Banana Milk and Movies

The Price of Fame

///\\\///\\\///\\\

“Jeh-she-ka?” the male teen questioned as he repeated her name. The foreign word dancing on his tongue as he tried his best to pronounce it.

She giggled quietly. “Try saying it like this: Jess-ih-ka,” her voice emphasizing each syllable.

He tried again but to no avail. From his mouth, her name still came out sounding like “Jesheka” instead of the way she said it so perfectly.

She shrugged before accepting it. “It’s fine. Jesheka sounds similar enough.” Turning her gaze from him she felt embarrassed, but was curious, for asking him such a direct question. “You’re um...” she paused, “You’re going to be one of the five boys in SM Entertainment’s new group huh?”

This time it was Jaejoong’s turn to turn a light shade of red. He rubbed the back of his head with his left hand while the right supported his bike from falling. “Yeah… along with the other four boys you saw coming out of the elevator earlier.”

Jessica smiled faintly, “Oh… congratulations. Well I better get going.” She turned away from him heading back to the stop light when Jaejoong called out to her.

“Where are you going? It’s getting late… do you walk home alone?”

“No, my umma is picking me up at the company.”

“Then why are you crossing the street?” Jaejoong asked suddenly but regretted soon afterwards. He was thinking to himself why he cared so much as to where she was going and why she was going.

She turned to face him again, with an eyebrow raised. As if she had telepathic gifts, she was wondering the same things as him. They were practically strangers after all. This encounter doesn’t make them friends just yet, or so Jessica reasoned. “If you are so curious as to where I am going, I’ll be heading there,” she pointed to the intended bakery across the street.

“Sorry, if I imposed.”

“Not really,” Jessica shook her head sideways, “It’s been a rather lonely day both at school and here… if you want… you can come with me to the café.”

Jaejoong looked at the time via the watch on his right wrist. He has a total of twenty minutes to spare before he needs to be at the restaurant. “Sure, but if you don’t mind, I have somewhere to go in twenty minutes.”

“Okay,” was all she said and stepped onto the street as the sign went from a red hand to a white pedestrian sign.

Before entering the café, Jaejoong locked his bike but as he neared the door, Jessica mildly surprised him when she was standing outside holding the door open. “Thank you, but you can go in first,” as his taller frame allowed his arm to reach out and keep the door open. She complied and entered with him following.

“What would you suggest from this place?” she looked up at the menu. Much to her disliking, the displayed menu listed a variety of dishes and drinks that overwhelmed the young girl.

“Well, banana milk is a pretty staple drink—they make it very refreshing and sweet here.”

She nodded and agreed at his suggestion. She didn’t want to spend too much time figuring what to get so whatever reasonable drink he recommended, Jessica got it. After deciding on banana milk, Jessica approached the cashier and stated her order simply and concisely. The cashier was an older looking female teenager sporting a black apron and hair tied back. To Jessica, she looked neither enthusiastic nor bored when she stated the special offer they were giving away that week.

“Normally it would be ₩1683.50, but since our special drink of the week is banana milk, you can buy two for ₩2244.67. Would you like to order two?”

Jessica contemplated whether she wanted two banana milks but just then, she remembered that Jaejoong accompanied her. She turned around to face him and was glad to see no one standing behind her waiting to order. “Jaejoong-sunbae, would you like banana milk too? It’s two for ₩2244.67.”

He turned to her voice in surprise not having any expectations that she would be kind enough to buy him something.

Jessica frowned but returned her attention to the apathetic employee. She lifted her left hand and erected two fingers—as if making a peace sign with her digits. “Two please,” Jessica said quietly, barely loud enough for the two girls to hear.

“Okay, that will be ₩2244.67.”

Jessica nodded her head in comprehension and reached into her school bag for her wallet. She retrieved the exact amount and handed the won across the counter. The cashier then made the transaction trade and printed the receipt sealing her purchase. When Jessica took the receipt away, she almost headed towards Jaejoong had another employee not already presented the two drinks.

“Your two banana milk,” he replied merrily. He was obviously more enthusiastic with his job than the cashier girl.

“Thank you,” Jessica bowed and grabbed the drinks, one in each hand. She finally turned away and slowly approached Jaejoong who was still standing close to the door. “For you,” she extended her right hand holding onto the banana milk.

His eyes widened slightly as she presented him with the drink he said he didn’t want. “No,” he smiled embarrassed and waved his hands in front of him as a sign of protest. “I can’t take it from you.”

As if his motions stopped Jessica, she shoved the drink further towards him. “Why not?” she questioned before proceeding to , “Is it because you don’t accept gifts from girls?”

Jaejoong felt a burning sensation come across his face. He couldn’t bring himself to state the true reason for trying to reject the drink: because he was feeling extremely embarrassed to have had Jessica buy him something first.

His silence and lack of reply prompted Jessica to place the drink on his chest. “If you don’t want it, just throw it away.” Her bold statement immediately caused Jaejoong to grab the drink with one hand and watch her walk off further into the café seating herself in an unoccupied table. He pursued and sat across from her. Jaejoong noticed she didn’t look at him as he neared her as she focused all her attention on the drink flowing into . After consuming a small portion of the banana milk she placed her cup onto the table and smiled at him.

“It is sweet,” her delighted high-pitched voice emitted into the room.

He smiled at her expression, glad that his suggestion was appreciated, and finally took a sip of the banana milk.

“See, it isn’t so bad.”

He smirked and placed the cup on the table, copying Jessica’s action earlier. “Thank you, Jessica.”

“You’re welcome… Jaejoong-sunbae,” she had difficulty in saying.

He paused when as he noticed her using that same honorifics the second time. He glanced away, avoiding to make eye contact, and toyed with his hands underneath the table. “Why do you call me sunbae? Why not just call me…” he paused, still averting her gaze, “oppa?”

“I call you Jaejoong-sunbae because you’ve had more training experience at SM than I do. I mean, you’re about to debut. I’m just… trying to be… professional.”

Jaejoong understood though he didn’t want her to refer to him as sunbae… yet. He was still a trainee just like her and had not debuted yet just like her. “If… uh… I mean when you feel comfortable around me, you can just call me oppa.” Again, his face was becoming warmer and assumingly redder—he was starting to feel like an immature idiot. But from the corner of his eyes, he noticed that Jessica lowered her head to smile a shy expression.

“If you do not mind… oppa… I’m still adjusting to Korean culture; and as uncomfortable as I am to admit this, you are the first person to have been so hospitable.” She looked away awry, “I’m not the best at making friends or sharing my emotions.”

“You were doing just fine earlier,” he tried to reassure Jessica that her social capabilities were nothing short of acceptable.

“Thank you,” she replied meekly and took another sip of her banana milk.

“Y’know, I’m not that great with first impressions either.” he began and smiled sheepishly, “I tend to be more quiet and shy at first. It isn’t till later when I truly loosen up and express my thoughts. So, in a way… you and I are similar in that aspect.”

Jaejoong’s confession was causing Jessica to blush widely yet his words brought comfort to her world. In a homogenous country where everyone was simulated to “look alike”, Jessica was still in a state of culture shock—confused about her self-identity. But, she was grateful that Jaejoong attempted to be friendly to her.

He looked to his watch to check the time and noticed there were ten minutes remaining before he had to take off. Jessica noticed the discreet action and prompted a question.

“Where do you have to go? If you don’t mind me asking.”

Jaejoong rubbed the back of his neck. “I have work.”

Jessica’s eyes widened in curiosity, “You work? You look young to be working.”

“I’m at the legal age to work. I turned 16 earlier this year and besides, I need the money… to pay for my trainee fees and studio rent.”

“You have to pay for your own trainee fees and your own rent?”

Jaejoong nodded.

“Oh,” she elicited a lame response.

“I don’t usually tell people this, but since you and I are...” Jaejoong tried to concentrate on something else avoiding as much eye contact from Jessica as possible, “becoming friends, I feel comfortable sharing you this. I moved to Seoul a little more than a year ago leaving behind my hometown: Gongju, Chungcheongnam-do. Since I have no family here, I have been working to support myself.”

Jessica felt a tang of pity deep inside her. A feeling she barely had, probably because she wasn’t willing to share people her problems and emotions and in return, they didn’t either to her. Jessica thought to herself that pity was a rather strong and negative word instead; she found her emotions for the boy more sympathetic than pity. Jessica continued her train of though. It must have been difficult for the boy to have separated from his family for more than a year now. God knows how Jessica would have felt if she was in his situation—she would have cried every day, barely able to look presentable unlike him who looked completely at ease. Her parents, her family, were everything to her. Their income was copious and Jessica always had money to spend though she would never associate herself as a spoiled daughter. Heck, Jessica even thought that all parents were paying for their children’s fees, food, and housing until now.

When Jessica had not responded to Jaejoong after sometime, he spoke up so that she could hear him (obviously lost in her thought). “Jesheka,” she looked up at him as her name was being said, “I don’t want my financial troubles to change the way you think of me.”

She shook her head, much to his relief. “No Jaejoong-oppa. We are friends right? I don’t care about that stuff.”

He smiled, a smile that displayed his white pearls and unconsciously, he grabbed for his wallet from the pockets of his jeans. He pulled out a ticket and slid it over the table towards Jessica. “Please, take this. For the banana milk.”

Confused, Jessica looked at the small slip of paper that read “movie ticket”. “What is this?”

“It’s a movie ticket. Maybe as friends, we can go to COEX mall and watch a movie? I can show you around Gangnam-nu.”

Jessica picked up the movie ticket and carefully inspected it. “Just as friends right?”

Jaejoong looked at her, trying to restrain a shy smile. “Y-yes. Of course! Only friends.”

She nodded her head while biting her lower lip, excited about the idea of a hangout with a Korean native. Her first time going out with a friend and having plans with someone other than family trips. “Sure, it sounds like fun. I could use it.”

He was ecstatic to hear her agree, but he had to go now. “Awesome! Trust me, it will be fun! How about this weekend? I can meet you at your place and we can walk or take the bus to Gangnam-nu.”

“We can meet at COEX mall. It’s easier for the both of us.”

Jessica nodded in agreement and stood up from the seated position. “Sorry Jesheka, I have to work now.” As he left, he grabbed the cup of banana milk and finished it in one gulp. He headed towards the door but before he made his exit, Jaejoong shouted from where stood and then left: “Pick a movie to watch Jesheka!”

Jessica quietly laughed in response before proceeding to finish her cup. Once consumed, she placed the empty container on the table and as she headed through the door, Jessica threw the receipt into the a nearby trashcan. Heading back to the SM building, she started to think about what genre of movie to watch.

Pedaling his bike to the restaurant he worked at, Jaejoong stared foreword with a content smile on his face. He never planned on “hanging out” with Jessica, but when he fell off his bike earlier and she had come to him in concern, his heart leapt and his body wanted to follow hers. He internally admitted to himself that Jessica was indeed cute. Extraordinarily cute. Just like most teenagers his age, he was easily attracted to pretty girls—and Jessica was one of them. But, he had to remind him that she was far too young to be dating. If he had to guess, she was two or three years younger. Still, if life had somehow led them to be a couple, then Jaejoong wouldn’t mind. He smiled devilishly and then sighed; content with how things turned out. Going to COEX mall, hanging out, becoming friends, watching a movie.  

“Oh .” He cursed to himself, “A movie? Pabo! I was supposed to go watch that action movie with the guys. How could I forget about that? Changmin gave it to me and I carelessly gave it away.” Jaejoong was starting to worry. When is he able to go to the movies with Jessica and another time with his buddies? “Maybe I’ll go on Saturday with Jessica and then on Sunday, Changmin and the boys.” He nodded and decided this was the best course of action.

///\\\///\\\///\\\

-The Next Day at SM Ent.-

“Project louder and enunciate clearer,” the vocal coach shouted and continued, “This is your homework. You boys are excused.” He made motion as his hand shooed them out the door. Jaejoong, Changmin, Junsu, Yunho, and Micky headed towards the elevator that would lead them to the first floor and then the cafeteria. They were all parched as vocal training had caused their throats to become dry.

“So hyung, did you pick a day yet?” Changmin asked Jaejoong from behind the three boys.

“Oh, yeah I did. I was planning on telling you sooner or later. How’s this Sunday?”

“Sunday? Sorry, I can’t do this Sunday… my church is having service followed by volunteer the entire day. What about Saturday instead? I have already consulted Junsu, Yunho and Micky and they’re free the entire day.”

Jaejoong panicked momentarily but instead decided to reverse the original plan. Saturday with the guys and Sunday with Jessica. How easy was that? “Sure, Saturday works best.”

Changmin smiled, his lips stretching from cheek to cheek. “Awesome!”

“We’re still gonna watch that action movie right?”

“Yup!”

The boys neared the cafeteria entrance until someone caught their attention upon their exit. It was Jessica. Jaejoong began to feel knots in his stomach praying that Yunho wouldn’t bother her.

“Hey!” Yunho shouted when he recognized her. Damn it Yunho, Jaejoong thought to himself.

“Ah,” Jessica responded in shock, caught by surprise. “You’re Yunho-sunbae right,” she bowed at him and the other two boys beside him.

“Yup, that’s me. I-I mean we never got your name.”

Jessica rose into a straight posture, “Oh sorry, I’m Jung Jessica.”

“Jesheka?” Yunho and Junsu asked in unison, with the wrong pronunciation much like Jaejoong.

Jessica giggled in response at their attempt to say her English name.

“Jessica,” Micky said with ease and proceeded with an English conversation, “Are you from America?”

“Oh,” Jessica replied in mild astonishment, “Y-yes, I am. Are you from America too?”

Micky smiled and nodded. “I lived there shortly. I’m Micky Park.”

“Nice to meet you Micky,” Jessica began to smile but Yunho frowned.

“Hey,” Yunho spoke in Korean, “You two can speak perfect English. That’s not fair, we can’t understand!”

Micky rolled his eyes while Junsu introduced himself. After Junsu and Jessica exchanged their greetings, Changmin and Jaejoong slowly approached the conversations. When Jessica noticed the two, her eyes widened acknowledging Jaejoong’s presence.

“Jaejoong-oppa!” her sweet high-pitched voice ringing in delight and familiarity.

“Hi Jessica,” he replied calmly, but the other four turned their heads to him. Confused as to how and when the two got comfortable.

“You two know each other? Just yesterday, you two looked like stranger,” Junsu pointed at them.

“Yeah, I ran into her yesterday, and we began to talk,” Jaejoong said directly hoping to end the conversation as soon as possible. He was afraid that Jessica would bring up the movie and if she did, he would feel so embarrassed, he wouldn’t know what to say.

“Jaejoong-oppa, about the movie this weekend, how does Saturday work for you?”

Damn… damn it all, Jaejoong thought to himself. He could feel his face getting redder and the eyes of his friends enlarged so wide that they could fall out any moment. He scratched the back of his head with his right hand while his left hand in his jean’s pocket. “Well, I… uh… this Saturday, I—”

“He’s going to the movie with us,” Changmin interjected with a friendly smile, “but you’re more than welcome to join us! We’re all close friends, so if you know Jaejoong, then you know us too.” He pointed at himself and the other three boys after speaking.

Jessica looked from a speechless Jaejoong to the four boys and back to Jaejoong, hoping he would say something.

“Sorry, I never introduced myself. I’m Shim Changmin,” he bowed.

“Uh, I’m Jung Jessica,” she bowed as well.

“Jesheka?”

She smiled again about to speak but was interrupted by Jaejoong who finally found some words to say. “Well, if you don’t mind going with the rest of them—”

“Hey!” Yunho protested when he was referred to as “them”.

“—you can join us on Saturday? But if you’re uncomfortable with the five us, you and I can go another time. ” Jaejoong finished.

Jessica shook her head although Jaejoong wondered which part of the request she was saying no to. She finally proclaimed her decision, “I don’t mind going with you guys.”

“Really?” four of the five boys asked, Changmin not being one of them.

“Nope. Really… but I’m gonna need the time.”

The boys remained quiet, unsure themselves.

Taking the silence of their uncertainty, Jessica began to steps backward. “Well, whenever we see each other again, one of you guys can tell me the time. Sorry, but I have to go; I have dance practice,” she smiled, bowed, and left them without turning a glance back.

All eyes were on Jaejoong again who only ignored their stares and headed into the cafeteria. “What the hell Jaejoong?” he heard Yunho call to him from behind followed by their footsteps.

///\\\///\\\///\\\

A/N: Second update and some interaction! Hope you enjoyed it. The drama and time jump will occur a little later than I had expected however, thank you in advance for reading (The 130+ views are most appreciated), commenting and subscribing! Take care!!!