First letter

Penpals

It all started with a suggestion the psychologist had. Dr. Lee was one of the greatest post-trauma psychologist and she took in Youngjae to help him. A teenage boy, merely seventeen years old and with a trauma that restricted him from walking for half year. Being a quiet, introvert type, after the unfortunate happening he shut in and became apathetic to everything. Being unable to attend school he fell a year behind and lost all of his friends. Or maybe they weren’t friends in the first place. They visited him at home to cheer him up and tell all the news, but eventually stopped. They are moving on and Youngjae was left behind. He wasn't very talkative and dr. Lee couldn't help much, because he refused to speak, until she came up with idea of letter therapy. Writing your thoughts down can help more than verbal conversation, it's easier to open up. That way he could help himself and be able to engage in conversation with another person.

She had found a potential pal through a web page that was working with purpose of gathering people who are willing to write letters to those that are lonely, depressed or unable to socialize. She picked up a boy of similar to Youngjae's age, Jung Daehyun, and gave the address to Youngjae. His parents were there to hear the instructions of how to do it fair. They had to make sure their son will write the letter which they will send out for him.

Through all meeting Youngjae kept a straight face which lately was rarely showing any emotions. He nod to show that he understood what he will have to do when dr. Lee insisted.

 

Home was a good, safe place Youngjae liked to be. There were no people he had to converse with, only his parents and their worried expressions. He could walk by his own now, but not quick, yet he escaped to his room as fast as he could so that he didn’t had to see those faces. His mom came after him shortly, holding a little paper with the boy's address on it. "Youngjae, sweetie, you need to do it as soon as you can." "Do I have to?" He mumbled. "I don't know him." "But you will meet him now." She handed him the paper and Youngjae focused his eyes on the letters that said Jung Daehyun who was from Busan. The thought that this stranger is so far away from him made him relax and give it a try. "What should I write?" "Introduce yourself, write anything you want. It's a letter and I'm sure you can write anything to that boy." She smiled encouragingly and said she won't disturb him before she left.

Youngjae's time was moving slower than everyone else and he stayed for a while just looking at the paper. The next move he did was taking a piece of paper, he ripped out of a notebook and taking a pen before he sat by his table, eyes focused on the linear paper in front of him. And he finally started. Daehyun... No, that's not right. They don't know each other yet. Moreover, this Daehyun guy didn't knew that some Yoo Youngjae all the way in Seoul is currently trying to write him a letter. Trying, well said.

He started again, with a formal Hello and introduced himself.

 

My name is Youngjae, I'm from Seoul. My therapist had found your address and wanted me to write you. I'm sure that by adding your contact into the web page you are willing to correspond with ill people, someone like me. She told me you're one year older, so I'm guessing you're at the last year of High school. I'm actually envious. I had to quit school due to my condition and I missed a year that I will have to retake. I can't stay home for the rest of my life, I need to go back when the new school year starts, but my problem is that I don't want to. I am afraid.

I'm interested what kind of person you are, willing to burden yourself with someone else's problems. I have enough of those for few people.

 

He stopped and read through what he wrote feeling displeased with it, but he decided to send this out, as he was told. He finally finished the letter, folded it in the half and without reading again, brought it downstairs. His mom put it in the envelope and they wrote both Daehyun's and sender's addresses.

"I'm going to mail this tomorrow after work. I'm sure he will reply you soon." Youngjae agreed with her, because that's what they expected him to do and he obeyed, but that night, before going to sleep he didn't had hopes to hear back from this Daehyun guy.