Foundation

The Makeup Foundation {requests?}

Today's makeup lesson will be on foundation! 


What is Foundation?

Foundation is a skin-coloured cosmetic that is applied to the face to create an even colour to the complexion. It cover flaws and also changes the natural skintone sometimes.

Coverage

Coverage is one of the most important factors to consider when choosing a foundation. No matter how bad you think your skin is, almost nobody needs 100% coverage. One of the biggest misconceptions about foundation is that it is the answer to all of your skin problems. Unfortunately, this results in people wearing foundation as a mask and missing out on the opportunity to show off their skin’s natural texture.

Light Coverage

Tinted moisturizers, or very thin liquid foundations, such as Laura Mercier’s Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 – Illuminating $42 are perfect for people with very good skin. If you don’t need any coverage, just some color to even out your skin tone, a product like this can work as your foundation, moisturizer, and highlighter without adding excess product.

Medium Coverage

Traditional liquid foundation is the best product to go for if you have normal skin. A product such as Smashbox’s High Definition Healthy FX Foundation $38 works perfectly to even out the skin tone and hide any pigmentation issues without looking heavy.

Heavy Coverage

Heavy or full-coverage foundations, usually compact or cream based, should be used at your own risk. It is not advisable for anyone to use a full-coverage foundation because you are almost guaranteed to look like you have too much makeup on. If you take any tip out of this lesson, please let it be that foundation is not a replacement for concealer; acne, scaring, or other more serious skin problems can be easily covered by the right concealer but foundation is not the answer. If you have extreme skin redness, consider a green correcting primer such as Make Up For Ever’s HD Microperfecting Primer in Green $32.

Types of Foundation:

 

Tinted Moisturizer

If you don't need a lot of coverage but do want something to even out your skin tone and relieve dry skin, tinted moisturizer may provide you with just what you need. Tinted moisturizer is perfect for softening and protecting the skin while adding a hint of foundation color. This makeup is also ideal because you don't have to put on moisturizer and then foundation: it's a one-step process.

Mousse or Whipped Foundation

Mousse or whipped foundation is easier to apply in thin layers than liquid makeup, so you have more control. Mousse makeup is liquid makeup with air whipped in, making it lighter and smoother. It comes in a spray or aerosol-type can, like whipped cream. It costs more than other cosmetics because you're paying for the added air and specialized packaging, but if you've ever spread whipped butter on a hot piece of toast, you know the difference is vast. Whipped foundation is good for all skin types, but it's especially nice for those with dry or aging skin because of its tendency to go on smoothly instead of caking up in facial lines.

Liquid Foundation

Many women like liquid foundation best because it applies so smoothly and is easily found at your local drugstore. You can enhance the smoothness by putting it on with a slightly damp makeup sponge. Liquid makeup is good around the eyes, where you may want a bit more coverage; you can put it on with a small lip brush for the best control.

You'll often see liquid makeup in waterproof or smudgeproof or even 24 hour versions. But these specialized cremes contain oils and waxy ingredients, causing some sensitive wearers slight skin irritation. If you start having problems with breakouts when wearing waterproof makeup, switch to a non-waterproof type and see if it helps. With more people becoming aware of the importance of skin care to their overall health, companies are creating foundations made with organic ingredients such as essential oils, vegetable oils and minerals instead of chemical dyes.

Cream-to-Powder Foundation

One of the most interesting and popular foundation options is cream-to-powder foundation, made by companies of good reputation, like L'Oreal. It goes on as a liquid, but dries to a powder finish that minimizes oil and lasts all day. You'll find cream to powder makeup in compacts that look like powder (which may make you wonder why it isn't called powder to cream to powder makeup), or in tubes or bottles. The big draw is its easy application and the fact that you don't have to put on powder for full coverage

How to Pick the Right Foundation:

If you're new to foundation here's some tips on picking your foundation.

1. Go to a large store (eg. a department store)

2. Ask help from a beauty technician to assist you

3. Find the color of your skin tone. Don't simply just pick a foundation, remember that this has to match with your skin tone.

4. Choose the shade that matches with your jawline. You do not want to apply foundation and in the end your face and neck skintone looks different.

Source:

Wikipedia

theFashionSpot

About.com


Miyake's Tips

For those who are still confused, foundation is pretty similar to BB Cream except that foundation is NOT a skincare product like a BB Cream and for coverage, foundation covers more than BB Cream. You also use this in the same way as BB Cream, just apply it to your face before putting your blush, powder, concealer, etc.

Well for me, I still prefer BB Cream more even if it doesn't cover as much as a foundation does, there's always a concealer to conceal your blemishes and more. BB Cream's also a skincare (I know I mentioned this thousands of times) and so it will be better for your skin. Like I mentioned in the BB Cream post, foundation seems a bit heavy to me so I am not a fan of foundation.

The foundation I recommend for you all is:

- M.A.C's Foundation (all types of M.A.C foundation's extremely flawless)

- Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Liquid Make-up Foundation

- Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Makeup

- The Body Shop's Moisture Foundation

For me, I use both M.A.C's cream and liquid foundation. It's the same as the picture on the left!

If you don't want the expensive ones and prefer ones which aren't so expensive try The Body Shop's.

 


If you have any questions , concerns, feedbacks and anything you would like to know further abut this chapter or makeup, please wall or message me!

Will be glad to help you.

♥ Miyake