is a jerk

Jerk

“This is more like it Sunggyu.” Onew commented as he read the second draft of the story. Now I can see the direction we are heading for in  this story. I’m looking into casting Amber and Kevin for this, they fit the role nicely. “ Onew said and Sunggyu just nodded. “Write a teaser for this and we’ll present it to the top management by next month. Good work Sunggyu-ssi” Onew praised him and Sunggyu weakly smiled and left.

 

“You’ve been in and out of the hot seat recently.” Donghyun said as he handed him a cup of coffee. “Don’t even mention it Donghyun.” Sunggyu grunted as he went back to his work, typing and editing this project he had with Onew.

 

“He said we’ll work on this together but all he does is instruct me to write this and that.” Sunggyu uttered out of frustration and Woohyun had to sigh heavily as the tales of the jerk boss continued. “Sunggyu-hyung, aren’t you getting tired with all this hatred? You keep it inside, still follow him and write that story for him.” Woohyun remarked and Sunggyu pouted. “I don’t want to lose my job Woohyun.” Sunggyu answered him. “Hey, didn’t you receive a proposal from FujiTV? They’ve been scouting you for the longest time! If you are really pissed off with your boss, why not accept their offer?” Woohyun suggested and Sunggyu nodded. “I don’t have enough reason to leave” Sunggyu confessed and Woohun grinned. “Not even your jerk of a boss?” Woohyun asked and Sunggyu nodded. “He’s still haven’t reached my limits. It’s manageable.” Sunggyu uttered then sighed.

 

Sunggyu was thinking of what Woohyun had said and Jaesi had to tap him on the shoulders to get his attention. “huh?” Sunggyu jolted and Jaesi smiled at him. “Mr. Lee wants to see you in his office.” She said then left Sunggyu. He then gathered his folder and went inside. “You wanted to see me sir.” Sunggyu asked as he entered. “How’s the story?” Onew asked and Sunggyu handed him the folder which contained the story line and all the things needed for the story con. “Great, please present it later at the monthly meeting. You have 3 hours to do the presentation. Break a leg Kim Sunggyu.” Onew then let him out. Sunggyu left the office and placed his things on his desk then walked out to the fire exit to let out his frustration. “That bastard! Three hours?! You’ve got to be ing kidding me. This is it. I’m quitting!”   He shouted to no one in particular. When he calmed down, he returned to his place to start working on the presentation.  An hour before the scheduled presentation, Onew left his office and went to the board rooms. Sunggyu was still focused on his work and even if he was frustrated, he still managed to finish it with professionalism.

 

Sunggyu packed his things and went up to the board room. He shuffled the print outs as he stepped out of the elevator and hissed as he forgot to ask which room he should go into. “You’re early.” A voice greeted Sunggyu and Onew was there waiting for him. He asked Jaesi to grab the papers and the presentation from Sunggyu and he in turn led the lad to another room. “Hey.” Sunggyu tried to stop the boss from whatever he was planning but Onew’s grip was deathly. “Fix yourself.” Onew said then left him. Sunggyu scanned the room and found a suit hanging by a full length mirror. He bobbed his head to the side and gasped as he saw his freakishly horrible reflection. “Oh my.” He then quickly fixed himself and went out of the room wearing the suit. “Well, that’s more presentable.” Onew said then entered the board room.

 

Sunggyu’s eyes widened as he saw distinguished people of the broadcasting giant and Onew has to bring him back to his senses. “Mr. Kim Sunggyu is a distinguished member of our team and one of the brains of top rated dramas ‘Nothing’s over’, “Dream Girl’, ‘Be Mine’ and our latest hit, ‘Man in Love’. He’ll be presenting to you this afternoon, a fun and exciting new story that will surely get the niche market of young teens.” Onew ended the introduction and handed the floor to Sunggyu.

 

Sunggyu greeted the members with a polite and warm expression then headed off to his presentation. The board listened intently at the story of a girl and guy who would find love and friendship amidst the cultural and societal stigma of girls and boys. They nodded with the good points and after he was done, they all applauded. “Mr. Kim, this is a controversial piece you are proposing but is it a risk worth taking?” One asked and Sunggyu pondered on what to answer. Seeing him in deep thought, Onew answered for him. “I believe that this is a breakthrough in terms of concept and story. This will be a typical formula with all the cliché but we are going to bend them to create something interesting and pleasing to the viewers. We’ve proven time and again that these gimmicks would click as in Nothing’s Over. The mix of light drama, comedy and romance  but putting in taboo would be a breath of fresh air to sappy teenage dramas about school and love.” Onew ended and they all nodded.

 

“It’s worth a try Mr. Lee and Mr. Kim. We’ll consider this as one of our selection for the next summer drama.” The Board of Directors Chairman said and the two bowed and left the room. “Great work Sunggyu-ssi. Have the rest of the day off.” Onew said and Sunggyu just nodded. He then entered the room to change into his regular work clothes then went down to get his stuff. But something stopped him. He sat down on his chair and opened up his laptop. He started typing then hesitated to print it out.

 

After the day was done, and everyone was out of the office, Sunggyu knocked on his boss’ door and he let himself enter. “I thought that you had the rest of the day off.” Onew muttered and Sunggyu shook his head. He then handed a letter which Onew took and read. “A resignation letter?” Onew asked and Sunggyu nodded. “I guess it can’t be helped.” Onew sighed then looked back from his computer. “Standard procedures Sunggyu; two weeks for your turnover and exit interview.  You can take your leave anytime in the next two weeks if you are going to settle some things for your new job or whatever legal business that you must attend to.” Onew just said and Sunggyu nodded then left.

 

He quickly gathered his things then went straight home to cry. He felt underappreciated and like he meant nothing to his boss. Woohyun arrived a few minutes later and saw the moping hamster in the living room. “Hyung, what happened?” Woohyun asked and Sunggyu started crying again. “He didn’t stop me!” Sunggyu blurted out and cried loudly, Woohyun was freaking out. When he calmed down, Woohyun handed a glass of water and Sunggyu told him everything. “He didn’t stop me!” Sunggyu reiterated and Woohyun shook his head. “Were you intentionally going to resign or not?” Woohyun asked and Sunggyu did not respond. “Hyung?” Woohyun asked again and Sunggyu shook his head then hugged his knees. “I was so frustrated that I just thought of resigning. Then I figured that if he stopped me, at least he’s not a complete jerk at all. But he didn’t stop me and it only shows how useless I am to him. That I am only a thing he can replace in an instant.” Sunggyu started crying again and Woohyun sighed. “Look at it on the bright side hyung, you can finally accept the offer of FujiTV.” Woohyun tried to lighten up the atmosphere and Sunggyu muttered “I’ll think about it.”

 

“I can’t believe it Gyu, a job offering from FujiTV, It’s huge!” Donghyun commented and he sighed. “When’s the trip?’ Donghyun asked and Suggyu answered “Tomorrow”. “That fast? Shall we party later?” Donghyun suggested but Sunggyu shook his head. “I need to rest; I have an early flight tomorrow.” Sunggyu replied and Donghyun nodded. He was then called in by the HR and Sunggyu filled out the exit interview.

 

“So Sunggyu-ssi, the primary reason you wrote is..” Taemin said as he scanned the paper. “My boss is a jerk.” Sunggyu replied and Taemin smiled. “Well I guess he is kind of a jerk sometimes.” Taemin replied. “Sometimes? Most of the times.” Sunggyu corrected him. “You know Sunggyu-ssi, Onew-ssi maybe a metal fist when it comes to work but he looks for what’s best for his people. A job offer from Japan’s top TV station is something you shouldn’t miss. He believes that you have the talent to succeed.” Taemin told him. “He didn’t stop me so I guess he just doesn’t think I’m worthy enough to keep.” Sunggyu answered and Taemin sighed. “It can’t be helped Sunggyu-ssi. It’s a pleasure having you here. Good Luck in your future endeavors.” Taemin then extended a hand which Sunggyu shook.

 

He just returned to pick up his things when he was called into the office for the last time. “Oh heck, it’s the last time” Sunggyu muttered to himself then entered the office. Onew was busy staring at the computer screen. “ahem” Sunggyu cleared his throat which broke Onew’s concentration.  Onew then handed an envelope which Sunggyu opened. “The story has been approved but as the owner of it, I need your permission; it’s your intellectual property.” Onew said and Sunggyu nodded. “It’s yours to pursue.” Sunggyu said and returned the papers to Onew, his boss nodded. “Well, anything more?” Sunggyu asked and Onew nodded. He opened his drawer and took out a box, then handed it to Sunggyu. “A parting gift for your hardwork, talent and dedication. Good Luck Kim Sunggyu.” Onew said and Sunggyu thanked him as he received the box. He then excused himself and left the office.

 

He arrived home and threw the box on his bed. “You jerk! You didn’t stop me from leaving and now you’re giving me a parting gift?! Am I really nothing to you Onew?” Sunggyu cried and fell on his knees. He continued to cry until he felt tired and sleep dawned on him.

 

He woke up with the sound of his alarm; he has to prepare for his flight. He stood up and almost tripped on the still wrapped box. He took it then shoved it inside the empty drawer and took his time to clean himself. He arrived at the airport on time; Woohyun and Kibum were there to send him off. He looked around trying to see another familiar face but none came. “Are you looking for…” Woohyun started and Kibum elbowed his boyfriend. “How insensitive of you Nam Woohyun! Of all people, you should be the one who understand your best friend the most.” Kibum said and Woohyun apologized. The intercom buzzed and announced his boarding. “Well that’s my flight. Take care guys.”  Sunggyu waved then left.

 

 

---

 

“You’re what?!” Woohyun jumped for joy as Sunggyu informed him of an upcoming visit to Korea “Yes Namu, I’ll be having a project for the upcoming Japan-Korea collaboration project. It’ll be huge Namu!” Sunggyu informed his best friend and Woohyun was so overjoyed that he was crying. “I miss you so much hyung!” Woohyun blurted out and Sunggyu chuckled before replying. “I miss you too Namu.”

 

Sunggyu looked at the building in front of him and smiled, three years had already passed but the place was still the same. He then led a group of Japanese into the building and waited in one of the meeting rooms for the Korean representatives. The door opened a little later and revealed familiar faces.

 

“Sunggyu Hyung!” Woohyun instantly ran towards the missed friend and hugged him tightly. “Namu, we can do this later, let’s start the meeting first shall we?” Sunggyu said and the grease ball nodded. Joining them was Kibum, Donghyun, Jaesi and his ex-boss Onew. “It’s an honor to be chosen for this collaboration.” Onew started and Sunggyu was surprised to hear his fluent Nihonggo. “We are very pleased to work with you; I know that Sunggyu would be very comfortable working with his trusted colleagues.”  Mr. Takahashi said, Sunggyu nodded, avoiding looking at Onew.

 

The two groups continued their meeting at a restaurant and the Japanese team liked them so much. They then excused themselves to rest, leaving Sunggyu to catch up with his friends.

 

“Hey Gyu, Sherlock was a hit in Japan. How was it to work with Japan’s asset?” Donghyun asked and Sunggyu smiled. “It was really surreal; MatsuJun is so comical off cam but a serious actor on cam. Arashi is really a powerful force in the Japanese Show business.” Sunggyu remarked and everyone nodded. “Well what about you guys?” Sunggyu asked and Woohyun chirped. “Trapped is a success hyung! It actually catapulted Amber and Kevin’s status in the Kpop scene. And I think FujiTV is working out the licensing to make a Japanese adaptation.” Woohyun excitedly said and Sunggyu smiled widely and raised his glass. “Congratulations!”

 

The next day, Sunggyu found himself seated inside Onew’s office and it felt a bit suffocating. Onew turned to him and smiled. “How’s it going Sunggyu-ssi?” Onew asked and he replied with the usual cliché. Then a person entered and Onew introduced him. “Kim Sunggyu, I want you to meet Kim Myungsoo, our seasoned camera man and photographer. Myungsoo-ssi, Sunggyu-ssi, seasoned writer of FujiTV.” The two shook hands and exchanged smiles. “Myungsoo will be our main camera man for ‘Destiny’ This TV movie would need experts from both sides and Myungsoo is a prodigy.” Onew said which made Myungsoo blush. “And he’s such a killer, a hot looking guy who always gets the girls and guys.” Onew added and Myungsoo was as red as a tomato. “Onew hyung! I am already dating you know. So please stop pairing me up!” Myungsoo said in an outburst, the two laughed and he apologized. “I’m sorry Myung, I love the expression on your face when I tease you!” Onew said and Myungsoo pouted. “I guess I’ll see you in the story con next week. See yah!” Myungsoo said then left. “Such a nice kid.” Onew commented and Sunggyu nodded.

 

“Is Destiny your idea Sunggyu?” Onew asked and Sunggyu nodded. “It’s a story that has been bugging me for a while so I just had to write it down. My supervisor read it and thought that it was worth a try.” Sunggyu said and Onew smiled placidly. “I’m sure your boss wasn’t a jerk like me.” Onew muttered softly and Sunggyu didn’t catch it. ‘I’m sorry, I didn’t catch it?” Sunggyu said and Onew shook his head. “It’s nothing.”

 

“Well I still need to unpack my stuff so I’ll go on ahead.” Sunggyu said and Onew agreed. “Take care Sunggyu-ssi” Onew smiled then turned to his computer.

 

Sunggyu was happy to be back in his old apartment, even though it’ll only be a short visit; he had informed his Japanese team that he’ll be staying in his old apartment for the short visit.  He ped his bag and took out the clothes. He then opened the drawer and his eyes widened, the box was still there. He placed the clothes in the drawer then took out the box and decided to open it, it’s been three years so he had moved on.

 

He gingerly unwrapped the box and was surprised when he opened it; an expensive Omega Kinetic watch was sparkling in the light. The clock was frozen in time, and as he took it in his hands, the hand suddenly moved, He was surprised but he smiled nonetheless, it was a watch he had always wanted. As he was about to wear it, a note fell from the box and Sunggyu read it.

 

I’ll be waiting by the Han River tonight. I have something important to say to you.

 

Sunggyu’s eyes widened as he processed the note; Onew wanted to talk to him three years ago? He took out his keys, phone, wallet and a jacket and drove to the Han River. He searched the place and saw him by his car and gazing out into the night sky. Sunggyu panted as he slowly approached the man.

 

“You wanted to talk to me?” Sunggyu asked which brought Onew back to reality. “Oh Sunggyu, I didn’t expect to see you here.” Onew said with a placid smile. Sunggyu then handed him the note and looked at him questioningly. Onew read it and smiled. “It’s not important anymore. Time had passed and the things that I’ll say will be meaningless now.” Onew said then looked back into the starry sky. “I only opened the gift just now.” Sunggyu said as he stood next to Onew and stared at the twinkling stars. “It can’t be helped.” Onew replied.

 

“Stop being a jerk Onew. If you have something to say, just say it!” Sunggyu shouted as he lost his temper and Onew was stunned. He looked down on his feet then walked away. “It won’t mean anything now Sunggyu.” Onew said while he walked away. Sunggyu then grabbed him by the wrist. “Say it Onew.” Sunggyu demanded but Onew shook his head. “Just say it Onew God damn it!” Sunggyu cursed and Onew sighed. “Would it matter if I say I love you? Would it change the fact that you’ve already denied me of the chance to say it? It’s not important now Sunggyu.” Onew said, and Sunggyu let his hand go, too shocked at the words that escaped from Onew’s mouth.

 

“You love me?” Sunggyu asked and Onew just shook his head. “This is nonsense, just forget about it.” Onew said but Sunggyu back hugged him. Onew was stunned and he heard sobs from behind him. He then looked down on Sunggyu’s wrist and found his gift, a kinetic watch that will forever work with just the movement of the hands. Onew ran his finger on the watch and held Sunggyu’s hand as his own tears poured. “Sunggyu, I love you.” Onew said and he can feel Sunggyu nod.

 

“Why didn’t you stop me Onew?” Sunggyu asked after they calmed down and got over the tears. Onew was now back hugging Sunggyu, holding him close to him as he rested his head on his lover’s shoulder. Their watches ticked in sync.  ‘I had two reasons. Professionally, I wanted you to achieve greater heights and that FujiTV can make you a better writer. Personally, I wanted to see you successful.” Onew answered and Sunggyu smiled. “Why didn’t you send me off?” Sunggyu asked and Onew sighed. He then kissed Sunggyu on his cheek then answered. “I was waiting for you that night and thought of confessing to you. But you didn’t come so I guess you hated me for being a jerk. I stayed here until morning, that’s how hopeful I was but I was crying most of the time. I did drive to the airport and I saw you with Woohyun and Kibum. But I didn’t show myself, I was a mess and I thought its better that you hated me.” Sunggyu nodded upon hearing the response. “But you are such a jerk Onew.” Sunggyu muttered and Onew nodded, tightening the grip on Sunggyu’s waist. “I just wanted to get close to you, to work with you without suspicions. It’s really hard to hurt you but I thought that if you hated me well enough, you’ll take the job offer. Like I said, I wanted you to succeed.” Onew sighed and he felt a tear fell on his hand. “Are you crying Sunggyu?” Onew asked and Sunggyu shook his head.  Onew then turned to face him and kissed Sunggyu. Sunggyu kissed back and melted, he was so overwhelmed with emotions. “I love you Onew, and it hurts that you had to be a jerk.” Sunggyu muttered through the tears and Onew hugged him then placidly smiled. “I love you Sunggyu.”

 

 

And so Sunggyu had fulfilled his two wishes in just one night: A high paying job and a partner for life.

He had his romantic confession under the starry sky and was relieved that his jerk of an ex boss was the one who confessed to him.

 

They did ‘Destiny’ as planned, Sunggyu’s last project for FujiTV. He then  returned to Korea for good and worked with Onew on many hit dramas including the ground breaking Lucifer’s Paradise and another TV movie ’60 seconds’.

 

 

“you’re still a jerk Onew!” Sunggyu uttered as they walked hand in hand, their kinetic watches continued ticking. “But you love this jerk right?” Onew asked and Sunggyu smiled, turning his small eyes into thin crescents.  “yah, because you’re my jerk of a boyfriend.” Sunggyu answered and earned a kiss from Onew.

 

And as the watches on their hand ticked, they knew that they will always be in sync with each other; even though one of them is a jerk.

 

 

 

a/n: Oh well crappy ending. I noticed that I actually exceeded 6,00 words on this one-shot.. aigoo, sometimes I still can’t believe myself writing this long..

Anyway, the story was supposed to be angsty but it became fluff. Original title would be Quartz and would center on the Kinetic watch but hey, I can write that storyline for other pair I guess.