The New Girl

The Price of Fame

Note: I copied and pasted this chapter from my Microsoft Word document.

Read and Enjoy (don't forget to comment)!

///\\\///\\\///\\\

“One two three four five six seven and eight… raise your arms higher!”An older man shouted as he and five younger males moved in front of a large mirror that occupied two of the room’s walls. “Raise your right arm like this,” he moved his right arm so that it was above his head and crossed his forehead, “while the left arm down across the your chest.”

The 5 younger boys copied the choreographer before them with intense concentration. The boys dancing were similar in age approximately 14-16. All had the similar shade of black hair but the length varied between them. They have been dancing for one and a half hour with one ten minute break. God, I’m so tired… This is choreo is so tiring one of the boys thought to himself. What am I going to eat tonight? What’s left in the fridge? Aish, I have work tomorrow morning too. I’m going to be so sore.

“Jae, pay attention!” The choreographer shouted at him.

“Sorry…” the boy named “Jae” lamely responded.

“If you guys can keep this up for 30 more minutes, we can take a 15 minute break and end at 5. Cool?” The instructor chided them.

“Yah!” they called out in unison.

They continued dancing for the next 30 minute and just as they were told, the choreographer allowed them a 15 minutes rest. The instructor stepped out of the room and headed towards the bathroom leaving the boys to converse amongst themselves.

“Wah, he’s so strict!” one of the boys cried out, “Much harsher than the guy two weeks ago. My arms are so sore from holding them in the air for so long.”

“Yah! Junsu! Stop whining, the choreo isn’t even that bad,” another one yelled from across the room.

“That’s easy for you to say Yunho, dancing comes naturally for you,” Junsu fired back.

“Yeah I’m good,” Yunho cockily but jokingly agreed.

“Conceited,” Another one coughed but said it clear enough so that Yunho could hear.

“Micky do you have something to say?”

“Oh, I think you heard me,” Micky replied with a smile on his face. Micky and Junsu enjoyed teasing Yunho even though he was their hyung. The three continued to exchange friendly insults while the other two boys sat on the bench located at the back conversing with each other.

“Hey hyung, do you want to watch that new action movie that came out last week? You know the one where the dad is a secret agent and has to save his family from terrorists.”

Jae contemplated for a bit before simply asking, “When?”

“Whenever you’re free. I know that you have work tomorrow morning. I asked the other guys already and they wanted to watch it as well, but we’re willing wait till you’re free.”

Jae debated whether he really wanted to go not. He definitely wanted to watch the movie with them, his friends, but he needed to save money as much as he can to pay for his apartment’s rent, food, and trainee fees. His parents sent him money every weekend, but he asked only small amounts of won from them. He hated having to ask his parents for money because they had their own bills to worry about as well. But the question remained; does he want to spend money watching the movie?

“Hyung,” the other boy started, “If you’re low on won, I’ll be more than happy to pay for your ticket.”

Jae immediately looked at him with eyes widened, “Changmin… I can’t ask that from you. Thank you.” Jae couldn’t help but admire Changmin’s selflessness even when he was the maknae of the group.

Changmin smiled, “I was afraid that you would refuse accepting my won, but here take this instead.” He handed Jae a ticket that read “Admit One”.

Jae took the ticket from him and looked at it questioningly, “What’s this?”

“It’s an admission ticket. I bought it yesterday. All you have to do is come with us and present it to them. It works just like any other ticket.” Changmin grinned like a dork.

“Aish Min, why’d you have to do this? But thank you… I’ll let you know tomorrow when I’m free to go.” Just then, Jae looked up towards the windowed wall and noticed one of the company representative leading two young girl and their parents. The older girl turned her head towards the room and immediately their eyes locked. Her eyes widened in shock while his in curiosity, but he felt embarrassed and looked down. Don’t come in here, don’t come in here, don’t come in here Jae thought to himself. And just as cruel as fate was, the door opened and revealed the 5 guests.

“This is one of the many rooms that our trainees practice in in preparation of debut. Here are 5 potential boys that our company is planning on debuting within a year or two,” The representative stated and turned from the family to the boys, “Obviously, they are taking a break.”

Yunho, Jae, Micky, Junsu and Changmin all stood when being talked about and bowed 90 degrees.

“They’re so synchronized,” they heard the mother say.

The boys were expecting the family, specifically the girls who they expected to be new trainees, to introduce themselves but they never did. Just then, the choreographer returned and bowed to the representative when entering the room.

“Ah, this is Lee Kang Dae. He is one of our companies many choreographers.”

“Hello, I am Lee Kang Dae.”

This time, the family bowed their heads in respect to the man’s title unlike before.

“Please Mr. and Mrs. Jung; we will now finish the rest of the tour. If you will follow me,” The representative gestured towards the door and led them out. The older sister examined the room and stared at each boy quickly from right to left. Strangers to her, she skimmed their faces starting from Micky to Junsu (both of whom were leaning against the wall) to Yunho (who was standing in the center of the room) and finally towards Changmin and lastly Jaejoong (both sitting). Before turning her head away from the last boy’s face she gave him a quick but small smile and left the room.

The boys shifted their gaze from the family back to their instructor, but Jaejoong could have sworn he saw the older sister smile at him upon leaving. Did she just smile at me? Jaejoong reassured himself with a grin.

“Yah! Jae, why are you smiling like an idiot?” Junsu bumped into him, “Do you know those girls?”

“No, of course not.”

“The older one is kinda cute huh?” Yunho quietly whispered to them.

“Hey three musketeers, let’s dance yeah?” Kang Dae mockingly asked them. Junsu and Jaejoong rolled their eyes at Yunho and went closer to the instructor.

“What?” Yunho cried after them and followed nonetheless.

///\\\///\\\///\\\

“Hey Jessica, the boys were kinda cute huh?” the oldest female said as she lowered herself towards her daughter.

“Umma!” The young Jessica detested.

“What? I’m just looking for your future husband. One of these boys is bound to become a rich and successful celebrity. He will be able to support you and you'll never have to be in financial debt,” Jessica’s mom said with a mischievous but teasing smirk.

“Umma, please!” Jessica responded embarrassingly.

The company representative ended the tour and turned around facing the family, “Mr. and Mrs. Jung, do you have any further questions regarding SM Entertainment’s credibility and work ethics?”

The parents looked at each other and mutually agreed no more questions existed between them. “We have no more questions. Thank you Mr. Cho for giving us a tour of such a lovely company. I’m sure my Jessica will work very hard here.”

Mr. Cho bowed, “In two days, Jessica will have her first vocal training with Kim Jo Han.” He turned to look at Jessica, “Please remember his name when you come on Wednesday.”

Jessica nodded.

///\\\///\\\///\\\

Two days passed and Jessica went back to the SM company, but this time, she came alone. She felt a lot more nervous when stepping through the large glass doors without her family's presence. Being around her family made her feel secure, comfortable, and herself. She didn’t have to put an invisible wall around herself to distance others from her. Jessica knew she was bad at expressing herself and that she was never the life of a party and she didn't know whether she liked that about herself or not. But, only when she was around very close friends did she express her genuine feelings.

She walked up towards the front desk, brought out a note card with a name on it and asked for a “Kim Jo Han”.

The lady looked up from the computer and asked for Jessica’s name.

“Jessica Jung,” Jessica uncertainly said but affirmed herself, “Jung Jessica or Jung Soo-yeon.”

The woman looked at the computer screen, typed her name and made a phone call.

“Kim Jo Han is expecting you on the third floor in room 303,” she replied unenthusiastically.

“Thank you,” Jessica bowed and headed towards the elevator. She straightened her school uniform’s skirt and top. "It’s so cold in this company when it’s so warm outside. They should turn down the AC.” She nodded to herself and pressed the “up” button on the wall by the elevator. She waited for the “ding!” sound and when it finally came, the door opened to 5 laughing boys. It’s those boys from two days ago she thought to herself immediately recognizing their faces. She and the 5 boys immediately looked at each other and Jessica stepped to the side and lowered her head—paying respect to the older boys and to hide her face so that they wouldn't say anything to her.

The boys in turn lowered their heads and stepped out one by one. However, the last boy to step out introduced himself before her, “Hi, I’m Jung Yunho.” The other 4 boys turned their heads to see what mischief Yunho was doing but also to hear her introduce herself.

Jessica looked at the boy named “Yunho” before her and then to the other boys staring at her. She immediately felt herself blush when seeing 10 eyes all gaze at her. “I’m uh… Ahh!” Just then, the elevator door was about to shut but in one swift motion, Jaejoong stopped it from closing completely and held it opened for her. She quickly got inside the elevator but manage to say “please excuse me, I’m late” to Yunho and “thank you” to Jaejoong before getting in. She pressed the button with “3” on it and then the “close door” button. She avoided looking at them while the elevator door closed because she couldn’t handle the embarrassment any further.

When she was gone, Jaejoong looked at Yunho and scolded him, “You made her late Yunho. Stop flirting with girls.”

Yunho only laughed and followed Junsu, Micky, and Changmin towards the company’s cafeteria.

///\\\///\\\///\\\

“Aiyah, my throat is sooo sore,” Jessica cried aloud as she rubbed . Today she was only scheduled to practice with Kim Jo Han and tomorrow she was set to practice with other trainees in the dancing rooms. Aigh, I don’t want to meet all those strangers tomorrow. They’re gonna stare at me as the ‘New Girl’. I hate being the new girl. She was practicing with the vocal coach for 2 and a half hours and now she was about to go home. Right after leaving vocal lessons, Jessica texted her mom to come get her at the company but she figured it would take her mom at least 20 minutes to arrive. I need to drink something with honey. I wonder where the cafeteria is Jessica wondered to herself. She was about to ask the front office woman, but noticed it was empty. Great! I remember seeing a café across the street, I guess I’ll just go there. Jessica exited the building and noticed the sun setting. She looked at her watch and it read “5:40”. “I guess it would be late since I did come after school.

She arrived at the stop sign and pressed the button to let the lights know she wanted to cross the street. She waited and noticed she was the only person crossing the street. How embarrassing. After another 30 seconds of boredom and waiting, she looked around again and just as she turned her head over her right shoulder, she made direct eye contact with the boy again—the boy who held the elevator door. He was coming her way pedaling his bike and didn’t notice a woman walking in front of him.

“Watch it!” The woman shouted.

Acting immediately, and not thinking carefully, Jaejoong swerved his bike to the right, lost his balance and fell.

“Oh my god,” Jessica called out in English. She ran towards the fallen boy and asked him to see if he was okay. “E… excuse me, are you alright?” She asked in her high pitched voice.

“Ah, Ow!” Jaejoong replied as he pushed himself off the floor with his hands. He squeezed his eyes and made multiple facial expressions to see which part of his face felt the most pain; fortunately, it didn’t hurt as bad as he expected. He looked up and saw that girl again… she was staring at him.

“Are you alright?” Jessica repeated again.

“Yeah, my face is fine I think… but I think my hand received more damage from the fall.” He looked at his hands and saw the light pink and red wounds surfacing on them. He frowned and showed them to the girl standing in front of him. “What do you think?”

Jessica observed them, “We should wash your hands, uh I mean you should wash your hands. I didn’t mean to wash them for you.” Jessica bashfully chuckled towards the end.

“I’m Kim Jaejoong by the way. Thank you for checking on me.”

Jessica met his eyes with hers and immediately averted her gaze so that it was looking at everything but him. “I’m Jung Jessica,” she replied flatly.

///\\\///\\\///\\\

A/N: And they meet! Wonder how this will go? Well, I'll give you a heads up, the story will advance 10 years in a couple of chapters and then the drama-fun-filled-festival will begin.

Jeez! After reading some Jessica and Jaejoong fanfics, I've been wanting to write one and now, here you go! Though I must admit, I got into Kpop after the TVXQ controversy and subsequentially, the split. It's a little depressing though because I really like them as 5 even though Changmin and Yunho are just as great (sigh). But as for SNSD! They're my bias Kpop act (though not the first one that I was introduced to) that I've grown loved non-stop. I don't have a bias in the group because I can cheesily say I love them all just as equally as one girl from the next. However, because of my fascination with Jaesica as of late, she's been ruining that peaceful harmony. Still, I hope you enjoyed this!