CHAPTER 2 – The Court Physician

THE KING AND HIS WIZARD

Nobody POV

 

“SO HYUK, where’re you going after this?”

 

Hyukjae new friend, Sungmin asked him. Hyukjae didn’t answer him. His mind is still remembering the bloody scene he had just seen. Just thinking about it again makes him want to throw up.

“Hyuk? Are you alright?” Sungmin ask him again when the boy didn’t respond. “Ah, sorry…it’s just that I…”

“It’s okay, I know how you feel since you’re still new here, and anyone would be shocked seeing somebody head was chopped in front of them!” Hyukjae looked up at him. Sungmin seems already get used of this. 

“Min, does the King really despise magic that much? I mean, not all the people who used magic is a bad guy, he might killed innocent person you know…” Hyukjae said slowly. He suddenly already feels the fear tingling in his body. What if his secrets got exposed?

“Hurm, I know, but even though we thought like that, there’s no way we could change his mind… he’s really persistent ya know! I He said that people who practices magic always misused them for something bad, that’s why he said he will kills them!” Sungmin answer makes Hyukjae blood boils. How could the King do such a thing!?

He still remembers the scene after the sentence guy got killed. An old mysterious woman suddenly appears from nowhere was wailing loudly. Her words imprinted in his mind.

 

“There is only one evil in this land…and it is not magic!!”

The old woman came forward from the middle of the crowds.

 

“It is YOU!!” she pointed her finger at the King. “…you…with your hatred and your ignorance…”

“You took my SON!!” she shot her hateful looks at him.

 

“I promise you! Before this celebration is over…You will share my tears…”

She continued again with her tears sliding down her cheeks.

 

“An eye for eye”

“A tooth for a tooth”

“A son for a SON!!”

 

“Seize her!!” the King ordered his man but before they could do that, the old woman already disappears. Leaving her cursing words echoing in everyone minds.

 

“So, may I ask you again, where’re you going after this?” Sungmin ask him again.

“Ah, sorry…actually I was looking for Park Jung Su, the others said that he’s a court physician…” Hyukjae answered.

“Aha! Teukie hyung? Of course I knew him! Follow me! I will bring you to him!” Sungmin already took his hand before he could ask anything further. Sungmin leads him towards a big house just beside the castle. There was a small plaque with a ‘court physician’ written on it.

 

“Wait, isn’t that a castle!!” Hyukjae mouth was gape in awe. It was his first time seeing such a big castle.

“Hyuk, don’t tell me you never saw one before?” Sungmin chuckle when he realizes Hyukjae never seen one. The latter was too busy examining his surroundings. Just then, Hyukjae notice something weird.

 

“Min, why are the guards letting us pass so easily?” there were so many guards in the castle. It’s impossible to walk in and out without permission especially a commoner like him.

“Aish, you’re really slow aren’t you?” Sungmin smirked. He pulled out something under his sleeve and shows a small, silver lion emblem to him.

“I’m one of the members of the Royal guards, that’s why I’m allowed to go anywhere I want!” he smiled.

 

“Wait…WHAT??!!” Hyukjae shocked expression caused a hearty laugh from Sungmin. “What? You don’t believe me?” Hyukjae looked at Sungmin again. With his small body proportion and plus that pretty face, it’s impossible for anyone like him would be the members of the Royal guards.

“I was an expert in martial arts, I inherited them down from my father, and every man in my family has been serving as the Royal guards for generations while the woman serve as the Royal maids, I have my sister working as the Lady Jessica maid, if you happen to meet her, send my regards to her ok?” he winked. “I will leave you here now, until we meet again Hyuk! Its pleasure to meet you!!” he bid goodbye as soon as we reach the door.

I stare at the door in front of me.

 

Leeteuk, the Court Physician. Please knock before entering.

 

Hyukjae knocked the door a few times but no one answered. He sighed and opened the door slowly.

“Sorry for the interruption…Urm, I’m looking for Mr. Park?”

He went inside and looks around him. The house was in mess. Books were flying everywhere. The food was left uneaten. Cloths were scattering on the floor. But what fascinate Hyukjae more was there were so many kinds of herbs and medicine in the house. As he examines them, he hears some noise on the upstairs.

As he looked up, he saw an old man was busy arranging books in the higher shelf. He still looks handsome despite his hair already turns to white. Hyukjae who was so excited in meeting him, called him out loudly.

“Excuse me! Are you Mr. Park!!??”

The old man got surprised and lost his balance on the stairs. “Arghh!!” he screams as he fell from the stairs. Then, that’s how it happens. The nearest bed suddenly moved itself and the old man landed right on it. Hyukjae let out his sigh as the old man were saved. But then the old man flips his body quickly and went to him.

 

“What the…what did you just do?!!”

“Erm…” Hyukjae foot slowly went backward. Are his secrets that he had been kept for years going to end just like that?

“Tell me boy! What did you do?!” the old man pressures him again.

“I…I didn’t know what happened! I’ve no idea!” Hyukjae tried to escape but the old man keeps on talking.

“What if anyone see that? Boy! You could’ve your head separate from your body!”

“No, I was… What?” Hyukjae raise his eyebrows.

“I know what was that…” the old man holds both his shoulders. “I just wanted to know where the hell you learnt them from.”

“No-nowhere!” Hyukjae insist but the old man doesn’t believe him.

“How do you know magic?”

“I don’t!”

“Where did you study?!”

“I was too dumb to study!”

“Answer me!!”

“I’ve never studied magic or been taught!”

“Don’t lie to me!!”

“I’m not! What exactly did you want me to say damn it!?”

“The truth!”

“I already say the truth old man!! I was born like this!!”

“Well, that’s impossible…” finally they stopped arguing with each other.

“Who are you?” the old man eyeing him suspiciously.

“Now you were asking?” Hyukjae sighed before handed him a letter. “I was told by my mother to give you this…”

“I…” the old man stare at him.

“What again?”

“I don’t have my glasses…”

 

Hyukjae looked at the old man in front of him. He has enough of him already.

“I’m Hyukjae” he introduced himself. “Ah, Hyori’s son?” the old man said.

“Yes!” Hyukjae smile when the old man finally knew him.

“But you’re not meant to be here till Wednesday?” the old man ask.

“Err…today is Wednesday…”

“Oh…really?”

 

Hyukjae don’t know what to say anymore. He was totally speechless.

“My bad then, well, my name’s Park Jung Su but please called me Leeteuk or…”

“Teukie Hyung?”

“How did you know?”

“Urm, I met Sungmin earlier…”

“Ah, that annoying bunny guy…”

 

Bunny? Hyukjae then asked the Leeteuk again. “Hyung, what is a Court Physician?”

“A Court Physician is a trusted member of the royal court and is in charge of the medicines and remedies of a kingdom. I mostly assist with any ailments that the people come down with, but I have been known to offer guidance and assistance to those who ask for it…” Leeteuk explained.

“Well, Hyukjae, you can put your things upstairs, we will chat after this neh!” Hyukjae nodded and do as he told. But before he headed upstairs, he turns back to Leeteuk. “Look…you…you wouldn’t say anything about…”

“No…of course not stupid boy!” Leeteuk scowl. Hyukjae nodded in embarrassment and went away but then Leeteuk called him. “Though Hyukjae…”

“I should say thank you…” Hyukjae smiled brightly on hearing that.

After Hyukjae went, Leeteuk pick up his glasses and read up the letter.

 

“My dear Jung Su, I turn to you for I felt lost and alone and don’t know whom to trust, it is every mother’s fate to think her child is special. Yet, I would give my life that Hyukjae were not. Ours is a small village and he is so clearly at odds with people here that if he were to remain, I fear what will become of him…”

“He needs a hand to hold... a voice to guide...”

“Someone that might be able to help him find the purpose for his gifts,

“I beg you...If you understand a mother’s love for his son, please keep him save...”

“And May God saves you both...

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Lee Hyori

 

 

 

 

 

### Earlier I write that the next update will be about the arrogant prince but when I write this I just realize that it was not the time for our prince to show up yet because it has been too long for me, but I promise that will be on the next update!

Please forgive me ok! (bows) ^_^

Thank you for subscribing and commenting!!