"We Promise"

Never in Neverland

"Luhan... come out, come out wherever you are...." I heard Krystal cooed softly. I stiffled my giggle and pushed myself further behind the large oak tree I'm hiding in. Her voice was so childish, so sweet... so alluring. I'm almost tempted to reveal myself on her right now, but remembering the punishment I have to do... Nah, I'll keep my skinship with the tree.

"Aish! It's not fair, you know I in hide-and-seek." I can imagine her pouting her thin, cute lips. She always does that whenever she's becoming frustrated.

I heard the rustle of dried leaves behind me and I knew that she's a few inches away from me. Keep calm Luhan... don't breathe....

I hold my breath for at least 15 seconds before slowly exhaling through my mouth. Then, as quietly as I could, I walked around the tree and appeared behind her back. This innocent girl was so oblivious of my present. Tsk, idiot.

"Gotchaaa!!!" I tackled her from behind her waist and tickled her belly. She screamed so loud in this quiet forest that startled birds flew out from their nests.

"St-stop Luhan!! Hahaha! STOP!" she begged.

"Naaah.. Won't do it. You want my booty shake huh? You'll never get it!!" I tickled her further and I swear she just roared more loudly in laughter, if that's even possible with her tiny voice.

Krystal soon became breathless, her eyes swimming with tears. I let go of her and slumped down on the soft earth. She sat in front of me and we stared at each other for a long time. I'll never grow tired seeing her young and bubbly face. Her presence was my medicine, my reason for being happy everyday.

"So. Three more months to go huh,?" I said.

She grimaced and rolled her eyes.

"I'm not even excited." she said boredly. Krystal shifted her position and laid her head on my lap. She looked up to me with serious eyes.

"I don't want to turn 18." she said.

I chewed my lip, thinking of the best words to say. Her tone was always serious whenever we mention her upcoming birthday. I grew up beside her since age 3 (since our mothers were best friends) and that long time was enough for me know her reason why.

She doesn't want to age, to live her life more seriously, and to face her responsibilities. This carefree person who was lying on my lap right now hates anything that says "Grow up and move on".

"I mean, won't you miss our playtimes and hangouts? When we turn college, I'm sure we won't have time together like we used to. Do you like that to happen?"

"That's life Krystal. We grow." I replied.

She let out a long whistle and closed her eyes. "I wish I'm in a fairy tale. You remember my favorite story, right?"

"Yep. Peter Pan." 

"Yes.. Peter Pan and Wendy, together in Neverland." she paused and opened her eyes. She was staring far on space. I waited for her to start talking again and soon enough, she broke the long silence between us.

"They never age. I envy them. They're outside the bounds of responsibilities. I wonder how it feels like to not age and just play huh?" she flashed a dazzling smile at me and straightened up.

"Luhan, I know! Let's promise each other that we'll stay 17 forever. Maybe Peter Pan and Wendy can hear us if we just believe."

I stared at her increduously. Her eyes were shining excitedly, and her face was full of hope and anticipation.

I was tempted to ask, "Seriously Krystal? You're 17. How can you talk like you're 10?" but her expectant face made me give up.

How can I say that to the woman I love? With those words I know I'll just crush her hopes, and I am the least person she'll expect those words to hear from.

This girl refused to mature for now, and seems to be so afraid to let go of the handle. However, I want her to realize the truth, that we will age and soon move on from our childish selves. Besides, I want her to know that even if we grow old, I'll always stay beside her no matter how wrinkled her face was or how slow she walked.

Does age defines our physical features?

"Luhan, are you listening to me?" her voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I focused my gaze on her and smiled.

Just for today Krystal... we'll never age just for today.

"Forever is a big word." I said.

"Just say it.!" she said.

"I promise." 

"Pinky promise!" she held out her little finger and nodded encouragingly at me.

"You and your childish attitude Krystal." I said amusedly.

"Come on!!" she pouted.

I sighed defeatedly and linked my little finger on hers. I can't believe that the first promise I'll give to her was a lie. Ah Neverland, if only you were true.

"We, Luhan and Krystal, promise to never age." we chorused.

"And to love each other forever in Neverland." I added.

Krystal beamed at me and kissed my cheeks. 

"That's sweet Luhan." she said affectionately. Then she stood up and climbed the oak tree I'm hiding to earlier. "Come on Luhan, let's see how nice the view is from above!"

I chuckled and stood up too. Then, I looked down at my pinky and smiled sadly.

Someday, Krystal will learn to face the truth. We'lI grow up, work things out in college, look for a job, burdened ourselves from paperworks, get married, have kids.... We can never stay young forever. Perhaps Krystal knows this too, she's just afraid to accept it.

I shrugged and followed Krystal up on the tree.

Maybe I should enjoy my youth just like her. In life, age doesn't define everything. We may be old years from now, but our childish hearts will remain young... and my undying love will never fade.

 



Then if that's the case, for now... just for now... I'll be Krystal's Peter Pan in our own Neverland.