Six

UNIDENTIFIED

“They were a couple for almost a year before hyung left.”

Soojin’s eyes widened as she turned to the youngest, who looked completely bewildered by everyone’s reaction. Her and Jaehwan’s relationship wasn’t exactly a secret, but they hadn’t mentioned it at all since Jaehwan came back, and she assumed that none of the others had known about it, as they were all busy with their lives when it happened.

She turned to look at the others, coughing slightly as she realized all eyes had fallen on her and Jaehwan, who was still sitting with an arm around her waist. “What?” She broke the silence, sitting up straight and allowing Jaehwan’s arm to fall free from its hold.

Soojin inhaled deeply as Jaehwan got the message and coughed, sitting back and pulling away from her as they were continuously scrutinized by their friends. She rubbed the inside of her wrist with her thumb, a gesture she had long since adopted whenever she felt nervous or scared.

“You and Jaehwan hyung? Why didn’t we know about this?” Wonsik spoke up, voicing the question Soojin knew was on everyone’s minds at the moment.

“It wasn’t exactly a secret,” Jaehwan began, glancing at the youngest. “Sanghyuk knew.”

“Yeah, but what about us? Why didn’t we know about it?” Wonsik asked again. “I mean, it’s pretty obvious that Hyukkie’s the only one who knew.”

Jaehwan shrugged, and Soojin knew he was trying to think of an explanation. They didn’t keep their relationship a secret on purpose – they just didn’t feel the need to broadcast it to everyone.

“Eh, but you guys weren’t around that much, anyway,” Sanghyuk suddenly said, brushing the topic aside. “We were all busy with our lives, so it’s only natural that I’d be the only one who knew. I was the only one in the same Uni as them, anyway.”

Soojin relaxed as she saw the others accept the maknae’s explanation, their expressions changing from suspicion to something more relaxed and accepting.

“I can’t believe we’re so many years late on the news about Soojin’s first boyfriend!” Wonsik cried as he threw his hands up in mock despair. “Our baby girl grew up and we weren’t around to smack the guy’s head!”

“I’m older than you, Wonsik!”

“You’re still our baby girl, noona. You’re the only girl in this group, after all,” Hongbin chided.

“So, noona,” Wonsik crept closer to Soojin, and she noted the mischievous glint in his eye. “Did hyung try anything funny with you?”

Soojin felt her face heat up from the question, and Jaehwan immediately stood, playfully punching the younger boy’s shoulder. “Shush! That is none of your business!”

Wonsik laughed as he and Hongbin high-fived. “So you did!”

“Ah, you’re all so noisy!” Jaehwan shouted, but his voice was drowned by the other two’s laughter. Even Sanghyuk was chuckling a little.

Soojin’s ears felt hot and she wanted to pull Jaehwan back to sit down and shut up, but Taekwoon suddenly getting up from the seat behind her silenced everyone as they turned to look at him.

“It’s way past midnight. We should all get to sleep,” he announced, and moved to leave the room. Soojin looked to him gratefully, but he only brushed past her without a glance. She gulped. That was one person she had stayed in touch with but didn’t know about her relationship status, either.

All eyes were now fixed on the door where Taekwoon had just walked out of – their minds finally off of the announcement of Jaehwan and Soojin’s past. They were used to being told what to do by a dad-like Taekwoon, but for him to announce his instructions so loudly… that was a first.

“Today is a weird day,” Wonsik sighed, getting up and turning the TV off. “Since appa says it’s time to go to bed, let’s all get to bed.”

Hongbin and Sanghyuk followed Wonsik out the room, and it was only then that Soojin noticed the absence of her other best friend. “Where’s Hakyeon?” She wondered out loud. She heard a sigh and realized that Jaehwan was still in the room with her. He sat on the coffee table to face her, his face serious.

“I think it’s about time we talked about this,” he began. Soojin saw in his eyes that he was preparing himself to get hurt, and that pricked her heart, knowing she would cause him pain once more. “We need to clear up what we couldn’t before I left.”

Soojin didn’t know what to say. Sure, she had been hurt when he disappeared – the one pillar of support she had left, the one who said would heal all the wounds and transform her heart, and yet she woke up one day to an empty room and a hastily written note of goodbye. But that was all in the past. She had seen what the boy had gone through with his condition, how he’d hurt people with his alter then coming back to learn about what he’d done. The kind boy she had known for years couldn’t take it anymore. She understood why he had to leave and isolate himself.

Soojin swallowed, allowing herself a bit more time before speaking. “Jaehwan,” she began, but he cut her off.

“I’ve known from the very beginning that your heart wasn’t mine, Soojin,” she bit her lip at his use of her real name. “I’m sorry I forced you into that relationship back then. I think I may have taken advantage of your condition at that time. And I won’t blame Ken for this because I know that those were my actions and mine alone.”

“I made my own decisions, Jaehwan,” Soojin whispered. “Everything I did was of my own accord, too. And in the end, I hurt you more than anyone else. I’m sorry.”

Jaehwan shook his head, taking the girl’s hands into his own. “No, Jinah -”

“Don’t deny it, Jaehwan. I hurt you, and that made - everything - worse!”

“Jinah, Ken existing and taking over was never your fault. Please don’t think like that.”

There were tears in Soojin’s eyes as she recalled all those times her heart had pined away for someone else, only to find the hurt in Jaehwan’s own heart. She had tried her best, she knew she had the capacity to love Jaehwan - he was her best friend, the one who had always been there - but why wouldn’t her heart listen?

“Jinah,” Jaehwan whispered, pulling her chin up to allow him to search her eyes. “It wasn’t your fault. There are simply some things that can’t be explained, alright? Besides, look at me,” he said, gazing into her eyes more intensely, if that was even possible at that point. “Look, I’m fine. It took a while, but I’m back. It’s me. Just Jaehwan.”

“I’m sorry, Jaehwan,” Soojin choked out, wrapping her arms around the other’s neck as she allowed the tears to fall. She felt his shoulders sag as the reason behind her apology sank in. A hand reached up to her back, patting it comfortingly.

“I guess I shouldn’t have left you, huh?” He said, his voice racked with pain. “I lost the footing I finally found in your heart.”

“I’ll always love you, Jaehwan.”

Silence filled the room as Jaehwan pulled away. “But never in the way that I will always love you.”


 

“They were a couple for almost a year before hyung left.”

Sanghyuk’s words continued to ring in Hakyeon’s ears as he sat in the woods outside the cottage. He had almost completely forgotten about the creepy shadows created by the moonlight, but he barely cared anymore. Not with the revelation of his two best friends’ past.

He had always teased Soojin about her having feelings for the other boy, but he didn’t quite expect it to be real. He had long since believed that the girl only had eyes for him - which was also why he pulled away. He thought he had only seen her as a little sister, someone he cared for, and so he didn’t want to hurt her by leading her on. But here he was now, cursing himself for his stupidity. If only he had understood his true feelings sooner; if only he had acted on them sooner, then maybe he wouldn’t be facing the dilemma of stepping between his two best friends.

He heard laughter from inside the cottage, and he wondered what could have happened. He had left the room right after Sanghyuk’s revelation, unable to take in any more information. He didn’t need to hear the two confirm what he already knew.

Hakyeon sighed, getting up from the log he was sitting on to kick at some bushes. Of course she’d end up with Jaehwan. He was there for her when she needed someone. I disappeared and he stood by her side.

“You disappeared. You were her best friend and you disappeared.”

I shouldn’t have left, Hakyeon thought, frustrated. He pulled at his hair, ruffling it as he growled at himself. “Why was I so blind to my own feelings?”

“It wasn’t me she needed. It wasn’t me she wanted.” Jaehwan’s words from their conversation at the restaurant rang in Hakyeon’s mind. The way the other man had said it, it seemed like he knew that the girl in question did not have him on her mind - or in her heart.

Could that mean…? Hakyeon stopped pacing and turned to face the cottage, a feeling of determination filling him. I will up my game. I won’t admit defeat when I haven’t even fought a battle. You will see me once again, Jinnie. Just you wait.



Hi, there. So, yeah. This is an actual update. I am so sorry it took so long! 

Anyway, people suddenly subscribed to this story, and I was overwhelmed. I mean, COME ON. I said that this will be on hiatus indefinitely, and people subscribed anyway? *sobs* Thank you for the support, guys. That totally motivated me to start 2014 right by presenting you with this update.

Once again, thank you for the subs, guys. I hope you all have a JOYOUS NEW YEAR! And let's all spend 2014 supporting and loving VIXX, eh? <3 <3 <3

NARASE! N-nyeong~~