Two Worlds Collide

The Light in the Forest

"You have something that you can do, something that only you can do. Nobody is forcing you. Think for yourself… and make that decision by yourself. Think about what you have to do now. Think about no longer having any regrets."

Finally getting to their destination, Yesung carefully tried prying his hand off the younger man after Kangin settled both of them down. He, gratefully, gave the right directions to the young man's house to Kangin and all three of them managed to get there before sunset.

Situated at such close proximity to the house, Kangin, who morphed back to his human form, quickly began to usher Yesung, "We should be going now Yesung."

"I know, but he won't let go off my hands," Yesung tried retracting his hand but the young man's hand just clasped tighter around it, as if he's afraid he'll let go.

"Why are you holding his hand in the first place?" Kangin inquired. He was almost not surprised when he saw Yesung's cheeks tinted like the red flowers Sungmin and Ryeowook loved harvesting. Seeing how the older lovingly stared at the younger, Kangin already guessed that Yesung adored the boy. And witnessing such act as holding hands, which he saw human couples do, only heightened his suspicion.

"I thought he looked hurt and in pain..." Yesung mumbled as he hid from Kangin's observing eyes, "And I felt sad when I saw that, so I tried comforting him..."

"And that's what you call comforting?" Kangin amusedly asked, watching Yesung move closer to the young man.

Caressing the pale face of the other, Yesung was scared because it felt like touching winter glass, with his small hands, he hoped the younger will feel better.

"Don't worry." He whispered into the boy's ear, "You'll be alright..." The grasp around the boy’s hand tightened again before letting go. He happily patted the other's head this time.

"Yesung! Hurry!" Kangin panicked as he saw humans with lights coming out of the house.

Yesung looked up and saw the humans that the boy was with earlier. He stood up and let go of the other's hand, feeling something slip off his hand. Was it really something or the warm feeling while he held the hand of the young man? But before he can check it, Kangin hurriedly transformed to his bear form and carried the surprised Yesung away back into the forest.

While Kangin ran farther from the house, Yesung watched as a human boy look around and shouted, "Kyuhyun! Where are you? Kyuhyun!"

Guessing that the young unconscious man's name was Kyuhyun, he smiled and let the name sweetly drip out of his mouth, "Kyuhyun..."

"Did you say something?" Kangin asked as he continued running away.

"Nope," Yesung smiled sweetly. "Can you stop for a second Kangin?"

Kangin obediently stopped and let Yesung down, watching with confusion as he was trying to guess what the older was planning.

Closing his eyes and placing a hand over his chest, Yesung stood firmly on the ground and started whispering to the wind.

Fireflies started flying around them and Kangin figured that Yesung was the one who summoned them.

"Hi my friends," Yesung slowly opened his eyes and saw lights from the fireflies surrounding them like a sparkling capsule, "Will you help me? Can you light his way to the unconscious boy there?" Yesung asked as he pointed from the searching man to the young man they left.

Yesung smiled and nodded at their direction. The fireflies happily flew around them before flying off to do Yesung's favor.

Yesung looked at Kangin, still smiling, "Shall we go now?" He transformed to a deer and waited for Kangin to respond. Kangin nodded dumbly and they both ran back to the forest.

<> 

Everything was pitch black to Kyuhyun. He couldn’t see anything. However, he could hear a gentle voice calling to him. It was soft and soothing like a sweet melody playing in his ears. Blindly, Kyuhyun reached out for this voice, wanting to listen to it more and figure out what beautiful creature had been making it. But, soon the voice had faded as light began to reappear in his world. Slowly opening his eyes, Kyuhyun saw the worried faced of Hyukjae above him.

Seeing that Kyuhyun was awake now, Hyukjae sighed in relief as he helped his cousin back on his feet. Immediately after, Hyukjae pulled Kyuhyun into a tight hug and buried his head into the other’s neck. His arms were quivering as Hyukjae mumbled, “You had me so worried Kyu… you had everyone else so worried.”

Kyuhyun looked down and hesitantly wrapped his arms around the other. “I… I’m sorry.” But Hyukjae just shook his head as he slowly looked up at the other.

“I would have done the same thing if I were you Kyuhyun… so there’s not need to apologize. But let’s just go back home, okay?” Nodding, the two of them started to head back. However, something slipped down Kyuhyun’s shirt. Blinking, Kyuhyun halted for a second.

“Hold on a minute Hyukjae…” Kyuhyun trailed off as he walked towards the thing that had fallen off of him. Nodding, Hyukjae waited for him where he was.

“Alright, but we should hurry after this Kyu… We can’t keep you parents worrying like this.” A nod was Kyuhyun’s response as he slowly crouched down.

 In the dirt, there laid a beautiful looking pair of golden bells as it glistened in the morning sun. Gently, Kyuhyun bent down to pick them up as he examined them carefully. Being held by a single strand of string, he was captured by the beauty of the bells. Where did they come from? Or more likely… who did they come from?

Only after a few seconds of thinking, it hit Kyuhyun. The bells most likely came from that voice he heard when he was still unconscious. How else could the bells have been here? Gripping the bells tightly he let out a gentle smile. That voice… maybe he could hear again after all.

Walking back over to Hyukjae, they soon left the expanse and mystery of the forest as Kyuhyun looked one last time over his shoulder towards the myriad of trees and plants.

Curiosity filled Kyuhyun as he went inside his house to be reunited with his family. And in his mind, he was determined to discover the owner of these bells.

<> 

Back in the heart of the forest, Yesung and Kangin morphed back from their animal forms. Kangin laid on the grass as he heaved a sigh of relief. “Okay. We’re not doing that ever again Yesung, you hear me? I rather not let Leeteuk banter me with his long lectures.”

Dusting himself, Yesung sighed. “But Kangin…” He started. In his eyes could be seen the obvious urge to see that human boy again. However as Kangin was about reprimand the other for thinking about that human again, a stern voice entered.

“Kangin, my lectures are not that bad.” Leeteuk glared at the other spirit as he walked towards the two. Sighing, he shook his head as Leeteuk turned towards Yesung. “Yesung, there are some animals that need you and your abilities.”

Without a word, Yesung nodded as ventured off back into the forest. Reaching into his pocket, he was going to draw out his mourning bells when he felt that there was nothing in his pocket. His eyes widened as Yesung began to search throughout all of his clothing and even his satchel.

Nothing.

His bells were gone. Scared out of his wits, Yesung tried to think and remember where he could have left it. Pacing around in circles, he tried his best to remember. After a few minutes, Yesung froze as he could recall where he last had them.

It was with that human boy.