Chapter 15

Magnetic Attraction

"A wider aperture decreases the depth of field. It’s desirable for portraits and close-up photos, but as the shutter speed gets slower, a rule of thumb is that you should use a minimum shutter speed of 1/focal length by multiplying the camera’s crop factor. Now, let's finish with EXIF. The metadata..."

Furiously tapping away on her Macbook, Cherie quickly took a swig of her Starbucks latte before hitting enter and starting a new page of terms and definitions of photography jargon she needed to review. Cherie felt her fingers start to cramp from all the typing, the underside of her arms indented with the straight-cut edge of the lacquered white-wood table. Readjusting her off-the-shoulder top, Cherie agonizingly stretched out the kinks in her back before her fingers started flying across the keyboard again, her pink nails clicking methodically in a brisk pace.

It was the interns' last fashion-photography essentials workshop, a complete set of six, full-day intensive classes they were required to take under Vogue's training program before they were to be taken under a mentor’s wing for three months of apprenticeship and observation.These six, very limited days of training and knowledge cramming was to prepare them for the exam, as well as for the field if they passed the exam. If they didn’t pass, then, well, let’s just say millions of guys and girls would jump through rings of blazing fire to be in their positions. Although they were hand-picked by the executives; the crème de la crème of the bunch, if you will, they could be tossed onto the streets in an instant with someone already waiting at the door to take their spot if they showed any signs of hesitation or lack of drive. The fashion industry was constantly morphing and changing with new innovative ideas and visionary creations, so the company couldn’t afford the luxury of having time to waste and plunder on unmotivated employees.

Every second counted. The interns had to keep up, or go home.

Yet Cherie had somehow ridden a one-way train to a full acceptance with a simple answer to a simple question without knowing half of what to expect. Was it luck? Most likely, which was why Cherie needed, more than ever, to demonstrate to everyone, including herself, that she deserved to be there; that she was taking it as seriously as anyone else would've. This was, after all, her lifelong dream. She needed to continue fighting for it so it doesn't become a long, magical illusion that can never be retrieved back after waking up from a deep slumber.

Nevertheless, there was one thing that Cherie regretted since the start of her internship, just a day after her rainy date with Hyukjae; she no longer had any quality time with him. There was the occasional greeting or peck on the cheek, but with her leaving for Vogue’s headquarters bright and early in the morning and coming back around at night after dinner at Subway or a local deli, she would hole up in her room, reviewing her notes while fiddling with her camera until everyone else in the house was already in bed. She barely even had enough time to talk to Hyorin about everything that was going on. No fun, late-night gossiping, no homemade honey-lemon face masks or sing-off extravaganzas; nothing.

No one complained of course, because this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for Cherie to achieve her childhood fantasy, but Cherie felt absolutely horrible for shutting out her friends for her future career. This was just the beginning though. How much worse would she get if her career actually launched off? She didn’t want to turn into a workaholic freak who cared about nothing else. It scared her to even think of the idea.

"We're done. The exam’s tomorrow morning at 7AM sharp. Have a good beauty sleep, eat a hearty breakfast, and don’t stress about it. You guys are pretty damn good students, so make me proud. Now hurry up and leave before I get all sentimental and crap," the instructor joked as Cherie and the other two guys laughed and packed up to leave.

As Cherie got into the elevator, she saw a familiar figure standing in the corner, but couldn’t quite place her finger on where she had seen him before.

“Cherie?” the guy asked, surprised.

“Yes?” she answered.

The guy smiled, his dimples creasing his chiseled, handsome face.

“Remember me?” he asked again.

“No... wanna help me out?”

“The guy from the beach, Siwon,” he replied, reaching out his hand to shake hers. “It’s nice to see you again.”

“Oh yeah! What are you doing here?” Cherie laughed, feeling the firm grip of his big hands.

“Errands and such,” Siwon shrugged. “What about you?”

“I have a small internship for photography,” Cherie said as they arrived on the first floor.

“Really? That’s awesome. When you become big, don’t forget about me."

“No way, a princess never forgets her subjects,” Cherie smiled, referring back to the odd conversation they had on the beach. “And weren’t you going to be my knight in shining armor that would protect me from all the sins and wickedness of the world?”

“How could I forget?” Siwon chuckled, running a hand through his hair.

Walking past the round reception desk, Cherie was about to suggest that they grab something to eat before she saw Hyukjae perched casually on the arms of the one of the leather couches in the entrance hall, his back facing them.

“Siwon, I’d love to talk more, but I have to go now. I’ll see you later soon?” Cherie swiveled to face him, anxious to get to Hyukjae

“You can count on it.”

Keeping her eyes trained on his back, Cherie tiptoed up behind him in her pumps. Cringing at how loud her heels were on the marble floor, she slowly brought her hands up to his eyes and leaned into him, his short, black hair smelling of fresh citrus and mint.

“Boo!”

Grinning, Hyukjae took her hands down, stood up, and turned around.

“Hey."

“Hey,” Cherie replied. “I didn’t scare you.”

“Yes you did.”

“Don’t lie.”

“You didn't,” Hyukjae breathed, bringing the back of her hand up to his lips to kiss gently.

Cherie's stomach knotted in loops of longing and excitement for her boyfriend from the simple gesture.

“Let’s go home for dinner,” Hyukjae smiled, taking her hand in his and leading her to his parked car in front of the building. "How was your last day of class?"

"We mostly reviewed all the material and concepts so there wasn't anything particularly new. I just can't wait to get this over with," Cherie sighed.

"Me too. Do you know how lonely I"ve been? I've even resorted to conversing with my toy mushroom, pretending that it was you," Hyukjae said as he revved up the engine and sped down the street.

"Please don't tell me you kissed your mushroom too. If you did then we need to go see a psychologist."

"Come on, you don't honestly think kissing a mushroom could even compare to your electrifying kisses? I'm not that desperate!" he cried, stopping at a red light.

"Good to know. I'll promise to make it up to you tomorrow night when I'm finished with everything," Cherie said, placing her hand on his thigh and squeezing it, letting her fingers linger a little bit longer.

Hyukjae kept his eyes focused on the road as he cleared his throat. "Please refrain from distracting the driver while on the road."

Cherie laughed and retracted her hand.

Some things never change.

~*~*~*~

"Mr. and Mrs. Lee!" Donghae greeted the couple as they stepped into the house.

Mrs. Lee smiled as she air kissed him on both cheeks. "Aren't you a sight for sore eyes these days?"

"You're looking pretty beautiful these days too," Donghae winked. "Mr. Lee must be driving the men off with a stick."

"I'm the one who's in high demand these days ok?" Mr. Lee butted in, but quickly hugged his wife. "Just kidding. Who wouldn't want you as their wife?"

"Apparently you," she joked.

As they moved into the living room, Leeteuk, who was watching America's Next Top Model re-runs with Hyorin, howled.

"Tyra are you blind? Alexandria should be the one sent home!"

"Still obsessed with that show eh?" Mrs. Lee said.

Leeteuk turned around to see his most favorite parents in the world.

"What are you guys doing here!" he yelled before giving them gigantic hugs.

"Glad to see you too son," Mr. Lee laughed. "Who's that pretty lady beside you on the couch?"

"I'm Hyorin, Donghae's friend," Hyorin introduced herself as she stood up. "It's a pleasure to meet you two."

"Girlfriend, that is," Donghae corrected. "She's too shy to admit it."

"Ahhh, young love. Do you still remember when we first started dating," Mrs. Lee asked her husband.

"No. I'm afraid I have temporary bouts of amnesia," Mr. Lee sighed. "It's rather tragic."

"I bet it is," Leeteuk laughed.

"So where's my baby?" Mrs. Lee looked around the room.

"He's picking his girlfriend up from work," Leeteuk said as Mrs. Lee took a grape from the fruit platter on the dining table.

"Ooooo that's exciting," she said, her eyes lighting up.

"That boy has been going on and on and on about her on the phone. I can't wait to see what kind of girl she is to have caught the kid's heart," Mr. Lee mused.

"She's actually Hyorin's best friend. You won't be disappointment I can assure you," Donghae said as he heard footsteps in the hallway. "Speaking of which, I think they're here."

Hyukjae and Cherie walked into the living room, only to find everyone gathered on the couch, in addition to two older people.

"What's everyone doi- Mom? DAD?" Hyukjae stiffened as he stopped in his tracks.

-----------------------------------------------------------