CHAPTER 4 - The Dragon’s Call

THE KING AND HIS WIZARD

###Forgive me for such a long late update, huhu, so I write this chapter long enough ;)

 

THAT night, the air was cold than before. The moon was hidden between the dark clouds. And the sounds of heavy rain were thundering outside the Sapphire Blue castle. A certain young, beautiful lady stood beneath her chamber window, watching as the rains fall downs. She remains like that until someone enters the room.

“Jessica?”

The beautiful lady turns her head around and bows her head down to the voice owner.

“Yes, Uncle Yong Woon?”

“What’s this? Why are you not joining us to the feast?” the voice is none other than the King himself, Lee Yong Woon.

“I don’t think chopping someone’s head off is cause for a celebration” Lady Jessica bravely spoke out her opinions.

“Look at the poor mother…”

 

“Simple justice for what he’d done” the King talks back to her, felling unsatisfied with her answer. 

“To whom?” she raises her head to him. “He practiced magic but he didn’t hurt anyone!”

“Jess, you were not around here 20 years ago, you’ve no idea what was happening that time!” the King hold his anger. He can’t believe the child he raise are talking back to him.

“How long will you punish people?” Jessica continues. The King looks at her for a moment before answering calmly. “Until there are no magic in my kingdom…”

Jessica fell into silent. She knew there’s no point talking to him anymore.

“Put that matter aside, you will be with me when I greet Lady Suzy tomorrow” the King said.

“I already told you that I don’t want to be part of this!” Jessica refused to join the celebration.

“I’m your guardian Jessica!!” the King raises his voice at her. “So do as I ask”

“If you show me no respect, at least respect our finest singer…” the King stomped out from the room before Jessica spoke again.

 

“Your brutality will just create more enemy!!”

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Nobody POV

 

“ARE you stupid!!??”

“What if you’re KILL??!!”

“What if you’re HURT??!!”

“What if they found OUT??!!”

“What I’m going tell your mother??!!”

 

What this and what that…

A certain poor young boy wasn’t really listening to some long speech from his guardian. He looks like a little kid who getting scold for doing something bad.

“You never failed to cease me! The one thing that someone like you should do is to keep your head down! And what did you do? You behave like an idiot!!”

Lee Hyukjae just keeps his head down all the time. “I’m sorry Hyung…” he said with sincerity.

The old physicians sighed loudly. “You’re lucky. I pulled a few strings to get you release…”

Hyukjae eyes went bright on hearing that. “Oh thank you! Thank you Hyung! I promise it will never happen again!!”

 “But I’m not finished yet Hyukjae… there is a small price to pay…” Leeteuk gave him a sly smile.

Hyukjae smile vanished in an instant.

 

Lee Hyukjae never hates someone so much in his life before. But today he feels like wanted to poison all the sea in the world so that none of the fishes is alive.

All that because of someone name is related to sea….

“Ouch!! That hurts!! Throw more gently will you!!” as he said that, more rotten tomatoes were thrown at him. “Damn, there’s no end to this…” he sighed as the town people continues throwing all the rotten vegetables at him. He can’t move or run since both his head and hands were all tied down. It was really embarrassing getting that sort of punishment but nevertheless he must endure it to escape more severe punishment.

“What’s so fun throwing food at someone face kids?” he asks to several children who keeps on laughing at him while throwing again. “Yeah, yeah… thanks for the food but I’m getting full now…” he sighed. Just then, he saw a certain young lady was watching him closely from behind. The lady smiles before approaching him.

“Hi, my name is Heechul, but most people here called me Chullie!” the lady introduces herself. “And I’m Lady Jessica maid…”

“Oh! So you must be Sungmin’s sister right?”  Hyukjae smile back at her. “I’m Hyukjae, nice to meet you! But most people here called me idiot, haha…”

Heechul also laughed along with him. “No, no, I saw what you did yesterday, you were truly a brave one!”

“Yeah…or an idiot…” Hyukjae add and they laughed again.

“Well, I’m glad you walked away and not trying to beat him” Heechul said.

“Huh? Why not? I can beat that stupid arrogant fish anytime!” Hyukjae scoffed softly.

“You think so?” Heechul chuckled. “Because you don’t look like one of these big muscle fellows...”

“……….Well, thank you, I know my muscle were very much like an anchovies…” Hyukjae looked a bit hurt. Heechul quickly spoke again. “Ah, but that doesn’t matter! You’re much stronger than you looked!”

“It’s just His Highness Donghae one of this real rough, tough, save-the-world kind of man…”

“And well…..”

“What?” Hyukjae ask her. She smiled sheepishly.

“You don’t look like that?”

“……………” Hyukjae sigh before signaling her to come closer. “I’m actually in disguise” Hyukjae unexpected answer cause a loud laughed between them.

 

“You’re so funny Hyukjae! But honestly, it’s great you stood up to him, no one has ever spoke like that to His Highness before” Heechul beam at him. “He’s a great bully and everyone thought that you were really a hero!”

“Really?” Hyukjae smile widely as Heechul nodded her head. Just then, several kids suddenly gathering around them with a basket full of rotten vegetables.

“Urm, excuse me young lady, I’m so glad we’re able to talk but my fans there are waiting for me!” as soon as he said that a tomato flew right onto his face and Heechul quickly ran away from there while laughing seeing that scene.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Want some vegetables Hyukjae?”

Hyukjae looked at the person who asked him. “No, thank you Teukie Hyung, I already got plenty of it today…” Leeteuk chuckled. As they continued eating their dinner, Leeteuk asked him again. “So Hyukjae, what did you mother said about your ‘gift’?”

Hyukjae stopped munching his food and looked at his guardian. Then, he answered shortly.

“That I was special…”

Leeteuk smile on hearing that. “You’re special Lee Hyukjae, the likes of which I have never seen before…” Hyukjae throw a confuse look at him. “What did you mean?”

“Well, magic requires incantations, spells- it takes years to study them all but what I saw you do was… elemental instinctive…”

Hyukjae nodded in understand.

“What’s the point if it can’t be used…” he spoke softly, feeling half disappointed

 

“That…I don’t know …” Leeteuk added again. “You are a question that has never been posed before, Hyukjae…”

Then something flickered on Hyukjae’s mind. He has been wondering to asking about it.

“Hyung, have you ever studied magic before?”

Hyukjae question has cause Leeteuk to choke on his food. Hyukjae quickly gave him some water. After he’s finally calm down, he spoke again. “King Yong Woon has banned all such work 20 years ago”

“Huh, why?”

Leeteuk take a sip on his water before answering him. “People have been using magic for the wrong end. It threw the natural orders into chaos. The King’s mission is to destroy everything from back then…”

“Even the dragons…”

Hyukjae flinch on his seat.

“All of them?” Hyukjae asked. “There’s only one dragon that the King’s choose not to kill. He kept it as an example and imprisoned it in a cave deep beneath the castle…where no one can free it…”

“Okay, that’s enough, eat up Hyukjae, we got so much work to do after this…”

 

Hyukjae just smile and ate his food slowly. He’s already lost his appetite. That night, he tried to remember the moment when he was imprisoned in the cell after provoking the Prince.

 

“Yah! Let me go! Why the hell I’m the one who is in here? That stupid fish guy is the one who should be here!”

“Argh! Damn it! Leeteuk gonna kill me for this…” he started feeling frustrated and laid his back on the straw mat on the floor.

 

Hyukjae

 

He gets up in shocked. “Who’s there?” he asked but receive no answer.

“Maybe I was imagining things…” he sighed but then he hears it again.

 

Hyukjae

 

“Alright! That’s it! Who the hell are you?!!” he stood up in alert. His eyes scan throughout the area. There’s no one in the cell except him. He presses his ear on the floor and nothing could be heard. He was curious about the voice but then the cell’s door was opened and Leeteuk walked in.

 

Could it be…that the mysterious voice belongs to that dragons? But why would the dragon call up to him?

“Ah! Scratch that! Just go to sleep Lee Hyukjae!!” he shut his eyes and tried to sleep but suddenly a voice were calling him.

 

Hyukjae

 

Hyukjae woke up in an instant. He looked around his room before going downstairs where Leeteuk was snoring loudly on his bed. He sneak out quietly so that the court physician didn’t discover him. After that, he goes to the castle.

He manages to pass all the guards around the castle. That’s a relief though, he didn’t wanted to spent another night in the cell.  Hyukjae foots finally leads him towards the lowest part below the castle. How did he know where he wanted to go? He himself never knew. He’s just following his instinct.

As he enters the passageway beneath the castle, the voices were getting louder and clearer.

 

Hyukjae

 

Suddenly he heard a loud crack at the end of the passage way. Hyukjae bravely leaned forward, his hands were clutching the torch tightly. Soon after he arrives, the voice were no longer be heard. Then, suddenly a strong wind comes from the above and a large creature stood not far in front of him.

It stayed in place for a moment, then skittered into the moonlight. Hyukjae recoiled in shock. Standing in front of him, was a huge, enormous dragon.

 

Its scales were deep sapphire blue, it still looks shine eventhough Hyukjae could clearly see some deep scratch on the scales. The dragon fanned its wings; they were what had made it appear so contorted. The wings were several times longer than its body and ribbed with thin fingers of bone that extended from the wing’s front edge, forming a line of widely spaced talons. The dragon’s head was roughly triangular. Two diminutive white fangs curved down out of its upper jaw. They looked very sharp. Its claws were also white, like polished ivory, and slightly serrated on the inside curve. A line of small spikes ran down the creature’s spine fromthe base of its head to the tip of its tail. A hollow where its neck and shoulders joined created a larger-than-normal gap between the spikes. There were large metal chains tangled around both the dragon feet.

 

“Wow…you are…REAL??” Hyukjae were stuttering, his body and mind were still in shocked.

“I’m real young warlock…” the dragon spoke. “How small you are for such a great destiny…” the dragon analyzed him from upside down. “Oh, and honestly you looked so cute compared to any other wizard I has seen before”

“I will take that as a compliment…” Hyukjae carefully take a step ahead. “What did you meant by that? What destiny?”

The dragon looked up at him closely. “Your gift, Hyukjae was given to you for a reason…”

“You will be the one that will forth bring Lee Donghae to become a great King in the future!”

 

“……….you’re…kidding…right? Me? Helping that stupid arrogant fish prince??!!” Hyukjae couldn’t believe what the dragon is saying about his destiny. Of all people it must be the prince? Hyukjae feels he’s going crazy.

“Lee Donghae will face many threats from friends and foe alike” the dragon said in serious tone.

“Wait! I don’t see what’s this gotta do with me?” Hyukjae went furious.

“Everything!!” the dragon answered. “Without you, Lee Donghae will never succeed. And without you, there will be no Sapphire Blue Kingdom…”

“No, no way…you’ve got this wrong!” Hyukjae insist.

“There is no right and no wrong…”

“Only what is and what isn’t…”

“None of us can choose our destiny, Lee Hyukjae”

“And none of us…can escape from it…”

 

“NO WAY! You must be wrong because this Donghae was totally an idiot!” Hyukjae mouthed in anger. There’s no way he’s gonna help someone like that. He said seriously but the dragon laughed on hearing his complaints about the prince.

“Well, maybe it was your destiny to change that?”

With that last word, the dragon flaps his wings and leaves the speechless Hyukjae alone.

 

“You gotta be kidding me…”

 

Never did Hyukjae know that his destiny will come soon enough.

 

 

Wanna see HaeHyuk moment? Wait on Next chapter!! Servant or Lover? ;p