A Great Team

A Great Team

 

I was in the school auditorium waiting backstage. Tonight was the school talent show and I would be going up next. It all the sudden got dark as two hands went around my eyes. I sighed and pushed off the hands I knew belonged to my friend, Jang Dongwoo.

“What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in the audience waiting to see me perform?” I asked all in a whisper.

“I just came to wish you luck. Hwaiting!”

I thanked him as the person that was on, ended her song. They introduced me and I went out and smiled at the crowd. I got in place and soon the music started. I would be dancing to f(x)'s Chu. The music started and the crowd started to cheer. I couldn't stop smiling as I sang along. Even though I didn't have a microphone and people couldn't hear I still sang along. I was confused as it got to the rap. Right before the rap, they go “Amber” for obvious reason. Yet, in a voice I clearly knew, I heard “Dongwoo” instead. I continued to dance as Dongwoo came out with a microphone and started to do the rap. He looked at me and winked. As the rap ended, I watched as I was joined by three other people. What in the world was going on here?! Wait, I know. This is one of Dongwoo's plans!

For the rest of the song (which wasn't much), I danced with these unknown people. At least we were in synch. As the song ended and we all did our finishing poses, people got up and cheered. Wow, people really seemed to like it.

I bowed to them and smiled. Once I was off stage, I went over to Dongwoo who was giving high fives to the back up dancers. I took the collar of his shirt and pulled him out the door so we could talk.

“What did you do?” I asked, crossing my arms and looking at him with a glare.

“Come on , you can't be mad at me. The crowd loved it.”

“Maybe they did, but that is not the performance I had practiced. Who were those dancers? What went on?”

Dongwoo chuckled and pinched my cheeks.

“Your so cute when you're mad.” He said. “But if you must know. I grabbed a few of my friends and practice the dance with them. Then we made a track where it only had the rap taken out so that I could surprise you by coming out and showing off my awesome rapping skills.”

This is a typical Dongwoo move. I can't just do something by myself. It always has to be the two of us together. He can't let me have the spotlight just once.

“Okay, care to tell me who your friends were?”

On cue, the three came out of the auditorium ready to go back into the crowd. I took off their hats one by one to see who they were. First was Hoya. Figures, he is the best guy dancer at our school. Then next was Sungjong. Figures, he loves girl group dances. Then last was Woohyun. I can see him doing the dance but I wouldn't have guessed him.

“Were just going to go. We hope you win.” Woohyun said.

The ran away leaving their hats behind. I sighed and went back into the auditorium, Dongwoo following behind. After two more acts, it was time for the winner to be announced. Dongwoo came onstage with me and the other contestants that were the best of the night. Dongwoo took my hand but I took it away and crossed my fingers. I was still mad at him.

“And the winner is...” My principal paused for an annoying dramatic effect. “ and Dongwoo with their performance of f(x)'s Chu.”

Everyone got up and clapped as Dongwoo pushed us forward to except the trophy. I thanked everyone and took the trophy in disbelief. I was so happy. Sure this was just a talent show at school, but it still mad me happy. I looked next to me at Dongwoo and something just came over me. I leaned over and kissed his cheek. Dongwoo looked at me with shock and touched his cheek with his fingers. Then he smiled wide and grabbed my hands. He pulled me in for a quick kiss.

“Okay you two, do that backstage.” The principal said.

Dongwoo took my hand and led me out the backstage door and out to the hallway. In the middle of the hallway he began to kiss me again. We heard cheering and pulled away to see Dongwoo's friends.

“See! Your plan worked!” Sungjong said.

Hoya and Woohyun each took one of Sungjong arms and dragged him away while apologizing. Dongwoo laughed at his friends. That laugh that no one can mistake it for belonging to anyone else. He had this laugh that just made you laugh with him. So we were both laughing like crazy. Finally, I got to asking him,

“What plan?”

His laughing stopped and he looked at me.

“I don't know what your talking about.” He said.

“Sungjong just said...”

“He's Sungjong, let's jut ignore him.”

Dongwoo tried to pull me along to meet up with our parents but I wouldn't budge.

“Just tell me. I won't be mad.” I told him.

“Well, I arranged this 'ambush', if you'd call it that, so I could kiss you like I did. You may be annoyed that I always seem to crash your spotlight and bring in on to me too, but I just really like you and I like hearing people talk about the performances that we do together. So, are you still mad at me?”

I can't believe all these time I've been mad at him, it was just because he liked me. How did I not see this?

“Of course I'm not mad at you.” I told him and kissed him.

“So are we... dating?” He asked.

“No, I'm kissing you because I want to stay friends.” I said sarcastically.

Apparently Dongwoo couldn't tell because he got a sad look on his face.

“You want to stay friends?” He asked.

“No, no, no! I was being sarcastic. I very much want to be your girlfriend.” I told him.

Dongwoo sighed in relief and pulled me into a hug.

“You really did great tonight.” He told me.

I shook my head.

We did great.” I said.