Bonus #2 (part 1)

Engraved Destiny
Please log in to read the full chapter

Drabble 2: The First Date. (part 1.)

 

Hyukjae’s face was straight and expressionless. Yet his heart was starting to beat faster and a layer of cold sweat was already forming on his forehead. His stomach twisted unpleasantly, reacting to his growing anxiety.

“I’ll wait outside.”

Donghae turned around and flashed him a surprised look.

“What do you mean you’ll wait outside?”

“I’d prefer to wait outside”, Hyukjae said and gave him a cold stare, the one he always used to scare people and quickly get out of bad situations.

“Of course not, don’t be silly”, Donghae grinned widely.

Oh right, the red-head thought. That technique never worked on the stubborn brat.

“I’m not, I’ll just wait outside. And who are you calling silly?!” he snarled.

“Aigooo, Eunhyukkie, don’t shout at me”, Donghae pouted deeply. “It’s my birthday and you love me.”

Hyukjae felt with horror his face flush right away.

“W-Why do you keep brining that up?!” he stammered, eyes glaring menacingly.

But Donghae only giggled and palmed his cheeks, a silly grin on his lips. “Because it’s true”, he cooed. “You love so, so much”, he added, ignoring Hyukjae's horrified squeak. “And you’re too shy to say it again, so I’ll say it for you”, he smiled brightly.

Hyukjae remained speechless, not sure if he was deadly embarrassed, deeply annoyed or completely melting at the brunet’s cuteness. Maybe a bit of everything.

“Come now”, Donghae then ordered and grabbed his hand cautiously, as if he was scared to make Hyukjae more upset. But the red-head showed no reaction.

Donghae took a step forward and opened the door of his house, pulling on his mate’s hand as he dragged him inside. “Mom!”, he shouted as they stepped in, making Hyukjae flinch and grow even more nervous.

He had been given no time to mentally prepare himself for the unplanned date, but even less to get ready to meet his lover’s mother again. He felt like a stone had been dropped inside his belly and, even though he could keep his facial expressions under control, he knew he had probably turned a little paler.

Donghae’s mother quickly came out of the kitchen. She was carrying a worried look, and Hyukjae thought Donghae had exactly the same eyes when he was sad. Yet, as soon as she saw her beaming son with his mate, holding hands, her expression softened and a smile crept up her lips.

“You’re back”, she softly said. “And I suppose everything went well. Hello Eunhyuk”, she greeted the teen with a sweet smile.

Hyukjae awkwardly bowed and muttered a low ‘Good Morning’.

Donghae let go of his hand and jumped into his mother’s arms. He squealed happily as he began to explain the whole situation to her, about Hyukjae’s real name and about them having each other’s name carved on their bodies.Hyukjae shifted uncomfortably on his feet when Donghae’s mother began to squeal too and pulled her son into a tight embrace, kissing him all over the face and repeating how happy she was for him.
Seeing a parent showing so much love to their child always made his heart ache with bitterness. It reminded of a time when his parents used to love him too.

He averted his eyes and took a discreet look around instead. Donghae’s home was simply decorated, nothing too fancy nor too expensive -unlike his parents’ place- but it felt nice and heart-warming. Instead of ugly paintings and old vases, there were family pictures everywhere.

His lips unconsciously curled into a small smile as his gaze fell upon a picture of Donghae and his father. His mate was barely 6 or 7, grinning widely to the camera as his father was holding him up in his arms. They both looked happy, like any family should be, and Donghae had such an adorable smile, with a teeth missing in the front...

“That one was taken when we were on holidays in Jeju”, Mrs Lee’s voice suddenly spoke, right beside of him.

He jumped and turned around to face the women, who was now standing by his side. She was gently smiling to him, just like she had done on their first encounter. She seemed kind and caring, but Hyukjae being Hyukjae, he found himself too nervous to utter a single. He hummed instead, and mentally cursed himself for not being able to get over his cold attitude once again.

“Did you have breakfast?” Mrs Lee simply asked when the boy didn’t properly answer.

“No, didn’t get time to”, Hyukjae replied, glancing around but unable to spot Donghae anywhere. That sadist

Please log in to read the full chapter