Chapter 4 - The Ex Teammate

Coincidence? Planned?

“Aish..I am tired and hungry and RAWRRRR!!” Seon Hee whined and dropped her head onto the table, her lips formed into a pout and eyes staring blankly at Yoon Sung who was sitting opposite of her.

Yoon Sung was the only one who was much more awake as compared to the rest as he had managed to sleep till 7pm. He looked at the rest of his team members as they were trying to fight their Z-monsters. Seon Hee had apparently just lost. Adiana as with her right hand she flipped through the pages and pages of all the statement recorded and her chin resting on her left hand, her brows furrowed together and yawning once in a while due to the tiredness as she continued flipping through the pages, trying to absorb the words that were written on the page. Anna was on her Iphone, checking the conditions of the injured Super Junior members with her brother. Meanwhile, Hyun Ae had her head lied back with her eyes closed.

“Okay. I think let’s end things off here. Nothing much we can do now as we still need statements from the injured members as well as the report from the forensics side. I see everyone is tired too. Anna, check with your brother what time can we visit the injured members for the recording of statement tomorrow, I mean later and message me the time. Yoon Sung, follow up about the gerbs with the forensics side and message me around what time will we be able to get the report. Hyun Ae and Seon Hee--” Adiana cut off her sentence and knocked on the spot right before Seon Hee’s face. Seon Hee opened only her right eye and looked at Adiana.

“De-brief time, wake up and you can go home sleep later.” Adiana said in a weary tone to Seon Hee as she sat back up straight on the chair.

“As I was saying. Hyun Ae and Seon Hee, be back here at 11am and find Hye Mi for the recording of statement. She might know who is the security personnel who got pushed into the stage or maybe she herself is the one. Anna, after you message me the time, I will meet you straight at Seoul Hospital. Yoon Sung, after you know the time, message me and I will give you instructions from there. Any questions?” Adiana continued and looked at her team members to see tired faces looking back at her, other than Yoon Sung.

“Okay. Then end of meeting,” Adiana said as she stood up and left the meeting room for her office.
“Aish. I want to sleep here. It’s like 4am? I don’t even want to move now.” Seon Hee whined as she closed her eyes again.
“Get the couch at our lounge. The lounge was built for such a reason.” Hyun Ae said as she stood up and was about to walk out of the meeting room when Anna suddenly stood up.

“What lounge? There’s a lounge for the CIDs to use?” Anna asked.
“Wrong. There’s a lounge for Adiana’s team and Cosy’s team to use. Ask Yoon Sung about it. I bet he’s the only one awake as I have totally no idea if what coming out of my mouth is making sense now. I shall make my move.” Hyun Ae answered as she let out a yawn and stretched out her hands, walking out of the door.
“I shall go and have my beauty sleep too. Oh and not forgetting, Anna, welcome to the team! You are now entitled to use the lounge too!” Seon Hee stood up and said as she flashed Anna one of her best smiles and left the meeting room too.

Anna turned to Yoon Sung and sent him a questioning look and Yoon Sung started speaking.

“I am sure you know both Adi, Adiana and Cosy are called the rising star sisters right? This was only known amongst the high ranking officers. In 2007, the president son’s was kidnapped and so they asked for help from the CID. As you know how kidnapping cases work, the hostage’s family isn’t supposed to call the police in. So our authorities secretly sent 2 teams in to save the hostage. It was hard to choose which 2 teams to go as both teams’ leaders must have very good teamwork to succeed in the mission. And they decided for Adi and Cosy to take up the mission since they have the skills, both teams have chemistry with each other and our leaders were the only ones who were daring enough to take up the mission. It was like we were placing our lives on the line at that point of time. It was liked your paintball games played with real bullets. To cut the story short, yes, we manage to save the president’s son. The president asked Adi and Cosy what reward do they want in return which they declined stating that it was their job. Ever since that kidnap case, all the big cases were passed to Adi and Cosy directly which practically made both our teams the best 2 teams among all the divisions.”

“So, did anyone got injured?” Anna asked as Yoon Sung ended the story.
“One of our teammates died. Jung Hwa. He’s good. He really had the passion. And after his death, for 4 freaking years, Adi refused to add a new team member and the team was always working fine with just the 3 of us under her. So I have no idea why she wants to add one now and why she chose you among the rest.”

“Wait, so Adiana had the choice to choose who she wanted to have in the team? And why didn't she want a new member for 4 years?” Anna said.
“Yes. No offence but I saw a few others that had more experience in the field. As for the other question, you should know from her.” Yoon Sung said.
“Okay.. I thought it was just by luck that I managed to get posted in. But now, knowing that Adiana chose me, I feel honored.”
“Yeah. And you offended her on your first day.” Yoon Sung retorted as he shot her the face that is the exact portray of the emoticon (-_-).
“Gosh. Don’t remind me of that. It’s so embarrassing! Argh!! I don’t want her to hate me for that. She practically looked like she wanted to burn me alive with her glaring eyes at the hospital just now.” Anna said as she ran her right hand through her hair and ruffled it in frustration, messing up her fringe.
Yoon Sung laughed out as his hand reached out to stop hers and fixed her fringe back into place as he said, “Don’t worry about Adi. She looked as though she want to eat Seon Hee alive ever since the team was formed but Seon Hee is still alive. Adi might be scary when it comes to work but she cares about the team the most. She took a bullet for Seon Hee that time when we were in a gun fight with the kidnappers. As you get to know her more, you will know that she is a good boss to have. You can ask Hyun Ae and Seon Hee to verify my words.”

“Yeah...” Anna said, red creeping up her face and her brain unable to construct a proper sentence due to the gentle act of fixing her hair that Yoon Sung did to her just now.
“Erm, I think I will go and accompany my brother at the hospital.” Anna continued as she turned and headed for the door.
Before she managed to step out of the door, Yoon Sung was already out of his seat and held onto her wrist.
“I can drive you there.” Yoon Sung offered.
“It’s ok. I can take a cab.” She quickly and politely turned down the offer and walked out of the meeting room before Yoon Sung could see her face turning a shade redder.

“Why is she acting so weirdly?” Yoon Sung said to himself and took up his phone to send a message to Cece, the forensic in-charge of this case.

----In Adiana’s room---
Adiana closed the door and sank into her seat. As she looked at her table, her eyes fell on the photo frame and she picked it up the photo frame and ran her hand over the picture. The picture that Cosy’s team and her team took at their “last” barbecue. Even if Cosy wasn’t her real sister, she was like a real sister ever since they knew each other from their childhood years and she supported her through everything. For 4 years, Cosy had been trying her best to get Adiana to let go of Jung Hwa and stop being guilty over his death and finally, she decided that it’s time to let  go. As her hand ran over the face of their lost teammate, the memories started coming back.

----The “last” meal---
“Sis!! Bring the other bag of charcoal over please!!” Cosy yelled as she stood by the barbecue pit trying to start the fire.
“You haven’t even finished that bag of charcoal beside the pit.” Adiana shouted in reply and walked off towards the toilet.
“I will take it.” Yoon Sung said loudly as he took the bag of charcoal and went over to Cosy before helping her to start the fire.
“Aish. Where are all the guys and the food? They said they were reaching soon.” Seon Hee grumbled as she fanned herself with her hand.
“Tsk. Can you stop acting like some bimbo like seriously? It’s like 20 degrees Celsius and you are saying that you feel hot?” Gyuri said as she rolled her eyes at Seon Hee and the both of them when into their usual “friendly” bickering with the topic about the definition of hot.
“She’s hot because I am here.” Cosy walked towards them and slung an arm over Gyuri’s shoulder and gave them one of her egoistic look.
“Cosy, shouldn’t you be helping Yoon Sung to start the fire?” Gyuri took the arm off and moved her in so that Cosy could have a seat.
As Cosy sat down, she sat back-to-back with Gyuri and the both were leaning on each other as she answered, “How long would it take for a physics genius to start a fire? Like honestly? He doesn’t need my help.”

“Where are the people who are bringing the food??? I need food!” Cosy continued and suddenly sat back up straight when she saw 5 figures walking towards them with white Styrofoam boxes.
“OH YES!!” Cosy and Seon Hee both jumped out of their seats and hi-fived each other as they ran towards the 5 figures to help them carry the styrofoam boxes.

“Hyun Ae! Sang Bum! Let me help you with this!” Cosy said as she took the smaller styrofoam box that they stacked on the one that they are carrying together.
“Hye Mi! Jung Hwa! I will help you with that!” Seon Hee said and took the smaller styrofoam box too.
“YA!!! I am carrying the big one all by myself, and you girls offered help to the rest. How biased are you girls man?!” Jae Suk shouted from behind the stack of boxes that he was holding.
“Jae Suk. You were the one who volunteered to carry alone and carry more, if you forgot.” Hyun Ae said bluntly.
“Remember how we were discussing that we should switch every few minutes while carrying the boxes? Who was the one who said ‘Let the strong, good looking, y guy do the job’ ?” Hyun Ae continued, sarcasm oozing from her words.
“Hahaha! Sorry my fellow egoistic teammate. But I am not gonna help you in this. You totally deserve it.” Cosy gave a hearty laugh and said as she placed the box that she was holding onto the table beside the barbecue pit. And the sound ‘thump’ could be heard continuously as the rest placed the boxes onto the table.
“I was just following the footsteps of my leader! Is that wrong?” Jae Suk questioned as he placed the last box down on the table.
“Nope. Just that you have to learn the art of self-praising without making people dislike you. So, my suggestion is, you should just not do it until you master it.” Cosy said in reply as she went over to the barbecue pit to see how was Yoon Sung coping with the fire.
Suddenly, a arm slung over her shoulder and a voice started speaking beside her right ear. “Mind giving me an one-to-one lesson on mastering the art?” said the voice with the intention of seducing but a failed one.
“I wouldn’t mind to give you an one-to-one lesson on mastering the art of accuracy with you as my target.” Cosy said in the most seductive tone that she could while sliding her right hand slowly up the arm.
“If you do forget, let me remind you that I am your boss.” Cosy continued before she grabbed the arm suddenly and flung the person right into the swimming pool that were back-facing them who were at the barbecue pit.
A huge splash was heard and cheers from the girls as Jae Suk reappeared on the water surface.
“Cosy FTW!” Gyuri shouted as she went up to her boss to give her a hug.
“Serve you right Jae Suk!” Hye Mi shouted as she and Hyun Ae continued mixing the fruit punch.
“Come on. Don’t be that bad to him. He’s harmless.” Jung Hwa said as he walked towards the poolside and extended his hand out to Jae Suk in an attempt to help him get out of the water.
As Jae Suk took the hand, he gave it a hard pull and Jung Hwa in a panic, grabbed the closest hand to him which happened to Cosy and Gyuri whose arm Cosy was holding on to received the impact and the 3 of them fell into the water with a loud splash.
Adiana who was by then back from the toilet and was helping Yoon Sung to spread honey on the chicken wings turned to him and said “Drama time.” Yoon Sung looked back at her and gave her a “I Know Right” look and they looked towards the pool to hear a loud “YA!” which they could recognized as the voice of Cosy’s.

“Feel the wrath of your boss.” Hyun Ae who was filling her cup with the freshly mixed fruit punch took a sip and said to Hye Mi who was having her turn with the dispenser.
“Well, we see it almost everyday.” Hye Mi said as she finished filling her cup and stood side by side with Hyun Ae and both looked at the swimming pool.

Seon Hee was staring and fanning at the barbecue pit just to wait for the sign to signal the start of the mission to fill her hungry stomach. As the pieces of charcoal glowed bright red, Seon Hee who had been oblivious to what was happening at the pool just looked up and announced to the world that the barbecue party can be started just before the drama could unfold. As she happily started placing chicken wings on the pit, the 4 wet bodies came out of the pool without starting a drama, and of course, no one saw the signal exchange between the 4 of them.

“This is weird. Totally not Cosy. Unless--” Adiana was cut off as Cosy just suddenly tackled her and both fell into the swimming pool and of course, Yoon Sung was pulled along by the surprised Adiana.
Not having any time to react to what had happened, Hyun Ae and Hye Mi found themselves being picked up by 2 guys and the 4 of them entered the pool with a big splash. Gyuri suddenly gave Seon Hee who was happily cooking the chicken a back hug before Gyuri spun and pulled her down together into the pool.

“I KNEW IT!” Adiana shouted as she splashed water on Cosy.
“How is it possible that you will let Jae Suk off like that!” She continued her words and actions.
“Bipolar to the max.” Hyun Ae said and started splashing at her too.
“I declare war!” Jung Hwa announced as everyone started the water splashing and “intellectual exchange” before Seon Hee suddenly shrieked about the chicken wings and ran out of the pool.
As the rest slowly proceeded out of the pool, the guys already took off their shirts while the girls were only left with their bikinis. Each took up a cup of fruit punch and raised it up into the air in the middle of the circle they formed before they said a loud cheer and drank the cup. The barbecue party started officially as Kpop was blasted from the speakers and food continued sizzling on the pit.

They were at the poolside villa that they rented, to enjoy their “last” day and “last” meal with each other, as no one knows what will happen during the mission. Despite all the cheerful smiles on their faces as well as the hearty laughs, all have the same thoughts running through their minds. The thought that this, might really be their last meal. Even though all of them wish that all 10 of them can make it out alive, but they also knew how dangerous this mission was.

“Guys! Let’s take a photo together!” Seon Hee said as she finished setting up the camera, interrupting the thoughts of the rest. The group started gathering and posed with their brightest smile and a sudden flash and--

----In Adiana’s room---
Adiana’s thought was interrupted by the knocking of the door.
“Come in.” Adiana said as she placed the photo frame back onto the table.
Anna walked into the room and stood in front of her table.
“Adiana, I’m sorry about the incident today. I was worried about my brother and---” Anna was cut off as Adiana held a hand to stop her before asking her to sit down on the chair.
“I understand your situation. If it was my brother, I doubt I can even answer the phone nicely. And you can just call me Adi, like the rest of the team. And you came in for?” Adiana said as Anna took her seat.
“Mind if I ask why did you choose me?” Anna blurted the question out and started observing Adiana’s reaction.
“You remind me of a certain someone. Someone who had such a strong passion that he pulled through all the difficulties and persevered to be in the CID finally. Unfortunately, he couldn’t beat this one difficulty called death. He left us in a mission 4 years back.” Adiana said with her fingers intertwined on the table, the right thumb rubbing over the left one.
“Is it the Jung Hwa guy?” Anna asked.
“Who told you? Yes it’s him. He really had the passion that no one could match, until I saw your portfolio. I must say I am impressed, seeing all the difficulties you went through to get in. I know you will do well.” Adiana said.
“Thank you. Er… I think I will get going to the hospital.” Anna stood up as she felt a sudden awkwardness and walked towards the door. Before she could open it, Adiana said, “Send me regards to the members. And by the way, you will get used to how I do things as time goes by.” With that, Anna turned the knob, walked out and closed the door behind her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you guys were looking forward to the investigation results but I had to add the ex team-mate in cause his death is a very important foundation for the big event that will happen in end of story 2. That's all I can say:P But anyway, really thanks for all the support and the comments!! It really gives me the motivation to write. And saying that...Check out my new fanfic
>>>>>>>The Revival of Time<<<<<<<<<<< I promise you that it's good with a unique storyline and filled with fun. You will read and laugh along with it or go "Awww..So sweet." HAHAHA! So what are you waiting for!! Go and check the story out(Comment and subscribe kkaes!)! But that doesn't mean that I won't continue writing this story. This story is of more priority as of now!(: So please love both stories as much and give them support~ Comments for this chapter is much appreciated! I love seeing those orange words at the right side of my screen when I logon to AFF!(:

-Cosy

Adiana shall not comment on anything coz she's having writer's block , and all the internship stuffs and school work is crashing down on her now >< But she shall do her best on continuing the storyyyyy !

-Adiana