Chapter 7

His Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jaeyoon propped his elbow on the window and watched the blurry sceneries that they were passing by. He wished this afternoon did not come as quickly as it did. Having to play normally with the other children was just like a dream come true for him. He thought this time would never come – his mum letting him play on a public playground and the Korean children accepting him without a slice of judgement. And to think this happened partly because of his Uncle Taengoo’s incredible persuasion skills... he couldn’t thank him enough. They’ve only met a few days ago but he felt like he trusted him already.

A smile etched on his face as he remembered what had happened earlier in the playground. He didn’t want it to bother him but he saw a girl – six years old as the other children told him – she was timid and she just stayed seated under the tree; she was beautiful though. He did not know what her name was but... he’s curious about her – did being curious about her make her his ‘crush’?

Oh... Crush. Uncle Taengoo told him about that. He said when you find someone really pretty and you feel your heart trembling at her sight – it’s called ‘crush’. He also told him that having a crush made you feel really, really good. Could he make her his crush then – since he wanted to feel really, really good?

He then looked away from the window and looked at his mum. “Mommy?” he called and his mum replied with a hum. He bit his lip as he tilted his head. He was thinking thoroughly if he could ask this to his mum. It’s a bit silly and ridiculous... he’s afraid his mum would just tell him off. Well, he’s not really the closest to his mum... Maybe he could just tell it to his dad... or maybe tomorrow when he sees Uncle Taengoo.

“No – nothing mommy...” He shook his head lightly, still in doubt.

Well... maybe – actually yes.

“Mommy,”

“What Jaeyoon?” His mum spared him a quick glance; the crease on her forehead screaming irritation. Jaeyoon bit his lip again before sighing. Probably it’s better not to since it’s his mum after all.

“I love you.” He just muttered.

He looked down, ready to hear his mum scolding him again. He knew it was not the best to disturb her while she’s driving. She said that to him – emphasised even. He thought it was because she nearly bumped the car she was driving before – when he was still in her tummy – his daddy told it to him once.

He put down his knees when he heard the tires screeching and their car coming into a stop. He watched his mum who was unbuckling her seatbelt before looking at her face expectantly.

Where were they?

Why did they stop?

He wanted to ask those questions badly – but in second thought, it’s better not to.

“Unfasten your seatbelt,” she said and immediately did it as he was told. He looked outside and confusion quickly etched his face.

They were in front of his daddy’s building. He only went there once, with his dad, never with his mum. She always said his dad was busy.

So what could be the reason they’re here?

“Mommy Jessi?” he tilted his head and showed a curious expression to his mum. He hoped she would get what he meant.

His mum looked at him with... a smile? Mommy Jessi’s smiling? His mum? Mommy Jessica?

He felt his mouth gaping in shock; his eyes wide that they seemed to bulge out of their sockets.

What in the world was happening right now? Don’t get him wrong, it’s not the first time he saw her mum smile but it was actually the first time she smiled at him like that – her eyes were twinkling as if she’s really happy.

“Jaeyoon, look outside,” she continued to smile while pointing outside. Jaeyoon grinned and peeked out the window.

It was snowing – the first snow of the year.

Oh! It’s nearly Christmas! How could he forget?!

Suddenly, Jaeyoon leaped out of his seat and embraced his mum tightly. Oh sugar, it’s like... the best day ever! It’s also the first time he spent the first snow with his mum! He felt so happy – like extremely happy he felt his stomach flipping backwards!

“Mommy, it’s the first snow!” He exclaimed after he pulled out. His mommy Jessi still has a smile on her face.

“I know.” She tapped his head. “Wear your coat and let’s see your daddy alright?”

Jaeyoon’s eyes quickly widened at the mention of his dad. Did his mum just say they’re going to meet his daddy Yul?!

Wow.

The word he could only think of right now – wow.

Snapping out of his daze, he immediately wore his winter coat and ran outside the car. His mum made sure to lock the car first before they entered the building.

He didn’t know why his mommy was doing these nice stuffs to him... but he could just enjoy and cherish it for who knows, maybe it’s just for today?

 

***

 

As soon as his mum opened the door of his dad’s office, Jaeyoon, as quickly as his short legs could, ran over to his dad and locked his limbs tightly around his neck. He nestled his face on his dad’s chest as daddy Yul hugged him back. They stayed like that for a while.

“Daddy, we came to visit you!” Jaeyoon excitedly shouted as he settled on his dad’s lap.

Daddy Yul chuckled and ruffled his hair. “Really? Oh my God, you came to visit me! I didn’t know!” His dad’s remark reeked of sarcasm so Jaeyoon decided to pretend as if he was deeply offended. He then heard his dad’s laughter again.

“Come on, munch kin! Stop sulking, we’ll eat in a buffet, how’s that?”Jaeyoon nodded eagerly before Daddy Yul lifted him up and started to stroll outside. “You wanna go, Jess?”

His mum nodded and the three of them took a quiet walk to the nearest buffet restaurant.

The three of them were eating silently on their table until Jaeyoon decided to say something. He knew no one would say anything until he’s the one who initiated it.

“Daddy Yul, how many... hmm... days left before Christmas?” He asked as he chewed on a lettuce. He noticed his mum widening her eyes at him so he quickly swallowed the lettuce and asked the same question again.

“Just one more week, munch kin.”

Jaeyoon subtly sighed. He patted his dad’s arm and quickly made his way on his lap. He stared at him... “Daddy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter