My boss

Jerk

Kim Sunggyu only wanted two things in his life right now: A high paying but fulfilling job and a partner in life.


To have someone to hold and love had been the ideal romantic scene that played in Sunggyu’s head; where he and his lover would gaze out into the night sky and confess their love for each other. He’s not very picky with gender but he was very picky with personality. You can call him bi-ual though for the most part, he had dated girls more than boys; he was perfectly straight before he met his junior and best friend Woohyun. He had to admit to himself that the euphoria of kissing men wasn’t at all bad after his first kiss at a party Woohyun had brought him but at the end of the day, he still longed for the romantic confession by the night sky; he’s not a for crying out loud.  And so he still longs for that one special person whose heart will beat at the same time as his, like a well coordinated marching band, or the synchronized clocks across town.

 

To be able to prove his worth in the industry, Sunggyu had fought hard for his place. He was casted as a writer for a certain broadcasting company and oh boy, did he nail the part perfectly. He became one of the most sought after drama playwrights and he was working with top writers in his company; sure he had a high paying job and oh so fulfilling. And he’s happy for most of the part, ever since the success of the top rated Drama “Nothing’s over”, he was consistently praised and promoted. Yet there was a hindrance to his success, a jerk for a boss.

 

“Congratulations hyung” Sunggyu heard and he turned to see a grinning Woohyun. “Oh Namu, Thanks!” He replied and the younger placed both hands in front of him, Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. “You want something Namu?” Sunggyu asked and the younger nodded like a puppy. “Oh, a treat?” Sunggyu asked and the puppy, oh I mean Woohyun nodded and grinned wider. “But I always treat you out! Why don’t you treat me sometimes?” Sunggyu whined as Woohyun jumped for joy. “I will hyung, but not today!” Woohyun exclaimed as he dragged the older out of the building and into a restaurant.

 

“So Hyung, I heard that ‘Man in Love’ reached super high ratings, beating Baker King Kim Tak Gu’s record.” Woohyun remarked as he chewed on the bulgogi. ”Hmm it seems so but I’m not going to slack off just because it’s getting good views. We still need to work hard to sustain it.” Sunggyu replied and Woohyun patted the older’s shoulder. “Hyung, you should receive a monument after this! You are so dedicated!” Woohyun commented and Sunggyu shrugged his shoulders but smiled nonetheless. “But you told me that your boss is like Heedictator?” Woohyun suddenly asked and all the happiness in Sunggyu’s face vanished.

“You dare bring up the topic Namu?” Sunggyu replied and Woohyun swallowed really hard. “I’m sorry.” Woohyun muttered and Sunggyu sighed loudly. “He’s just a pain in the ! I mean, he nags me like I’m not doing my job and points out every mistake, even the tiniest ones. But he never does that my seniors or even juniors. I think he just targets me all the time and I hate it.” Sunggyu relayed and Woohyun nodded. “It seems that Onew-ssi may hate you hyung.” Woohyun remarked and earned a death glare. “I’m sorry hyung, but that’s the most logical answer to your question. Unless you could say that he’s using a reverse psychology ‘the more you hate, the more you love’ which can work in a sappy teen flick” Woohyun commented and Sunggyu sighed loudly. “I prefer that he just plainly hated me thank you.” Sunggyu said and drank soju.

 

They were having a great time, even though Woohyun was just taking advantage of Sunggyu’s performance bonus, when two persons approached them. “Mind if we join you?” The two looked up and the beef on Woohyun’s chopsticks slid off as he stared at the two. “Oh Kibum Sunbaenim, Onew sunbaenim. “ Woohyun immediately stood and bowed at the two. Sunggyu did it as well; oh how he hated bowing to that jerk of a boss. Kibum chuckled as he took a seat next to Woohyun, Onew sat beside Sunggyu. “It’s Sunggyu hyung’s treat.” Woohyun said to minimize the awkwardness. “Oh yeah, Man in Love is a phenomenon! We’re not interrupting you both are we?” Woohyun shook his head vigorously and Kibum chuckled. “Woohyun you’re too cute!” Kibum commented and Woohyun smiled greasily.

 

“Key, stop flirting with your subordinate, office romances do not work.” Onew commented as he took the menu from the waiter and flipped through it. “You are such a party pooper Onew.” Kibum pouted then took the menu from the waiter and looked at it.  They ordered additional food and Kibum turned all aegyo on Woohyun, the grease ball entertaining his flirting boss. Sunggyu looked a bit disgusted at the two and Onew rolled his eyes. “You two, are you dating or what?” Onew suddenly asked and the three looked at him in surprise. “We are not yet dating, more on flirting if you can call that a legal term for the thing we are currently doing.”  Kibum answered and Woohyun blushed. “Stop playing Kibum, you got Woohyun wrapped around your fingers.” Onew said straight to the point and Woohyun’s face was flushed. “Excuse me but, isn’t this talk a bit sensitive? I mean you two are talking about Woohyun who you both know are here with you and listening to what you two are saying about him.” Sunggyu said, trying to be polite with his words.

 

“You’re absolutely right Sunggyu. Nam Woohyun, let’s date.” Kibum then said which left the grease ball speechless. “You want or not?” Kibum asked and Woohyun absently nodded, making the diva smile widely as he hooked his arm with Woohyun. “Happy now Tofu?” Kibum asked and Onew sighed loudly. “I’m not even sure why you became my friend Key.” Onew remarked and Key showed his tongue out before smiling at Sunggyu.

 

They ate in awkward silence, as the two lovebirds were pretty PDA much and both Sunggyu and Onew were disgusted with it. Sunggyu was about to pay the bill but Onew took it from him. “We barged into your party, and you had to witness the most disgusting thing ever so I’ll take care of this.” Onew said with a smile then paid the bill. Sunggyu bowed at the boss. The four went out of the restaurant and Kibum was not letting Woohyun go. “You are coming with me Woohyun, I want to go to the park and take selca! It’s our first date!” Kibum pouted and did all sort of aegyo as he pulled the boyfriend towards the direction of the park. “Sunggyu hyung, go on ahead, I’ll meet you at the apartment!” Woohyun shouted then happily skipped along with his boyfriend. Sunggyu sighed and then walked towards the direction of the bus stop.

“I’ll drive you home Sunggyu.” Sunggyu looked at the person who spoke and saw Onew leaning on his car. “I’m okay Onew-ssi.” Sunggyu stuttered and Onew smiled. “It’s the least I can do to make up for that horrid view during dinner. I’m sure that you’re traumatized with it.” Onew said and Sunggyu shook his head. “It’s Woohyun, I’m bound to witness something like that when he tags a date along. Although I was caught off guard as it’s his boss.” Sunggyu uttered, earning a nod from Onew. “Still, we crashed your party.” Onew said and Sunggyu waved his hands. “You already paid for dinner.” Sunggyu then bowed and walked away from the place as fast as he could.

 

He didn’t know why but something’s absolutely wrong with his dictator for a boss; shouldn’t he be all bossy? He shrugged off the thoughts as he made his way to his apartment and called it a night.

 

“Meeting in 10 minutes.” Ms. Hong announced before entering Onew’s office to tell him the agenda.

“Everything’s set Sir Lee.” Ms. Hong said and Onew burst out laughing. “You’re too formal Jaesi.” Onew said and the girl sighed. “yah Lee Jinki!” She shouted but smiled after. “Of course I should call you Mr. Lee because you are my boss.” Jaesi said and Onew frowned. “But I don’t want my friends to call me boss.” Onew said and Jaesi smiled at him. “It’s your fault that you showed your best foot forward!” Jaesi then left him to check the presentation for the meeting.

 

“That will not do! The concept here is a man being in love and right now we are on the right track as the Daejun finds himself doing the silliest thing for Minji. I want a more complicated story!” Onew shouted in the meeting room as each writer showed their plots for the succeeding episodes of the TV drama. “If we add in Daejun fighting his phobia for Minji? “ Sunggyu suggested and Onew looked at him with piercing eyes. “What kind of Phobia Sunggyu-ssi?” Onew asked and Sunggyu racked his brain for a certain phobia. “Snakes? Heights? Enclosed spaces?” Sunggyu said and Onew’s eyes twitched. “Too common, I want a dramatic scene with this phobia thing. Let’s go with Sunggyu’s direction.” Onew then turned his direction towards the screen as the other characters were presented.

 

“How crappy can this girl be? Does she have to be all lame and damsel in distress like a typical protagonist? I want her character beefed up.” Onew criticized and the member presenting it was almost in tears. “Why don’t we make her a bit tomboyish and that she’s one of the guys. Then the guy would be the girly type and..” Sunggyu started and Onew looked at him, again with those piercing eyes. “You’re saying that they will both have a change of heart?”  Onew asked and Sunggyu was dumbfounded for a moment, the way Onew looked at him was something he still can’t get over after years of working with him. “They don’t necessarily have to change in terms of their ual orientation, she can be a lesbian, he can be gay; but they can date, they are still a guy and a girl although ‘trapped’..” Sunggyu was just saying when Onew finished for him.

 

Trapped... I like that. That story would be interesting as it is alone. Trapped. Write about it Sunggyu, We’ll suggest that as a new teen drama for summer. Moving on, I want this girl beefed up okay?” Onew said and the team members looked at Sunggyu and smiled at him. “Sunggyu sure has the best ideas.” One said and Sunggyu blushed at the compliment. “I think that’s all.” Onew said then left the room. Everyone sighed including Sunggyu. “Aigoo Kim Sunggyu, Onew-ssi seems to like your ideas the most. We’re getting jealous.” Donghyun uttered. “Donghyun-ssi, we both know he only likes to criticize my works.” Sunggyu replied and Donghyun shook his head. “Nope, if I were him, I would’ve dated you. But sadly I’m taken!” Donghyun remarked and Sunggyu burst out laughing.

 

 

“Sunggyu-ssi, Mr. Lee wants you in his office.” Jaesi called for him and he took his notebook and pen then knocked at the door. He entered and Onew gestured for him to sit. “About ‘Trapped’ it’s a storyline that was bugging me for so long but I don’t know how to start it. I’m quite happy that you suggested it. We’re going in the same line of thinking Sunggyu-ssi.” Onew started and Sunggyu seemed to be dumbfounded. “Sunggyu-ssi” Onew called out and this made Sunggyu snap out of his trance. “Yes, Onew-ssi” Sunggyu replied. “I want to personally work with you in this project, not just supervise you.” Onew proposed and Sunggyu didn’t know how to react. “It’s a risky storyline sir.” Sunggyu finally uttered and Onew smiled wider. “You also said that with ‘Be Mine’ and ‘Dream Girl’ but it catapulted our team to the top. Nothing’s too risky here Sunggyu, any storyline will pass or fail, but the true failure is giving up.” Onew said and Sunggyu nodded. “First draft by next week, I want the general storyline and characters. Change the name Kenchan and add a punk name for the lead girl.” Onew instructed and Sunggyu nodded before realizing that he still has a scene to finish for Man in Love. “but sir, I still need to finish the scene for Man In love.” Sunggyu said and Onew waved a finger in front of him. “Donghyun can finish that. I would want to work on Trapped and finalize this before that crappy teen drama ends and the top management choose to replace it with another crappy drama.” Onew said then let Sunggyu out of his office.  Sunggyu scratched the back of his head as he asked Donghyun to go in.

 

“That jerk!” Sunggyu shouted at the friend as they reached their apartment. “I don’t see any jerkiness in Onew-ssi’s actions.” Woohyun confessed and Sunggyu gave him a death glare. “I’m not taking sides hyung but seriously, him working with you on a new project isn’t bad, and perhaps this will be the start of a good partnership for the two of you.” Woohyun added and Sunggyu let out a frustrated groan.

 

“How can I give him a draft by next week? I don’t even think that the story was good enough for a one-shot!” Sunggyu shouted even louder and Woohyun just sighed as he cleansed his face and applied a face pack. “Why are you even doing that, you are just behind the camera Woohyun.” Sunggyu inquired as he sat beside the friend. “It doesn’t matter if I appear on camera or not, I just like taking care of my skin.” Woohyun said and Sunggyu sighed. “Here, put it on and reduce the wrinkles on your face.” Woohyun handed him a face mask and Sunggyu raised an eye brow. “Look hyung, you wished for two things right? A job and a partner.  How can you get a partner with that grumpy grandpa look of yours?” Woohyun said and Sunggyu whined in defeat. He took the pack and applied it on his face.

 

“So?” Sunggyu looked up as Onew tapped on his monitor. Sunggyu frowned and took a folder out of his drawer and handed it to Onew. Onew gladly took it and left him to edit the next scene for Man in Love. A few minutes after, he was called in for a discussion.

 

“I expected more from you Kim Sunggyu.” Onew said as he read the storyline. “I read better plots from fangirls.” Onew added and Sunggyu was taken aback. “What?!” Sunggyu reacted violently. “Look Sunggyu-ssi, you got the basic storyline down and you nailed it; but the characters aren’t strong enough to make this work. What it lacks are strong characters and conflicts. I find that there isn’t enough substance to make this work. There’s no play of emotions.” Onew said and Sunggyu was holding up his anger. “I just didn’t feel like this story will work. It doesn’t inspire me at all.” Sunggyu answered. “That’s not the answer I am looking for. You seriously had the inspiration Sunggyu. When you suggested this, I knew your mind is thinking of a scenario already. I want to see that. Revise and give me the draft by Friday.” Onew dismissed him and Sunggyu went out of the office frustrated. “Hey Gyu!” Donghyun greeted him and he received a scolding. “Don’t hey me!” Donghyun was surprised but laughed it off; maybe the stress had gotten the best of Gyu.

 

“That freaking jerk! I just wanna punch him in the face! If he wanted that story badly then why doesn’t he write it himself?” Sunggyu shouted then downed a glass of soju. “Hyung, your boss is somewhat a jerk I understand.” Woohyun joined him. “But it’s not right to call him a jerk.” The two looked at the person who spoke and they found Kibum who was serious. He took a seat next to Woohyun and smiled at the two before ordering more soju. He downed two straight shots before talking. “You do know that I love you Woohyun but Onew is still my best friend.” Kibum said and Sunggyu’s eyes widened. “You love that grease ball?” Sunggyu asked and Woohyun winced in imaginary pain. “ouch Gyu-hyung.” Woohyun uttered. “Yes I do love that Grease ball because he loves this Diva. The feeling’s mutual and when we’re together it seems that nothing is impossible. And yes I’m exaggerating for the comedy and variety.” Kibum answered and Sunggyu gagged at him. “Seriously, your team should get a break from doing variety and start working on serious drama.” Sunggyu said and the two smiled.

 

“We love each other Gyu-hyung, believe me. I’ve never been in a long relationship before, this is really something.” Woohyun muttered, half drunk and half sober.  “Okay I believe you. So Kibum-ssi, are you going to tell Onew-ssi?” Sunggyu asked and he shook his head. “That’s your problem, I don’t think we should feed fuel to the fire. But Sunggyu, I hope you can see through that bossy jerk and see Onew’s real intentions for you as his manager.” Kibum said then raised a glass.