RECAP + END SUMMARY

When Shadows Fall ---> (ON HIATUS)

If you’ve reached this update, it means you’ve read my blog post. If you haven’t read my blog post, I would suggest going there first and then returning here. That post will explain why I am recapping this story and addressing where this story was headed.

 

Warning: Spoilers Ahead!

 

 

Key Words:

Daver – a person who was turned after dawn. A half-blood nightwalker. Because Davers are only half-bloods, they can walk in the sun, control their cravings, and cannot turn humans. They can also turn back into humans, although this process is highly unknown and is widely considered a myth.

Niver – a person who was turned after dusk. A pure-blood nightwalker. Nivers are extremely sensitive to the sun and tend to have heavy cravings for blood. They can also turn humans into nightwalkers. The only way for a Niver to die is for it to stay under direct sunlight for an extended amount of time; however, because this process is extremely excruciating and causes intense hunger, many Nivers fail and resort to a feeding rampage. The more blood they consume and the more frequently, Nivers can sustain the effects of the sun. 

Binders – humans who are responsible for keeping the balance between people and nightwalkers. Binders can track the whereabouts of nightwalkers and are assigned a designated area to manage them. They are responsible for maintaining the existence of nightwalkers a secret while also keeping nightwalkers from feeding on humans recklessly.


 

What We Know:

Himchan is a Daver. During the day, he is the owner of a successful coffee shop enterprise; at night, he frequents clubs and bars to meet women. Himchan has only been a Daver for two years. Recently, he got into a car accident that would have killed him had he been human. Instead, the Tender and Sehun took him in. To heal properly, he drank Sehun’s blood, which was the first time Himchan had ever fed. Feeding for the first time made his cravings insatiable. It leads him to feed on a human for the first time, as well as feed on Chaeri. In the most recent update, we find Himchan on a date with Chaeri, who explains to him what it means to be a nightwalker and what it will take for him to turn back into a human.

Sehun is a Niver. Before he met Nana, Sehun spent his days sleeping and his nights exercising or drinking. He was 19 years old when he turned and attempted to end his life at 27; however, he failed to succeed when he fed on a human. With just four months away from the anniversary of his attempted suicide, Sehun is conditioning his body to withstand pain by taking blood tablets. Blood tablets only satisfy cravings for a short time and do not provide any healing benefits, unlike the sun. However, since meeting Nana, Sehun has stopped drinking blood tablets all together and now finds himself with a desire to live.

Nana is a human who was first introduced during an altercation with her ex-boyfriend. Before this altercation could turn violent, Sehun intervened and punched the ex-boyfriend. Her ex-boyfriend died soon after due to lung and liver problems as a result of excessive smoking and drinking. Nana, who felt indebted to Sehun for saving her during that time as well as taking care of her when she got drunk, offered to meet with Sehun. After they exchanged handwritten poems, they meet for dinner at a Greek restaurant. Slowly and surely, Nana becomes Sehun’s confidante.

Chaeri has been a Niver for 22 years. She and Sehun dated several years ago when she was a Niver and he was still a human. She was also the one responsible for turning Sehun. While this scenario was never explained, it is alluded that Chaeri turned Sehun. Because Chaeri was self destructive, Sehun often pulled Chaeri from unhealthy environments, not knowing at the time that he was surrounded by other nightwalkers. In an attempt to understand Chaeri, Sehun developed a drinking game they often played together. Chaeri, who has taken an interest in Himchan after meeting him at a club, now seeks penance for turning Sehun by helping Himchan fulfill his desire of becoming a human.

The Tender is an unnamed human and Binder who works at a local club as a bar tender. The Tender supplies Sehun with blood tablets and is in charge of maintaining the status quo in his district. The Tender is also responsible for stopping Sehun when he tried to commit suicide two years ago by pulling him out of the sun, which gave Sehun enough strength to find a human to feed on. The Tender deeply regrets this and considers himself indebted to Sehun. The Tender does not agree with Sehun’s goals; although he will help Sehun in any way he can, the Tender wishes that Sehun would choose life over death.


 

What We Don’t Know (SPOILERS)

As Himchan pursues a relationship with Chaeri, he learns more about the world of nightwalkers and what it takes to become human. Legend says that for a Daver to become human, he must find the Niver who turned him and have the Niver feed on him. When a Niver feeds again on his first prey, it has a reverse effect; healing capabilities are given to the Daver rather than the Niver, and the Niver loses life. As a result, a Daver turns into a human, and the Niver dies.

Sehun finds himself becoming more attracted to Nana. As they continue to pursue each other, Nana discovers what Sehun really is. While this initially scares her, she decides to help Sehun by convincing him that death is not the answer, but rather, life. As Sehun becomes more enamored with Nana and realizes they are more alike than he initially thought, he no longer wishes to end his life but rather, continue it. However, because he is a Niver and Nana is a human, he can live forever but Nana cannot. They must find a solution; will Sehun choose death so that Nana never has to go through the pain of outliving him, or will Nana choose to become a nightwalker, too?

As the Tender watches this relationship unfold, he reveals to Sehun the secret he has been keeping: that Himchan was Sehun’s first prey. This puts Chaeri at a crossroads; does she help Himchan choose life, or does she help Sehun come to a decision with Nana? At this point in time, Sehun chooses not to go through with his suicide. Chaeri decides she wants to help Himchan, and nearly tricks Sehun into feeding on Himchan for a second time, knowing that this will also kill Sehun. Her attempt fails, and Sehun lashes against Chaeri, a dispute that turns into fragile reconciliation. Himchan, who realizes how much he loves Chaeri, decides he does not want to turn into a human, but rather, live forever with Chaeri. He embraces his identity as a Daver, and together, Chaeri and Himchan become roamers of the night.

Sehun, however, comes to an opposite decision. Not wanting Nana to live and die without him ever changing, Sehun decides it is better to save her from that pain by killing himself. For him, choosing to die is choosing life for Nana. On the two year anniversary of his suicide, Sehun attempts to kill himself once more. The Tender tells Nana of this. She rushes to Sehun’s side and pulls him from the sun, aware that if he cannot control his hunger, he will feed on her and she will turn into a Daver. Fighting every ounce in his body that tells him to feed, Sehun clings to Nana as he slowly dies. At the very last minute, the Tender arrives and forces Sehun to take blood tablets. It gives him just enough strength to survive. The Tender, who loves Sehun like a brother, says to Sehun, “I stopped you from dying once, and you hated me. And I will stop you a second time, a third time, a million times even if it means you’ll hate me still. You’ve found life. You’ve found someone worth living for. You won’t have forever, but you’ll have enough. I won’t let you be selfish enough to let this go.”

Sehun survives, and for a time, he and Nana enjoy a few decades together. Nana remains a human, and she eventually dies due to natural causes. Sehun meets Himchan and Chaeri several years later, both of who have now moved on to terrorize another district. We last see Himchan and Chaeri walking into the night; and Sehun, for the first time in his life, being brave enough to walk in the light.

 

If you have any questions about the story please comment below! Thank you!