{ 5. } Camera Obscura.

Bound Through the Crimson Butterfly

 Once his hands came in contact with the old vintage camera, he was into yet another vivid flashback...it was more straightforward than the other one he had witnessed, and it simply told him:

 This camera was all they needed…

 All they had needed to survive.

 ↻ F l a s h b a c k /☽☾/ C u t s c e n e 

 The view was blurry at first...but as the flashback played in his head, a large slab of rock on a platform or a well soon came into view. While being surrounded by trees, the block of stone was also shown to be wrapped and held down by a number of thick straw ropes hammered to the ground by pegs. What was the purpose of this shapeless stone statue...?

 A man clad in a white robe then came in the forest area, holding a...familiar looking camera.

 It was, indeed, the one Kwangmin had in his hands right now. Alerted, the twin continued to watch the flashback playing continuously in his mind.

 The man slowly raised up the camera, and looked through the viewfinder. Was he looking for something?

 He waved it around the forest area, where the trees stood mightily. Nothing happened. He moved it around a bit more, possibly looking for something that only could be found through the camera's lens. After a time, he then hovered around the area of the stone slab.

 'Was that...a hand...? A long white hand. Wrapped around the stone...no, two--three--!' Kwangmin thought, eyes widening at the sight through the viewfinder. Without it, the rock was nothing but...a rock. But with the camera...its hidden aura was discovered.

 Once the camera was locked on the position of the stone, the long white hands suddenly came to life and aimed for the man, threatening him as if he woke them up from their centuries-old slumber. Too still to do anything else, he pressed the shutter button right before they caught him.

 FLASH!

 In shock, he collapsed and fell, dropping the mystical camera beside him.

 "What was...that...?" he questioned, raising a hand to his head. He continued to mumble incoherent words...until he finally spoke another sentence that gave the brunette watching the flashback an unknown feeling.

 "This thing...is too dangerous."

 ↻ E N D Flashback/Cutscene 

 Right after that flashback, he snapped back into reality after a blinding light had shone on his eyes. After a moment to process his surroundings, he looked up and saw Youngmin and Hyejin peering at him with looks of worry.

 "The...Camera...O-Obscura..."

 “K-Kwangmin…” the girl mumbled, kneeling down beside the brunette. “Are you alright…?” she asked yet again, her hands holding onto Kwangmin’s left hand, her face still showing a look of worry.

 “I’m completely alright, Jinjin. Please, don’t worry anymore,” he responded, smiling genuinely at them. “Actually, I think I know now how we can get out of here.”

 “Eh?” Youngmin reacted, bewildered. “…You’re not going head-on with that creep, are you?!”

 “Yes, I definitely am—“he then tossed the camera in the air and caught it before it fell to the ground. “Just watch.”

 From the flashback he had just seen, he could conclude that the camera...it could kill ghosts. Like the arms of the spirits, the female ghost outside the cramped room would disappear, probably giving them ample time to escape. Though not one to follow the supernatural, Kwangmin knew enough that ghosts were the spirits of people who couldn't be put to rest properly--or well, at least the hostile ones. The power of the camera might just give them another chance to live through this haunted place.

 ...What in the world did this camera have to possess such power of exorcism? It was mystical, just like the name it was given--Camera Obscura. It had a nice ring to it, and even if the camera was rather ancient-looking (and definitely the touch of it was ancient too), it was a nice object to look at.

  Kwangmin pulled himself off the floor and, with the camera in hand, ran to the cold hard door. The door was the only wall between them and that ghost who was trying to…well, probably kill them. They weren’t entirely sure, but that stare…she just wanted to kill them…the way she was killed.
 

 Strangling.

 The thought bothered the younger twin. What if he becomes too frozen to do anything? He would be endangering the lives of his companions. It was not that he believed that without him, they are nothing; it was just that both his twin and his friend were not being their usual selves. It worried him quite a bit. ...Dammit. It was a big risk to take. ‘You’re just going to take a picture. One picture. Right. C’mon Kwangmin, you can do this.’

 Placing his hand on the door, he touched it slowly and reluctantly, not putting enough force to open it. He was only being cautious. His companions worried him greatly and if they are ever separated here...no, he didn't want to think about it. There must be some other way to do this...

 'Wait a minute,' Kwangmin thought, staring hard at the door. "The flashback--he could see the spirits through the stone--!" he said, gripping the camera tightly. And he suddenly realized something that gave him a sense of (slight) relief. Not wanting to waste the little time they seem to have, the brunette twin raised the camera up to his eye level and looked through the viewfinder; just how the flashback had "taught" him. He hovered the camera around the area of the door, hoping to see...something. And sure enough, a faint image of the ghostly woman was seen through the door. The image--he could see it with his very own eyes. It was eerily fascinating to see.

 With little hesitation, he pressed down on the shutter button.

 FLASH!

 Once the picture had been taken, the chilling aura the door used to emanate was now...gone. Like magic. Like the ghost just...disappeared. The presence they felt that was preventing them from leaving was now nowhere to be felt--and luckily, nowhere to be seen. Holding the camera in one hand, Kwangmin then confidently pulled the door open.

 And no one was there.

 Hyejin and Youngmin stared at the empty corridor, astounded. Neither of the two could speak.

 "...I do believe this is the time we get out of here," Kwangmin gently reminded them, taking both their wrists in his hands, filing out of the room and entering the dirt hallway yet again.

 So far, so good.

 Letting go of their wrists, the younger twin rushed to the wooden staircase on the other side of the corridor, opposite the room they were just trapped in for a while. He stood at the foot of the stairs, looking up the stairway, his head swarming with many thoughts. ...Thoughts about Minah.

 'She came here...didn't she? The note she had left--we should bring her with us too,' he mused, ploddingly walking up the steps until he had reached the stairhead with his twin and Hyejin in tow.

 "Kwangmin, the exit's over there," the female reminded him, tugging mildly at his sleeve and pointing to the door with slight fear still in her eyes.

 "I just want to check out something--please give me a short while," he told her, approaching the only door the second floor had. As he neared the door, Youngmin followed his brother, walking briskly. His face was blank, and was devoid of any emotion whatsoever. He had reached the door before Kwangmin did; but he did nothing but gaze at it, his stare fixated on the door. Concerned, the brother put a hand on the older one's shoulder, frowning slightly.

 "Youngmin..."

 And he received no reply.

 With a sigh, Kwangmin then turned his attention to the door, knowing that if he tried to squeeze his brother to talk...there was a chance it wouldn't end very well. He reached for the door handle, and tried to open it; but was unsuccessful in doing so. He tried again, but no use. After trying again a few times, it was only in the fourth time that he realized that there was a large lock underneath the handle. Looking genuinely interested, he kneeled down and examined the rusty old padlock. It was moldy to the touch, and obviously hasn't been manipulated with for a very long time. It bore a family crest that symbolized ginger; it was engraved onto it, and the rust it had accumulated over the years had tinted the engrave into a light copper brown.

 He examined it closely. Where did he see that family crest before?

 "...That's the one on the frayed old banner hanging from the ceiling, at the front of the corridor," spoke the blond, still seemingly emotionless. Kwangmin glanced at his brother with a weak smile before nodding and getting back up on his two feet.

 "Let's get out of here."

 And with that, the trio silently rushed down the steps (A/N: like ninjas), trying to not make the floorboards creak loudly. They crossed the hearth room, and reached the entrance--their exit to freedom. Somehow. Once there, the brunette immediately held the door and pulled it open with all his might.

 ...Or...tried to pull it open.

 The door was held shut by a powerful force, hindering anyone from coming in...or out.

 A look of horror washed over Kwangmin's face, and fear instilled into him. This was getting worse. The spirits residing in the house were rather insistent in keeping their trespassing guests here...

 He swallowed in some air and breathed, mentally telling himself to calm down a bit. It wasn't the time to be pessimistic; he had to get them out of here. Trying to look calm, he turned to his companions. Though...it seemed that they, themselves, had seen something. The look on their faces...

 "...G-Ghost," mumbled Hyejin under her breath, her hands covering her face as she squeezed her eyes shut. Her body shook uncontrollably, and her knees weakened. She relied on Youngmin, who was as anxious about the spirit as she was but still managed to stand up on his feet. The female spirit in modern-looking but tattered clothes was right there, in that very same room. She stood beside the staircase, motionless. Her long black hair covered the whole of her face...but fortunately, she seemed to not notice the trio.

 Alarmed, Kwangmin immediately supported the two of them, his arms around their shoulders. He pulled them closer to him, coming up to the shut door. "Youngmin...Hyejin..." he whispered, his tone concerned. "Don't...fail now...!"

 The two stayed silent, but they stayed close to him; their eyes were still on the spirit...

 ...Who was now staring down at them.

E n d  C h a p t e r Five.

Author's Note:
Hell yes, an update. ;u;
Oh my god. It's been...two months or so? orz Oh gosh. School really caught up with me and so did Japanese classes, and I really couldn't find time to write for this one..;n;
BUT NOW I'M BACK (for a week or something)! <3 I'll try my best to update at least twice more before school starts after semestral break. ♥
Sweet pearl. At least this one is definitely shorter than chapter four! (Chapter four had...four thousand words. o_o)
As always, the link in the shape of a moon leads to the original cutscene. I always have a hard time with cutscenes..D: xD

I hope you would all still continue to support me!
AND THANK YOU SO MUCH TO NEW SUBSCRIBERS~I love your comments as well, everyone. ;u;
And I just wanted to reply to your comments hehehe~though it's so...late. orz

@KoreanBiased: There there! ;u; N-Naw, you're probably just easily scared. *brick'd* xDD But thank you for the compliment! *sparkle* ♥
@sireanne: Yay, the camera! ^A^ Finally, they're not hopeless! *is whacked* But I do hope this chapter was to your liking.~♥
@Fakemagnae: Welcome, new reader~not too late to catch up! Hehe. Updated! Hope you'd like this one! ^v^ ♥
@DoodleDarryl: T-Thank you very much! oAo! xD I'm still an amateur, but that made me really happy.~ First horror fic?! I'm honored. Kekeke~ ♥
@LotusCassie41: D'aw, a silent reader ;n; Kidding! :P Nonetheless, I'm happy you have taken interest in my story! And thank you as well! ;u; Honored to have been the first horror story! Hehe.~
@DontDenyOurR2Pi: Love your username, btw! <3 Keke~finally updated ne! I shall put satisfy your curiosity now! (And probably make you curious again. Keke, joking~)

Stay tuned to the next chapter! ("Spoiler": Next chapter's going to be quite exciting! ^A^ Haha, what a spoiler~)
Thank you again everyone~