Phase One

Meeting a Fox

 

The sky brightest star falls in the teary night as the king’s heart throbs casing the paper on his hand as this is trembling. The queen watches his husband with the apprehension a wife hold towards his most beloved one as the king asks in a dry yell for his Uigeumbu.

“Pyeha… Royal Investigation Bureau Kyuhyun is here”

The herald says as the door opens revealing a young man, raven hair like the darkness in a forest after midnight and white skin compared to others and yet, caramel if you sometime had the luck to meet him beneath the moonlight.

He bows reverently, his eyes never dare to watch the king and the queen hides his face with a veil as soon as he enters.

“Your majesty.”

“Kyuhyun.” The king doesn’t want protocol; he wants answers as he throws the paper that hits Kyuhyun’s chest and fall on the floor. Kyuhyun bends to pick it, unwrapping it and his eyes widens.

“This is…?”

“Left State Councillor was killed. Inside his house Right State Councillor found misgivings arms and letters that points at him as a conspirator, even so,” the king doesn’t understand, his breath is uneasy “even so! He was loyal to me, never gave me a reason to doubt, and he…”

Kyuhyun watches the distressed face of the king, listening.

“He was searching for a double dealer inside the court. I can’t believe he is the one who betrayed me.”

Kyuhyun didn’t dare to spoke as his eyes read and re-read the lines wrote, effectively, it was the seal used by Left State Councillor. 

“Before he died, he sent me a letter; in that, he told me suspicious movements were taken inside my brother’s house.”

“Park Royal Prince?”

“I doubt my brother could have done so low subterfuge, but… my mind isn’t in peace, please… I order you to unfold who is behind the crown.”

“His majesty, I will need to quit my job as an Uigeumbu and transfer to royal prince’s castle.”

“Do as you need, but bring the traitor to me.”

Kyuhyun bowed; leaving the place as the king fell on his sit, rubbing his temples; the queen silently watching the king concerned.

 

☯✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵☯

 

Kyuhyun dropped his clothing, wrapping them neatly over the floor; closing the room he once occupy; and he used his old nobble raiment. Hastened steps guided him to the north, near the Duman River; a night covering the sky and a day showing the landscape took for Kyuhyun to reach the Royal’s prince castle.

A royal guard stopped before him and Kyuhyun smiled bowing serene “I come here in the hopes to be tested to be the royal’s cousin future king teacher.”

The guard didn’t say a word, he just motioned Kyuhyun to follow. The herald asked for Kyuhyun’s name.

“From Sungkyunkwan. Cho Kyuhyun comes to present his respects and wants to ask for his majesty to accept him as the prince’s advisor.”

It wasn’t hard to enter. The cousin from the king accepted him right away after reciting the first lines about morals in Confucius.

The next day, he was introduced to the youth he must teach; big eyes, pale skin, childish face even when Chanyeol already was teenager and it was obvious the youngster wasn’t allowed to visit the outside.

“I’m Cho Kyuhyun, I’m going to be your adviser starting today.”

The boy didn’t introduce himself; he just glared Kyuhyun.

“You’re going to pressure me to learn? I hate you already! I don’t want to be any successor!”

Kyuhyun blinked, the teenager jumped out to the outside, his bare feet over the green grass as he ran and Kyuhyun snapped.

“Yah!”

But the boy wasn’t there anymore. Kyuhyun grunted, using his skills as investigator to tail the steps from the youth. Kyuhyun growled when the three from behind looked equal as the three before him, no sounds asides the rustling leaves and he lost his self; pulling his hair.

Kyuhyun stopped hearing a chuckle; soft, lightly and he blinked. Kyuhyun’s eyes searching for whom was the one who laughed at him.

“I see you are lost, young man.”

Kyuhyun heard a female velvet voice and he turned dazed at the frame from a petite woman, white skin even beneath the reddish purple light, white long hair flowing with the wind.

“Who are you?”

Kyuhyun asked frowning, his foot breaking a branch and he grimaced hearing the woman’s laugh.

“What is important isn’t my name but what you will do to find the outside.”

Kyuhyun glared the woman, his heart clout when she traced his jaw with her nail and Kyuhyun breathed out a snarl.

“Do you know where the way out is?”

She smirked, her eyes were big and brown, a slight shape of red in the deep middle as she press her body to him, almost flat chest against Kyuhyun’s one who frown at the nearest of her.

“If I told you, I want something in return.”

Kyuhyun wasn’t used to mate treats but he nodded feeling’s the woman’s breathe over his skin.

“I want you to promise me to come again someday, and then I will tell you what I really want.”

Kyuhyun didn’t ask for more when the woman took his hand on hers, he wasn’t dragged because he was willingly following this woman, and Kyuhyun breathed a sweet enchanting scent.

“Down mountain is the house you belong to; go, and don’t forget to visit again.”

Kyuhyun watched the house at the distance and when he turned to see the woman, she was nowhere to be found.

 

☯✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵☯

 

“Chanyeol, just repeat after me, Confucius said…”

Kyuhyun sighed, it has been a week and he can’t make this stubborn youth to memorize even one verse!

“Let’s rest for a while...”

Chanyeol watched with his rounded eyes at Kyuhyun feeling remorse but still, he didn’t want to be used by his own father to attack his uncle the King, no, he is happy with his life and he wants no one betrayal. He just wants to be a noble with rank just by name and no problems in the future.

Kyuhyun stepped out of the room and looked at the sides before sneaking inside the forest who lead to a secret path on the house, or not so secret since Chanyeol was the one who taught it to Kyuhyun when he escaped the first lesson.

“He is supposed to be the teacher.” Chanyeol sighed taking the book and reading it.

 

☯✵✵✵✵✵✵✵✵☯

 

“Are you here?” Kyuhyun whispered brushing away a branch with white flowers. No answer and he cleared his throat, raising his voice.

“Are you—Ahhh!”

Kyuhyun almost fell, the only thing preventing him for doing so, was a soft hand and Kyuhyun blinked, it was a male hand.

Kyuyun was pulled on safe ground and he scrutinize the petite man before him; brown deep eyes with a red glint, sharp jawline, milky skin that look smooth and red wine hair, the only feature different from that woman and Kyuhyun blinked again.

“Who are you?” Kyuhyun asked and then furrowed his brows assuming “you are that woman’s brother or something?”

The petite man grinned “Who knows…”

Kyuhyun huffed, his eyes trailing the man moves, it was as beautiful as that woman and even being a man, it wasn’t muscled but skinny and Kyuhyun gulped feeling his heart racing for some unknown reason as he spoke.

“I came here because I made a promise last week; a woman told me she would ask me her real wish if I returned again.”

“So the alluring of a woman works, uh?” the petite man asked smiling and Kyuhyun lifted his eyebrow.

“What?”

“Nothing.” The petite man said bending to pick some fallen leaf as he whistled with that before continuing “that woman… I know her.” Kyuhyun widened his eyes, so they were really family, now he knows where this man took those beautiful features and Kyuhyun blush, no, he just didn’t think this man was more beautiful than the woman before, and he blinked lost when he heard the petite man still talking “she told me she wanted you to take care of a snowy fox, take care of him and when the first full moon this month arrive, you will give that fox a kidney.”

Kyuhyun widened his eyes startled and the man chuckled.

“It doesn’t has to be human, just a small chicken kidney is fine, just give to the fox that and the one whom wishes will come true will be you.”

“What if I don’t do it?” Kyuhyun asked secure this was a bad joke while the young man grinned again, wrapping his arms around Kyuhyun’s neck, sighing the words near Kyuhyun’s ear, making Kyuhyun’s heart thump in a rhythmic way.

“You will be the one whose kidney is going to disappear.”