Overdose

Mediis (In Between)

 

 

Kyungsoo’s doctor was tall and lean with a smile so bright it hurt to look at him too long, the nurses didn’t seem to mind though so Kyungsoo forced himself to look although his eyes were smarting because of the glare. Tao’s grip around Kyungsoo’s hand never wavered as the doctor gently explained the situation to him, he had been in a coma for almost a week. They reassured him that they had been hopeful as he didn’t show any signs of brain damage and had responded to Tao’s voice numerous times on different occasions.

“You must have been dreaming,” a nurse commented as she looked at Kyungsoo’s charts, “your brain activity was abnormally high considering you were in a-” she paused with a sheepish smile as she caught her insensitive mistake, “considering you were asleep,”

Kyungsoo head started to pound, Tao whose eyes kept straying to the machine Kyungsoo was hooked up to frowned as his heartbeat rate picked up slightly. Were Luhan and Kai a dream? 

"I think Kyungsoo’s heard enough for now, he must be tired,” Tao squeezed Kyungsoo’s hand when he shot him a thankful look. The doctor nodded and made to leave but paused under the doorway, he turned around,

“Would you like a painkiller?” both boys paled as the doctor grinned, he chuckled awkwardly when Tao shot him a venomous glare, “too early to joke about it, sorry,” he exited quickly. Tao sighed,

“I’m not so crazy over Dr.Jung’s humor,” he commented as he played with Kyungsoo’s hand, “but he saved you…”

Tao’s voice cracked, tears filled Kyungsoo’s eyes. He regretted it all, he regretted hurting Tao, he regretted hurting himself.

“You saved me,” Kyungsoo said with difficulty voice hoarse, his throat still hurt. Tao released Kyungsoo’s hand eyes downcast, Kyungsoo’s hand twitched as he looked at Tao confused,

“Tao?”

“I’m so confused Kyungsoo, I’m freakin’ happy that you’re awake but I’m angry as well!”

“Angry at me?” Kyungsoo’s voice wavered, “Did you not want me to wake-“

“Of course I wanted you to wake up!” Tao cried outraged that Kyungsoo would even think differently, Kyungsoo flinched moving backwards. Tao deflated with a tired sigh, he buried his face into his palms. His next words were mumbled.

“I’m angry that you’re here recovering from an overdose! Why would you even…” Tao trailed off when he noticed the tears gathering in Kyungsoo’s eyes. He stood up making Kyungsoo fill with panic,

“I’m going to go home, I need a shower. Do you need me to get you anything?” Kyungsoo relaxed slightly shaking his head. Tao approached him leaning down so their faces were at the same level, his hands gently cupped Kyungsoo’s face as he pressed a soft kiss against the edge of Kyungsoo’s lips. Kyungsoo’s eyes fluttered shut as warmness filled his body.

“Wǒ ài nǐ,” Tao whispered as he pulled back slowly, Kyungsoo nodded reply stuck his throat at the sincerity in Tao’s words. Tao brushed a thumb across Kyungsoo’s cheek, “don’t go to sleep, wait until I get back,”

Kyungsoo opened his eyes, Tao was waiting for his reply,

“I won’t, come back quickly,” Tao nodded and grabbed his backpack hefting it over his shoulder, he too like Dr. Jung paused in the doorway. When he looked back his eyes were filled with something close to fear,

“I mean it don’t go to sleep,” Kyungsoo swallowed around the lump in his throat, the anxiousness in Tao’s tone was suffocating. He dipped his head in answer.

“I’ll be back real quick,” Tao promised before shutting the door behind him. Kyungsoo stared at the door for a few minutes so lost in thought he didn’t notice someone had come in until a hand was waving in front of his face trying to get his attention. Kyungsoo’s brows furrowed before he looked up, an elderly woman smiled at him,

“It’s nice to see you finally up, where’s your friend?” the twinkling in her eye told Kyungsoo this woman knew Tao was more than a friend, he didn’t know how to react to her nonchalant attitude to their relationship. He was used to anger, confusion and disgust, acceptance and casual was new, he lowered his head and stared at the IV needle on his hand with feigned interest.

“He went home,” the woman chortled kindly at the soft answer,

“It was about time for him to get some fresh air, he only left your side to use the toilet and go to his job,” Kyungsoo’s head snapped up to look at the woman, she opened the window to let fresh air in, “he got so angry when I opened the windows, he said you hate the cold-“

“Um,” Kyungsoo spoke up softly trying to remain respectful, “you said he had a job…” he trailed off confused, Tao never had a job. His parents were generous with his allowance. The woman folded the covers Tao dumped on one of the chairs,

“Yes, his job at the bakery,” Kyungsoo massaged his temple, pressing down on the areas that throbbed. Tao had taken Kyungsoo’s place at work, the boy hated work. Kyungsoo sniffled uselessly as he tried to keep his tears at bay, the woman turned surprised.

“Oh!” she exclaimed rushing over to the bed, she cradled Kyungsoo’s head softly, eyes filled with concern as she looked him over, “are you in pain? Do you want me to call the doctor? Is it because you’re cold? Do you want me to close the window?”

A teary laugh escaped Kyungsoo as he shook his head,

“I’m fine, just overwhelmed,” he confessed pulling away from the kind lady, “thank you,” the woman gave his hand a fond pat,

“It might not seem like it at the moment but things will get better,” she told him reassuringly, something in her back pocket beeped. She straightened up and walked over to the window, “I’ll be back to change your sheets tomorrow,”

“Can you leave the window open?” Kyungsoo requested as she was about to close it, she paused seriously thinking it over, Kyungsoo couldn’t help the smile growing on his face

“Don’t worry I won’t tell Tao you opened it,”

“Well if you put it that way who am I to refuse,” she chuckled as she walked to the door, “I’ll see you tomorrow,” she promised cheerfully.

Kyungsoo pulled the covers around him higher as a gust of cold air came through the window, he glanced at the clock above the door wondering when Tao would return. A yawn slipped his lips as he burrowed deeper into the cover, his eyes drifted shut contented with the heat.

-

He was shaking, Kyungsoo’s brows furrowed. Earthquake? He forced an eye open as a cacophony of noise hit him. Tao’s eyes widened with relief as he let Kyungsoo’s shoulders go, he sank into the chair beside the bed energy draining with the scare he got when he came into the room to the sight of a sleeping Kyungsoo.

“You said you wouldn’t sleep! You promised-“ Tao’s eyes were narrowed with betrayal, he stood up and strode towards the open window closing it with more force than necessary. Tao slipped into mandarin as he shook his head, he tucked the blanket around Kyungsoo in with shaky movements. Kyungsoo caught his hand, Tao’s eyes met his. They were filled with frustration,

“I told that dammed woman to keep the window shut! You-“

“Tao,” Tao fell silent, his chest heaved up and down as he tried to catch his breath. “I wanted the window to be left open, don’t curse out that nice lady. I’m sorry I feel asleep, I was tired,”

Tao was quiet, Kyungsoo was surprised to see a tear make its way down his cheek,

“What if you hadn’t woken up?” Tao croaked out, things started to slide into place as Kyungsoo figured out the reason behind Tao’s freak out. He squeezed Tao’s hand softly,

“You’re here why wouldn’t I wake up?” Tao took a step forward knees hitting the edge of Kyungsoo’s bed, he lowered himself onto the mattress dumbstruck at Kyungsoo’s answer. Kyungsoo smiled before wriggling to make space beside him, Tao took of his shoes and laid beside him. Kyungsoo rested his head against Tao’s shoulder.

“I’m really sleepy,” Tao’s body became rigid, Kyungsoo shifted carefully onto his side and glanced up at Tao who was worrying his lower lip between his teeth, “the medicine is making me sleepy,”

“Let’s talk!” Tao said turning to look at Kyungsoo, voice rising unnaturally. He cast a pleading look at him, “I missed talking to you,”

Kyungsoo sighed poking Tao’s side sharply, the other yelped grabbing Kyungsoo’s hand cautiously and pulling it over his shoulder so the smaller of the two was draped slightly over his chest. Kyungsoo curled his fingers behind Tao’s neck.

“You’re selfish! Maybe I should have stayed as-“ Tao clamped a hand over Kyungsoo’s mouth before he could finish his sentence, Kyungsoo felt his pulse jump under his fingers. "Too early to joke about it?” he asked as Tao’s jaw tightened in restraint,

“We will never joke about this,” Tao warned darkly, Kyungsoo nodded rubbing the back off Tao’s neck in apology.

“This is a nice room,” he commented changing the subject, Tao relaxed under him, “are using the money from the bakery to pay for it?”

“You know about that, huh? No, I have enough money for this, I’m only working because I didn’t want them to replace you. The money’s in your account-“

Kyungsoo lifted his head only for it to be pushed back down,

“Don’t argue, I don’t care,”

Kyungsoo swallowed his protest,

“How did I find you?” he asked awed by Tao, he felt Tao’s chest shake with silent laughter.

“I found you remember?” Kyungsoo smiled at the memory,

“Yeah, you did… can I sleep now?” Tao let out an exasperated sigh.

“No,” he replied stubbornly,

“Of course you can,” the two jumped, Dr.Jung grinned as he entered.

“Don’t make me kick you out Huang Zitao,” Tao rolled his eyes at the doctor, “Let Kyungsoo sleep if he wants to,”

“Do I have to remind you-“

“That you’re a gold medalist in wushu,” Dr.Jung cut in boredly, “no, you don’t I remember just fine. No one forgets a teenager threatening to kill them,” he grinned at Kyungsoo’s shocked look before checking the machine beside the bed.

“You threatened my doctor?” he hissed at Tao who shrugged,

“He was asking for it,” he muttered,

“I only asked if you wanted to go home,” Dr. Jung said with a chuckle, he shook his head before turning to Kyungsoo, “I’m sorry this is short noticed, but are you up for meeting a counsellor tomorrow?”

“A therapist?” Kyungsoo questioned, Dr. Jung nodded,

“It’s part of the recovery procedure, I’ve timed your session so that you’d be in therapy the time Zitao goes for his job,” Dr. Jung waited for Kyungsoo’s answer as the boy thought it over. “You don’t have to feel pressured, I can reschedule your session,”

“I’ll go,” Kyungsoo said, Dr. Jung smiled looking slightly relieved,

“Great, Dr. Shim would have killed me if I wasted his time rescheduling. A nurse will help you get to his room tomorrow,” Dr. Jung wrote something on the clipboard in his hand before pointing at Tao,

“Let the poor boy sleep, you’ll make his health worsen if you force him to keep awake,” Tao agreed grudgingly. Dr. Jung wished them both a goodnight before leaving, Kyungsoo shut his eyes,

“Goodnight Tao,”

“Wait!” Tao cried, Kyungsoo’s expression scrunched up in annoyance,

“Dr. Jung said-“

“Wǒ ài nǐ,” Kyungsoo shut his mouth, Tao repeated himself.

“I love you too,” Kyungsoo finally replied in a hushed whisper. He repeated himself when Tao didn’t answer.

“I know,” Tao whispered back tone content, “I just wanted to hear you say it again,”



A//N: Hey guys I wanted to update my other stories first but I suddenly had a major craving for Taosoo and thus this chapter was born! and not to worry for those who are Jongin and Luhan biased, they'll be back.....dundundunnnnn.  Thanks for reading y'all <3<3<3 (Sorry for any mistakes, i'm tired. I'll come back later to edit it (: )