Goodbye

Goodbye

I listened as her footsteps faded away from me. After countless days and nights of yelling, screaming and crying... there was no longer something called us. I let out an empty sigh, knowing this time, she wasn't going to be there by my side anymore. I guess now... she's really gone.

 

I turned back to the others and sat at the table with a frown. I could tell that they looked at me with sympathy, but I guess it was for the best. "Let's play."

 

--------------------------

 

(Earlier...)

 

"Why don't you trust me to go out alone!?"

 

"Because you keep seeing other guys!"

 

"That's not true!"

 

"Then what were you doing with him!?"

 

"I just bumped into him and he offered to help me!"

 

"Yeah, next thing you know you make out with him!"

 

"How would you even know I was out?"

 

"..."

 

"Oh my god.. you were spying on me! My own boyfriend doesn't trust me to even leave my house!"

 

"I do trust you!" We were at it again today. We were yelling at each other without much of a reason. I knew deep in my heart that we could have just erased this and moved on, but for some reason we still lingered on it.

 

It was only a couple days ago when I left my house to do some errands for my omma. She asked me to do some shopping for her, so I did. I walked to the store, got the stuff my omma needed, and headed back home. I bumped into someone, and he offered to help take my bags back. Since Daehyun wasn't around, I accepted.

 

Now for some reason, Daehyun is stubborn, and he won't believe me. Again, he's doubting me. This continued for who knows how much longer before we eventually took a breather and calmed down a bit. I saw how Daehyun sat there and glared ahead at an empty swingset. I sighed and crossed my arms, and stared at the ground. We sat next to each other, and neither of us said anything.

 

"What are you doing now?" Daehyun asked as I pulled out my phone and started texting. I didn't bother responding to him as I sent a message to Jiyun, a friend of ours. "Kiseul ah," again, I ignored him and waited for a reply from Jiyun.

 

She didn't answer after a while. I assumed she was busy with something and sent a message to Shikhyun, another friend of ours. Shikhyun is like a brother to me, and always looks out for both Daehyun and I. I was hoping he'd be able to calm me down, but I didn't get a reply from him either.

 

"Yah, Kiseul ah!" Daehyun snatched away my phone, and I looked up at him.

 

"Yah, give it back."

 

"Andwae."

 

"Give it."

 

"Andwae." I took another deep breath as I threw him a sharp look. "Answer me first."

 

"What do you want?" I said, almost harshly. It was enough for one day. Actually, it was enough for the past month that we've been arguing.

 

"What do you want with Jiyun and Shikhyun hyung?"

 

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, almost dramatically. This guy... "Give me back my phone." Daehyun didn't move away, so I was able to take back my phone.

 

We sat in silence again for the next few minutes before my phone vibrated. It was from Shikhyun.

 

We're all over at Minseok's place playing cards. -Shikhyun

 

All? ... I nudged Daehyun and stood up, "Kaja."

 

"Yah, where are you going this time?"

 

"Minseok oppa's house. Everyone is there."

 

"Mwoh? Everyone? And we weren't invited?"

 

"It is as it seems."

 

"It's because we keep arguing."

 

"We do not argue that often."

 

--------------------------

 

Daehyun and I arrived at Minseok's house. Neither of us spoke on the way here, and neither of us said anything still, until Daehyun broke the silence. "This is all your fault."

 

"Mwoh?" I said. "How is this my fault?"

 

"They didn't invite us because we fight."

 

"It's not like that. They're our best friends, they could never do something like that to us." Daehyun knocked on the door and I crossed my arms, once again frustrated with him.

 

Yeonhee opened the door, "Oh, Daehyun ah, Kiseul ah, you're here."

 

Daehyun took my wrist and dragged my inside, "Tell her the reason why we weren't invited to play cards."

 

"Mwoh?" I yanked my wrist from his grasp.

 

Everyone really was there, without us. Minseok, Yeonhee, Jiyun, Shikhyun, and Jinho were all here. They all looked at us with pity.

 

"Well..." Jiyun started somewhat nervously.

 

"Kiseul ah," Jinho said with a hint of irritation in his voice. "You and Daehyun hyung are constantly fighting. So much that Yeonhee noona once cried, Minseok hyung tore apart his room in anger, and it's incredible that we managed to bring Shikhyun here."

 

"See?" Daehyun looked back at me. "Even our friends don't want us around."

 

"My fault? You're the one with issues."

 

Daehyun took a deep breath, "Look. I don't want to be your boyfriend if we keep fighting like this."

 

"What, you want us to break up?"

 

"I didn't say that!" There was an intense silence between everyone in the room. 

 

"Alright fine," I crossed my arms and looked at Daehyun in the eye. "I'm gonna walk out that door, and I'm gonna count to 10. If you're not out by then, I'm going home.. and we're over." I noticed the slight movement in everyone's shocked reactions, and even Yeonhee unnie putting her hand on my shoulder.

 

I turned and headed out the door, closing it behind me. "One." There was no sound from the other side. "Two." A part of me wanted Daehyun to come and apologize. "Three." Another part of me wanted to go back in and apologize to him. "Four." Maybe this could have been avoided. "Five." Finally, I heard something. "Six." The door didn't open, and the moving feet stopped. "Seven." I could feel Daehyun standing just on the other side of the door. "Eight." I saw the doorknob turn slightly, but it stopped. "Nine." Please come out. "Ten."

 

My heart dropped as I gave him a last chance to come out. But he didn't. I took a step forward and reached for the doorknob, but I stopped.

 

It's really over.

 

I looked down and pulled away. Turning, I started walking home by myself, wiping away a stray tear that rolled down my cheek.

 

Goodbye.