chapter 1

My Girlfriend's a Man

 

[not proofread]

Peniel POV

I'm not sure how I ended up in this situation; sitting on a bench under a flickering light pole in an abandoned childrens park four blocks away from my house at 1 in the morning, actually no, I know exactually how I got here. 

Maybe it was when I watched him walk out of that church that night by himself in the gusting rain,

maybe it was when that girl showed up at the exact same cafe I was suppose to meet him that day,

maybe it was when I told him he couldn't keep that stay cat he found in this exact park not so long ago...

or maybe, it was when I told him I couldn't stand to see his face anymore because it brought me misery to my soul. Yeah, it was probably because of that that brought me here to this park.

But it didn't start this way.

It was actually quite happy.

 

"Dude what the heck are you doing Ilhoon, you're suppose to guard the flag!" I nagged the boy sitting next to me for about the fift time that day. He didn't seem to get the point of "guard and defence" was that you're suppose to GUARD.

"I got this." his grip on the controlled tightened as he stared intensely at the screen and snipe shooted four unlucky players on the roof. With one jump off the roof, he spun around in a 360 and took out his sword from his back and slashed at the last player guarding their team's flag.

Team A2048 victory!

I stared amazed at the screen in front of me, how the hell did this guy get the winning kill again?

"Well that was fun, can I come again tomorrow?" Ilhoon asked as he got up from the couch after turning off his controller and setting it on the coffee table in front of us.

"No." I mummbled, my voice was harsh but I couldn't care less at the moment, even if this was my cousin and I was technically his house I was staying at for the weekend, my pride was somewhat hurt from losing so many times at him at this stupid game. Yeah I'm taking it out the game too.

"Oh I gotta go now, mom should be home now. Are you coming there for dinner?" Ilhoon quickly asked but left before I could even nod my head.

Ilhoon's mom was my mom's brother's wife, so my cousin none less. I was currently staying at his father's house who's away with my dad in America for business purposes. His parents are divorced so he lives with his mother but for most of the time he jumps around between his mother's and father's house.

Both of my parents, along with my sister are back in America, leaving me here in Korea to "get back to my roots". It didn't really make any difference to me cause I've been here since I was 7 years old  so I guess my "roots" are fine.

Just after Ilhoon left, my phone vibrated in my shorts pocket. With a groan, I picked it up and faked a cherpish smile.

"Hey mom."

"Hi Son!" my mother's mixed Korea-English accent shouted from the other line, I could already imagine her smiling broadly as she spoke.

"How are you doing?" I asked, locking the door after Ilhoon left then went back to the living room and sat on the couch, turning on the TV to Running Man.

"Good good, cooking dumpling for Dad. What about you honey?" 

Pictures of my mom with her dark lush jet black hair tied into a loose pony tail with her bright pink bunny apron Jennifer (my older sister) had gifted her for mother's day 2 years ago. I let the memories of her sweet home cooking wash over me for a second before answering her.

"I'm good mom, Korea is the same here though the house feels much emptier without you all but also much more peaceful with noona's annoying nagging here." I added with a laugh, my mother's accent old mother-like laugh echoing along side me.

"I'll make sure to tell her that son.. oh and son," my mother's voice dramatically dialed down from her luagh, her brows probably knit together as she tested her words carefully in her head. I braced myself for the question(s) that was about to come up. "What a women son? You find one you like honey?"

Not this again, I forced myself to sound calm and collected when all I really wanted to do was scream out "No mom! no more set ups, no more blind dates, no more giving my number to you friend's daughters and telling them to give me a call. No more mom, no more."

"No mom... I haven't found a girl I like.."

"Oh well... that's okay son, the one will come." I could hear the hope in her voice but decided to ignore it, knowing that this hope will grow into another set up.

"What about that nice Korean girl I told you to see last week? The one with the cute cheeks and nice hands. Oh goodness what's her name.."

"Paula?" I continued my mother's sentence.

"Yes! Paula, that's her name. She sweet honey, her dad here in America too just like Appa. You don't like her?"

"Um.. No mom, I.. I didn't really like her."

"Oh.. that's okay." I could hear the visable disappointment in her voice, it almost made me want to take it all back and tell her that yes, creepy stalker Paula, the one who kept trying to get me go back to her place to "drink some coffee" was an absolutely amazng girl, almost.

After listening to silent breathing from the other end, I guess my mother finally ran out of girls for me to marry off to. Thank God.

"You sure son? If you don't like her.. you want a different girl? Maybe one that's more.. tall? Light skin? Big eyes? Full lips? Huh honey, anything you like?"

She made it sound as if I was choosing to buy my first car, and even then she didn't even question me like this when I was 16 getting my first (used) car.

"No mom.. I don't really want to meet anyone.." I said with a sigh.

"Okay honey I understand but just remember.. Korean women make good wife. Find yourself a good Korean wife okay son."

"Nae." I said automatically, already used to this type of talk.

"Okay bye honey, eat well and don't stay up too long playing game with Ilhoon!" with that happy note, she hung up.

I set my phone down next to me on the couch and closed my eyes slowly. These "girl talks" was starting to wear me down, every sense my mother went back to America, she seemed to have convinced herself that I will never find a good women for myself and was in need of some aid. 

It wasn't completely bad at first, it was actualy fun, going on dates and meeting new nice ladies but... lets just say there wasn't just one "creepy Paula" around in Seoul.

After about 5 other dates like those, enough was enough. Sadly I couldn't bring up the courage to tell this to my mom, she's a sweet lady and I guess I kind of understand where she's coming from. She only means the best for me; although it also caused some harm in the process.

My mind was drifting from the subject the longer I kept my eyes closed and I dozed off to sleep. But just as I was a mere second away from dream land, the door bell rang. My eyes flung open, wide.

"What do you want from me!" I half screamed at the person standing (sadly) innocently at front door after I ripped it open.

"Woah, just sending a message here, don't shoot the messager." my neighbor and best friend Sungjae stood there with his hands helf in front of him as if to protect him from my sleepy head. 

I stared at him for a moment before slamming in the door in his face but just as it was about to slam shut, his foot got in the way. He groaned in pain but slid his foot back, I opened back the door and gave him a frown which he returned with a smie.

"Your mom called, she said she tried to call you but you wouldn't wake up. She's about to call soon, in about a minu-"

RINGGGGGGGGGG***

"Hello?"

"Oh honey honey honey! I have great news!"

My frown deepened (if possible) and shot a glare at Sungjae; who was still smiling. "Mom I don't thin-"

"Oh honey she's sooooooooo beautiful! Tall, dark brown hair, full Korean blood, double eyelids, oh honey didn't you say you liked women with double eyelids? And guess what? No surgery! She's perrrrfect!" she was in such a rush of happiness from finding "the one" for me that I wasn't able to even say a word to her, and even if I did, it would be drowned by more clutter of "oh she's the one honey".

"She's abit older than you, but I don't think it's a problem. Only 3 years older. She goes to university and has her own apartment! Full job, great manners, her parents are bankers, and oh honey she's ev-"

"Mom I have a girlfriend!" 

I must of yelled this at her because almost as soon as those words left my mouth she yelled back, "Don't yell honey! What did you say?!"

"I.. IsaidIhaveagirlfriend!"

"Huh? Honey speak louder."

"I.." I was dumbfounded, why did I say that? Why? Why? Why?!!!!! I snuck a side glance at Sungjae who was still standing in front of me with a confused expression. 

He mouthed to me "crazy Paula"?

I shook my head and mouthed back "marry" and "the one". He quickely nodded back and head his tumbs out for good luck. After sending a light smile towards him, I turned my attention back to my mother.

"Mom I.. I have a girlfriend."

The line was silent, for a few moments I thought she was hung up on me but then she startled me with a yelping shriek.

"That's wonderful honey! Good good, girlfriend is good honey!"

"Than-thank you." I just saved myself, it was unbelieveble and I mentally cursed myself for not thinking of this sooner but so glad that I said it now.

"Perfect timing too honey, just for us to meet her!"

Wait what.

"We meet her right son? We meet your girlfriend?" my mother question seriously.

"Um.. no."

"No? Why no, why can't we meet her honey? Why can't we meet your girlfriend?"

"Um.."

"Honey!"

"Yes!.. yes you can meet her.. when you come here.. WAIT. You're coming here?" I asked worried.

"Yes. No. I don't come, Dad don't come. Only your noona come, she comes next weekend. She said she wants to come back to Korena and maybe stay. I was scared for her to leave us, we had to leave you and I wanted to keep her but.. it's okay. Your noona is smart lady, she can make decisions by herself."

"Oh.. so Jennifier will come and meet my girlfriend?"

"Yes honey."

"Oh.. Okay."

"Well I have to go now, dinner, bye!"

She hung up before I could say goodbye, but even if she didn't, I doubt I would of said bye back. My mind was.. frozen. Lying to my mother, telling her I had a girlfriend wasn't a problem, Jennifier coming was the problem.

She's my sister and of course I trust her to keep this secret from mom but the other part of me.. knew that she would rat me out even before she could see my "girlfriend". Heck mom would probably find out without anyone having to tell her anything, she had the sense of a hawk, keen.

I could back out now though, call my mother again and tell her it was all a lie but my pride simiply wouldn't allow it. What, tell her I actually don't have a girlfriend and have her send over more "creepy Paulas", no thank you.

Instead I looked up from my phone to Sungjae; who was still agian, standing at the front door, his eyes wandering around the yard for something intersting to look at.

"So." I started uneasily.

"You done with your "the one" talk with your umma?" Sungjae asked curiously at me.

"Yeah..."

"So how'd it go?"

"Well.."

I didn't know what to say, if I told him that I lied to my mother, told her I had a girlfriend just to get out more pity set up dates. He would laugh in my face, even I would laugh if the situation was reversed.

So I looked up at him, right in the eyes and a pericing lock held eye contact.

"We're friends right Sungjae?"

"Yeah, of course we are." he looked back at me.

"So you'd do anything for me right? Like if I asked for a favor, even if it was a ridiculously stupid favor, you'ld still do it right?" I eyed him suspiously, wanted to see any restriction from him but he just simiply helf my eye contact.

"Yeah."

Well I guess you asked for it Sungjae.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoped you all liked this short starter frist chapter.

Comment and subscribe if you life~

thank you for viewing