Chapter 21

Magnetic Attraction

Oblivious to the intrigued curiousity of nearby couples who had stopped their meals and conversations, Hyukjae's hands shook as he gripped tightly onto the ring box. Beads of warm perspiration formed on his hairline and upper lip, and all he could feel was the magnified sound of his frantic heart pulsing in his neck against the suddenly air-constricting bowtie. He could sense all the blood rushing to his face, pounding in his ears as his stomach clenched in knots of excited anxiety. He had a whole speech prepared for this night - a monologue on how much he wanted and yearned to stay by her side as her husband for the rest of their lives, how only she could complete him and fill the previously void chasm in his heart before he met her.

As Cherie's smoldering eyes widened and flickered from the ring into his own, he couldn't remember a single word.

Swallowing back his self-conciousness, he tried to open his parched mouth and beg her to give him a chance.

Nothing came out.

'Say something dammit,' he chided himself.

He had planned and envisioned this whole night - this proposal - in his mind over and over again last night as he laid in his bed with Cherie sleeping soundly, peacefully, and unknowingly beside him. From the trivial details like the expensive mesh material of the restaurant tablecloth imported from Turkey, to Cherie's reaction the moment he got down on his knees, Hyukjae savored every facet of his fantasy as if it were real, neglecting to concede to the fact that they had only been dating for less than a month, and that their future together seemed rather tempestuous and uncertain.

To be perfectly honest with himself, he was scared.

He was scared that Cherie would reject him; afraid that she might not have agreed to be in this relationship with marriage as a presupposition.

He knew he was skipping a little too far ahead of the game, but he needed the assurance in the form of an "I do" to ease the torment of his heart. He knew that when they flew back to Korea, it would be tough to maintain in constant contact with each other like they had so easily done in Italy by living under the same roof, what with her last year of studies in college and new internship position, in addition to his own responsibilties as head pilot of an international airline carrier.

But most importantly, it frightened him tremendously to think that she would eventually grow estranged to him and fall in love with another man.

He needed her.

He would do anything for her.

He would give her everything she wanted.

Hell, he would even take a bullet for her without a moment's hesitation.

He loved her.

But did she feel the same way about him?

Hyorin and Kyuhyun had long finished their duet, but the pianist continued to trill out the romantic notes of the song as background accompaniment. They both meandered their way to Cherie and Hyukjae's table, keeping a respectable distance as they were joined by Donghae and Leeteuk, who had arrived moments ago in handsome black suits with a big bouquet of gorgeous white tulips bundled in layers of wrapping tissue.

Cherie looked around at all of her friends' encouraging and optimistic smiles, their faces rosy with anticipation and envy, before training her attention back on Hyukjae, who was still kneeling on the ground.

"Get up first."

Hyukjae furrowed his eyebrows but obliged and stood up, patting the dirt off his trousers. He didn't know what to do with his hand that was holding the ring box, so he awkwardly let his arm hang there.

Cherie stood up too.

"Hyukjae..." she started. "I don't think I can be your girlfriend anymore."

A collective gasp shot throughout the rooftop gourmet restaurant.

Hyorin covered her gaping mouth with her hand as Kyuhyun instinctively put his arm around her. Donghae seemed frozen in blank shock, while Leeteuk's mouth twitched, holding back a dozen biting questions for Cherie's cold and tactless rejection. Hyukjae didn't deserve that kind of punishment when he had mustered up so much strength and courage to pop the question in front of all these people.

Hyukjae's vision clouded over as he tried to process what she had just said. The whole world started spinning out of control and he vainly closed his eyes to regain his senses.

"I... I don't understand. Is it too early? Did I do something wrong? I mean I can wait for you to think it over. We can take it slowly if you like I'm not pressuring you into agreeing-"

His jaw clenched as Cherie closed the gap between them and put her index finger against his lips to shush him.

"I can't be your girlfriend if I'm going to be your fiancée right?"

Hyukjae blinked, his expression confused

"F-fi-fiancée? You mean-?" he stuttered.

Cherie nodded, a lump forming in the back of .

Hyukjae's heart swelled and expanded as waves of ecstatic relief flooded his lungs. He let out a huge breath he didn't even know he was holding, and with tears prickling his eyelids, his trembling fingers took the ring out of the silk cushion and delicately slid it onto Cherie's slender finger.

The rooftop burst out in applaud and congratulatory cheers as Hyukjae tossed the box to Donghae and slid his arms around Cherie's back before lifting her off her feet, hugging her tight to him as he spun her around in a dorkishly cliché way. Cherie squealed and gripped onto him for her dear life, the train of her gown swooshing in the air in an ethereal fashion.

"I love you," he blurted as he put her back down, and much to his embarrassment, a single teardrop escaped his right eye and tumbled freely down his flushed cheek.

Cherie's innate maternal side melted from the sight of the innocent, raw emotions that Hyukjae was showing. Just as he was about to hastily wipe it away with his palm, she grabbed his hands tightly in hers, and with all the love and affection she had inside of her for him, closed her eyes and kissed his damp cheek, the beautiful salty teardrop moistening her lips.

No words in the human language could do justice to the sheer level of happiness Cherie felt was consuming her entire being at that moment. Even if they had only met for a month, she couldn't imagine herself with any man other than Hyukjae. They had been through so much together over the short time span, and although she didn't expect him to propose to her so soon, now that he had, the timing couldn't have been more perfect.

Why delay the inevitable, right?

Her hands traveled up his broad chest, and after admiring the way the Tiffany's heart-shaped diamond sparkled on her left hand, she gently pulled his tux collar down to her, giving him the best kiss she's ever given.

She kissed him again. And again. And again.

"I love you more," Cherie smiled as she broke off the sweet kisses.

"Alright. Enough PDA-ing already, I think I'm going to develop post traumatic stress disorder from watching all this uncensored making out," Donghae laughed as he snatched a flute of champagne from a waiter, who was circulating the area with free drinks for the special occasion.

Ignoring him, Hyukjae wrapped his arms around Cherie's small frame in a deep hug.

"I love you I love you I love you..." he whispered in her ear.

Kyuhyun stepped further off to the side of the crowd and tried to appear mildly interested. In all the years that he had known Cherie, he had never seen her look so happy and blissful in someone else's arms. He was glad she finally found the right guy, but a tiny little piece of him still hoped that he was the man that she had said yes to.

'Good luck Cher. I wish you a lifetime of happiness with him.'

Taking a glass of champagne for himself, he lifted it into the air.

"A toast, to Mr. and Mrs. Lee."

"Cheers!" everyone in the restaurant exclaimed before clinking glasses, with exuberant laughter and jovial chattering permeating through the evening air underneath the blanket of glimmering, diamond stars.

~*~*~*~

Standing near the bar with Leeteuk, Donghae, and a couple of other Italian friends he knew who frequented the restaurant, Hyukjae endured through the insufferable joking and jealous teasing of the men before it was time for him and Cherie to leave for the Vogue party.

Responding with bashful grins and helpless head-scratchings, the groom-to-be snuck a quick peek at Cherie, who was leaning against the railing overlooking the city view with Hyorin and Kyuhyun.

She felt his gaze on her and looked over.

He ducked his head, pretending to concentrate of what Donghae was saying.

Cherie smiled.

"That boy is so in love with you," Hyorin said wistfully, nudging Cherie's side with her arm as she witnessed the adorable exchange. Kyuhyun, who stood on the other side of Cherie, hummed in agreement.

Cherie looked down at the bouquet of white tulips in her hands that Leeteuk had passed to Hyukjae, who had shyly given it to her and disappeared off to pay the check before being bombarded with his friends' celebratory hurrah circle near the bar.

"My life is like a freaking Disney movie," she laughed.

"Very romantic of an expression," Kyuhyun shook his head.

"Speaking of romantic, you came all the way back from Rome to sing tonight?" Cherie asked Kyuhyun.

"What are best friends for right?" Kyuhyun shrugged, brushing his bangs back from his face. He turned sideways to face her, only to see wrinkles creasing her forehead, her perfect eyebrows furrowing in caring concern.

"Kyu... I'm sorry," Cherie murmured. "You didn't have to do this."

"I have to let go. That's life. Besides, Hyo practically blackmailed me into coming tonight to sing with her, and since she's not even supposed to sing with the condition of her voice right now, I couldn't really say no. You know how scary she gets," Kyuhyun laughed, trying to make light of his burning feelings for Cherie, though the anguish in his dark eyes never left them.

Hyorin remained silent.

Cherie grinned weakly as she brought her hands up to his cheeks, cupping them delicately as if he would break any second.

"Cho Kyuhyun. A special place in my heart will always be reserved for you that not even Hyukjae could replace. I promise."

Kyuhyun's eyes fluttered closed as he pressed his face closer to the palms of her hands, savoring the last few moments of their time together before she left his life as someone else's for good.

"I have to go," Kyuhyun whispered as he finally opened his eyes. Bringing Cherie's arms down from his face, he mustered a bright smile as he let go and took a step backwards.

"Congratulations again on your engagement Cher. I'll see you soon."

"Hyo," he nodded towards Hyorin's direction.

Waving his hand halfheartedly, he turned around and headed for the exit without waiting for the girls to reply. Jabbing the elevator button one too many times, he chewed on his lip, his gaze so intense on the flashing red numbers he could've melted the metal.

The door finally opened.

Taking large strides, he entered the little enclosed space and pressed "CLOSE".

The elevator dinged and slid shut just in time as he let out a bitter cry, his throat emitting strangled sobbing noises he didn't even know humans could make. The pain he had so forcefully repressed a couple of weeks ago finally unleashed itself, engulfing him in a sad, gray cloud of loneliness.

Who was he kidding? He could never let go of her. Even if he got married and had kids, he would still love her the most.

Love her more than Hyukjae.

He would take that love to the grave without anyone knowing that he had been living his whole life in deception; but it was worth it. He was willing to make that sacrifice, just as long as Cherie could be loved by someone who could protect her and be by her side for him.

Her happiness mattered.

His didn't.

 

From: Kyuhyun

To: Changmin

Message: I'll be back in 4 hours.
Need to get drunk.

 

From: Changmin

To: Kyuhyun

Message: I'm sorry bro.
You'll find someone better soon.

 

From: Kyuhyun

To: Changmin

Message: ...... no.
I won't.

 

~*~*~*~

A quartet playing Tchaikovsky in the background added a reverential feel to the atmosphere, the poignant timbre of the expensive wood and vibration of the strings echoing in the hall as hushed conversations and eruptions of polite laughter bounced off of the walls and mingled in the pleasantly-scented air. Satin-covered tables teeming with a wide range of Haute cuisine foods like Hors d'oeuvres, royal Beluga caviar, paper-thin black truffle slices with specialty cheeses, pyramids of stacked French Macaroons, and fresh sushi platters greeted the invitation-only guests of the party as the handsome men and beautiful women stepped into the huge, open-spaced center atrium of the Carlton Hotel Baglioni grand ballroom.

Although it was supposed to be an intimate soiré, everyone who was anyone was present. A-list photographers, supermodels, fashion designers, and of the course, the one and only editor-in-chief of Vogue Italia, Franca Sozzani. Holding court with a few of the guests, who were gripping onto her every word as if it were the Word of God, there was an air of modesty and class about her that made her stand out in a crowd, despite her demure, custom-fit emerald green dress, her signature, buttery-white curls hanging down her shoulders, and her sparkling pumps. The way she carried herself screamed power, her sweeping hand gestures conveyed authority, and her subtle facial expressions asserted influence. No one dared to speak to her before they were spoken to first, not out of fear, but rather out of humble respect.

"Hyuk, I'm nervous," Cherie whispered, keeping her eyes trained on the woman of the hour.

The couple was standing near the outskirts of the ballroom beside a table exclusively laden with an assortment of chocolate-dipped strawberries, as they had decided beforehand that they would survey the scene to get an idea on how they should act and speak without unknowingly committing social suicide in front of all these glamorous celebrities of fame and fortune. Compared to these people of monumental success, Hyukjae and Cherie's own accomplishments seemed like child's play.

"Why?" Hyukjae asked as Cherie absentmindedly took a strawberry and bit into it, feeling the tangy juice squirting into as the chocolate melted sweetly down . Hyukjae blinked a couple of times as Cherie's tongue innocently roamed the curves of her red lips to make sure nothing was left on there.

"Franca. I want to speak to her but she probably doesn't even know I exist."

Hyukjae cleared his throat and forced himself to look away as Cherie started to her fingers clean from any excess confectionary. Now was not the time to lust after her aphrodisiacal tongue actions and where they could be put to better use.

... on him.

"Come on. I think everyone in this room knows who you are. You're the girl who overcame the rat poison and aced her intership exam in spite of the fact. I'm sure they're all just dying to meet you."

"You think so?"

"I know so. Who wouldn't want a piece of my ravishing fiancée?" Hyukjae smiled, earning a loving kiss on the cheek from Cherie.

"Whoops," she giggled, using her thumb to wipe away her lipstick mark. "I'm so glad you're here with me right now."

"As am I," Hyukjae replied. "Please, lead the way. I'll be right behind you."

Puffing out her cheeks, Cherie released a slow, steady breathe and calmed her mind. Nothing took more precedence right now than establishing a solid impression on Franca.

Not Kyuhyun and his ambiguity, not Hyorin and her disquieting silence about his strange manner tonight, and not even the numerous glances and looks of interest the gorgeous women around them have been shooting at Hyukjae in his ridiculously adorable cute bowtie could distract her from showing the world her determination in wanting to let Franca know just how much she admired and revered her.

Squaring her shoulders, Cherie straightened her posture and boldly walked up to Franca, graciously waiting for the editor-in-chief to finish complimenting Karl Lagerfeld's latest seasonal runway designs before introducing herself. Her insides were ferociously knotted in both exhiliration and anxiety, but it was time to use her natural-born charisma and confidence to good use.

"Good evening, Ms. Sozzani, my name is Cherie Liu and I'm one of the photography interns this summer. I had a little incident during the exam period but I want to thank you and Vogue for giving me another chance to prove my worth," Cherie began, her smile genuinely lighting up her whole face.

Franca eyed Cherie up and down with curiousity before pulling her into a brief but firm hug.

"You're a very strong girl. I'm grateful to have you as a part of our team."

Stunned, Cherie's froze at Franca's unexpected intimacy.

"You... I- I really admire you," she said without thinking, before slapping her hand against in embarrassment, all charisma and confidence gone and kicked out of the door.

Franca let out a merry, toothy chuckle that reminded Cherie of her grandmother, a warm and benign woman who seemed cold and hard to approach on the outside, but was actually a soft old teddy bear on the inside.

"You're an inspiration to Cherie. She really respects you," Hyukjae quickly chimed in from the side to save Cherie from her endearing outburst.

"I am honored. And you are?"

"Lee Hyukjae, head captain of the world's lead aviation company and Cherie's fiancé," Hyukjae flashed her a knee-buckling grin only rerserved for special occasions.

"My, what a charming young man," Franca smiled as a hovering assistant whispered something in her ear.

"Excuse me, I need to attend to some matters, but you two have fun tonight," she said, winking directly at Cherie before she was briskly led away.

Cherie turned to Hyukjae slowly and let out a stifled squeal as she did a little jiggle unbefitting of her attire and the venue.

"Can you believe it? Franca just hugged me! She hugged me! Franca! Me! Hug!"

Hyukjae laughed.

Little did Cherie anticipate, this night was about to get much, much more exciting.

This was, after all, their night.

-----------------------------------------------------------