Chapter 1

After All This Time

Leo enjoyed cold nights. He spent most of them in the woods, sitting in open grassy areas and letting the wind blow against his face. It was relaxing and would probably put him to sleep if he needed any. He’s been waiting at the spot for about half an hour now and still no sign of anyone. He’s supposed to be hunting, but there hasn’t been any prey so far. He decides that he should wait a little longer before moving on to another spot.

 

Just then, he hears a distanced rustle in the bushes. He focuses his senses, trying to figure out just what he’s heard. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.

 

A wolf?

 

He takes another breath and starts coughing, the scent makes him sick to his stomach.

 

He sheds off his long coat and at his teeth. He unsheathes his fangs and sprints towards the direction of the scent. It leads him deep into the woods and he moves as quickly and silently as possible. In a few moments, he finds the creature. He can feel his blood boiling and stomach churning at the beast before him. It looks up and starts sniffing the air. Leo can tell that it can sense his presence.

 

Without any time to spare, he lunges and tackles the wolf to the ground. They fall into a grapple and Leo fights to overpower the wolf nearly twice his size. The wolf strikes his face with its paw and causes him to stagger. Before he’s even landed on the ground, the wolf is already above him, bearing its teeth to his face.

 

Leo was so sure that his 674 years of undead life was about to end until he feels the paws on this arms shift into hands, and the wolf above him shift back into a man.

 

“Taekwoon.”

 

“Yixing?”

 

Leo jolts up and pushes Yixing off of him. He leaps backwards, keeping a gap in between him and his old friend. He stares at the dirt at his feet, not wanting to see Yixing’s body in front of him. He doesn’t know how to feel. He feels elated because Yixing is standing before him but disgusted because he was a werewolf.

 

“I told you not to call me that anymore.”

“Yeah, well no one calls me Yixing anymore either. Not since I changed. My name is Lay now.”

“I haven’t seen you in over 600 years. You died. When the did this happen?”

 

Lay just smiles and walks to a nearby tree, pulling a knapsack down from one of its branches. He pulls out a fresh set of clothes and puts them.

 

“Well? Aren’t you going to answer me?”

 

Lay dusts off his clothes and crosses his arms.

 

“You can look at me now. God, it’s not like you’ve never seen a before. You have one too, Taekwoon.”

 

Leo looks up with an irritated look on his face. The nerve of this… this dog!

 

“You were always such a prude.”

“How are you alive right now? Answer me.”

“I didn’t die that night, Taekwoon. A Chinese soldier found me. He patched me up and then… changed me. I never asked for it. That bastard blooded me while I was half dead on his table. I would thank him for keeping me alive, but I never wanted this.”

 

Leo sits down on the ground with a thud, running a hand through his hair in disbelief. He breathes in again and starts gagging. All he could smell was Lay. He covers his mouth and nose with a handkerchief and tries not to choke at the disgusting scent.

 

“I’m sorry. Your smell- I can’t stand your scent.”

“I’m not fond of the way you smell either, Taekwoon. You reek of vampire.”

 

Lay sits down across him and shoots him a warm smile. He didn’t quite know what that smile was supposed to mean but it somehow comforted him. On the bright side of things, he had his old friend back. Despite the fact that he was now what he hated the most.

 

“Did you know I was trying to kill you?” Leo asked.

 

Lay was playing with the grass in front of him, just running his hands through it and pulling off a few blades for no reason. He almost looked innocent to Leo for a moment but it was only a few minutes ago that Lay was moments away from killing him.

 

“Of course, I did. But you know, you kinda at that. I pretty much had your in my hands. You’re lucky it was me and not Kris. He probably would’ve killed you before he even looked at you.”

 

Leo scoffed.

 

“674 years is long enough.”

 

Lay stays quiet and stands up. He grabs his knapsack and slings it over his shoulder. The hunt for tonight was long done and he felt it would be best that he left before his fellow werewolves came looking for him. If they found him with Leo, there was no way Leo was making it out of that forest alive.

 

“I have to go now, Taekwoon. I don’t want my brothers finding you.”

 

Lay turns around to leave but suddenly slams into the tree his knapsack was hanging onto. Leo has him pinned against it, with his wrists being held down by Leo’s impossible grip. He can feel Leo’s fangs against his neck and panic surges through his veins. He struggles against him and lets out a whimper when Leo’s grip tightens even more.

 

“Looks like your is mine this time.” Leo whispers into his ear, sending a shiver down his spine.

 

Suddenly, Leo lets go and when Lay turns around, he’s already gone. He rubs the spot Leo’s fangs were on and shudders.

 

“That sneaky son of a .”