Part 2

Road Trip

-----

 

When Tiffany received a call from her mother telling her to come down to their private estate on the South for a short spontaneous break, she all but willingly cleared all of her schedule for the whole week, squealing like a cute little kid in her lavish office located in the big city.

“Mom, you’re a life saver! You have no idea how much I needed a break!”

‘That’s why I called for you, honey. Your dad’s working you too much. Now go home so you could pack, we need a mother-daughter bonding again soon!’

 “I know, right!” Tiffany gushed on the phone with her mom while she gathered all her stuff so she could leave the office early to pack.

‘Oh, by the way, you don’t need to inform the board about your trip, I’ve already fixed everything.’

The overly excited girl smiled wider and thanked her mom with aegyo, earning her a soft giggle from the lady on the other line.

‘Be careful on the road, okay?’

“Yes mom,” she said as she exited her office, waving goodbye to her secretary. “I’ll see you in two days. Love you!”

‘Love you too! Bye!’

“Bye!”

With a spring in her step, Tiffany skipped towards the elevator, smiling widely to herself.

 

—–

 

‘Surprise! You’re getting married!’

“What?!”

‘You’re getting married! Isn’t it exciting?!’

“Daddy, are you crazy?!”

‘Of course not, sweetie! I’m perfectly well!’

Tiffany stared at the screen of her laptop, dumbfounded, not because her weird father was showing his nonexistent biceps, but because of the maddening news.

Her father had been out of the country for half a year now, gone tropical country hopping, looking for potential business locations to expand their corporate empire. She had been all for it; didn’t mind that her dad had to appoint her as temporary CEO, doubling her workload.

“Daddy, you can’t just go and drop this on me! This is so out of the blue!”

‘What are you talking about? I’ve already talked to your mother about this! It was her idea!’

Tiffany’s head whipped towards the couch where her mom sat a while ago, eyes widening when she had realized that the old lady wasn’t there anymore. The door creaked and she saw her mom slipping out before slamming the door shut.

“Mom! Come back here!”

She slapped her forehead and groaned, finally realizing that the spontaneous break that her mom had offered was nothing but a dirty plan.

That’s why she had been so jumpy ever since I arrived this afternoon, Tiffany thought.

‘—and she is really cute! Really petite! I’m sure you’ll like her! My best friend showed me a picture—’

Tiffany didn’t bother listening more and just closed the laptop lid, ending her conversation with her dad abruptly. She groaned some more and stood up, heading out to where her mom would be hiding—in the kitchen.

 

—–

 

She was right.

Along with at least twenty other more people, her mother was indeed inside the kitchen looking very busy ordering everyone on what to do.

Moving stealthily, she grabbed her mother’s arm when she was near enough and dragged her out of the kitchen.

“Mommy, we need to talk.”

“What’s there to talk about, honey?”

“Moooooommmm!“

Tiffany whined at her mother’s innocent smile and the older lady finally let out an amused giggle when she stomped her feet like a toddler.

“Let’s go for a walk, sweetie.”

What Tiffany loved about this place was that not only was the estate situated in a very peaceful and lush part of the country, but also because this was where she grew up and spent most of her childhood, running along the halls of the huge villa while being chased playfully by her father.

She had so many fond memories in that place, and even though she had to continue her life in the big city—to study and later on, to work in her father’s company—she had always longed to go back and spend some time with her parents.

Tiffany let her mom lead her out towards the garden, their arms linked and their happy voices echoing through the hallways. She had missed this, bonding with her mother to talk and gossip about useless and random things, just letting the time tick away like it wasn’t important for once.

“I’ve missed this place,” Tiffany said softly, sighing as she sat on the wooden lawn chair right across her mother.

“You need to visit more often, honey. It gets lonely here sometimes, especially when you and your dad are in the city.”

“Tell that to daddy, he never gives me long breaks.”

“Well, you’re in one now.”

Her mother’s cheeky grin, the one she supposedly inherited, showed itself on the old lady’s face and she groaned, suddenly remembering why they were out there in the garden at the first place.

“Mom, this thing—” Tiffany said as she pinched the bridge of her nose, “This marriage thing… What are you trying to do?”

“Tiffany, sweetie,” her mom scolded, “Don’t think I didn’t know about that awful break up you had with whatsherface. I told you, she’s not good for you.”

“Ugh, you didn’t have to remind me, mother.”

Tiffany knew and admitted that her previous relationship was a severe lapse of judgement on her part, because the girl she dated was a shameless jerk (according to both of her family and friends), yet she still went with it. They have been dating for a few months already when she had caught her cheating at her, with an ugly guy nonetheless.

Turned out, her ex was really straight and just dated her because she was rich. Typical, she thought.

Thank god she never gave her anything really expensive except for that Prada purse.

“You know, honey,” her mom started softly, the old lady’s voice drawing her back to the conversation, “When you came out to me and your dad, I felt really happy. I felt like I gained a son all of a sudden!”

“Mom! I’m too beautiful to be a guy!” Tiffany answered back as she hit her mother’s thigh lightly, laughing at the silly thought of her having a moustache.

“Of course you are, honey. You’re my daughter after all.”

The proud smile on her mother’s face almost made Tiffany tear up, because honestly, not everyone was welcoming and accepting like her parents were. They were the best, she had deemed, and she wouldn’t have them any other way.

“So let’s talk about your engagement! Oh my god, I am so excited!”

Okay, maybe not that perfect.

“Can we please not talk about this? I really don’t want to be in this—“ Tiffany gestured wildly with her hands, “This thing! Whatever this is!”

“Oh, but honey, your daddy’s best friend’s daughter is really cute!”

“Cute?! You want me to marry a kid?!”

She wanted to bite her tongue for saying that, because now her mother was giving her suggestive smirks.

“Why,” the old lady chided, “How does my daughter like her woman?”

Tiffany gasped, scandalized yet undeniably amused.

“Mom! That’s embarrassing! But if!” she exclaimed, smiling slyly, “If I were to marry, I’d like my wife y and matured.”

“Aaaww, you’re just like your father!”

Her mom looked at her rather proudly and she laughed at how silly the old lady was.

“But mom, all jokes aside… I really don’t want to do this. You and dad, I love you both so much and you know that, but I am not gonna approve to this.”

Tiffany held her mother’s hand and gave it a light squeeze, hoping that the older lady would understand and feel her sentiments.

Her parents weren’t like that—that much she knew. They valued other people’s decisions and feelings; never forced anything on anyone.

They were good people, and Tiffany felt very blessed to have them as parents, no matter how crazy they get sometimes.

A sigh reached her ears followed by a gentle squeeze on her hand.

“There’s nothing in this world that I’d want more than for you to be happy, my dear daughter. And even though you don’t want to admit it, you’re already in that age where you should be thinking about settling down.”

“I know mom, I just—I don’t want it to be like this, you know? Like…” Tiffany stopped as she felt her cheeks go warm. “I want something nice and romantic to tell my kids someday and… I just don’t think an arranged marriage could do that…”

Silence dawned upon them, save for the sound of the crickets on the lawn and the rustling of the leaves whenever the wind passes.

Another sigh came out of her mother’s mouth.

“Could you at least meet her? I heard she’s really nice. Maybe you’d fall in love at first sight when you see her.”

Tiffany whined and stomped her feet a few times.

“What?” Her mother asked, amused at her daughter’s tantrums, “I’m just saying! You’d never know… What if she really is the one destined for you. I think that would be the most romantic thing ever!”

She looked at her mom and frowned. “Can I even say no?”

“Not really. She’s already on her way here. She’ll arrive tomorrow!”

“Mom!”

 

—–

 

Tiffany let the cold breeze brush through her hair as she stood on her room’s veranda, thinking of tonight’s events while replaying the conversation she had with her mother.

‘What if she really is the one destined for you.’

“What if dad had a lapse in judgement and this girl was actually a psychopath and a serial killer…” She whispered to herself.

In less than twenty four hours, she will be meeting her supposed fiancée, and she didn’t know what to feel about it.

She was nervous, anxious and admittedly a little intrigued, but all of those were superficial compared to the heaviness that she was feeling in her heart.

Tiffany just wanted love like everyone else, and after multiple unsuccessful relationships, she was more than adamant in finding the right one, hopefully, in a more natural and less dictated way. She believed in fate and destiny, even serendipity, and she had always prayed for something romantic like in the movies, no matter how cliché and silly.

“There’s no way I’ll meet her…”

So she made up her mind; her pride was to blame.

Tiffany was going to run away tonight.

 

—–

 

Apologies had been written and folded neatly on her desk, and finally she was ready to slip away, carrying nothing but a small bag that fit an extra shirt, shorts, her wallet and her phone.

Earlier that night before she had decided to take a nap, she had already snuck in the garage to place her things in her car, but when she passed by her old yet well-maintained chopper, an unlikely gift from her father (it was pink so he bought it), her lips tugged up in a knowing smile.

And now the only thing she needed to do was to leave unnoticed.

Closing her door as quietly as she could, she tiptoed her way back towards the garage, only to be greeted by an overly jolly security guard.

“Good morning, Miss Hwang! You’re quite early today!”

Tiffany clamped , instantly, muffling the beginning of a shriek that came out of .

“Jesus Christ, don’t scare me like that! And why are you out here so early?!”

“My shift usually starts this early, Miss Hwang.”

“Oh… Okay.”

Tiffany eyed her motorcycle discreetly from where she was, contemplating on how to get close to the thing without looking suspicious. The guard was still starting at her with a goofy smile, looking a little too happy for her liking.

It was only four in the morning. Who in their right minds would be so jolly at work that early?

With a silent groan, she dragged herself away from the garage door, thinking of a Plan B.

Just then, Tiffany thought of something really stupid and hoped that it would still work.

“Ow!” She screamed, clutching her stomach before leaning dramatically on the wall beside her.

And right on cue, the smiley guard ran towards her, asking if she was hurt.

“My t-tummy—Uuuggghhhhhh… C-Can you get me medicine?”

“Y-Yes, Miss Hwang! Please wait here!”

Tiffany was almost guilty because the guard looked genuinely concerned before he bolted off like a madman in search of medicine, but as soon as he disappeared around the corner, she immediately scurried towards the garage, retracted the kickstand of her bike and pushed it quietly towards the hidden dirt road at the back of the villa—hers and her dad’s secret shortcut.

When she was far enough, she double checked her belongings before riding the chopper, revving it up before driving off to the open highway with an excited scream.

 

—–

 

Tiffany had watched the sun rose from the horizon, and for the first time in a long time she felt so alive.

She rode the empty highway with her arms outstretched and head tilted upwards, basking at the waking sun while she bid goodbye to the sleepy moon.

The engine of her chopper roared with every twist of the handle, drowning the sound of her continuously ringing phone, sending her father and farther away from her family’s estate. She had a very good feeling just now, like something nice was going to happen soon.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPP.

“What the hell!”

She almost lost her balance when she heard someone’s horn blaring, only to find the road still empty. Her furrowed eyebrows finally relaxed when she where it came from.

Tiffany almost laughed out loud when she saw a kid in a hoodie and jeans kicking the front wheel of her stalled truck, probably broken down judging at how old it looked. She finally let out a few loud chuckles when she had realized the irony.

She wanted to just leave the girl alone but something was screaming inside of her, telling her to stop and help.

So she did.

She slowed down and parked just behind the truck.

“Need help?” Tiffany asked, kicking the stand before getting off the chopper in a fluid motion. “You okay there?”

She chuckled when she saw the girl gawking at her shamelessly, but she couldn’t blame her, her clothes barely covered anything.

The girl looked really young, though, like barely legal, and Tiffany didn’t know why but she felt so drawn to her. When they’ve talked, she was surprised by the girl’s maturity, and the more she stared at her, the more she felt inclined to know her.

She had asked simple questions but there was something about how she asked them that tickled Tiffany’s interest, and when the shorter girl cursed out loud when she had told her that the nearest town wasn’t for another few miles, Tiffany wanted nothing than to pet her head like a cute kid.

“I’m sorry I can’t take you there. I’m heading towards the other direction.”

“Oh, no. It’s fine. I understand,” the girl said, giving her an understanding smile, “You should go. I don’t want to keep you from your trip. Thank you for stopping.”

When the shorter girl turned around and walked away from her, Tiffany felt something. Suddenly, there was a powerful urge to stop the other, and though she wasn’t sure where that urge came from, she still followed it, calling out to the kid before it’s too late, not like she has somewhere to go with that broken truck.

“Why don’t I just keep you company while we wait for someone to pass by?”

The smile she received was enough to make her feel better.

 

—–

 

Seconds turned into minutes and minutes turned into hours, but she didn’t mind, not at all.

Tiffany was comfortable in spite of the cold metal pressed on her exposed skin and the simple meal she had just eaten was the best she had in a long time.

Although she was generally a loud and talkative person, the silence that surrounded them at that time had been very welcoming.

They’ve talked for a while, exchanged names, discussed their plans about getting their freedom, and though it had only been a few words going back and forth in between them, Tiffany had already felt an affinity towards this girl named Kim Taeyeon.

She shivered a bit when the cool breeze suddenly blew, pulling her out of her slumber. Tiffany nuzzled the warm body beside her, pressing her face slightly on the soft material before opening her eyes slowly.

She lifted her head from the shoulder she was resting on and smiled, giggling silently at Taeyeon’s slightly opened eyelids and parted lips. The other girl was snoring lightly, making Tiffany’s smile grow even wider.

Cute, she thought with a grin, suddenly remembering the girl she was supposed to meet today. If only her supposed fiancée looked this adorable, then maybe, she would have considered it. Too bad, though, because there was no way she’d know anymore.

Scooting a little bit closer, Tiffany returned to her previous position and just waited for sleep to take her once again, silently enjoying the unexpected comfort that the stranger beside her brought.

 

—–

 

She watched as the gasoline pour continuously in her chopper’s gas tank, the sound of the liquid hitting the metal lulling her into a trance.

Tiffany could still feel her lips tingling, as well as the rest of her body, and she thought, unconvincingly, that it was only because of the wind hitting her as she rode the highway towards the North.

It was a spur of the moment thing, leaning towards Taeyeon before kissing her on the cheek, but she felt so good after it, like she had done the right thing, like how she had decided to stay behind to accompany her through the night.

When they’ve parted ways, she felt sad, but the business card Taeyeon left her somehow made it bearable, and the thought of meeting again kind of excited her. There was neither a definite time, nor an assurance if it would even happen, but the thought enough made her smile.

But right now, she had a more pressing issue to deal with, and that was to reach her apartment in the city before deciding where to run off to next.

Checking her filled tank, she swung her legs and straddled the bike, only to have someone’s hand stop her by her shoulder.

“Miss Hwang.”

Tiffany slapped her forehead and shook her head, finally noticing two familiar cars beside her bike, and another one parked not too far away.

“Damn it,” she cursed, getting off her chopper before following the guy in a black suit towards the nearest car.

 

—–

 

Tiffany heaved a sigh as she watched the trees that lined the road on the way to their estate, and she thought, wryly, if she would have escaped more successfully if she didn’t stop to help Kim Taeyeon.

Probably, she said to herself, because staying with the other girl had delayed her travel for almost a whole day, and if she didn’t stop, she would have already reached the city and was probably on her way to a new place by now.

It’s not like she was leaving for good, she just wanted to go away for a while—away from her family, her work, her friends—away from everything familiar and safe. She had explained everything in the letter she left her mother, but now it was useless, because she was on her way back.

“We’ve just passed the gate. Please inform Madam Hwang that we’re nearing soon.”

She heard the bodyguard sitting shotgun talked through his phone, and for the umpteenth time that day, she sighed, finally, almost, accepting defeat.

Tiffany was exhausted, frustrated and a little mad, and the way the bodyguards were dragging her irritated her more. She yelled and threw tantrums like a kid; she didn’t care anymore.

“Honey—”

“No mom, save it,” she said, cutting her mom off as soon as she saw her in the living room. “I don’t care what daddy says, I am not marrying a—”

“Hi.”

“—stranger…”

Tiffany felt her jaw unhinged when she saw Kim Taeyeon sitting across her mother, looking as much as the kid she was when she first saw her kicking the front wheel of her stalled truck.

 

End of Part 2