chapter 2

My Girlfriend's a Man

 

[not proofread]

I stood leading against the wall near Sungjae's classroom, he said he needed to talk to our teacher about a test he really wanted to re-take next week so I patiently waited for him outside of the classroom. Hundreds of eager students were bolted out their classroom and out the door to their homes as the final bell rang.

Sungjae was taking awhile but it wasn't like I minded, actually, I even kind of aprecciate it. No way was I hurring to run back to my "home". It was un naturally dead quiet in there and since I was the only one who stayed there besided Ilhoon occiationally sleep over every once in a while, it made the house even more lonely to stay in.

Which is why 97% of the time, I was either at school or at Sungjae's house until night fell and I had to go back and sleep. Today was no exception, going straight to Sungjae's house to finish some homework together and play video games was my plan as soon as Sungjae was done talking to our English teacher; you can imagine my scores in that class, top of class! Then again, having been raised half of my life in America certainly helped on that part.

But I have a feeling that today might not be the best of days to go to Sungjae's house. It's not he doesn't want me to go, or that his parents are annoyed of me, heck that love me. Today just simply isn't my day. Not that now that I know my Noona is probably packing up her bags at this very moment and in few more days, she'll be on a plane to Korea. 

And once she's here, she's going to meet my "girlfriend".

Speaking of girlfriends, here comes mine, walking out of the classroom door besides me with a relieved face, school bag and books in hand.

"Hey Sungjae."

Yeah.. Sungjae's my girlfriend.

 

It was so so... awkward.

Just standing there, my body half lingering inside the house and oustide. The door was still wide open, cool autumn breezes blowing pass into the house. The sun was just about setting behind Sungjae; who stood silently in front of me, his expression blank but eyes boring into mines.

I didn't know what to do, he still hadn't answered my question, but simply just stared at me. Not a "dude-are-you-mental" stare or a "what-the-fuc-" stare, it was just a stare. 

I was starting to get uncomfortable right then, he was either gonna answer my question or continue staring at me, which at the moment he was doing both. I might as well just take it all back and play it off as a joke. How the hell, or even how could he even agree to do such a thing. Why would I even expect for just a mere second that he would, it was hopeless, I'll just call up my mom and tell that her son does not in fact have a girlfri-

"Sure."

"S-sure?" I stared at him, like really stare at him this time; my eyes wide and my jaw nearly smacking down on the group beneath me. Did he just agree?!??

"Sure. Hello don't you understand Korean? That means yes." he said this in a not so joking way but the gleams in his eyes told me that was indeed teasing me.

"Yes.. you're.. you're yes?" 

"Yes."

".. Yes as in yes or no yes?"

"Yes as in yes."

"... yes?"

"Oh for christ's sake YES!" 

He was smiling at me, his usual dorkess laugh he'll give off every once in a while that literally speaks out "you're-so-stupid-Peniel". I should be happy that he agreed to do me this one (huge) favor. But the surprise of it slowed down my regular process of thinking and I was having a hard time grasping what he just said.. Did he just say yes?

"Sungjae.. you kow that you said yes right?"

"Yep."

"And did you clearly hear the favor I asked of you?"

"Yep."

"And... and you agree to it? You'll actually do it?"

"Yep."

"Or you serious?"

"Yep."

"You sure."

"Yep."

"... Can you say something else besides 'yep'?"

"Yep."

"Sungjae!"

"Oh come one!" he chuckled loudly, his bright front teeth shiny perfectly into the orbits of vision, eyes squinted as if he was suddently having trouble seeing my face, like a flattened upside downs U. "You're so stupid Peniel, yes, there you happy. I'll be your girlfriend okay."

 

As soon as Sungjae got out of the classroom, turned and saw me, an instant smile came to his lips.

"Hey." 

"Hey." Sungjae came walking towards me, that smile still there.

"Are you coming to my house today?"

"Ye-" I paused, my tongue holding onto that last "s" in yes. For the very first time ever since he's asked me this question every single day since elementary school, my immediate answer would be yes. But... that "s" was still stuck.

He seemed to have noticed it cause his smile flatted abit, that glint in his eyes fadding. He looked unsure, scared almost. His mouth opened and closed, then opened again, as if he was going to say something but stopped.

Whatever he was going to say didn't come, instead, he just looked at me uneasily.

"Yes. Um.. sure let's go to your house." my voice was uneven, robotic and stange sounding. As if someone was pressing down keys into my brain and it came spitting out from my mouth but then drowned with water to dilute it.

Sungjae's face brightened once more, his eyes disappearing behind his flatted U shaped eye smile. 

We began to exit the school, side by side like a cliche couple walking straight out of a chick flinch with the theme "friends is all you need" as the header.

I swung my right arm around his shoulder (with much difficulty considering that he's like half a head taller than me), "Wanna stop by TeaTay with me before we head to your place?" [A/N: how the heck do I even come up with these made up cafes? -.-]

"Yeah!"

 

It's not everyday that you're best friend (who's a guy) would freely agree to be your girlfriend, well, "fake girlfriend". Sungjae just happened to be one of those "generious" friends.

We sat side by side in a small booth in the nearest back corner of the cafe, a different flavor of bubble tea in our hands. Sungjae had peach strawberry while I got mango.

I know what you're thinking, why is Sungjae sitting next to me when there's a perfectly good seat at the other side. Well, I don't know.

"You know you can sit on that side you know?" I asked him, bumping him with my left elbow on his arm.

"Yeah but then I'll have to lean allll the way over just to hear you talk to your umma about "the one"." he smirked, the last half of sentence sounding like a magical spell as he strenched out the word "all" abit too far.

"For the record, there isn't gonna be a "the one" talk with my mom today. I told her that I'm too busy with school so I'll just call her as soon Jennifier comes." I ignored his famous "you're-so-stupid-Peniel" faces he was shooting at me, slurping the last drop of mango flavored bubble tea from my straw, I reached out for his (which he thankfully didn't object to considering that I was the one who bought him it in the first place) and drank some of it, not bothering to switch straws and just used the one who previously drank out from.

"Oh course not." he rolled his eyes at me, which in the process made him looked like he was posessed instead of pissed off. I laughed at the expression and continued to drink the rest of his bubble tea.

"We should go to the mall." Sungjae pipped up in a cheerful smile, turning his whole body sideways just so he could look at me as we spoke.

"The mall?" 

"Yes, the mall. The place where they sell over expensive knock off brand stuff, oily cheap food and horrible parking spaces. Yes, the mall."

"Why would we go to the mall?"

"Why would we not, come on." before I could protect, Sungjae hopped out of the booth and grabbed me along with him as we flead through the door.

 

Since it was pretty late out; the sun already setting and stars dimmly shiny above our head, we decided to head to the 24 hours stip mall instead. The perfect tourist attraction for people first coming to Seoul. 

We weaved around from one shop to the next, not particurely buying anything or even really trying but just glancing around. It's been such a long time that I've been to the mall that I've almost forgotten how much fun it is to shop, or at least widnow shop.

Sungjae ran into a shop with cool urban outfits on the display window while I stayed back to quickly purchase us some soft drinks. 

When I got inside of the shop Sungjae disappeared to, I was.. well shocked.

The whole store was brightly lit, the whole store glowing a soft yellow color from the light blubs above. Everything was nicely and neatly hanged on rackes with signs on them such as "buy 1 get 1 FREE!" and "discount section" with a big red arrow pointing to a small portion of the store. 

There were desert sand colored wooden tables around the room with neatly folded jeans, shirts, and other articles of clothing. The brands of the colors was each different, some were brands from China, Londa, U.S., Japan, Australia and even Korea itself.

As I entered the shop, a little golden bell attached to the top of the door rang when I came inside. A young woman in her late 20s greeted to me from behind of a cash register where small women's accessories laid inside seperated mini looking baskets.

I looked around the shop, hoping to find Sungjae somewhere in here perphaps picking up a shirt and exaiming the price tag. But he was no where to be seen.

That wasn't what surprised me though.

What surprised was that this was an women's clothing shop.

... what would Sungjae be doing in here if they only had ladies clothes? And now that I think about it, even the title of the store screamed out "girls only". After all the store's nameed 예쁜 여자. Which literally translated to "Beautiful Girl".

I thought that maybe I must of stepped into the wrong store, that I mistaken this for the store Sungjae walked into. I must of been to distracted to notice when I was buying us soft drinks just a minute ago.

"Are you looking for the young man who came in her earlier?"

I turned around and saw the same women who greeted me before standing right behind me. She had long smooth looking lush dark brown hair that was tied into a loose low pony tail. Her fuzzy kit sweater hanging losely around her shoulders and plain jeans telling me that she was a kind women. She looked old enough to of had a kid.

But that wasn't the point.

I nodded towards her.

"He's in the changing room. Right there. Number 3." she pointed to a changing room area, a number 3 sign hanging on a bright pink door.

I thanked her and walked to the changing rooms, pushing away any unmeaning questions out of my head.

Why did Sungjae go into a girls store?

Why is Sungjae changing in a girls store?

What the in world am I doing right now?

Before I could knock on door, Sungjae imerged from the changing room with... with long dark brown curly hair?!

"Sungjae.."

"What?" he looked at me innocently, like he hadn't done anything wrong.

"Umm... why are you wearing a wig?" I asked this slowly and once again, roboticly, like my brain wasn't quite screwed into my head tightly enough and the words were all getting mushed up together. 

Sungjae cocked his head to the side a little, like you see in the comics when someone is comfused, and turned to the side where a mirror was hanging then turned back towards me. 

His face was faultless and.. well normal. Like he was just trying on a t-shirt and asking my opinon on it instead of standing right in front of me in a full blown girly dark borwn curly past shoulder length wig.

He looked at me for a few seconds then softy smiled at me, "Because I'm your girlfriend."

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you guys like where the story's going so far (even though this is just the 2nd chapter). Hope this chapter wasn't too short.

Please feel free to comment you thoughts, opinon, or if you have any suggestions!

thank you for reading~