fin.

As Our Own

Kris kicked the door open after managing to turn the knob after too many tries. A little arm wrapped tighter around his neck and a hand gripped onto his tie like a life rope. He was forever thankful he thought ahead and loosened his tie ahead of time, or else he'd be on the floor choking by now.

"Are you hungry?" Kris feels her hair brush his neck as she shakes her head. "Anything my little angel wants?" Kris set about slipping her shoes off and getting out of his own. "Pizza!" Sheila leaned away enough to look up and Kris caught the little glint in her eye. "Tao would be mad. It's not healthy." Sheila's pouted like Tao had obviously taught her to.

"We can secret?" She was still pouting but her eyes were smiling and Kris almost lost his breath for a moment from the sheer cuteness. "Daddies don't keep secrets." Kris navigated them to the kitchen. He peeled Sheila off of him and sat her on the counter. She immediately went to kicking her legs so they came back and smacked the wood. Kris just ruffled her hair.

"What about breakfast for dinner?" Kris opened the cabinet to find the pancake mix. When he found it he shook it in her direction. "Yes!" Sheila's hair bounced in her pigtails from how much she was shaking her head. 

Kris started cooking and the apartment fell quiet. The only sounds were the tap running when he needed it and Sheila's feet hitting wood. Kris caught her smiling out of the corner of his eye when he went to flip a pancake. The stove clock changed to 7:00 and he wondered why Tao was late.

The food was done and Kris portioned some out and stuck it in the microwave. He sat the food on the table and caught Sheila as she jumped from the counter. "Daddy Fanfan," Sheila tugged at Kris' slacks. "Where Towel?" Kris looked down into two clear brown eyes and could see nothing but admiration. He didn't have the heart to correct his boyfriend's name.

"Working. Eat then we'll watch Cinderella." Sheila beamed at the mention of the movie she's seen at least 28 times and counting.

 

The room was lite only by the lamp in the corner and the TV. It had gotten to the part where Cinderella meets The Fairy Godmother. Sheila was cradled in Kris' arms and holding his fingers. "She pretty." Sheila pointed with her free hand to Cinderella as she danced around in her new dress.

"You're prettier." Kris cooed and bent over to kiss his daughter's hair. "Daddy stop!" She laughed and her eyes lite up like her mother's use to. She went back to the movie and Kris checked the time again, almost 8:45. Tao was officially about to be two hours late.

The movie got to where The Prince comes to try the glass slipper and Cinderella comes out. The Prince is about to slip it on her foot when the front door clicks open and the alarm dings. Kris glances down to make sure it didn't stir Sheila, who was passed out and drooling all over his hand.

"I'm home." Tao announced and Kris could hear him sigh. "Finally. There's food in the microwave." Tao came into the living room and was about to turn the main lights on when he saw Sheila. "She kept asking about you." Kris smiled first at his boyfriend then at his kid.

"Work is going to kill me. How was your day?" Tao sat down next to Kris. The movie was ending but Kris saw him smiling at the screen. "Good." Kris sighs and shifts Sheila in his arms. It's starting to get a little uncomfortable but he can't wake her up. Or she won't go back to sleep.

"Let me take her to bed." Tao helped get Kris' hands free from her little but tight grip. Tao slid closer and Kris moved Sheila into Tao's ready and waiting arms. He cuddled her up to his chest and her hands immediately went to his neck. Tiny fingernails tickled along his skin until they found purchase in his shirt. 

Tao got up with practiced ease and Kris followed, putting a hand on Tao's lower back. Kris helped navigate Tao towards the hallway because the younger couldn't see his feet. They'd softly laugh every time Tao's foot would hit something. But Kris was right there to stop the fall. Not only because his daughter could get hurt but because Tao could.

 

Tao settled Sheila into her bed and pulled the side back up so she wouldn't roll out in the night. "She really loves you, you know?" Kris leaned against the door frame and watched Tao pull pink pajamas over her head. "I love her too." Kris could see Tao smile as he leaned down to kiss her before she rolled over and away.

Kris walked behind him and wrapped arms around Tao's waist. He looked down at Sheila over Tao's shoulder and could feel how tense the younger still was. "I love you Yifan." Tao leaned back and kissed Kris. "Come on. I'll give you a massage with that oil you like." Kris pressed his face into Tao's neck and inhaled after shave.

"I'd like that." Tao smiled down at Sheila once more before Kris was backing them out the room, not forgetting to flick on the lamp in the corner as a night light.

"Goodnight Princess Lala." Tao said, chuckled and closed the door.