not walk. He was surprised at how the pen flew across the page. He even went that far he confessed wanting Daehyun to be in the same school as him. Although, it would be impossible. Daehyun is about to finish school while Youngjae is one year behind, but that didn't stop him from dreaming. After all, dreams doesn't cost anything.

 

Once the letter was done and sealed Youngjae feeling much brighter greeted his parents downstairs bringing the letter to mom. She was moved to tears seeing her son smiling, it was long ago since he last had a genuine smile.

"Doctor would like to meet you next week. Are you willing to go?" his father asked.

"Sure. I need to fight my fear by taking the car rides more often."

He heard his mother sniff and saw his dad smiling.

"What about we go to the mall tomorrow?"

Youngjae nodded his head eagerly.

"Why not. And can we stop by a food stall while we're on it?"

 

 

__
Sorry I took so long to update. I wasn't sure where this is going and still haven't decided, but here came another chapter~