five;; his promise

The Pursuit of Happiness

five;; his promise

 

Krystal still didn’t want to accept her father’s fiancée. Sure she was nice, but she just couldn’t. The three were having a snack at a nearby café when the twins noticed their friend starring blankly at the air. Kai and Taemin exchanged looks.

 

Taemin taps her shoulder. “Are you alright?”

 

“Yeah. I’m fine.” She smiles weakly. Though both of the twins know she wasn’t. “I have to go.” She says, grabbing her stuffs and putting it inside her bag. But before she could even stand up, a girl, then followed by a girl and two boys, came to their table screaming.

 

“.” She hears Kai mutter.

 

“Taemin!” She screams. “Long time no see!”

 

“Oh, hey.” Taemin could just smile. Kai coughs purposely but the girl’s eyes stayed on Taemin.

 

“Yo Taemin, Kai.” One of the guys who followed her says. As soon as he sees Krystal, he winks at her as if his hands weren’t on a girl’s waist.

 

Krystal rolls her eyes. ‘Boys.’

 

Kai notices this and furrows his eyebrows. He then excuses himself and Krystal. “I’m sorry, but we have to go.” He grabs Taemin’s keys, eyeing him to say that he’ll be using his car, and holds Krystal’s hand to lead her outside the café.

 

“Kai looks good with his new girlfriend.” The girl says, glancing at the two who just left.

 

Taemin’s smile drops. “What?”

 

“They look cute together.”

 

 He laughs sarcastically. “They’re not ing dating, alright?”

 

The group, especially the girl, was shocked. Taemin wasn’t that type of person to curse. But the girl still smiled at the boy, pretending she didn’t hear it.

 

 

 

 

“Who are they?”

 

Krystal asks, breaking the silence in the car.

 

“Who?”

 

“Don’t play dumb, Kai. You know who I’m talking about.”

 

He sighs before answering. “Childhood friends. We’ve known them since… kindergarten. But we don’t hang out anymore.”

 

“Why not?” She looks at him, curiously.

 

“It’s a long story.”  He simply replies.

 

“Yeah, but we’ve got time.”

 

“Fine.” Kai pouts playfully in defeat.

 

Their names were Jake, Yoori, Taehyun and Hyerin. Jake was the guy who winked at her, and is dating Yoori. Taehyun was the quiet one, who didn’t speak any word when they arrived and Hyerin was the girl who was soexcited to see Taemin. Turn outs she has been crushing on Taemin for years. Kai doesn’t like her at all.

 

“It’s just she’s so clingy and all.” He explains. “I don’t want to have a sister-in-law like that.”

 

Krystal chuckles. “Is that why you don’t hang out with them anymore?”

 

“Well, that’s one of them.” He says. “Jake and I got into an argument. He changed so much when he came back from America.”

 

“Wait a minute… This is not the way to my house!”

 

“Calm down, I won’t kidnap you.” Kai laughs, glancing secretly at Krystal, who was panicking.

 

“Victoria will freak out if she finds out I’m still not home!”

 

 

“You haven’t spoken since we went out the car.”

 

Kai looks at Krystal, who was sitting beside him. Just like when they first met, he brought her to the abandoned playground. She wasn’t speaking and was staring blankly like what she did at the café.

 

“We can go home if you want.”

 

“No, let’s stay a little longer.” She says. “I like it here.”

 

Kai notices she didn’t look so happy. “You know, you can tell us stuffs. Like your problems, if you have one. It will make you feel better. Come to think of it, I think you haven’t told us anything about your life.”

 

"I haven't and I won't."

 

"Why not?"

 

"Because it's private." She murmurs.

 

"Oh come on! I think you know practically everything about me. And we just met, three months ago, I think?"

 

She sighs. “Just promise me you won’t tell anyone.”

 

 “I promise.” He nods and smiles.

 

The girl started to tell her story, a story she hasn’t told anyone.

 

 She started to tell about her mother’s death when she was three, and how she had to move to London after two months. She talked about how her father didn’t really visit her. Sure he had sent cards on Christmas and called her birthdays, but she wished he could care at her more. She also revealed her sister, Jessica, who was six years older. But just like their mother, she died a year ago. Krystal blames herself for her sister’s death. She should have been there for her. If she could have been a better sister, she could have taken her own life.

 

“I look pretty stupid now, don’t I?” She says, looking down to hide her tears.

 

But Kai shook his head no. He took her hand and asked her to stand. “From now on, I’ll make you happy.” He wipes her tears. “I will never leave you.” He leans closer to kiss her forehead. “I promise.”

author's note;; that was so cheesy ew. sorry i took so long to update. :( btw i've made a 'trailer'. i thought you might like it.