1

Twisted

When the door chime sounded Anji felt butterflies in her stomach.  Would she meet someone tonight that caught her eye?  Nichole showed her guests in, there were three of them, and just like Yongguk, they all made her feel even shorter than she already was.  She felt like a kid in a room full of grownups. 

“This is my friend, Anji, she’s visiting me to help out with the baby once it’s born.”  Nichole said introducing her to the men.  “Anji, this is Himchan, Daehyun and Youngjae.”

Anji nodded and smiled.  Himchan was handsome, almost pretty, and his eyes slightly creeped her out...he looked way too feline.  Daehyun had automatically caught her eye, he was handsome and something about him just seemed to call to her.  It didn’t help that he had a v-neck shirt on, revealing his collarbones, or that he had lush lips, or, to her complete frustration, had the iest beauty mark right under his left eye.  The man was just all kinds of right.  And then there was Youngjae, he was cute, in a boyish sort of way, and she could tell simply by looking at him that he was a kind soul.  She found it very refreshing and attractive.  

The men came in and they struck up a comfortable conversation with one another.  Yongguk and Himchan had been friends since childhood and they’d met Daehyun and Youngjae during their school years.  The four had been friends ever since.

During their conversation she and Daehyun shared several secretive glances and it excited her.  But it was Youngjae that suddenly broke the ice.

“So, Anji, would you perhaps like to go out and get some bubble tea with me some time?  I could show you around the city.”  Youngjae asked with a sweet smile.

Anji smiled at him, eyes briefly flicking to Daehyun, who had a look of astonishment on his face, she could tell he hadn’t expected his friend to make such a bold move so quickly.  “I would like that very much, thank you.”  It amused her to see Daehyun’s eyes fill with even further astonishment.  She smiled.  If this man wanted her so badly, she wasn’t going to make it easy for him, he would have to work for it.

“Great!” Youngjae said happily. “I’ll pick you up tomorrow.”

Anji nodded and smiled sweetly at him.  “I’m looking forward to it.”

They all talked a while longer before the men finally left. 

“Well, that went well.”  Nichole said.  “I thought for sure Daehyun was going to make a move but Youngjae came out of nowhere and beat him to it.”

Anji pretended not to know what her friend was talking about.  “Oh, really?”

Nichole laughed.  “You didn’t notice him checking you out?”

Anji shook her head, still denying she was aware of what had silently occurred between her and Daehyun.  “No, I guess I’m just not very observant and don’t pick up on those kinds of things.”

“Well, it doesn’t matter, Youngjae is a really great guy.  I’m proud of him for speaking up, he never does that.”  Nichole furrowed her brow slightly.  “Just don’t hurt him okay, he’s had the worst luck when it comes to women.  Poor guy, where he is concerned the phrase ‘nice guys finish last’ is more than true.”

Anji frowned.  “What do you mean?”

“He’s been walked all over and used by so many girls, he simply can’t catch a break.  His last girlfriend was already engaged to someone and she dated him simply because he has money, he was heartbroken when he found out.  She just up and left one day, he came home to his place emptied of her things with only a note thanking him for funding her wedding and future life with her husband…it was harsh.  So, be kind to him, he falls hard and fast, don’t lead him on if you aren’t interested, but if you are, treat that boy like the prince he is, because he will definitely treat you like a princess.”

Anji nodded, taking in her friend’s words.  “Don’t worry, I don’t plan on hurting anyone.  Tomorrow I think will determine many things.”  She stretched and yawned.  “I don’t know about you but I’m going to get some sleep.”  She went to the room she was staying in and pondered over everything Nichole had said.  She felt a deep sympathy for Youngjae, she too had not had very much luck in the relationship department…but…then there was Daehyun.  Why could she not get that man out of her head, it was like his eyes had cast some sort of spell over her.  She shook her head and settled down on her bed.  She had been right when she’d told Nichole that tomorrow would determine many things, but she would leave that for tomorrow.