{ 4. } Trapped.

Bound Through the Crimson Butterfly
 The door creaked loudly and noisily as Youngmin swung it open, letting them enter the rather tiny entrance of the dilapidated old house. Once inside, the blond male crinkled his nose at the mildew smell that wafted through his nostrils. "Man...this place smells really ancient and stuff. I can't believe someone would actually live here..."
 
 "Only if there is actually someone here," Kwangmin spoke up, almost tripping over one of the large wooden planks scattered around the floor. "...You're right, this place looks like it hasn't been touched for centuries."

 "If there is no one living here..t-then w-we're really...lost and trapped...?" stuttered Hyejin, clutching tightly onto the brunette's hand.

 "No no, Jinjin, don't say that. We'll find a way out of here, promise," assured the blond, even if he had doubt in his own voice. He walked forward a few steps to approach the second door and at that moment...

  ...Through the slotted window on his left stood a ghostly apparition of a long haired female with casual but tattered clothes, apparently staring intently at Youngmin with her eyes hidden under her long bangs. At her sudden appearance, Hyejin gasped and held onto Kwangmin's hand even tighter as she lifted a trembling finger up with her free hand, pointing to the ghostly being.

 "Y-Y-Youngmin!" she cried out, rather afraid to do anything but warn her friend. "Ghost!"

 "Huh, what...?!" By instinct, the blond immediately faced the other way to see what was happening.

 "A-A..A ghost! I can see it! Kwangmin, can't you?!" exclaimed the girl, now cowering behind the brunette in fear. Both twins then turned their attention to the slotted window where the alleged spook was standing behind.

 And it was gone. It had disappeared. The spiritual being was gone.

 "...Jinjin, I really meant it. Stop kidding!" Youngmin scolded, pouting slightly. "It's not funny anymore."

 At his statement, Hyejin peeked from the brunette's left shoulder to see it for herself, and she realized that the ghastly spirit was nowhere to be seen. "What..? It was there, I swear--"

 "Hyejin, I think you need to calm down...maybe we can rest a bit here. You're a bit too paranoid," Kwangmin said worriedly, patting the girl's shoulder gently to try and comfort her.

 "Whoops..our little friend here went on a trip in the Cuckoo Express," the older twin commented while twirling his pointer finger beside his head, snickering.

 "You're mean! I'm not crazy!" she cried, punching the blond twin on his back with a mild blow which only made him smirk and laugh lightly.

 "Sorry, sorry! It's just that..."

 "I know, I know...I'm paranoid. It's the spirits," sighed the girl. "I can't help it...it's bad enough I have this sixth sense. I get goosebumps and shudder whenever I feel them too," she said glumly, keeping as close as she could to either of the twins now.

 "Don't worry, you'll be fine. You're with us," Kwangmin told her positively, giving her a thumbs up even though he was actually quite afraid of the place himself.

 "Jinjin's scared, awww," cooed Youngmin, hopping over to the two and ruffling the girl's hair. "Eh, but like Kwangmin said, we're here for ya'!" he said to her with a foolish grin spread across his face, making the girl chuckle at his silliness.

 "...Thanks guys." she thanked them, smiling brightly but still hiding behind the younger twin, shuddering quite a bit. Maybe the village really was haunted and abandoned...or was this all a trick?

 "Now, I'm going to go and say hi to the homebodies. Never seen a place so deserted and creepy!" the older twin remarked, running back to the other door that was going to be leading further into the house. "It's suspicious. You think we're in a prank TV show of some sort?"

 "I don't know. The place seems all so real," responded the younger, touching the grubby walls with his fingers. It was literally dust all over the place. 'And if I remember correctly, there is no television program dedicated to pranking idols.'

 "Prank show or not, I'm going in!" chirped the excitable blond, forcing open the next wooden door that was apparently rather hard to open. Luckily though, he pushed it open with his mighty magic powers--oh wait no, sorry. Hyejin and Kwangmin exchanged nervous glances before following suit into a spacious room with paths that lead to different areas. The center room, or the living room, as many people would call it.

 More than half of the room was on a raised platform with a sunken fireplace in the middle, with two sliding doors leading to smaller rooms. Long and thin wooden beams were suspended from the edge of the second floor, with frayed ropes dangling from them. A short staircase led to the second floor with only one room to explore in. In front of the trio was a long and straight dirt hallway with a threadbare flag bearing an unknown family emblem hanging from the beam. Everything was dusty, and torn or broken. The place looked like it really hasn't been meddled with for a long time, the air was stuffy and the three could find it a bit hard to breathe properly. Also, the whole house had a dark aura emanating from it...and their female companion could clearly sense this strange feeling.

  'Stay strong Hyejin, stay strong..' she mentally told herself, trying to look as calm as she possibly could. It wasn't her fault that she could sense the spirits...she just could. She was born with a powerful sixth sense, and she couldn't get it off her. She hated ghosts and spirits..but her mother was part of a family gifted with such a power, and thus was passed down to her. Scared as she was, she gripped tightly onto the prized talisman she always wore around her neck. As it was a special and blessed gift to her, given on her tenth birthday by her grandmother, she always believed that it had the ability to heal her and shoo away her worries.

 "I'll be fine, I'll be fine..." she mumbled to herself while holding onto her talisman. Kwangmin noticed her action, and it made him worry. He ruffled the girl's crown of short hair lightly, hoping that it would give her a sense of security. The girl gave a short nod in response, smiling shyly.

 "I'm really sorry."

 "Don't apologize," said the younger twin to the girl, grinning slightly. "It really is creepy in here though, I don't blame you...what do you think, Youngmin? Ready to leave?"

 The blond didn't give a reply whatsoever, and just stood there, staring into space with his back turned to the two.

 "...Youngmin?" he called out again before sighing in annoyance and approaching him. "Hey, Youngmin, stop ignoring us!" he exclaimed, putting a hand on his unresponsive brother's shoulder.

 At his touch, the older brother faced his twin and clamped Kwangmin's hand in between both his hands, staring blankly into the younger twin's eyes.

 And the unsuspecting brunette found himself watching a choppy flashback of someone who was apparently here, in this very house...

 
 ↻ F l a s h b a c k /☽☾/ C u t s c e n e 
 "Hyun..Hyunjae..?" murmured a long-haired female with a small flashlight, panic and worry stricken as shown by the expression on her face. "Where are you..?"

Small footsteps led her down the dirt hallway...and the scene was suddenly cut to at the end of another hallway were two young girls in gray kimonos..

 Hanging from the ceiling, their necks suspended by ropes.

 The unknown female continued to walk, mumbling under her breath "Hyunjae...where have you gone...?" over and over again as she walked further and further down the short hallway with nothing but her flashlight in hand. The scene then went from a third person view to her eye view as she advanced down the narrow corridor.

 "The Lost Village," said a scratchy voice, and the two girls appeared again, but this time in close up. They really were..being hung by ropes on a ceiling.

 'What does this mean? What...' Kwangmin thought to himself, but his own thought was interrupted by the appearance of a ghostly young man...who disappeared as fast as he came. The female then turned the corner to see a slightly open door at the end of the path.

 "Where are you?" she whispered, getting nearer and nearer to the door before slowly pushing it open. The rather heavy door creaked loudly..and flashes of a dark pit came into mind. Once the view was normal again, the same ghostly young man was standing there..as if he was waiting for her.

 "I don't want to kill anymore."

 A shrill scream followed the statement as the lady was apparently being..strangled to death in the hands of the male spirit. Flashes of a maniacal girl laughing sadistically in a room full of bloody and dead bodies came in as the woman said her final words..

 "Why..."
 ↻ E N D Flashback/Cutscene  
 
 "Agh!" cried out Kwangmin as he forcibly let go of his brother's hand to end those horrible scenes from coming inside his head. Youngmin stayed quiet as he wrapped his arms around himself, looking down at the floor.

 "What the hell was that?!" yelled the younger, frowning. "What...how..."

 "...I don't know..." the blond shook his head sadly, hugging himself even tighter. "I...really don't know..." he responded, as if he was about to cry. This is completely different from the Youngmin that wanted to go inside in the first place. What happened?

 "There there, Y-Youngmin.." Hyejin spoke up, trying to comfort the older twin who had a sudden mood swing. "What happened anyway?"

 "I don't think you'd want to know, Jinjin. And I'm serious about that," Kwangmin warned, trying to forget what he had just experienced. 'What was it..? I just touched Youngmin...and suddenly some flashback came into my head. It just...came. Out of nowhere. And those girls hanging from the ceiling...the maniacal woman..what are these things..?' he thought, rubbing his temples.

 "...I'll take your word for it," she decided, walking up the raised platform to examine more of the things lying around the place. One of the things that caught her eye was something lying in the hearth..a small and crumpled piece of paper, ripped from a notepad or a notebook and was written on in fading pen. She picked it up and felt it, running her fingers down the lined paper. 'Hmm, it doesn't feel old, crumbly or anything..' she pondered, now reading what was written on it.
 
Woman's Note #1.
{A note from a lost woman. Contains village rumors.}
I've heard rumors about the lost village before.
Long ago, a massacre occurred on the day of a ceremony, and the village was wiped from the map.
Twin Deities Statues in the forest lead lost people to the village entrance.
Once you pass through the gate however, you cannot go back.
The village eternally relives that night of death.
The insane laughter of a woman is said to echo throughout the village.
The only survivor of the massacre at the village was a lone woman.
 
 "...Lost..Village?" squeaked the girl, shuddering. "Once you pass through the gate however...you cannot go back," she repeated, eyes widening. "Cannot go back...no.."

 "Hyejin?" said Kwangmin, rather concerned on the mental stability of the girl. Ever since they came to the village, Hyejin hasn't really been her usual self, and was instead quite paranoid of everything around her.

 "..We're trapped." she responded in a shaking voice. "We're trapped here."

 "...What do you mean?" asked Youngmin in a soft voice, walking over to the hearth with his hands still around his body. Even the excitable and bubbly Youngmin was suddenly blank and downbeat. It was a mystery..

 "Look at this," Hyejin then handed the paper to the blond twin, who read over it with his brother. As the note was quite short, it didn't take them long to finish reading the whole thing..and to realize that, indeed, they were trapped in the haunted village...doomed to stay there and die.

 "I..I don't want to die yet..Kwangmin..Youngmin..is this what's going to happen to us?" the girl whimpered, shaking in fear. The calm brunette then pulled her and his brother into a comforting hug, breathing deeply before speaking.

 "Okay. I can't really tell if this is all real...but if we really are trapped...we will find a way out. We will. There will always be a way out...so stay strong. Both of you. Stay strong. If we surrender right now, we really will die here. We have each other, don't forget that," he tried to encourage them, embracing them close to his chest. 'I'm actually scared from the inside out..but if I become way too paranoid we really will all succumb to this horrible demise.' he mused, separating from them. Youngmin didn't say a word, but instead just smiled weakly back at him. Hyejin sniffled and spoke, "A-Alright. We'll be okay.."

 "Good. Now, why don't we..uh, rest here for a moment? Maybe there's some things in the house we can use..you two stay here by the hearth for a moment. I'll go check out the two rooms here," the brunette began to walk away from them, but was stopped by the two holding his wrists as if they didn't want him to leave.

 "We can't just leave you walking around alone now, can we? We have to come with you," said Hyejin firmly, awkwardly chuckling a bit. "Who knows what else this place has got. And you said it yourself..we have each other."

 At her sentence, Kwangmin beamed a little, taking both their hands in his. "...Alright then. Stay close."

 The three then went inside the room opposite the stair case, beside a damaged and old folding screen. It was quite a small room, with kimonos draped over connected wooden poles. They looked around for things that may be of some use to them. Kwangmin and Hyejin went inside a walk-in closet, while Youngmin stayed still, his right hand holding onto his left arm, scratching the area there. In the dresser there was a bottle of sacred water.

 "Woah! Maybe we can throw this onto the spirits so they can dissipate!" joked the brunette twin, placing it inside the leather satchel they would have to use for now.

 "They're not vampires, silly," laughed the girl, closing the dresser, trying not to look at the red chest beside it. She then pulled him out of the closet and back to where the blond was standing still.

 "Found anything..?"

 "Not really. I found this though.." said Youngmin, snatching another torn notebook page from the table.
 
Woman's Notebook #2.
{A note from a lost woman. About a presence outside.}
Sometimes I sense someone passing by the window.
He carries a torch, and mutters things.
He seems to be searching for somebody,
 
But it's not him.
 
In the distance, I can hear some kind of sad ceremonial song being sung.
They say that this village vanished on the day of a ceremony, and that day is repeated over and over again.

 "Seems like she put this everywhere.." commented the blond, stuffing the two pages into the satchel.

 "How did you know it's a woman?" Hyejin asked, rather awed.

 "No guy writes this neat," he answered, grinning like a fool, hoping to lighten the atmosphere up a bit like what his brother had tried to do.

 "...Then what do you call Kwangmin's handwriting?" quipped the girl, resisting the urge to burst into a fit of giggles.

 "Oh yeah.." the blond twin recalled, scratching the top of his head. "Hm..feminine," he decided with a snicker, which earned him a playful whack on the head. "Ow!"

 "...Shut up," scolded the younger brother, exiting the room in a huff. Youngmin and Hyejin looked at each other for a moment before laughing and chasing the rather sane one out of the room before he got too far.
 
 The next room they entered was the one beside the flight of stairs leading to the second floor. It was rather small, and it looked like a bedroom. A lattice was on the far left of the room, giving a view of an atrium. Behind a sheer mosquito net on the right was...a lump of...something. It was in a crouching position under a heavy blanket. It looked like..a person's body. The three didn't try to take notice of it as they walked inside the room. After they have stepped foot inside though, the same ghostly female spirit came, walking behind the lattice. Chills ran up Hyejin's spine, and Youngmin finally saw the ghost with his own two eyes, but he could only stay frozen in place, quite unable to say anything. Kwangmin was too busy observing the rest of the room to mind the being.

 Hyejin was about to say something, but was cut off when the spirit vanished into thin air after crossing the length of the window. Shaking her head in disbelief, she wondered if she really was going crazy. 'What is wrong with me..?'

 The younger twin then ducked under the rope and past the mosquito net, picking up another note piece from under a hanging painting. As he was examining the area, he now stood by the lump under the blanket.

 "Kwangmin!" exclaimed Hyejin, eyes widening. "C-Careful!" she warned, as the boy accidentally tripped on one of the boards carelessly left on the floor.

 Too late.

 The boy was unable to regain his balance in time, and fell onto the lump in a heap. While he was trying to get up from his little accident, a pale ghost of a woman in a kimono with one eye under a bandage stared up at him from the bedding, whispering incomprehensible words, as she was woken up from her deep unending sleep by the young boy.

 "Who are you..." she croaked, her low voice coming out all hoarse and harsh to the ears. Kwangmin was instantly frightened, springing up back onto his two feet and speeding away, pushing the frozen and immobilized two companions of his out of the room while yelling "Go go GO!". Once the door was shut behind him, they fled to the dirt hallway, down a short side hall. Their hearts were racing a mile a minute as they tried to stay still and quiet for a while in order for the ghost to not sense them.

 Around five minutes passed, and there was no sign of the one-eyed ghost. The three slumped to the floor, breathing heavily, believing that they were safe..for at least a short time.

 "...I...I want to go home..." Hyejin mumbled softly while sniffling, leaning on Youngmin's shoulder as she clung to his arm while shivering. She couldn't take it anymore. The place seemed all too real to be a prank show...the setting, the notes, and most especially the ghosts themselves. They couldn't possibly be holograms. She shuddering like crazy, and was scared to death.

 "Hyejin, everything will be okay..don't cry," the blond twin assured the girl, pulling her into his arms. He and his brother were as frightened as their friend...but they couldn't break down here, they just couldn't. If their lives ended here..no, it is too soon.

 Opening his palm, Kwangmin realized that he still had the note piece in his hand. He unfolded it quickly and began to read the short and hurriedly written note.

Woman's Note #3.
{A note from a lost woman. It is a short note, the words written in a rush and are rather hard to understand.}

Someone! Anyone!
Whoever sees this, look for me.
I'm trapped in this village.
HELP ME!
 
Park Minah
 
'Park..Park Minah? The name..it's awfully familiar. I can't put my finger on it though..hold on..' Kwangmin pondered for a moment before realizing that the other lady who was trapped was Hyejin's friend. He was about to go and hand the note over to the girl, but he decided against it. 'If she came here a week ago..t-then..no, I don't want to think about it. I wouldn't want to give false hope to Hyejin, making her believe that she's still alive..she couldn't have survived here. Or could she..?' he thought, pocketing to note quickly before either of the two could see it. He sighed heavily, leaning backwards onto a wall.

 When his back came in contact with the wall, the wall turned out to be an open door, and soon the boy found himself rolling inside an altar room before being stopped by his hip hitting a low table. He sat upright, patting his hurt hipbone with his left hand, his right arm on the table. "Ouch.."

 "Are you okay?!" exclaimed the concerned girl, separating from the older twin before running into the now open room, rushing to Kwangmin's aid. "...What is it with you and accidents today, you're usually not this accident prone..." she commented, patting his head while giggling lightly. Youngmin came in as well, shutting the door tight behind him.

 "Kwangmin, you okay? You're falling a lot," said the blond, chuckling.

 "I'm fine. It's just...this place!" cried out the younger, pouting slightly.

 "Don't blame the place brother! It's your fault," Youngmin teased, sticking a tongue out at him. In response, Kwangmin stuck out his tongue as well, causing Hyejin to burst out laughing.

 "You two are impossible!"

 "Heh, well..you love us anyway, don't you?" said Kwangmin cheekily, making Hyejin slap him on the arm. "Ow!"

 "...I do believe that's true.." the girl mumbled under her breath, trailing off before turning red. 'I do..love them..right..? Love..l-like brothers! Yeah! Like older brothers that aren't really older..un..' Her eyes wandered around, before setting sight on a silver flashlight on the table. She picked it up, turned it on and waved it in the air.

 "Yes! A working flashlight!" cheered Hyejin, also obtaining the yellowed paper book under the flashlight. "These particular notes are in Japanese though..and they seem ancient or something." she said under her breath, scanning the characters written on it.

 "That's great! I just hope the batteries don't die or whatever..and the Japanese book..well..go read it," Kwangmin said with a laugh.

 The noise withered down until it was silent yet again. It was only then that they noticed..the door was shaking. They could all hear the door chattering, like someone was trying to come in..

 Hyejin scampered off farther into the room, behind the low table and in front of a bookcase. To prevent herself from shrieking, she focused on the documents in her hand..which was pointers about a spiritual gadget. Kwangmin stayed in place, as his hip still hurt a bit. Youngmin stood by the door, a hand holding on the edge of the door. The older twin swallowed in some air as he put both of his hands on the door frame..

 "Youngmin!" his two companions screamed, reaching out to pull back the boy..unfortunately though, they were too far away to reach even the hem of his jacket. The blond then pulled open the door just a crack..and his eyes were met by the ghostly woman in casual yet tattered clothes..who was glaring right back at him.

 "Have you...seen him...? Tell me..." she whispered in a scratchy voice, sending shivers up Youngmin's spine. In shock, he slammed the door shut, running to his brother in fear.

 They were trapped in that room, for a hostile spirit that could take away their lives was cornering them in that tiny alcove. Was this the end..? Were they really fated for this horrible demise?

 'No..we can't die here, we just can't,' Kwangmin thought, refusing to believe it. His train of thought was interrupted when Youngmin collided with him, making the twins fall to the tatami floor on top of each other.

 "Youngmin!" the younger twin yelled, sharply nudging his brother's face with his elbow as punishment and as a sign for him to get off his back.

 "Sorry, sorry--ow! Dammit!" cursed the older, rubbing his cheek.

 "I said get..wait...what's this?" spoke Kwangmin, for something sitting on the floor had caught his eye.

 In the midst of chaos..of all the devices to be found..they just had to find a camera. A camera. A measly camera. It was large and bulky.. and it definitely didn't look like any modern digicam nor one of those high-tech ones that cost a fortune. In fact, it looked vintage. Around the lens were a series of kanji characters in gold. It must have been a rare one..

 "..A camera. Great. Of all things, a camera," muttered the brunette, taking the old camera in his hands.

 "What is that--n-no! Brother!" exclaimed Youngmin, trying to grab the camera before his twin could take it.

 Soon, Kwangmin found himself in another flashback..and he realized..

 This measly old camera...could exorcise ghosts. It could stop ghosts.

 He also knew..

 This antique camera..may be the only thing they need to survive.
E n d  C h a p t e r Four.
Author's Note:
If you got this far, I love you, you reader you. ♥♥
I just realized. The chapters get longer as the story goes deeper! o A o! I hope this one wasn't too long for you guys. ; n;
I personally like long chapters myself, but it's a pain to proofread and such. xDD [/shot'd] Anyway!
I say this again: FINALLY AN UPDATE! [/proud] I have to admit, I got goosebumps while writing. Haha~I added some things, and switched some parts up a bit. I realized that if I do it as how the game is exactly like, it wouldn't be my story anymore (and it'll be harder to write). So yay~

I'd like to formally apologize if anything is really described weirdly or is confusing..and for the repetitive words. D:

This is what the camera looks like, in case you'd like to know: The Spiritual Camera
And because I'm sure some parts of the chapter are described weirdly..so GIFs. xD I swear, I had a hard time describing the scenes, especially (most especially) Minah's cutscene with many flashes. :/
Just so you readers know, the links in shape of moons lead to a YouTube video of the original cutscene. It's better if you see it for yourselves (because I at describing)!

This is what the room with the sunken fireplace looks like (sorry if it's a bit dark ><).


Peek-a-boo.


I really hope you guys liked this chapter! Unfortunately, I'll only be able to update Chapter 5 on Friday, so..please stick around! :)
Subscribe, comment~and thanks for reading!
Stay tuned and see what happens to our little trio~;D
~Kyru