One

UNIDENTIFIED

 

Dissociative identity disorder, previously called multiple personality disorder, is characterized by the presence of two or more distinct identities or personality states that recurrently take control of the individual’s behavior accompanied by an inability to recall important personal information that is too extensive to be explained by ordinary forgetfulness. The identities or personality states, sometimes called alters, self-states, alter identities, or parts, among other terms, differ from one another in that each presents as having its own relatively enduring pattern of perceiving, relating to, and thinking about the environment and self…
 
“Strongly linked to severe experience of early childhood trauma… Hah. Not all the time. Jaehwan didn’t have such history.” Soojin sighed. She hated this topic. Although psychology was a dream for her to study, dissociative identity disorders just weren’t her thing. It brought on painful thoughts and memories.
 
The lights flickered on and off, signaling the library’s closing time. Soojin looked up from her book and glanced at her watch. “Midnight already? I forgot dinner again.” She gathered her things and left, her footsteps echoing throughout the silent hall of books.
 
Not a lot of people stayed in their department’s library after 9PM. There were too many rumors about hauntings and whatnot. Soojin wasn’t bothered, though. To her, the supernatural was pure fiction – something people created to explain phenomena they couldn’t understand.
 
There was a cool breeze as she left the building, and she pulled her cardigan closer to herself. Looking at her watch, she decided to stop by a convenience store for some noodles at the very least. She shouldn’t be starving herself when her brain needed all the glucose it could get.
 
Stepping out of the University, she saw a group of students gathered just outside the gate. They seemed to be drinking. She scoffed. It’s finals week and they’re still wasting their lives. Couldn’t wait another week, huh? She turned to walk in the opposite direction, but an arm slipped around her neck and pulled her back.
 
“So this is where you are,” a voice whispered in her ear. Soojin turned, ready to throw a punch, but her assailant caught her wrist. “Whoa there.”
 
She let out her breath, not fully realizing she had held it in. “It’s YOU. Can you not slink around like that at this time?”
 
Her friend held his hands out in apology. “Sorry, Jinnie. I just wanted to surprise you.”
 
"Cha. Hak. Yeon. Grow up, will you?” She snarled and walked away.
 
Hakyeon jogged to catch up with her. “Why are you still here at this hour, anyway? I know you’re a nerd, but at the library until midnight? Seriously.”
 
Soojin’s eyes narrowed as she turned to face him. “How’d you know I was at the library?”
 
He winked, a playful smirk on his face. “I have my sources.”
 
“Got Sanghyuk to spy on me for you?”
 
“Caught.”
 
It was Soojin’s turn to smirk. Whenever Hakyeon got bored, he most often came to find her. They had fun talking and bickering with one another. They’d been at it since they were both in high school.
 
“It’s my finals week,” she explained. “Last set of exams and I’m free!”
 
“So you’re locking yourself up in that haunted library so you can get the feeling of being free more, huh?” Hakyeon laughed nervously, glancing behind them at the University’s gates.
 
Soojin slapped him lightly on the arm. “Don’t go freaking yourself out again.”
 
“I don’t get it. I heard a lot of people avoid the library at this time because of all the stories, but you sit there every exam week like it’s nothing.” Soojin saw the shiver run through his body.
 
She rolled her eyes. For a guy, this friend of hers was such a scaredy-cat. “Because it IS nothing. There is no reality behind the supernatural. People just make up those stories as an excuse not to study so long.”
 
They walked on in silence, Hakyeon not wanting to start another debate with her. The two were opposites when it came to things like this – it was like their genders were reversed. Hakyeon easily became afraid of ghost stories while Soojin would roll her eyes and go all scientific on everyone while explaining how ghosts weren’t real.
 
It wasn’t until a couple of minutes later when Hakyeon spoke again. “My car’s right there,” he gestured across the road. “I’ll take you home.”
 
Soojin shook her head and clutched her stomach as it growled. “As you can probably hear, I need to eat. There’s no food at home, so I’ll be stopping by the convenience store for noodles.”
 
“I’ll take you home AFTER you have your noodles then. You shouldn’t stay up so late if you’re taking exams,” Hakyeon chided.
 
Soojin turned her head to hide her smile. Hakyeon was always like this – making sure everyone was taking care of themselves properly. Even though they’d all pretty much gone separate ways, he made it a point to check on each of them as often as possible. She knew it wasn’t special treatment for her, but it made her feel warm all the same.
 
Soojin immediately bought her noodles once they got to the convenience store. Hakyeon got a drink and sat next to her as she ate.
“I hope you don’t intend to be eating that every night for the rest of the week,” he warned.
 
“Of course not. That wouldn’t be healthy,” Soojin gulped down some soup. “Maybe I’ll go on a diet. Summer vacation’s coming up, so it’s time to get fit!”
 
Hakyeon almost spat out his drink as he tried to hold back his laughter. Soojin frowned and slapped his arm. “You are so mean. What are you thinking?”
 
Hakyeon shook his head. “Nothing!” He laughed.
 
“Nothing my noodles,” Soojin muttered as she cleaned up her bowl. Hakyeon followed her out and slipped his arm around her shoulders.
 
“I’ll take you home now – that is, unless you have other food stops? Or are you starting this diet thing tonight?” He teased.
 
Soojin stopped and looked straight past Hakyeon, her eyes wide in fear. He saw the change in her expression and immediately whirled around, visibly bracing himself for what was behind him. There was nothing there. Soojin burst out laughing and ran ahead towards his car.
 
“Ya! Soojin! How could you scare me like that?!” Hakyeon cried as he chased after her.
 
Soojin collapsed against his car, still laughing. “Merong! You teased me first!”
 
“Aish, get in! Let’s get you home before an actual ghost appears.”
 
The two got in the car and they drove off, Soojin still chuckling and wiping the tears from her eyes. She stole a glance at her friend. Hakyeon was all serious now. Probably still trying to calm his heart after that fright, she thought. She watched as he drove in silence, eyes glued to the road. She took in his features in that moment – a serious Hakyeon was rare to see, being the fun-loving joker he often was. The only time she expected that expression was when he was in a dance studio or on stage.
 
Soojin smiled softly. “Hakyeon,” she called. He didn’t answer. “You’re not mad at me, are you?”
 
He glanced at her, his expression still serious. He drove on in silence. Soojin sat back, unsure how to approach him anymore. The last time she had seen Hakyeon mad was when Jaehwan… She shook her head. Those are memories that shouldn’t be recalled, she thought. The car stopped as they reached the tall condominium where she stayed.
 
“Thanks for the ride,” Soojin mumbled as she opened the door. She was about to step out when Hakyeon called her. She turned to him, only to have her cheek poked by his waiting finger. He was grinning widely.
 
“You think you’re the only one who can act?” He teased.
 
“I hate you!” Soojin laughed and smacked him again. “I thought you were mad for real! That was scary.”
 
“You scared me first!” Hakyeon laughed. “Now, go on and get a good night’s rest! I’ll see you tomorrow.”
 
“Thanks for taking me home!” Soojin waved goodbye and watched as he drove off.
 
See you tomorrow? He’s coming again? She inwardly squealed as she went up to her apartment, a large smile plastered on her face.