Part 9 - End

Road Trip

a/n: It's done, finally! :) I hope you guys enjoyed this short story of mine. Til next time~

 

-----

 

Two years and seven months later…

“Oh, come on!”

Taeyeon screamed at the sky after slamming the door of her new truck.

“You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me!”

The short girl threw a dirty look at her car before screaming at it, finger pointed at the sleek and shiny hood.

“I had you checked the whole day yesterday, made sure that everything’s fine, but—Ugh!”

As soon as she had arrived from Paris, her crazy father, who never had the chance to visit her in France because of the company, half-dragged her back to their family home and proudly shoved her inside the new truck—his graduation gift to her.

It was a newer, more modern version of her mom’s old beat up truck, complete with a GPS system, wireless internet connection and everything else a person would want inside a car (including a small refrigerator).

She fell in love with it at first sight—the very first time she ever loved a car that wasn’t a coupe.

But right now, there was nothing Taeyeon would want than to beat the stalled car with a bat.

Fishing her phone from her pocket, she let out a sigh of relief when she saw a few signal bars at the top. At least, unlike the last time, she could actually call for help.

A few taps and the call connected immediately.

‘Hey, baby.’

“Help me. I’m stuck.”

The hearty laugh coming from the other line made Taeyeon smile despite of her predicament, and it was only then that she realized how much she missed Tiffany.

‘Wow, Taetae. I just left you for two days and now you’ve managed to get yourself stuck in the middle of nowhere again, for the second time! What would you do without me?’

“Nothing,” she said, faking insult, “That’s why I’m just gonna wait here until a hot chick in a pink chopper stop by and offer me a ride.”

Taeyeon leaned on the side of her truck and checked her watch. There was no way she’d reach in time for the party at the Hwang Estate.

She couldn’t believe she was going to miss her own engagement party.

Tiffany was still laughing on the other line and as much as she loved the sound of that, there were more pressing issues to discuss.

“Fany,” she whined, “Stop laughing and fetch meeeeeee—”

‘Oh my God, you’re starting to sound like your dad!’

Taeyeon faked gasp and even pressed a hand over her chest for full effect, though no one could see her at the moment. “No, I don’t!”

‘Yes, you do.’

She could hear a few muffled chatters coming from Tiffany’s line, and the sound of her fiancee’s mother’s voice yelling at the background. Taeyeon sighed and pouted when she realized what she was about to miss because of her stupid truck.

‘Stop sighing, Taetae. I’ll come and get you.’

“You would?”

‘Of course, Miss Kim. If I wouldn’t, then who else will?’

“Well if it’s any consolation, I packed those sandwiches that you love.”

She heard a gasp from the other line and it made her grin.

‘Why didn’t you say so?! Now tell me where you are so I could fetch you!’

Taeyeon chuckled as she went back inside her car, checking her GPS system so she could tell Tiffany her rough location. There was no way her fiancée wouldn’t pass by her though, since there was only a single highway to drive on.

“Drive carefully, okay? And take a car, it’s a lot safer.”

The other girl just hummed. ‘I’ll see you in a few hours, Taetae. And don’t worry about the party, I’ll tell everyone what happened. Love you.’

“Okay. Love you too.”

A smile blossomed from her lips as soon as she removed the phone from her ear to end the call, seeing the precious wallpaper on her screen that she didn’t have the heart to change.

It was a cramped picture of her and Tiffany in front of the Eiffel Tower, with the other girl boasting a shiny ring snugly fitted on her finger towards the camera, taken the night she had proposed to her.

The best day of her life, Taeyeon thought, because not only did she finish her culinary studies the same day, but also because Tiffany had been more than happy to accept the proposal.

But she was sure it would no longer be the best—oh, she knew it for a fact.

Though they didn’t have the perfect love story, it was theirs so it was supposed to be more than perfect. Taeyeon loved Tiffany and Tiffany loved her too, and now that they were going to get married, nothing had ever felt more right than that.

A chuckle escaped her lips as she looked towards the sky, smiling softly as she let her eyes trail after a lazy cloud drifting off to somewhere. In spite of the truck mishap, it was actually a fine day, and Taeyeon knew that it would only get better from there.

“I wish you could see how happy I am right now, mom,” Taeyeon whispered to the sky. “I’m getting married to the most wonderful woman in the world and I’m very, very happy.”

Pushing herself off the side of the car, Taeyeon decided to just take a nap inside the vehicle while she waited for her soon-to-be wife.

 

———

———

 

“Honey, everything’s set and the guests will be arrivi—Are you going to wear that on your party?”

Tiffany chuckled while she tucked her jeans inside her leather boots, zipping up the pair before standing up to check how comfortable they were. She can see the confused look that her mom was giving her choice of outfit from the full body mirror, and she grinned at her when their eyes met.

“Uh, no,” she said, still wearing that wide grin, “my fiancée is stuck in the middle of nowhere and I have to get her.”

“Taeyeon? Her car broke down?”

“Of course it’s Taeyeon, mom. Who else?” She chuckled. “And yes, it broke down.”

“Again?!”

“I know, right?! I really can’t believe her luck sometimes. This is why I need to fetch her before she changes her mind about marrying me and runs away.”

Walking up to her vanity, she started reapplying her makeup, glancing at her mother through the mirror every now and then while the old lady moved from her door to her bed.

“Oh, honey,” her mom said, taking a seat on the mattress with a smile. “She loves you too much; she would never.”

The soft tone of her mother’s voice made Tiffany stopped what she was doing. She turned away from the mirror and met her mom’s soft, loving gaze.

“I know, mom, I was just kidding,” she told the older lady with a wide smile she couldn’t hold in. “And I love her too, that’s why I’m going out there to get her.”

“How far is she anyway?”

“Not really sure but from what she told me, probably a good two hours away, three tops.”

“But honey!” Her mom gasped. “That would mean you’re gonna miss the whole party!”

Tiffany shrugged at the mirror as she continued to fix her makeup before playfully rolling her eyes at the look her mom was giving her.

“Can’t we just send the guys to get her?”

“No,” Tiffany answered back almost immediately. “I don’t want to be in my engagement party without my fiancée. I’d rather be on the road with her than to be stuck in the company of dad’s and Uncle Kim’s business partners. Our friends aren’t even here!”

“Hmm, you have a point there…”

Tiffany’s mother trailed on, looking as if she was in deep thought. She saw no arguments about this; there was no way she was going to stay knowing that Taeyeon was still stuck on the highway.

After finishing her makeup, she gathered her wallet and phone and shoved them inside a small clutch, turning to her mother while she waited for the latter to snap from her thinking.

“I’m going,” she said, getting her mom’s attention.

“Okay, you may go. I’ll just tell the guests that you eloped or something.”

“Moooooom,” Tiffany whined.

The old lady chuckled as she kissed her daughter’s cheek, patting her lightly before pushing her out the door and towards the direction of the garage.

“Drive safely, okay?”

“Okay. Bye mom!”

 

—–

 

Taeyeon had told her to bring a car but the sight of the surprise gift she had spontaneously bought her little chef gave her ideas.

Tearing the ribbon sitting on the gas tank of the new light blue chopper, Tiffany rode the bike out the garage and into the open highway, lips split into a wide excited grin. She wouldn’t be reaching Taeyeon for a good two hours but she couldn’t hold in the excitement of both seeing her and showing her the chopper.

Her little fiancée had been relentless about getting something bigger than her moped, especially while they were still in Paris.

It happened when they went out one night, while they were on their way to the parking lot after a nice dinner. She was trailing behind Taeyeon who suddenly stopped before turning to look at her with round eyes and a pout, resembling a puppy who was about to cry. Turned out, a big bike was parked beside her small moped and Taeyeon wanted to have one.

She giggled at the memory because the other girl wouldn’t stop talking about it even until they were on the plane that was to fly them back home, and she had promised then that she would just let Taeyeon drive her chopper when they get back.

And now she couldn’t wait to see Taeyeon’s face when she sees her own big bike.

 

—–

 

It didn’t take long for Tiffany to reach Taeyeon’s location. She had only been cruising for an hour and a half when she caught sight of a pair of hazard lights blinking not far away, and when she got near enough, she finally saw Taeyeon perched at the roof of the truck, swinging her legs back and forth like a kid.

Taeyeon’s eyebrows were furrowed when she parked near her truck, and it made Tiffany chuckle, shaking her head at the short girl who was giving her an accusing gaze.

“What?” She asked, turning the engine off as she kicked the bike stand in place.

Her fiancée was still pouting even after she had looped her arms around the latter’s neck, pulling her in for a short kiss and a tight hug.

“I told you to bring a car.”

“We haven’t seen each other for two days and that’s the first thing you’re going to say to me?” She squeezed her tighter before pressing her lips on Taeyeon’s cheek. “I missed you.”

Taeyeon turned her head and captured her lips in a slow, sweet kiss, something Tiffany had missed in those two days they were apart.

When their parents suggested a formal engagement party, Tiffany had to go to the Hwang Estate earlier to watch over the preparations with her mother, leaving Taeyeon behind who was also busy setting up her own restaurant business in the city.

“I missed you too. Thank you for coming.”

Tiffany gave her one last peck before pulling back, smiling that smile that she knew Taeyeon loved. “I have a surprise for you.”

The inquisitive look that her fiancée gave her made her smile wider. She pulled her closer towards the chopper that Taeyeon failed to give notice to and gestured at it.

“No way…”

“I love you too, and you’re welcome.”

“No. Freaking. Way!”

The once quiet highway was now filled with her husky chuckles and clapping, mixed with Taeyeon’s excited squeals and nonstop chatter.

Seeing the short girl happy made Tiffany happy too, even more so because she was the one who made her feel that way.

 

—–

 

It surprised Tiffany when Taeyeon suddenly emerged from inside the truck with several blankets in tow, like she knew she was going to be stranded again. There was even a mat neatly rolled at the back of the truck, along with some extra car tools.

“I’m starting to think that this was planned.”

She heard Taeyeon chuckling while the latter unrolled the mat, unfolding the blankets before plopping down on the neat pile as soon she was finished. The girl beckoned for Tiffany to hop on the back with her, lured her in with a container of her favourite sandwiches.

“No,” the short girl said before taking a bite out of her meal, “I just came prepared.”

Tiffany crawled and sat beside her fiancée, scooting closer for Taeyeon’s warmth as the shorter girl fed her.

It felt almost exactly like the first time, except now she knew a hundred percent that she was in love. She was also so much happier compared to the past—so much satisfied with her life now that she had found her other half.

She didn’t think it was possible—for the umpteenth time since she had officially dated Taeyeon, Tiffany still couldn’t believe it. Her life before meeting her was practically already complete, but having Taeyeon in her life made everything better, made the sun shine a little brighter, made the cold nights a lot warmer.

Just like now.

“Do you mind if we stay here for a while? I kinda missed this.”

“It’s okay, mom knows we’re ditching the party anyway.”

Tiffany smiled when Taeyeon pulled her closer towards her, the sandwiches long forgotten at the side. Instinctively, she rested her head and snuggled close under her fiancée’s chin, her most favourite spot in the world.

“I missed being alone with you,” Taeyeon said, pressing a soft kiss on her temple while hugging her tighter.

“We’ve been too busy since we got back. How’s your restaurant coming along?”

“It’s getting there. You? Have you told your parents about your plans to study again?”

“I did. And they were more than happy for it,” she said, nodding against Taeyeon’s neck before leaving a soft peck under her pulse point, smiling when she felt the latter shudder a bit.

“That’s good to hear.”

And it really was, Tiffany thought, because now she had finally found something she’d really want to do with her life.

 

———

———

 

Taeyeon felt like she had the whole world wrapped comfortably in her arms—breathing, living, and emitting warmth that had her heart humming a soft melody.

She wished Tiffany could hear it, because her words would never be enough—even her actions felt a little short. All she wanted was to give her everything, because compared to the heart that Tiffany had willingly given her, the universe and everything in it, still, all seemed too small.

Cold palms pressed on her cheeks and she felt her head being tilted down, pulling her from her thoughts. She smiled when Tiffany’s warm lips pressed on the corner of her own, the cold tip of her fiancée’s nose nuzzling her cheek right after.

“What are you thinking?” Taeyeon heard her whisper.

“Nothing, it’s just that… You,” she tapped on Tiffany’s nose, “You’re the definition of everything I could ever want in my life.”

Tiffany laughed and pulled away from her instantly, looked at her incredulously like she grew another head.

“Wow,” her fiancée said, amused, “That was so cheesy!”

Smiling, she took Tiffany’s hand in her own, caressed the finger were her engagement ring sat. “You know… Choosing you was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my entire life.”

The laughter died down into a soft chuckle, and when Taeyeon looked up, Tiffany’s eye smile greeted her, with that playful glint still evident in her eyes. “Chose me?”

She nodded at that. “Do you remember the first night I’ve spent in the villa? When you told me that this was fate?”

“Yeah. Do you believe it now?”

“I think I did, started to at least, because everything that happened after that had been all too crazy to be coincidental. But thinking back… I just realized that everything had been a choice, too.”

The other girl continued to look at her incredulously, one eyebrow raised and lips pursed into a playful smirk. Taeyeon could only grin at her, throwing a pleading look that clearly said ‘let me explain first’.

“Okay, fine. Continue, Miss Kim.”

“It’s just that… Right from the start, it had all been my decisions. I chose to go on that trip to meet you. I could’ve said no to my dad, but I still pushed through with it because I wanted to go to Paris. Driving that old truck was my choice, too. There were far more better cars to bring but I chose that one, and it was my fault that got me stuck in the middle of nowhere.”

She paused, smiled softly and pulled on Tiffany until she was back in her hold, wrapped in her arms snugly as Taeyeon laid down on the mat and blankets with her in tow.

“And then you came,” she whispered, hugging her tighter for emphasis.

“Now that one was fate,” Tiffany replied with so much pride that the shorter girl almost laughed.

Taeyeon looked at her with her lopsided smile, her eyebrows quirked upwards. “I’m sure running away was a decision too.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes then, but she was still smiling, humouring what Taeyeon was trying to point out.

“You came rumbling in on your pink chopper and even though you practically didn’t do anything, I honestly think you saved me that day. You could’ve ignored me and my stupid truck, you know. But you still stopped by and tried to help me.”

“And your point is, Miss Kim?”

“I’m just saying that fate shouldn’t take all the credit. It might have paved the way, but it’s not the one making the decisions.”

Taeyeon blindly reached for Tiffany’s hand and interlaced their fingers together, bringing their hands to rest on her tummy. It almost hurt her to think that a mere wrong decision could have taken away everything she had now, could have taken Tiffany away even before they could meet.

And with a sigh, she drew the other girl closer to her until Tiffany was practically lying on top of her.

“Imagine if you didn’t choose to stay with me that day,” she whispered, “It would have been a very horrible domino effect. Worse, I don’t think I’d be with you right now.”

“I’d like to think that I made the right choice of choosing you,” Taeyeon said softly as she nuzzled her nose on Tiffany’s hair. “And if I had to do it all over again, I’d still choose to meet you, still use my mom’s truck, still ask you to come to Paris with me—”

“Let’s elope.”

All of a sudden, Tiffany was out her hold and was now sitting down beside her, pulling her up.

“Wh-What?”

“I want to marry you. Now. As soon as possible. I can’t wait anymore—”

“But—”

“Come on! It’ll be like another road trip since, you know… You kinda owe me one.”

The short girl finally sat up, confused. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Well, I didn’t get to travel around!” Tiffany exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air, “I stayed with you in Paris the whole time! The least you can do is to elope with me.”

Taeyeon looked like she was in deep thought, and even before Tiffany could say more things to convince her, she shrugged and grinned.

“Wanna get married in Vegas?”

Tiffany’s smile was so wide that Taeyeon felt like her face would split in two, but she still looked very beautiful then, because she looked so happy—more than happy actually, and that’s what’s important.

They looked at each other for a second, grinned at each other like fools before they rushed to get off the back of the truck, with Tiffany running over to the blue chopper to start the engine, and Taeyeon going back inside the vehicle to get her bag.

“Hey wait, I wanna drive!” Taeyeon yelled as she locked the doors, jogging over to where Tiffany was.

“No. I’d like to marry you first before I die. You’re still not used to driving big ones, Taetae!”

“But this is mine! You gave it to me already!”

“Don’t be such a kid! After the wedding, I promise.”

Knowing that she’d never win, Taeyeon pouted and grumpily hopped on the back before wrapping her arms tightly around the other girl who was grinning victoriously.

“You’re lucky I love you,” she grumbled.

“I love you too, that’s why I’m not letting you drive. Now hold on tight!”

With a rev of the engine, the two zoomed away with an excited scream.

“Vegas, here we come!”

 

The End