Two

UNIDENTIFIED

 

Soojin yawned as she walked out of the library, books in hand. She only had a couple more days left of exams, most of them being a cinch for her. She was almost ready to start relaxing. She paused at the bottom of the department’s steps, waiting for the familiar blue car to appear. Hakyeon had been picking her up every night for the past couple of days, bringing lots of healthy food. “Dieting isn’t a bad idea, but your brain needs all the nutrients it can get so you can get top marks,” he told her the first night when she had scrunched up her nose at the vegetable salad he brought. She wondered what he would bring this time.
 
The sound of a car horn pulled her out of her thoughts. She waved and ran over, getting into the passenger seat right away.
 
“Hey, Hakyeon,” Soojin greeted as she put her books onto the back seat. Her heart fluttered as she turned to face the man behind the steering wheel.
 
“All ready to ace tomorrow’s exams?” Hakyeon asked.
 
Soojin made a face. “Let’s hope so!” They laughed and Hakyeon drove off. “So, what’s on the menu tonight?”
 
“You’ll get to pick this time. I was with Sanghyuk earlier, so I didn’t get to make any food.” Soojin’s ears perked up at the younger boy’s name.
 
“How’s Hyukkie?” She asked. Though the two went to the same University, they rarely saw each other. Soojin was a psychology major, while Hyuk followed Hakyeon’s steps and majored in dance.
 
“How do you think he’s doing? Of course he’s doing great! Top of his class,” Hakyeon bragged like a proud parent. “They have a recital this weekend. We should go support him.”
 
“Sure! You think the others can come, too?”
 
Hakyeon pulled over at a stall, and they got out. Hakyeon ordered some ddokbokki for the two of them to share. They sat and waited for the food.
 
“I spoke to Wonsik over the phone while waiting for you. He said that he’s free, but Hongbin might have a date, so he’ll have to check first.” Hakyeon shared.
 
“Those two still haven’t changed, then?”
 
Hakyeon grinned. “You know them. Always a Casanova.”
 
Soojin laughed and shook her head. “And here I thought college would make mature men out of them.”
 
“We’ll have to wait a few more years for that.” Hakyeon joked.
 
Their food arrived and they ate in silence, both reminiscing their high school days. They had been a good bunch of friends then – Hakyeon and Soojin along with five others: Taekwoon, Jaehwan, Wonsik, Hongbin and Sanghyuk. They weren’t all in the same grade, but they had somehow found themselves hanging out together often since they lived in the same neighborhood. Soojin had moved into the neighborhood in her first year of high school after her parents passed away. She had lived with her aunt but was depressed most of the time until Jaehwan was able to pull her out of her cocoon. They had been best friends ever since, despite the really random combination of personalities and the age differences. The personalities she’d seen in each of her friends led her to study psychology in college. It just seemed so fun taking note of people’s personalities.
 
“Any news on Taekwoon?” Soojin asked. Taekwoon was Hakyeon’s age and was the quietest person Soojin ever met. He rarely spoke and he didn’t like standing out in a crowd. It didn’t help that he was pretty tall and good looking, though. Then again, his shyness didn’t stop him from becoming a popular soccer player anyway.
 
“I heard they’re having a break soon. They won their tournament in Thailand, so they’ll be back soon.” Hakyeon answered after drinking some water. “All this I got from their fanpage online, though. You know Taekwoon – it’s not like he’d call just to talk and tell us how he’s doing.”
 
Soojin chuckled and finished her food. She remembered Taekwoon’s call a couple of weeks ago. Though he’d been the one to call, she was the one who did most of the talking. But she was used to that. Seeing Taekwoon’s number on her caller ID meant that he was either bored or that he missed them - not that he’d actually tell them that, though. 
 
“I wish we could all have a get together this summer. I really miss hanging out with all of you. How long has it been?” She sighed.
Hakyeon tapped his chin with his index finger. “Two – no, three years! Last time we all got together was when Jaehwannie –“ He stopped. The topic of Jaehwan was one where he needed to tread lightly on with Soojin.
 
“When Jaehwannie left us,” Soojin whispered, her eyes fixed on her empty bowl. “Right after he was diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder.” She sighed.
 
Hakyeon tapped her chin up so she would look at him. “Hey. Don’t mope about that again. Jaehwannie wouldn’t like it.”
 
“Yeah, I know. Sorry,” Soojin answered. “I just really miss him, you know? He’s my best friend, after all. He doesn’t even answer my calls or messages.”
 
Hakyeon pouted. “I thought I was your best friend.”
 
Soojin raised an eyebrow at him. “You’re BOTH my best friends. But you’re always hanging around me, so why would I miss you?”
 
Hakyeon stood, placing some cash on the table. “So I guess I’ll just leave you here, then. Call me when you miss me, okay?” He walked back to the car and Soojin chased after him.
 
“Hey! Don’t you dare just drive off like that, Cha Hakyeon!”
 
“Oh, I dare! You have to learn to miss me, too!” Hakyeon called back as he got into the car.
 
Soojin opened the door to the passenger side and jumped in. “You should at least let me grab my books before you leave me behind.”
They laughed, and Hakyeon started the car. “Just tell me that I’m the bestest friend.”
 
“BESTEST? Really?” Soojin clucked her tongue at the word choice.
 
“You know what I mean. I’m the best friend you like more, right?” He pressed.
 
Seriously, what’s gotten into this guy? Soojin rolled her eyes. “You’re both the best.”
 
“Fine. Admit you’re in love with Jaehwan then. Say you’re in love with your best friend!” That caught Soojin off guard. She fell silent, and Hakyeon glanced at her before cracking up again.
 
“Bingo. It seems I hit the jackpot!” He said as he tried to control his laughter. “That was supposed to be a joke!”
 
Soojin stuck her tongue out at him. “Whatever, Hakyeon. Making up stories again.”
 
The man behind the wheel just continued laughing, this time with his eyes fixed on the road. Soojin watched him as he wiped the tears that had formed from laughing so much.
 
Stupid. Jaehwan’s not the best friend I’m in love with. If you only knew, Cha Hakyeon…